PDA

View Full Version : Medication making hair brittle

BlueMajorelle
December 21st, 2013, 01:16 PM
I have to take a medication, and one of the side effects is making my hair thinner and more brittle. Growing it out isn't the problem, but the ends are always damaged and awful even though I've been taking great care to eat properly and treat it gently. Switched to ACV as a conditioner and that has helped quite a bit but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to keep it from breaking so I could go longer between trims. Would henna make the strands stronger?

martyna_22
December 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
According to my research and observation of a person using henna, I'd say yes! I'd recommend wainting for responses of more experienced and wise LHC-ers, though :)

Kaelee
December 21st, 2013, 01:48 PM
Henna definitely made my hair stronger, thicker, shinier. You have to be prepared for the commitment though, the color is PERMANENT.

bunzfan
December 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
Henna does,make it stronger but something i noticed when trying veggie dyes I started on them because i couldn't get the deep red i wanted with henna as my hair is already darkish is that my ends are now really moisturised so I'm sticking with with it have far less splits and dots.

BlueMajorelle
December 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Thanks! My hair is already naturally dark auburn, and I love being red, so I'm not worried about the commitment to the color (well aware that you cannot dye after you henna). I'll try henna and see if that helps.

CircesButterfly
January 26th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I definitely understand the medication part and it's connection to effects on one's hair. I recently a few years ago started taking medication and I didn;t think it would effect my hair. Oh my gosh, the amount of hair that fell and shed out was really scary for me. That was when I was on my first medication. So I decided to talk to my doctor and have her change the medication and she did. But the second medication ended up thinning my ends out even more. So I decided to chop my hair back to shoulder length which was a very hard decision for me because I thought my days of being able to have my beautiful long hair again was over. So I decided to talk to my doctor a third time about changing medication and she agreed to willingly. Ever since this third change of medication, my hair has grown bak in thicker than it was before and stronger. So I would recommend not being shy about talking to your doctor about the possibilities of changing medication. Or you could do some research online and see if there is different medications you can have your doctor prescribe for you. I had to actually get over being shy and consulting with my doctor about possible changes so I could have less side effects. I'm glad I did.:D