PDA

View Full Version : Do you notice other people's hair? *Poll*

WoolSweater
December 22nd, 2013, 03:34 PM
Do you notice other people's hair, be it the cut, or how thick it is, etc, and do you compare it to yours?

neko_kawaii
December 22nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Sometimes I notice. Why would I compare it to mine?

Madora
December 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Only if they have waist length or longer hair that is in good condition. Although I once saw a girl with shoulder length auburn hair that glistened so beautifully that I followed her a few steps..from a respectful distance, of course.

I don't do the comparison thing because everyone is different. I did have ginormous hair envy once when I saw a young 20 something with the most incredible thick knee length braid, with a 6 inch tassel. It was ash blonde and in such marvelous condition. I often wonder if she ever had to cut it later in life.

ArienEllariel
December 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Sometimes. It depends on the hair. Like today I saw what appeared to be a natural golden/platinum blonde about apl with waves like Daenerys Targaryen so I did oggle a bit.

swearnsue
December 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
I always look at everyone's hair, the length, condition, hair toys and style. I wonder if long hair is all natural or extensions.

Lyv
December 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
I always do. Hair has always been one of the first things I notice about someone but no I don't usually compare mine to anyone elses.

ravenreed
December 22nd, 2013, 04:08 PM
I do notice hair. Long, short, natural, dyed, I am mostly interested in people who look like they are having fun with their hair. I also notice condition, whether it looks dry, and split ends.

Gumball
December 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
I notice hair, but I never compare it to mine. I might wonder what braids could be done to it, but that's about it. :silly:

WoolSweater
December 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Just got the poll bit up, make sure to vote. : )

(took me a long time to figure out how haha)

WoolSweater
December 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
I always notice, and I do compare. Not in a "is mine better?!" way, but if their hair seems to be the same type as mine, I consider the different ways I could get mine to be healthier looking (I'm in the middle of trying to achieve beautiful hair). I also notice "fried" hair. : (

leslissocool
December 22nd, 2013, 04:25 PM
I don't compare it to mine UNLESS it's somewhat similar in wave pattern and texture, then i wonder how they got it to style that way :lol:.

I do notice hair a lot, mostly hair styles. But my SIL telling me I hid my hair and i shoukld cut it to shoulder and style it made me bite my tongue a bit. Her hair is REALLY damaged, I just got my hair to be healthy and chemical damage free I'd hate to go back to having damaged shoulder length hair, even if it looked like hers. I thought, if I told her that it would just be out of spite so I kept my mouth shut. But she needs a deep oil treatment pronto.

Nebulae
December 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Sometimes if I'm bored I try to guess people's hair types :p Immediate thought following my guess; am I hanging out too much on LHC? Haha..
I only rarely compare it to my own, but the other day I walked behind a possible hair twin! Otherwise if I pay attention, I usually notice exceptional length (waist or longer which is less common), health, and/or a pretty color.

minxe
December 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
I always notice, but I only compare if it's prettier than mine... I get jealous :p

Foxylocks
December 22nd, 2013, 05:46 PM
I always notice, and I do compare. Not in a "is mine better?!" way
Yes, I as well. I like seeing different kinds of hair, and I become a bit envious of people who have ponytails that are far thicker than mine.

Islandgrrl
December 22nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
I do always notice, but I don't compare.

TiaKitty
December 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
I notice nearly always, and definitely too much for Cuddles like. He always notices me noticing someone's hair and gets irritated a bit...

I don't compare, unless theirs is similar to mine, though, like Lesli... Theirs is theirs and mine is mine... neither is inherently better!

WoolSweater
December 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
I always look at everyone's hair, the length, condition, hair toys and style. I wonder if long hair is all natural or extensions.

Me too... I notice where the weave begins, or clip ins, or those cool different colour strips, like a bright red strip.

leslissocool
December 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
I notice nearly always, and definitely too much for Cuddles like. He always notices me noticing someone's hair and gets irritated a bit...

