PDA

View Full Version : Is The Hair Growth All in My Head??

queenofheartz44
December 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Okay so I've been doing what I can to grow long healthy hair since April, and I have seen changes in my texture, roots and overall health which has been great. I've also hit some mini-milestones as I'm creeping towards BSL. However, I just went out with one of my buddies last night and she said that my hair doesn't really look any longer and with clear conviction that the reason for that was because I still use relaxers.:( Now I know relaxers are bad juju, they are the only chemical styling type-thing I do to my hair.

I coat all of my hair in oils as a barrier so it won't overlap, use the mild formulas, leave it on for the minimum time posted, stretch the application 12-16 weeks as opposed to the suggested 6-8 weeks. I know my hair is growing due to the new growth that gets relaxed and with length checks (I started out at 16.5 and am now around 21 inches). I don't know why it bothered me so, but it did...Am I imagining this new hair growth or is it too small for her to notice? We used to work together over a year ago and then i was keeping my hair around shoulder length, now its between my shoulderblades...:confused: I still maintain my weekly hooded dryer deep conditioners with coconut oil or olive oil with rosemary essential oils. Not too sure why her comment upset me so, but it did.

sakuraemily
December 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Its not in your head I'm sure. I'm not going to call her insensitive because she is your friend and she was giving you her honest opinion. I'd rather have the truth(or what they is true) on my face anyday than have people laughing behind my back.

I think you just want to have some progress so badly that you are a little sensitive to hair related criticism now. You want others to notice the progress too. Its okay they will realise in a short while

AmyBeth
December 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
Why wouldn't you believe the measuring tape? That is factual and objective, your friend's perception is subjective. Try not to worry about it. You are growing your hair for you, aren't you? You know it is growing, so why let anyone's comments upset you.:)

Denebi
December 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Here at the LHC, we are all trained hair progress observers, and we specifically track our own hair growth - some more, some less frequent. But for others, the difference between shoulder and APL is not that noticeable. I met a friend from university after some years, and he told me about his new girlfriend which has long hair like mine. He then showed me a pic on his iphone and it turned out her hair was somewhere between APL and BSL, while mine was past waist already. He had to admit that it is not the same length, but we needed a photo proof and direct comparison for that ;)

So, don't think about it too much. Your hair is growing, you have the evidence of it. And although for other the difference might not be visible, it is still there.

veridiantrees
December 21st, 2013, 12:54 PM
It's probably growing too slowly for her to notice. If you can, quit the relaxers! Your hair will be much healthier and grow a lot faster.

queenofheartz44
December 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys! I do wish it would grow quicker although there have been months where I'm pushing out 3/4". Patience is not my strongest area.

RancheroTheBee
December 22nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
Today, I put my lip rings back in and not a single person noticed. I only bring this up because other people are so caught up in their own lives that they sometimes don't register things that are going on with you, even when they're obvious. First off, good for you for taking such good care of your hair. You'll thank yourself down the road. Second, as others have said, the factual measuring you've done is a million times more important. I know sometimes it's hard not to take what others say personally, but she probably didn't mean anything by it and you're doing well, so try not to worry.

LadyCelestina
December 22nd, 2013, 02:06 AM
People are weird when it comes to opinions on hair length.If your measuring tape shows progress and you feel like your hair has grown,then it mostly likely did.Try maybe asking some other friend?Maybe your friend is just really against relaxers and had to use something to give her statement some weight?

When I was at BSL/midback,I had people I have to interact with boast about how long my hair is (it's a common length for straight hair here,not so much for curly).Apparently waist length is not as "long" or noticeable.I wonder which length will get noticed next.My guess is tbl.

mscm
December 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
This is one persons opinion. As long as you see the difference, that is what counts, isnt it? :) but I do understand a comment like that can be discouraging. Just keep going and keep growning :D

Alena
December 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I'm sure the growth isn't in your head. As the others have said, other people can be really terrible at noticing hair growth. It took around 12" of growth for my family to notice I was growing my hair! Just keep growing, you're doing great! :)

queenofheartz44
December 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Again, thank you everyone! It was the second time someone took a jab at my hair for it being relaxed, firstly from my father. He thinks I'm "denying my heritage":confused: yet he shaves his head so he doesn't have to deal with his "heritage":rolleyes:. I really think I was just sick of it, and my dad's comments had been wearing on me.