PDA

View Full Version : Best styles to protect ends?

Leslieslsa
December 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
For starters, I am sorry, I tend to ask a lot of questions because I am new here. But anyways, I have been wearing two braids or a side braid most of the time. But what are good styles that protect the ends? And can I sleep in these styles? I do have a satin pillowcase so no problem there. Any suggestions?

Sharysa
December 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Braids are a perfectly good style for protection during the day as well as sleep--even if braids don't protect the ends, they keep your hair from getting tangled since it's at least contained. If you want more protection for the ends, you can try either putting the braids in buns or wrapping them around your head and pinning them, like with milkmaid or crown braids.

But the important part isn't what other people think, it's what your hair can handle and what you feel like you can manage to do. My hair is coarse and thick, so it's a lot less fragile than someone with fine or thin hair and the damage I do get shows up less. I can handle braids because they keep my hair contained and I don't have to worry about damage from friction, but I hate buns because they make my scalp hurt from all the concentrated weight.

Madora
December 22nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
I wore double braids for sleep for decades but switched to a loosely braided bun on top of my head several years ago. Makes a world of difference and detangling takes less than 3 minutes in the morning.

stachelbeere
December 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
I figured out a very simple way of protecting the ends while sleeping with a braid/ braids: wrap the ends into a piece of silk and tie with a hair tie.

Although I usually put my hair in pin curls/ straw curls then tie a silk scarf around my head and sleep on a silk pillow. you can never have too much silk :P so far my hair is doing well :)

TheLuckyLurker
December 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
I sleep in a braid, on a satin pillowcase. During the day I do a cinnabun or a braided bun, since I can actually tuck the ends under either of those.

biogirl87
December 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM
Lesliesla, I do not think wearing your hair up during the day and then also for sleep is a good idea. I believe your follicles need a rest at night if you wear your hair up during the day.