I don't compare, unless theirs is similar to mine, though, like Lesli... Theirs is theirs and mine is mine... neither is inherently better!

Yes, when it's similar to mine I often wonder what theyare doing, how they handle it specially if it's in a very good condition. I try not to stalk them when I spot them though!

See Tia I'm a sucker for curls, if I saw you on the street you would certainly get a full head turn and a "oh my look at how pretty!" and cause me to run into a post!

I think when you have come to peace with your hair textur, you can start admiring truly other's and just be in awww at their awesomeness!

LaFlor
December 22nd, 2013, 06:05 PM
I notice everyone's hair. The only comparing I usually do is "why can't I have hair like hers?! :wail:"

sunflowersmiles
December 22nd, 2013, 06:19 PM
I love hair! I am always on the look out for long hairs, or beautiful colors or textures. That is why I am even on this board. I love seeing all of the beautiful hair on here. It is a nice relaxing passtime.

Naiadryade
December 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
I notice other people's hair all the time!! Mostly I admire hair that seems like it is being well taken care of. The only kind of comparing I do is when I see people with HL-TBL hair, I find myself wishing my hair was that long.

chen bao jun
December 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Yes, I do notice other's hair. I don't compare it to mine, though. It's pointless because I'm a very different hairtype than most people who have long hair. Of course mine looks nothing like those with type 1 or 2 and not even much like type 3a or 3b hair and unfortunately I just about never see people with 3c or type 4 hair which is not either fried, short or hidden with a hair weave or wig. Not in real life anyway. It exists a lot on the internet and I wish it were in real life more.
I do see attractive type 3c and type 4 hair that is natural and short (and I mean short as in, ear length and shorter) and I am always sure to compliment people who wear their hair like this, but even counting the shrinkage that our type hair type has, it's just not often very long. I mean, past the shoulders is rare. At least in the areas I frequent.
Not that it is in any way my business, but I don't mind short, well-groomed hair whether often even when straightened (and I love it natural). I can't stand the ubiquitous weaves, though. Now everyone can jump all over for me for being intolerant and not minding my business but I do think 99% of hairweaves I see in the black community are unrealistic, unattractive and a big, giant waste of money. Ditto the wigs.

LauraLongLocks
December 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
I tend to notice dry/damaged hair and split ends. They just seem to be screaming at me to pull out my scissors (I keep a pair in my purse) and begin an S&D session on the person's head. Ha ha! Okay, that would be really freaky/weird to do to a total stranger, or even an acquaintance/friend. When I see lots of splits in someone's hair, I think to myself, "I'm so glad I have learned how to avoid so many ugly splits in my hair," and "I would totally cut my hair if it looked like that." I know, I'm ruthless. Sorry. I just can't stand the look of fried hair. It also makes me want to take my hair down and start an S&D session on my own hair, because I want to ensure mine never looks that way.

I also notice hair lengths. Anything beyond BSL catches my attention, and anything below waist is really nice. Anything classic or longer is WOW hair to me. I'm always thinking to myself, rather smugly, when I see BSL length, "I'm past that length! Woo!" When I see anything at waist or longer, I'm thinking, "I wonder if she is going to grow it longer, or if she's planning to keep it that length or cut it shorter." I'm always noticing whether the long-hairs I see have healthy hair or not. Classic or beyond makes me want to drop to my knees and worship, ha ha!

Hemlines also catch my attention. I like a blunt or slight U hemline, not spindly and wispy. My eye naturally goes up to wherever a good thick hemline would be when I see fairytale ends.

I would definitely notice hair toys, but really, everyone I see with long hair seems to wear theirs down, never in any fun updos. I also don't think there are many really good hair toys available locally.

When I see awesome length, healthy hair, with a thick beautiful hemline, I always stop the person and tell them what an accomplishment it is that they have such nice hair, and how I'm growing mine to great lengths, too. I hope that doesn't bother them, but I figure usually a long-hair knows they are going to get public attention if they wear their hair down or in a braid so that the length can be seen. I'm sure they would rather get positive attention than to get asked if they are going to donate it.

