PDA

View Full Version : Henna/Indigo ruined my hair... but I still want to darken it?

heathen
December 20th, 2013, 05:34 PM
My hair is naturally a medium chestnut brown (don't know if you can tell in my sig pic, that was a while before my chop about a month or so ago) and I have always wanted to have it a very dark brown/black coffee color. I have done a 2-step henna and indigo process twice... while initially my hair felt ok, over the past year and a half or so, it ruined my hair.

I recently had to cut back my approaching hip length hair to bra strap length because the entire length of my hennindigo hair was destroyed. I tried to oil and deep condition to no avail over the months, never used heat, etc. but, my hair became increasingly dull, tangled, and almost the entire under-layer of my hair was so dry it was breaking off and split like nothing I have ever experienced with my hair and NOTHING I did helped...

Not even in the days that I used chemical dyes and would straighten it weekly was my hair ever that damaged. It was SO dry, dull, and tangled towards the end that it would take 20 minutes at least just to work out the knots every time I took a shower and had almost no shine. It also seemed like the individual strands felt rough and thicker than my normal hair.

Now that I have about 6+ inches of roots grown out of virgin hair, I remember what hair is supposed to feel like, but from the chin down my hair is still the residual henninidgo, which, for the moment is not damaged.

I am wondering if y'all think I did something wrong in my process. I added nothing special to the henna/indigo when I did my two-step, just water. I continued to oil my hair and tried to treat it well afterward, had minimal fading... but, otherwise it felt like the worst thing I ever did to my hair.

I still crave brown/black hair, I just love the way dark hair looks and I think it suits me.

Anyone have suggestions of what I can do? I wonder if I am crazy to trying hennindigo again after this experience and huge setback in growth. If it weren't for the damage it incurred, I would definitely have long been at hip length by now...

Thanks for reading!:)

allmixedup88
December 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Are you sure it was pure henna and did not have any metallic salts added?
There is biegen dye, but it has PPD
Commercial hair dye
manic panic (it dried out my hair when i used it to make my hair black)
coffee rinses

heathen
December 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Positive.

I used excellent pure grade Yemeni Henna and Indigo from HennaSooq.com

heathen
December 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Are you sure it was pure henna and did not have any metallic salts added?
There is biegen dye, but it has PPD
Commercial hair dye
manic panic (it dried out my hair when i used it to make my hair black)
coffee rinses

Oh, I wanted to try to go natural, but mostly I am concerned with the least damaging option!

Whenever I've used commerical/box dye it washes out of my hair in two weeks or so.

The best thing about henna/indigo is that almost 2 years after the initial dye, my hair is still a soft black!

allmixedup88
December 20th, 2013, 05:50 PM
http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-color/BIGEN1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Contains no ammonia and requires no peroxide
Gives beautiful, true-to-life, long-lasting color
Provides a rich and natural look
Economical way to color your hair
No heavy masking odor
Easy application

Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color is designed to elegantly color all gray or partially gray hair, enrich your natural hair color without lift. Contains no ammonia and requires no hydrogen peroxide. contains no ammonia and requires no peroxide. The results are beautiful, true-to-life, long-lasting color with a rich and natural look. Bigen Powder Hair Color is an economical way to color your hair simply use as much as needed and keep the rest for the next application.

Assemble everything you need from the contents of the Bigen pack, plastic or glass bowl or cup and a non-metal stirrer, plastic or rubber gloves, cape or towel, brush, cold cream.

Do not pre-shampoo your hair unless it is very oily or treated with metallic color such as hair color spray or henna compound or any other material that might interfere with Bigen coloring. Cover the upper part of your body with the towel or cape. Apply a thin coating of cold cream along the hairline to guard against any traces of tint around the hairline.

Pour Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color into the plastic or glass cup or bowl. Add tap water at room temperature (DO NOT use hot water) following the proportions indicated in the instrutions to make a paste.1 bottle Bigen Powder, 5 Bigen measuring cups of water (2 fl oz) - 1 bottle Bigen Powder, 2 Bigen measuring cups of water (1 fl oz) - 1 bottle Bigen Powder, 1 Bigen measuring cups of water (1 fl oz).

Then quickly apply Bigen Hair Color mixture to the dry or towel dry hair with a brush. If you are partially gray haired, start application where the hair is most gray, making sure every hair strand is thoroughly covered. After application is complete, begin timing. It usually takes 20-30 minutes for the hair color to develop and cover gray. (DO NOT use dryer or cap).

Your color results depend on your current color or hair conditions. After 10 minutes, check your color by wiping a strand with cotton every few minutes until the desired color is achieved. Failure to perform a strand test may result in darker shade than expected. Now rinse Bigen thoroughly from the hair with warm water. Then wash the hair with mild shampoo until the water runs completely clear and free of color.

A low pH conditioner is recommended for satisfactory results.