PDA

View Full Version : Finding a stylist

Rairity
December 23rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know of a decent stylist in the North West area of Indiana?

heidi w.
December 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM
I know of no stylist in Indiana. But I know how to find one.

Here are my tips: I hope they help you.
1. Find a stylist that is favorable to long hair. Interview them. Go before the appt. and ask questions during a non-busy time, when they can allow time.

2. Wash your own hair prior to the appt.

3. Measure hair before you begin and ask for a specific amount to tbe taken off, as in so many inches.

4. Look for an Older stylist as they've usually had many clients and have seen and done it all. That way they're less inclined to experiment on You.

5. Attend the appt. on time, and without a friend. You don't need friends influencing you.

6. If the stylist is not there that day, do not stay. Reschedule and go on the OTHER day.

7. Bring your own detangling comb, wide tooth preferred and possibly some detangler spray or something to use for detangling.
heidi w.

mallorykay13
December 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I am not in your area, but here's what I did to find MY favorite stylist. I went with DBF to his (female) barber to get his hair cut. She always does a great job. I had my hair up, and then was very clear with communicating with her. I told her exactly what I wanted and to tell me exactly what she was doing the entire time. She even asked me before she wetted my hair down. She was fantastic and I tipped her well because I know I wont be in there but every 6 months or so. Barbers tend to be more respectful and less style oriented. Just food for thought.

long&blonde
December 28th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I look in windows of salons till I spot a stylist, guy or woman, with hair obviously theirs, past waist length.
That's all I look for-to me it indicates they love long hair if they wear it themselves-and they share my concept on what "long" is too.
I found 2 stylists this way.
one quit to have a family, the other remains the only person I trust around me with scissors.

lapushka
December 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I look in windows of salons till I spot a stylist, guy or woman, with hair obviously theirs, past waist length.
That's all I look for-to me it indicates they love long hair if they wear it themselves-and they share my concept on what "long" is too.
I found 2 stylists this way.
one quit to have a family, the other remains the only person I trust around me with scissors.

I wouldn't let outward appearances fool me. My mom once had a stylist with plain, wavy, waist length hair, always in a low ponytail. She was scissor happy and totally cut the hair up into styles, even if you just wanted a trim.

Tini'sNewHair
December 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Why not do it yourself? I S&D only, and my hair is still in great condition but you can use the Feye method if you really need to trim.

Lyv
December 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Michael Warrens in Elkhart IN is really good thats where I used to go before we moved but that's Michiana not Northwest. I'd ask around your area and then go on a few consultations to get a feel for the stylist and when you find someone SHOW them how much you want to cut an inch to them seems to be much larger than an inch to us lol.

HintOfMint
December 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I've found Yelp reviews to be quite helpful. It can be useful for picking out a particular stylist or a salon that has a style that jives with yours. I've found that I've outgrown (in length, that is) "edgier" salons that do shorter, punky, avant-garde styles, so I avoid salons that specialize in those styles since they aren't always too keen on a conservative half an inch cut with some layers. Side note: a shame really, since I've found those salons to have the most talented stylists. But the disappointment they feel when I take my hair down and ask for the most boring of cuts, is palpable.