So, yeah, I'm always comparing the hair I see to my own, in one fashion or another.

restless
December 22nd, 2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah I do notice peoples hair and most of all do I like to check out male hairstyles :D

Do I compare my hair to others? Sure, it happens if I see someone with hair longer than waist- then I will compare the lenght and condition. Its not in a competitive "mine´s better than theirs" or anything, its all just for fun and inspiration.

aspartame gram
December 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
I notice other people's hair if it's very damaged and I feel badly for them, and I also notice if their hair is very healthy. I'm also drawn to natural-ish looking hair colors, so whenever I see a fellow long-haired person with mostly virgin or even well-kept dyed hair I stare in awe. Lots of awe. Especially if the person has braided her or his hair. I love braids! :3

I don't really tend to compare it to my own. It might cause me to recall how poorly I handled my hair years ago, before LHC, but that's about the extent of the comparison.

Hatsune Miku
December 23rd, 2013, 12:51 AM
I always compare other people's hair length to mine. If their hair is longer than mine, I get a little jealous and wish my hair could hurry up and grow as long as theirs XD

pixldust
December 23rd, 2013, 01:29 AM
I do look at other people's hair, probably more so since I started growing mine. It could be because it looks to be really shiny and healthy and it gets me wondering what their haircare routine is, if the style particularly suits the person or to figure out if the very long hair is real or extensions. I also do it to get ideas for new ways to wear my own hair. I try not to compare it to mine negatively because that way madness lies, but it's hard not to sometimes.

Dragon
December 23rd, 2013, 02:03 AM
I notice waist plus hair, very curly hair, probably because it's so rare to see, odd coloured hair, cool cuts, bad clip in hair extensions and severely damaged hair. I don't compare others hair to mine.

Alena
December 23rd, 2013, 02:22 AM
I notice anything that stands out. Hip and shorter are pretty normal where I live, so I usually notice hair longer than that. I also notice hair dyed pretty colours!

MaryMarx
December 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM
Yes, and I always compare to my own. Which is so stupid, because it makes me feel like my own hair is useless. It's always thinner than others hair, frizzier, stringier, unrulier and shorter. Need to stop. Can't.

Tota
December 23rd, 2013, 04:13 AM
I notice healthy and shiny hair. The length of it doesn't matter to me at all. I also notice virgin hair because it's so rare here where I live (but not as rare as it used to be a few years ago, yay!).

Cania
December 23rd, 2013, 04:48 AM
I notice hair generally, but only really give it any thought if it is very unusual or strikingly beautiful. I don't tend to think negatively about other peoples hair, and the only hair I compare mine with is my sisters as it is so different! Hers is about 2c and thicker, but shorter so we can share hair toys! Products, not so much...

Agnes Hannah
December 23rd, 2013, 07:12 AM
Anything that is longer than BSL, or in good condition catches my eye. Sometimes I look to see if mine is longer but that is the only comparison I do really. I did see two ladies this week with very fine hair in ponytails, and tried to see if it was finer than mine he he, just to reassure me that other people are fineys too, and I'm not the only one! The ponytails looked alright, they didn't seem as bad as I think mine looks so that cheered me up. Both were shorter than mine, but the condition was very good.

bryana
December 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
I always do. Hair has always been one of the first things I notice about someone but no I don't usually compare mine to anyone elses.

Same! I always always always notice hair first, maybe because I am borderline hair-obsessed. I am always admiring others hair!

ashke50
December 23rd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Do I compare my hair to others? Sure, it happens if I see someone with hair longer than waist- then I will compare the lenght and condition. Its not in a competitive "mine´s better than theirs" or anything, its all just for fun and inspiration.
I compare hair to mine in the sense that I use mine as a starting point, so their hair is longer/shorter, thicker/thinner etc. I mostly look out for interesting hair styles (though most often all I see is ponytails or simple buns). I notice seriously long (hip or longer) hair, especially when it is in good condition! I also notice really damaged hair, and it makes me slightly sad.

