PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal shedding?

PoliticalPilot
December 21st, 2013, 07:22 AM
It's been a long time since I've been here! I chopped my waistlength hair a year ago and am now growing back out! :-) it is about apl at the moment.

Anyway... My hair seems to be shedding a fair amount, but after pregnancy and then a huge postpartum shed a year ago, I don't remember what normal shedding is like! I keep my hair in a bun or braid all the time, and when I wash it or comb it out I always seem to get a small handful or two. So a handful when I wash and another when I comb out... And then quite a few strands when I take my braid or bun out.
What do I do? Can I take msm or biotin to help?

lapushka
December 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM
I think a few handfuls is quite normal, especially for when you wash and comb it out. With me it's a few handfuls as well.

Firefox7275
December 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM
Don't randomly take supplements that can do more arm than good, review your diet and fill any gaps with nutrient dense foods. Biotin is widely available in wholefoods. You are more likely to be deficient in vitamin D, magnesium or long chain omega 3s than any of the B vitamins unless you eat a restrictive diet.

You might count the hairs and see if the number is in the range of 'normal'. If not see your family doctor or a dermatologist.