PDA

View Full Version : side-swept bangs gone wrong - help!

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone! It's been a while. Well I decided i wanted those nice side-swept bangs to soften the look of my updos. I also decided to get some long layers to help my wave come back. It tends to go away the longer my hair gets. I don't want to lose it!

So I went to this woman who was highly recomended to me. I went a couple of time over about 5 months for trims. She did exactly what I wanted, so I thought this would turn out good. It is so awful. I think I just have really bad luck with hair dressers. The layers look choppy, but I can hide that in updos until it is long enough to cut out. The real problem is the bangs. They are too long, I think, I the are very choppy and I think she put way too much hair in them. Also they just don't look like any side-swept bangs I have ever seen. When my hair is up, it looks like I have one of those cuts where the hair is longer inthe front and really short int he back.

What do you think I should do about this? I feel like trying to cut it myself. Surely I can't do a worse job than this. But my husband thinks I should go back to her, but I am scared of her now. She told me they look "sexy". Bleck. I could go somewhere else, but I don't even really now if they are fixable. Do you think they are? What could be done? Should I just wear a head scarf and grow it out? This is totally not what I wanted. Maybe I should jsut get extensions and forget about the whole thing. Any advice is appreciated. I would love it if they could be fixed into the side-swept ones I like . Thanks!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/DSC01234.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/DSC01235.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/DSC01236.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/DSC01239.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/DSC01242.jpg

Merkaba
September 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I really don't think they look that bad....at least she cut them too long and not too short. However, if you want the proper cut for bangs I recommend bringing in SEVERAL pics of the bangs you are talking about- celebrity photos are great for this. Also, I tie the hair I dont want cut back when I am there, to make sure the bangs don't extend too far back.

Good luck :)

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Good idea, I wish I would have tied out what I didn't want cut. Maybe if I go back I can pull out what I don't want cut, and then have them fix the rest. I just don't know if I should risk going back or if i should risk going somewhere new. I'll have to find some pics of what I like. I just hope they can fix it.

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Has anyone cut their own side-swept bangs? Anyone have directions for doing it? I really am thinking of giving this a go myself.

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, they don't look that bad and they might be fixable. You just have to realise now, if you want them long again or if you prefer to risk it all to get the look you wanted in the first place. If you decide to redo them then make sure to take a picture of what you want to the hairdresser and make her/him swear she/he can do it properly... You just have to be strict with them because they are generally very free handed if you know what I mean...

That's just my opinion... I wish you the best luck!

spidermom
September 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
That's similar to my fringe, and I don't think it looks bad at all. I'm sorry you ended up with something you didn't want. I second the above advice. Find pictures of exactly what you want and take them with you. Secure back all of the hair you do not want to have cut. Since you've had good experiences with this stylist before, I think she deserves another chance. There was probably a failure in communication the first time. Styling salons will usually revise a recent haircut for free (at least they do around here).

Simplicity
September 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Can you play around with the part location? I have short sideswept bangs and my front part starts way over on the side and then moves toward the middle as it goes back along the top of my head. I usually have to play with it a few times each day before I get the look I want. I struggled for months to get the sideswept look and kept studying pics of bangs like that to figure out how they do that and the part location was key for me.

Your part looks pretty close to center. Maybe if you start from the side and drape them across your forehead you'll be closer to the look you want. Let us know how it goes. Your hair is very pretty and I'm sure you look lovely even though your disappointed.

lynnala
September 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I think they look cool! I see what she did, leaving the front long and tapering up towards the ears, kind of backward from what you wanted, probably. I cut my own sideswept bangs all the time. I don't really have a trick for it, I just have decided I like the sideswept bangs at about bottom of ear level, and I trim at an angle, downward. I like the messy look though, so I'm never too particular about it. I also trim my 'sideburn' hair at about mid-neck, so that it hangs down below the bangs. I'm away from home, and my camera for a couple of days, when I get home I'll take a pic for you. But again, I like your look! But I also think you could 'fix' the cut by reversing the angle, so that it starts shorter at the front and tapers down. It looks like there is enough hair there. You might have to cut it a bit shorter than you would like, but it will grow in quickly.

lynnala
September 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Check out this pic of Angelina Jolie that I posted when I was trying to achieve this hairdo. It looks like the cut you have! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11384

kunibob
September 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I actually think that looks fantastic, but I understand the frustration of not getting the look you wanted. Given that they're long, it probably won't be too difficult to get this corrected, as others have said. Good luck!