Stray_mind
December 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Since i became a member of this forum i look at all people's hair, criticise or compliment it in my head and sometimes compare to my own hair. ;)

mamaherrera
December 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
I too need to stop comparing, because to me it also seems like everyone has more hair than I do, their ponies, braids, whatever are thicker. My husband says, you always look at the ones that are better but you don't see the others that have less than you. The whole "glass is half-empty,half-full" problem I guess.

Vijikanth
December 23rd, 2013, 10:49 AM
From the comments from the fellow long hairs it seems its not good to compare ours with others hair. With regard to length its just the satisfaction, like if mine is better, am happy, or if others hair is better, I would develop an expectation as how long mine would take to reach there. As for as texture and type is concerned, I tend to check how healthy the other party is maintaining...No harm intended.. :)

katiebeans
December 23rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
I always notice other people's hair. I don't necessarily compare it to my own being I can't change mine (natural texture, volume, etc.)

Generally I sit in front during my classes, but if some reason I haven't and I am particularly bored, I can spend the entire 80 minutes examining other people's hair. Guys too :p

But I will look at someone's hair, think about whether it is naturally how it is or not and what kind of products and techniques they use. Every now and then I might compare it to mine in a sense of "oh, if I wanted to use heat styling I might be able to get that look" but not much more than that. I didn't realize how much time I probably spend doing this until I decided to reply to this thread. It's all fun and game really :)

Kikina
December 23rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Since I've started to grow my hair:
-other people's hair is always long
-other people always have better hair color
-or other people's hair looks good without dye
-other people's hair is always somehow better-looking in any way...

:disbelief :boohoo: :shake:

TheVegan6
December 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
I always notice other people's hair, and I do see if their ends are better than mine or if their buns are holding better than mine, which they always are and it blows my mind!:slap:

makeminea99
December 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
I do notice other people's hair, but I don't really compare it to mine. I like it when someone's done something a bit different with it - be it length, or cut, or colour! Plus it's great when I'm out and about with my little boys, they notice people's hair too and will comment loudly, we were in a cafe once and my youngest (aged 6) said, 'look at that lady's beautiful pink hair, Mummy!!!' I was not embarrassed - I agreed with him, she did indeed have very beautiful pink hair! :)

velorutionista
December 23rd, 2013, 03:42 PM
I only notice if something noteworthy catches my eye (like a great red, or really intricate bun or something). I don't really compare it to mine--folks are so different, anyhow!

Callifornia
December 23rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
I always notice other people's hair, condition, color, cut- ect. However, I don't normally compare it to my own hair.

nerdybrunette
December 23rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
I voted yes and compare it to my own. I'm having hair loss issues (which my derm recently diagnosed as telogen effluvium) and always compare their hair to mine (not to be mean but to notice if it's healthier, thicker, etc to my own. I'm sad about my massive hair loss (1/2+ of my hair is GONE) and I desperately want my beautiful, THICK, shiny hair back! :(

TrapperCreekD
December 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
I've started noticing people's hair a lot more after joining LHC. I occasionally compare to my own but it's more wow, beautiful color/length/texture/style/etc., or noticing a crispy critter that is desperately in need of a SMT.

0xalis
December 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM
I am always checking out other people's hair. I LOVE seeing old people with long, silver/white hair.
Regardless of the length, I will swoon over healthy hair. And yeah, I cringe at damaged hair, but to each their own. I'd never say anything to them, I'm not a jerk! I never compliment anyone's hair either though... I'm too shy ;^;

ETA: and yes I do compare other people's hair to my own, but not in critical way. I really love seeing people with nice hair at the same length as mine, it makes me feel better about my hair. ♥

HintOfMint
December 23rd, 2013, 11:58 PM
The one time I compared someone else's hair to my own, I was comparing my hair to my (now former) dude's ex-girlfriend, which had far more to do my own insecurity than her actual hair. Her hair was lovely though, and always perfectly curled and done. She had a roller set done every week and it showed. My hair is a bit... erm... wild. And it always will be.

