PDA

View Full Version : MASSIVE Shed

XxcazxX
December 21st, 2013, 08:18 AM
After years of patiently waiting for my hair to grow, I finally got it to reach waist length! Woo! Only after about 6 months of this length I became bored with how flat it looked and how awkward it was to style. I first tried colouring it to see if this would make me love it again. I had a full head of highlights. Needless to say I HATED them. So after another 6 months I had my hair cut to sit just below my bra strap. It has been like this for 4 months now. My shedding has been AWFUL. I used to shed about 20 hairs a day (IF THAT) I now shed about 100 - 150 hairs a day. Despite the fact my hair is considerably shorter it is now so thin and fragile. I have tried everything I can think of, I take 600 micrograms of Biotin and a multi-vitamin every day. I exercise 5 times a week. I use coconut oil every 3rd day and and Argan Oil every second day. I wash my hair only 2 to 3 times a week. Can anybody help me? I wondered if it may be the time of year but I have been experiencing this awful hair loss since August, so that's now nearly 5 months. Any help would be brilliant :) (P.s sorry this is one continual paragraph - can't figure out how to get a paragraph on this forum!!)

Silverbrumby
December 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM
See your doctor. Iron, birth control, vitamin d, stress, seasonal shed, condition only washing. These are a few things which come to mind.

Flor
December 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM
My seasonal shed wrapped up about a month ago. I shed from September to November. Have you been checking your ponytail circumference? Is it getting smaller or there's no difference?

I would avoid any oil or conditioner on the roots for starters.

Just "ENTER" twice for a new paragraph.

Anje
December 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Can you tell if the hairs that you are losing mostly have a little follicle bulb on them, or are they broken off? My first thought is that since you have gotten all-over highlights, you might simply be suffering breakage if they were too much for your hair to take.

If you're losing the hair from the roots, it's time to look at your diet (don't count on supplements), and consider getting bloodwork done. Anemia and thyroid problems are the two biggies for hairloss, though many deficiencies can cause problems there.

If it's breaking, making sure you've got the best protein-moisture balance will be key, and it will be a balancing act where each correction risks nudging the balance too far in the other direction. There are lots of articles and posts on the subject, here and elsewhere. This one happens to make the most sense to me, and it applies without regard to skin tone or hair texture. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

(P.s sorry this is one continual paragraph - can't figure out how to get a paragraph on this forum!!)
Um, double-tap the Enter/Carriage return button? No need to do HTML code here; the forum handles basic formatting easily enough and everything else you do with BBCode.

schnibbles
December 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM
There are lots of articles and posts on the subject, here and elsewhere. This one happens to make the most sense to me, and it applies without regard to skin tone or hair texture. (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html)

Wow, that was a great read. I find most of the jargon about protein and moisture really confusing, but this post was straightforward and made sense.. thanks!

sakuraemily
December 22nd, 2013, 01:07 AM
I've noticed that when I have 1 and half cups of packed greens my hair shed reduces soo much.