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone :) I think my whole problem is that it just wasn't what I wanted, and it kind of shocked me b/c I thought I was clear about what I wanted. :confused:

Little_bird, I think I am just nervous now about going back! I am looking for some pictures of what I want. I know I've seen it on lots of people and celebs. I'm not usually strict, but I am going to have to just suck it up and do it!

Spidermom, maybe I should give her another chance. She's really sweet, and I think she was upset after the cut because I was kind of freaked out. It just isn't what I had in mind. I wanted something to make my face look rounder and shorter, and I feel like this just makes my face look longer than it did before. :(

Simplicity, you part yours way over on the side? Do you have to do anything else to it to make it work for you? I am worried that my wavy hair might be a problem for this too. I am playing with it though. I'll post pics if I get anything good.

lynnala, that looks a lot like what I have! Mine is thicker, I think. I think it looks better with less hair like in the picture. You put your finger on it, it is pretty much the reverse of what I wanted. I would love to see pictures. I have liked the long side-swept for some time now. Do you trim them dry? Is it pretty much just an angled cut starting from where you want the shortest piece? It doesn't sound too hard, but then again, I am terrible with my own hair .

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Kunibob, you really like it? Do you all really think it looks good? Maybe I should wait a day or two before I decide what to do.

Do you all think side-swept would look better, or does this look better? I know that's probably a hard question to answer. I just didn't think this looked good on me. Let me try to find a picture of the kind of thing I wanted.

Ohio Sky
September 8th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am really not that partial to fringe as long as it is in your pics... if it were on me, I would trim about 1/2 the volume of what she cut up another inch or two, and keep the rest back. They are long enough that you could probably get them to stay in an updo if you decide you want less hair in your fringe.

Another thing I think maters is how wavy your hair is. Most of the sideswept looks I've seen are with straight or straightened hair, and you're just not going to get that tidy straight look without a flatiron.

But, aside from all that, they don't really look bad. I think waiting a day or two as you said is a good idea.

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I was after something like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/ab3.jpg

What do you think?

Ohio Sky
September 8th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I was after something like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/ladyceleste_album/ab3.jpg

What do you think?

You could possibly pull off something like that with your current cut, but as I said, it may take a flatiron... and maybe even hairspray... Just mess around with different parts and stuff and see if you can do anything like that. If you can't, it will at least give you an idea of exactly how much hair to cut, etc.

ladyceleste
September 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Just mess around with different parts and stuff and see if you can do anything like that. If you can't, it will at least give you an idea of exactly how much hair to cut, etc.

That's a really good point. At least it might give me some direction. It is a lot longer than I wanted. I think something like the picture wouldn't be as obtrusive and would soften my face. What I have now doesn't really give me the softening I wanted.

I haven't used any kind of styling tool for a while. I don't even think I own anything other than a hair dryer, and I use that on the dog more than I use it on myself. He likes it :)

GlennaGirl
September 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The only difference between what she has and what you have is that hers are down over her forehead more. Yours look like the natural parting where the hair sort of "lifts" up and back from each side of the part...a normal way for hair to lie as otherwise, we'd all have hair directly in our eyes. :D

The trendy sideswept bangs look is actual.y somewhat of an unnatural way for the hair to lie, so what you have to do is either blow dry just the bangs (don't anybody cringe! I do it) or make, as some have said here, a more to-the-side part, and clip it low along your forehead on a slant, or in other words, pretty much exactly as you see the person in this picture wearing it, and let them dry that way.

If all else fails, and your hair after drying just won't stay that way, stick in a couple bobby pins that are very close in color to your hair. Even if they're slightly visible, that's trendy too. Good luck! :) I personally love this look.

Arctic_Mama
September 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I think it looks very cute :) I have wavy hair with sideswept bangs and the wave actually gives the bangs a lot more life, which I think is good.

