PDA

View Full Version : The itch to dye/ choosing your hair color...

blue_eyes
December 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM
So I've sworn off hair dye for the past few months and had decided to grow out all the dye & damage (I've been dyeing my dark blonde hair to a dark brown/black for about 7 years). BUT I ended up looking through old photos today and realized that I love the way I look with dark hair. For contrast I found a photo of me with my natural color, and I hated it.

Also, I want waist length hair. I'm just past APL right now, but only have about an inch of roots. Continuing to dye my hair means I'll get to waist that much quicker! Is that a good reason for continuing to dye? :P

I don't really know what to do! I'm so torn. :brickwall
Advice/personal experience stories are much appreciated!

abauer789
December 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I think ultimately you need to make yourself happy. That being said, when was the last time you saw your natural color? If it was years ago, chances are it has darkened.

I am 13 months into the growing out process...I know how hard it is the first 6 - 9 months are a killer. I had lots of weak moments - but the idea of seeing what my natural color really was kept me going plus seeing the quality of the roots..so shiny and soft. My hair turned out being not at all the color the roots appeared to be. So you never know until the growth is at least ear level. LHC kept me going and I am so happy that I have come this far.

Can you maybe wait 6 months before deciding? I know...it is really really hard. I just don't want you to make a impulsive decision and then regret it. I have read a lot of those here on LHC.

Addy
December 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Have you implemented the 2 week rule? If not, I would really consider it. If you want to dye after 2 weeks, go for it. If you're still wishy-washy then give it another 2 weeks.

martyna_22
December 20th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Have you thought of henndigo/indigo? It's a strong alternative to chemical dyes since not only does it give you the color, it also nourishes and strengthens your hair. Seriously, think about it.
And if it's not a possibility, I think your satisfaction is the most important factor here. Just decide what you really want.:blossom:

Tsopana
December 20th, 2013, 02:52 PM
How about doing a semi-permanent dye, just to get it out of your system? It is possible, since you want to go darker.

wildtohold
December 20th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I dye my hair. My natural colour looks dreadful on me and washes me out completely. So I dye it black. And I have no compunctions about it. It makes me happy, so I do it, and my hair takes to it very well. It's shiny and healthy and the curls are still beautiful.

If having dark hair makes you happy and makes you like the person you see in the mirror better, then do it! Life's too short to hate your hair.

meteor
December 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I recommend this:
- first, check out what you look like in a dark wig, photos are not necessarily representative;
- if you like the look, you can explore temporary/semi-permanent dyes like Adore or Manic Panic;
- you can experiment with henndigo, but I think the result will be pretty permanent or evolving in ways that are not easily predictable (henna stays, indigo fades)
- check out herbal coloring methods: http://web.archive.org/web/20111221105559/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2
It's a lot easier to avoid damage while going from lighter to darker color than the other way round.

Fluffmitten
December 21st, 2013, 05:05 AM
How about using a temporary colour for a while? (I'm doing that while I grow mine longer as my natural colour isn't as nice as it used to be.) That way you can change the colour now without being stuck with it if you change your mind later. The Revlon colour ball conditioners are also really good as they top up colour while they condition.

I wish I'd left my hair natural when I was younger, now it's fading and going grey it looks lousy when I grow out the colour - everyone's different but it could be something to bear in mind :)

Fluffmitten
December 21st, 2013, 05:08 AM
Oh, and indigo is great if you're committed to it and you love it, but having used it I eventually had it cut out because NOTHING would shift it. I've removed permanent box dyes more than once but couldn't get the indigo out for love nor money.

Firefox7275
December 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
So I've sworn off hair dye for the past few months and had decided to grow out all the dye & damage (I've been dyeing my dark blonde hair to a dark brown/black for about 7 years). BUT I ended up looking through old photos today and realized that I love the way I look with dark hair. For contrast I found a photo of me with my natural color, and I hated it.

Also, I want waist length hair. I'm just past APL right now, but only have about an inch of roots. Continuing to dye my hair means I'll get to waist that much quicker! Is that a good reason for continuing to dye? :P

I don't really know what to do! I'm so torn. :brickwall
Advice/personal experience stories are much appreciated!

Plenty of us here use permanent dye whilst striving for length, there are ways and means of protecting and patch repairing damage (roots only application NEVER refresh lengths; coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA).

If you have porous enough hair naturally you might be able to get a high pigment semi permanent to take with an overnight soak. Semis are basically colour molecules in a conditioner base so non damaging.

LadyCelestina
December 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Plenty of us here use permanent dye whilst striving for length, there are ways and means of protecting and patch repairing damage (roots only application NEVER refresh lengths; coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA).

If you have porous enough hair naturally you might be able to get a high pigment semi permanent to take with an overnight soak. Semis are basically colour molecules in a conditioner base so non damaging.
I am terribly sorry for hijacking this thread,OP! :oops:

Firefox,semis are sold here not using conditioner base,but as a shampoo (coco betaine or sls +dye). Why is that?Does this have any effect on the dye uptake?

queenofheartz44
December 21st, 2013, 11:36 AM
Have you implemented the 2 week rule? If not, I would really consider it. If you want to dye after 2 weeks, go for it. If you're still wishy-washy then give it another 2 weeks.