Aside from her, I notice hair sometimes, but I don't compare it to my own. I've actually begun to notice natural black hair (afros and the like) mainly because I've now lived in two major metropolitan areas in the last four years where there are just more black people and more of them are wearing their hair in natural styles. Much of where I lived prior to that either didn't have very large black populations or most of them had relaxed or otherwise straightened hair. So now I see beautiful afros, twist outs, locs and all sorts of styles everywhere I go and it's all so pretty.

NuclearApple
December 24th, 2013, 04:44 AM
I always notice people's hair,but only sometimes i compare with mine.Always try to classify :)

truepeacenik
December 26th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I grew my hair because I like hair.
(Chatting with someone else in the plaza where I work, I discovered that some people really, really dislike hair.)

So, naturally, I'll notice hair.
Difference really catches my eye; fantastic dreads, stunning shine, a really, really cool curl pattern, length, the perfect pixie.

The only consistent critiquing is on other reds. I'm always pegging bottle/henna, natural and natural with enhancement (a red gone sandy using color)

CurlMonster
December 27th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Yes, I notice other people's hair. :) School assemblies used to be very boring, but now I could almost say I enjoy them because I get to stare at lots of heads of hair without anyone noticing! :rolling: I also find it interesting to see how many people pinch their hair between their seat and their back. I'm often surprised when I compare 'beautiful long hair' to my own because I realise mine is actually longer (less beautiful, but I'll get that part one day). I guess I just don't imagine my hair being as long as it really is!

Covet
December 27th, 2013, 02:43 AM
I notice long hair in great condition but I don't compare it to mine because I can't say I've seen many people with my hair type.

Weewah
December 27th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I never notice other people's hair. I'm kind of an oblivious person overall though, it's just one of my weaknesses I guess :p

ErinLeigh
December 27th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Yes. Always. Even on tv shows I'm watching and checking out hair

Ambystoma
December 27th, 2013, 07:29 PM
I notice when there is something that catches my eye, I see a lot of beautiful hair around so it makes me smile. I often wonder what they do, if they colour etc. I always have to laugh at myself when I see hair around the same length as mine because my first reaction is "Oh wow look at how looong it is!" and then I have to remind myself that it's the same as my "medium-long and not unusual at all" length :laugh:

Ciridae
December 27th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I almost always notice girls with longer than shoulder length hair. I mostly check the condition - I'm from New Zealand so there are lots of Pacific Island girls with suuuuper long hair in gorgeous condition (no doubt due to coconut oil!) I tend to get severe hair envy when I notice anyone with extremely healthy, thick and shiny hair, no matter the colour or length. My DH is still my hair idol, his hair is about APL now and looks/feels like skeins of cornsilk. :heartbeat (er... in a good way hehe)

ladonna
December 27th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I notice other people hair. I never compare my hair to anyone else's, I do love the "older ladies" hair in my area since they always have really pretty hairtoy's and I have to ask where they bought them.

JohnEThompson
December 27th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I only notice other peoples hair if it is something eye catching. If it is waist length or longer for instance or insanely healthy, I usually stop and compliment strangers. "I love your hair!" As I am walking by.

Arachnid
December 28th, 2013, 03:20 AM
I voted 'I notice only if something grabs my eye, be it good or bad (a bun you like, or badly processed hair)' I always do a double take when someone with particularly long hair walks past and i like to keep an eye out for hair toys but so far I've only seen one woman with hair forks. I tend not to compare it to my own because my hair is only at collar bone. I always have to fight the urge to give advice when I'm with a friend with very damaged hair, they always take it as an insult which is not at all how I meant it.

glittergloss
December 28th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I only notice the long haired once down to the waist or so but I never compared it to mine. I usually admire the very healthy long hair but I feel disgusted thinking that it needs to be cut to the chemically damaged dry long hair.