I always indicate I want SHALLOW bangs, no more than 1/2 an inch into the hair. I then start a part over one eye and sweep back diagonally until the part at the back of my head is in line with the other eye - It keeps the bangs in order and puts the attention over an eye, not a nose :)

You could always trim them yourself. I pull them across to the other side of my face (crossing my nose) and then cut straight across. Then when you let them go they have a nice, natural taper on them. *shrug* It's something you have to practice with, but I wouldn't be too hard on your hair, I think it looks lovely. I TOTALLY understand the shock of getting some 180 from what you want and I hope they grow on you or are simple to fix.

manderly
September 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Looks to me like you actually DID get what you wanted. You just need to accept that they won't be wash and wear to do the whole sideswept thing girls with straight hair do.

If you utilize a flat iron or hair dryer and go against the center part, forcing your hair to actually sweep the the side you will be happy with your cut :)

You can also go a tad shorter by yourself.

Google how to cut side swept bangs. I did once and got a whole bunch of video links on Youtube and others.

Hope you find what makes you happy :)

Tangles
September 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Honestly, they look like a regular face framing fringe to me.

Hue
September 8th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I think it's a very attractive look for you, but like others above, I can understand that you are frustrated with not getting what you wanted. Looking at the picture you posted, I wonder if some aloe vera gel and combing damp layers off to the side, over your forehead (held in place with clips? headband? maybe scarf tied across forehead?) to see if straighter fringe could be encouraged without heat styling?

Anje
September 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I agree with the above posters -- the cut you have probably can achieve the look you show in those pictures. Notice how deep her side part is (quite a lot past the center of her eye) compared to yours (roughly lined up with the start of the eyebrow). If you parted that deep and can coax the bangs into lying that way, you should have the look you want.

Yours look like the natural parting where the hair sort of "lifts" up and back from each side of the part...a normal way for hair to lie as otherwise, we'd all have hair directly in our eyes. :D
:D I wish. Mine goes forward, if it wasn't dried pulled back.

melikai
September 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Hey there.

Seems like there is some sort of side swept bang plague going around, in terms of issues with them. I posted just yesterday about what to do with mine, and I think the issue was that my hair wasn't parted far enough to the side.

I *had* had them parted further to the side, but then as the months progressed I started slowly shifting it closer and closer to center, for whatever reason.

In any case, I cut (or used to - I've decided to grow them out) my bangs myself, and used this instruction video:

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/57954_women-hair-side-swept.htm

I agree with what one poster said, about it not being the most natural way for hair to lie, and ultimately I got sick of having to constantly fuss over them! Of course, I'll probably forget the troubles they caused and see only the "bang rosy glow" and cut them again in 4 years. ;)

Hope this helps.

inertia
September 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I've had bangs in nearly every style there is, both the one you have and the one in the photo. They're not the same cut. The girl in the photo has bangs that appear to be around eye-length. Hers isn't a wash-and-go style; it requires a blow-dryer and a LOT of hairspray. Otherwise it'll fall into the eyes.

If you don't want to use a blow-dryer or products, the current cut is probably just right. Part it way over on the side (around the outside corner of your eye), use a comb to sweep it across the forehead, and secure with a couple of pins. You could go a little shorter for this, but not by too much or there won't be anything for the pins to grab onto. And I don't think the hairdresser cut too much hair into the bangs. IMO it's about the right amount, neither too thick nor too thin.

ladyshannonanne
September 9th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Honestly, I think the bangs look really cute and you might just need some time to get used to them. I got really chunky bangs cut (by a friend--bad idea) once. When I say really chunky, I mean they started almost at the crown of my head. I was bad. It was very, very bad. But they grew out. Yours are long enough that you probably won't even notice them in a few months. Best of wishes. I know that can be super frustrating.

utdesertrunner
September 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I have had those side swept bangs on and off for about 5 years and I like them when I am needing something different w/o cutting length. They do take a bit of product to make them look like the picture though. I would part them about where my pupil in the my eye is (does that make sense??) and then flat iron them and use wax or hairspray to make them stay. It takes a little practice and playing around. After a few days they would stay on their own but I still had to use a bit of product.

I think they are flattering. Don't be scared to go back and have her work some more on them. I would always have the stylist cut them longer and then she would trim and trim until they were how I wanted. They don't mind and most will trim your bangs for you for free between visits. And I'm sure she'll fix it for free too.

I think yours are very cute and if they are a bit shorter will look more like the picture you posted. Good luck!