Ooh, I have to try the two week rule, I too have been very tempted to dye my hair. So far I haven't dyed it since April and right now I really want my deep reds back.

Stray_mind
December 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM
I too have an itch to dye. I like how my hair look in henna, but i also want to grow back my natural hair. Still can't decide what i want and to dye is so tempting because growing out natural is such a long process....

blue_eyes
December 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all your replies! :)

I'll start with the 2 week rule and see how I'm feeling about it then. Although I've got a feeling that I'll be making a trip to the salon in the new year.

I tried the henna/indigo process a while ago and hated it. I started with indigo but it didn't take to my hair at all, so I realized I'd need to do henna first and then indigo over it. Way too much time/mess/trouble for me.

At the moment my ends are dyed a permanent dark brown (almost black). I did a semi-permanent color on my roots about 4 months ago which turned into a reddish brown, and then I've got my dark blonde roots. Of all the things I've tried I like my dark ends the best...so I may end up just doing extra protective dye jobs for the rest of my life :P I just feel a little guilty the growing out process.

blue_eyes
December 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM
So you were right about the two week rule! I made a comment to my boyfriend that I don't think I could stick to growing out the dye, and he said "sure you will." and for some reason since then I'm determined to keep trying.

I hope by around the 6-9 month mark this will become a lot easier!

Firefox7275
December 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I am terribly sorry for hijacking this thread,OP! :oops:

Firefox,semis are sold here not using conditioner base,but as a shampoo (coco betaine or sls +dye). Why is that?Does this have any effect on the dye uptake?

Admittedly guess response: those are temporary dyes or low pigment so need the surfactant to aid adherence or raise the cuticle and/ or intended to be used only on virgin hair. I'm particularly thinking of stuff like Manic Panic or la Riche Directions (mainly fashion colours but high pigment) as I have most experience with those. The ones in a shampoo base shouldn't be any more than minimally (not measurably) damaging unless a notably alkaline pH - in that case they are more likely to be a Demi permanent colour.

Perhaps a US based stylist will chime in!

Pamala513
December 24th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Have you considered using an organic dye? I switched from chemical color To organic 2 1/2 years ago. My hair has never been healthier. there is no smell when you color it, also it's a much quicker process, lasts just as long and only needs root touch ups.

LadyCelestina
December 25th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Admittedly guess response: those are temporary dyes or low pigment so need the surfactant to aid adherence or raise the cuticle and/ or intended to be used only on virgin hair. I'm particularly thinking of stuff like Manic Panic or la Riche Directions (mainly fashion colours but high pigment) as I have most experience with those. The ones in a shampoo base shouldn't be any more than minimally (not measurably) damaging unless a notably alkaline pH - in that case they are more likely to be a Demi permanent colour.

Perhaps a US based stylist will chime in!
Thank you!
Makes sense... they probably do have low pigment content,as they are generally very cheap and last for a very short amount of time,so they need the shampoo to give a decent colour result.
Manic Panic is sold here for almost ten times as much as those shampoos.I have never used it,but it seems that it not only gives off a more vivid colour,but lasts longer.

Firefox7275
December 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you!
Makes sense... they probably do have low pigment content,as they are generally very cheap and last for a very short amount of time,so they need the shampoo to give a decent colour result.
Manic Panic is sold here for almost ten times as much as those shampoos.I have never used it,but it seems that it not only gives off a more vivid colour,but lasts longer.

Are they definitely semi permanent (will penetrate porous hair) and not temporary (coats surface so lasts only a few washes)?

Ouch on the price but do be aware those sort of high pigment colours can be diluted to stretch - I do mine with water (I apply to dry hair instead of damp) but many dilute with a cheap lightweight, silicone free conditioner. Because its basically a conditioner you can process anything up to all night if you choose which really helps the molecules penetrate deep and last longer.

I used half a pot of La Riche Directions (European Manic Panic equivalent) to do my roots last time, it pulled through to the ends (APL/ BSL average thickness) with lots of conditioner fine to 'refresh' those. The lengths are still strong/ bright after two to three months, I only refresh to avoid a demarcation.

Might be worth investigating which other higher pigment semi permanent brands you can get where you are, maybe professional or online only would work out acceptable value? For me I compare the price to a professional dye job and then it always seems cheap!!

butterflybutton
December 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I love that two week rule, I'll have to use it in the future.

LadyCelestina
December 28th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Are they definitely semi permanent (will penetrate porous hair) and not temporary (coats surface so lasts only a few washes)?

Ouch on the price but do be aware those sort of high pigment colours can be diluted to stretch - I do mine with water (I apply to dry hair instead of damp) but many dilute with a cheap lightweight, silicone free conditioner. Because its basically a conditioner you can process anything up to all night if you choose which really helps the molecules penetrate deep and last longer.

