PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

sagremus
December 23rd, 2013, 12:37 AM
Any tips for managing dandruff? I've been using jojoba oil on my scalp before washes, but I still get a lot of dandruff, particularly in the front part of my hair.

Tini'sNewHair
December 23rd, 2013, 03:28 AM
Im having the same problem. So far i tried paharmacy treatments,oilive oil, coconut oil, anti drandruff shampos and nothing worked :(

martyna_22
December 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM
I've tried many things and the only ones that seemed to help me were cassia (not for long, though) and very mild, herbal shampoos (Siberian ones).
Beet juice helped ma a little as well, but I had to apply it to my scalp before every washing..
Oils even made my dandruff worse.

ladyfey
December 23rd, 2013, 04:31 AM
Dandruff or dry scalp? It is important to know, because the recommendations are very different for both. Dandruff involves an over growth of yeast on the scalp and there are medications which help decrease the amount of yeastie beasties. I had a lot of luck with Dandrene or Nizoral shampoos, both contain a fungicide for the yeast. Now my scalp does just fine with a low pH shampoo and continued frequent (every other day) washings. (I have dandruff, not dry scalp.)

Flor
December 23rd, 2013, 04:38 AM
I hear mustard oil is great for treating dandruff. I would guess ACV rinses would be good for it too. I've stopped having occasional dandruff issues since I switched to shampoo bars with ACV rinses. DH used to have it more often than me and he hasn't complained in a while either (he only uses shampoo bars, without ACV, since it gives his hair more texture for styling). We both find shampoo bars significantly less drying and also less irritating than any conventional shampoo we've ever used. But like with any product, it depends on the person.

Naiadryade
December 23rd, 2013, 08:45 AM
ACV helped me somewhat. Castor oil has all but cured it.

Specifically, castor oil with the addition of essential oils (at about 2-3% total): lavender, clary sage, texas cedarwood, lemon, wild thyme, geranium, and rosemary. (You can cut it with a lighter oil if you like to make it less viscous--I usually use sweet almond at about 25% of the mix, though I may try something even lighter soon). I believe it helps both my dry scalp (which is an issue for me) and the fungal dandruff (which has been an issue for much longer). It is a penetrating oil, especially for the skin, and it and some of the EO's I use are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

I massage it into my scalp every 1-2 nights and I don't get itchy or flaky. If I forget for a few days, the itchies come back and then the next time I apply the oil, there is instant relief along with the sloughing off of the dandruff/dry skin I allowed to form. So I just try not to forget!

meteor
December 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Dandruff is a symptom, not a medical diagnosis, so you need to figure out (with a family doctor or dermatologist) what exactly is the cause for your dandruff.
Dandruff/flaking can be caused by SD, dry, irritated scalp, psoriasis, eczema...

If it's seborrhoeic dermatitis, you should definitely avoid things like olive oil and other oils rich in oleic acid, as they feed bacteria and yeast (malassezia), same as sebum does. This means that you need to wash your hair pretty often with medicated shampoo (and they are drying, unfortunately) until you get the condition under control. Stretching washes, using WO or CO-method is not a good idea in this case.
After getting it under control, following up with a mild, SLS/SLES-free shampoo is probably going to be enough.
If you hate anything chemical, there's some support for the idea that aloe vera, honey, ACV and certain herbs have mild anti-bacterial properties and can help a bit.

If your scalp is super-dry and tight and you see tiny, white dry flakes, then maybe moisturizing your scalp is the way to go, as well as stretching washes. I like things like aloe, honey, neem oil (anti-bacterial) in shampoo or straight.
Flaking and itch can even be caused by sensitivities/allergic reaction to SLS or many other things in shampoos. It's obvious when you notice more problems the first 2 days after shampooing and then the symptoms subside. In this case look for a mild, non-irritating shampoo, or experiment with WO/CO/herbal/clay washes.

But you should first get a medical diagnosis, because the solutions for these conditions are very, very different.

Naiadryade
December 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Meteor's got good advice! And I would just like to point out that unlike olive oil, castor oil is very low in oleic acid. Far from feeding bacteria and yeast, it is actually anti-microbial and anti-fungal.

slyviolet
December 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
My dandruff and itchiness along the first inch or so along my hairline have both been solved by wetting a cotton pad and then doing 1-2 douses* from a bottle of 100% tea tree oil onto it, then pressing that down onto my scalp where the itchiness and flakes are bothering me. I do smell a bit like tea tree oil for a while (it's a rather astringent smell, I happen to like it) but it works *instantly* for itch relief and the flakes don't come back for days.