I used half a pot of La Riche Directions (European Manic Panic equivalent) to do my roots last time, it pulled through to the ends (APL/ BSL average thickness) with lots of conditioner fine to 'refresh' those. The lengths are still strong/ bright after two to three months, I only refresh to avoid a demarcation.

Might be worth investigating which other higher pigment semi permanent brands you can get where you are, maybe professional or online only would work out acceptable value? For me I compare the price to a professional dye job and then it always seems cheap!!
I am not entirely sure,it is unclear from the packet and I am not sure what else can be read out of the ingredients except for that it is a shampoo and it has some dye in it,but from experience - my grandma used to dye her hair with the shampoos and it had to be grown out,the stain was very deep.I consider my hair low porosity and it always washed out in under two weeks.But then again,I don't use them repeatedly,just once in a while.
From your experience,is there a way to tell apart temporary colour from semi-permanent?
I am an European :D I believe both brands are available here around 10 euro + shipping.For me personally I am poor,and stingy -for the price I'd rather buy clothes or go on a trip.

Unofficial_Rose
December 28th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Clairol Beautiful might be good. I use this when I fancy going dark for a little while. It washes out in 3-4 washes but you can get dark brown. It's deposit-only.

walterSCAN
December 28th, 2013, 07:18 AM
How about doing a semi-permanent dye, just to get it out of your system? It is possible, since you want to go darker.

Thanks for all your replies! :)

I'll start with the 2 week rule and see how I'm feeling about it then. Although I've got a feeling that I'll be making a trip to the salon in the new year.

I tried the henna/indigo process a while ago and hated it. I started with indigo but it didn't take to my hair at all, so I realized I'd need to do henna first and then indigo over it. Way too much time/mess/trouble for me.

At the moment my ends are dyed a permanent dark brown (almost black). I did a semi-permanent color on my roots about 4 months ago which turned into a reddish brown, and then I've got my dark blonde roots. Of all the things I've tried I like my dark ends the best...so I may end up just doing extra protective dye jobs for the rest of my life :P I just feel a little guilty the growing out process.

So you were right about the two week rule! I made a comment to my boyfriend that I don't think I could stick to growing out the dye, and he said "sure you will." and for some reason since then I'm determined to keep trying.

I hope by around the 6-9 month mark this will become a lot easier!

Glad you're feeling better about growing the color out! You may find out that you suddenly love your natural color once it grows out. As others in this thread have already pointed out, things can change for the better over a few years.

In case you do change your mind at any point, I was also going to suggest semi-permanent color (i.e. Garnier Natural Instincts). I used that for years and grew to WL and maintained there. (Always got comments on how healthy my hair looked too, but those were from non-LHCers, so take that with a grain of salt.) That particular brand tends to act like a permanent color is you are going drastically darker-- at least that's how it worked on me, and I've seen other posters here with similar results-- and isn't quite as vicious to your hair as a regular permanent dye would be. The semi-perm colors that I'm seeing others mention in this thread, I'd always thought of/ seen them referred to as temporary color-- the Natural Instincts DID NOT wash out of my hair. Ever. It didn't even fade, unlike the one time I tried a permanent color did.

Depending on your hair, it's still probably going to be a little damaging though, don't get me wrong. I ended up switching to henna from dyeing my natural woodland creature brown to dark-dark brown, partly because I was getting so much shedding every time I did a dye job and partly just because I prefer henna for many different reasons. I do still miss my dark brown hair sometimes, though, and I think I could have had even less damage with the semi-perm color if I'd known about things like coconut oil back then. I didn't notice a lot of actual damage in my hair, really, just increased shedding after a dye job, but my hair is weird and YMMV with that.

Just remember that your hair is there for you to enjoy and you have to balance what's best for your hair and what's going to make you happiest with it (and do your best to minimize the damage from things that you love but your hair doesn't necessarily love, if you want it to grow long).

vindo
December 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM
No advice on your preference but I grew out henna within a bit over 4 years (to TBL) and I am very happy I stuck with it.

My experience was that the more natural color grows in the better it looks. Especially after a few summers and with adequate nutrition my hair color got so vivid!

When I feel like a change, which is rare, I remind myself of how hard growing put was and how long it would take. Knowing myself I might enjoy another color for a bit, but not long enough to risk having to grow out again! :)

blue_eyes
December 29th, 2013, 10:58 PM
@ walterSCAN

I think I used Garnier Natural Instincts on my roots right before I stopped dyeing altogether. It's sort of acted as a transition area between the dark permanent color of my hair, and the new roots. However, it did NOT wash out as I was hoping it would (if it had I'd have 3 inches of roots right now!). My natural hair is quite light, anything darker seems to be permanent even if it isn't meant to be. :P

@ Emichiee

Wow that's very inspiring! :) I'm trying to hang in there for the next 6 months, and then I hope it'll start looking significantly better. I've told myself that if I dye it again now I'll be setting myself back by 3 months if I choose to grow it out again. Plus I have an urge to get rid of all the damage and start fresh...that won't happen if I keep dyeing. Some days it just feels like it's the easier way out. I can't wait for this to be all behind me...I just wish it wasn't two years away :P