*ETA - when I say "douses" I mean taking the cap off, pressing the damp cotton pad against the mouth of the bottle, and doing a quick partial upturn of the bottle. It doesn't take much. I was told by the employee at the natural grocery where I got the tea tree oil never to put it directly onto my skin, always to dilute it with some water.

sagremus
December 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks all. I've been thinking about seeing a dermatologist in the new year. I want to get my scalp issues under control. Generally my scalp is more oily and itchy, so that's why I considered dandruff, but it may be over-compensating for dryness(?). They small, white flakes, and my dad also has a history of eczema, but it also looks like a mild case of dermatitis at times ... medicated shampoos haven't really helped in the past and since my hair is super dry, they just make it brittle and worse. The rest of my skin is dry and itchy and requires thick moisturizer (even parts of my face), and I often have to take allergy medication to help with the "itchiness."

I'm a little nervous to use tea tree oil as I tried it as a spot treatment back when I was at my wit's end with acne, and it was super drying. Maybe I'll spot-test it. Funny thing was I was planning to head to the store after breakfast to pick up some castor oil, so this may be where I start.

meteor
December 23rd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Essential oils like tea tree, lemon, clary sage, basil, bay, etc. are good. But be careful to dilute very, very well either in water, in some rinse (e.g. chamomile tea, calendula rinse, green tea, etc), or in some carrier oil (mustard, neem, castor are good as anti-dandruff base oils). I sometimes add a drop or two of tea tree or neem oil directly in my shampoo. Please remember that oils can disrupt your skin barrier and irritate it, so be very careful and go by how your scalp looks and feels after.
EOs can be drying and/or irritating, so try a patch test first. Check out this source for different qualities of EOs: http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp

Commercial EO blends are available too, and they are good for anti-dandruff management, hair growth and overall health of your scalp: you can check out Chrome Dome (http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1395/chrome-dome-essential-oil-blend) and Nightblooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil (http://www.etsy.com/listing/99078467/triple-moon-hair-anointing-oil-4oz-full). There are many others, and you can certainly make your own.

Katrine
December 23rd, 2013, 03:01 PM
I was diagnosed with psoriasis (with dandruff symptoms) many years ago. I have found that following up my shampoo with an ACV rinse helps my symptoms. Also, if I notice a spot on my scalp that is really itching I just put a drop of eucalyptus oil in that spot and gently rub. I have a lavender mist spray (with lavender EO) that I added a drop of tea tree EO, 2 drops rosemary EO and 2 drops eucalyptus oil that I shake and spray on my scalp when the itchies start on 2nd day hair. It helps really calm it down and helps me make it to the next day when I wash.

I have found that switching to more natural cleansing has really helped my scalp issues. I was experimenting with homemade shampoos and have just started using soap nuts which has helped my scalp as well.

Firefox7275
December 24th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks all. I've been thinking about seeing a dermatologist in the new year. I want to get my scalp issues under control. Generally my scalp is more oily and itchy, so that's why I considered dandruff, but it may be over-compensating for dryness(?). They small, white flakes, and my dad also has a history of eczema, but it also looks like a mild case of dermatitis at times ... medicated shampoos haven't really helped in the past and since my hair is super dry, they just make it brittle and worse. The rest of my skin is dry and itchy and requires thick moisturizer (even parts of my face), and I often have to take allergy medication to help with the "itchiness."

I'm a little nervous to use tea tree oil as I tried it as a spot treatment back when I was at my wit's end with acne, and it was super drying. Maybe I'll spot-test it. Funny thing was I was planning to head to the store after breakfast to pick up some castor oil, so this may be where I start.

Dandruff is just a lay term for the symptom of flaky scalp with or without pruritis (itching), the most common diagnosis is seborrhoeic dermatitis (greasy dandruff). Atopic eczema is AKA atopic dermatitis - other possibilities include irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis. Basically several possible diagnoses are from the same 'family' of inflammatory conditions.

Both tea tree and castor oils can be irritant (mild form of inflammation) so unsuitable for all forms of dermatitis. With your others skin issues you really need a formal diagnosis, it's quite possible to have more than one.