PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to chop it all off!

NuclearApple
December 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah,It's been 2 years since i started growing my hair,now i'm happy with the length but it looks very,very bad.
I have just watched the surface of a strand and noticed that it's full of splits and white dots.
I recently chopped 2 inches off back to hip from bcl,and i hoped it would have gotten better but no,it's still very difficoult to dry,comb and style.
My roots are,instead completely perfect!soft,shiny silky and without any sign of damage.
So i decided to do something with my poor hair and finally decided to cut.
It was hard decision and i'm going to the hair dresser on monday,i'm not scared fortunately she always does what i want :agree:
I'm going back to armpit,long enough to do some styles but short enough to make it healthier.
I know no one cares about it but i felt like to share and have some support,i'm going to post pictures after it :D
Thanks so much!

Wildcat Diva
December 20th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Aw, we do care! I will love to see pix. What about cutting back to BSL instead of APL. You
may have more style options there. Plus, you can always cut again to APL if it's still a pain.

NuclearApple
December 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Aw, we do care! I will love to see pix. What about cutting back to BSL instead of APL. You
may have more style options there. Plus, you can always cut again to APL if it's still a pain.

I'm happy to know that :) The problem is I have a huge chunk of super damaged hair in bsl-waist area,it breaks even with fingercombing...I'm really undecided though,fortunately still have the whole weekend to think about it.

AmyBeth
December 20th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Of course we care! That's why we're all here. In my world, anything past shoulder is still long, and I happen to love APL. If I were to cut mine, that's where I would go. I've actually been thinking about it, because my terminal length seems to be a disappointing hip length. Although mine is very healthy and undamaged, it hasn't gained any length for the last 5 months. Doing a big chop when your hair is damaged is a very productive step to take. It will grow back better than ever.:)

Agnes Hannah
December 20th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I second these! At the end of the day you must do what is best for you. Good luck, and I hope you make the right decision for you and enjoy your hair. This is a good community and we all care for each other, best of luck.x

eshta
December 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM
What about somewhere between APL and BSL but above the damage? That way you could easily make up-do's, I see we are similar in thickness and I have a heck of a time getting an up-do to hold and need to rebun a few times during the day.

I bet it will feel great to feel nothing but healthy and silky, shiny hair. And it will be super bouncy for the first days after your cut. I hope you will enjoy your new length whatever length you decide and don't forget to post pics!

LauraLongLocks
December 20th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry you are losing so much length with your planned cut, but you need to do what is best for your hair. I hope you love it!

Dragon
December 21st, 2013, 12:32 AM
Since you are happy with the length, what about maintaining? With whatever you decided, good luck.

Flor
December 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM
Is there any particular reason that you know of that your hair is in bad condition down from BSL mark? Are you planning to grow it out again or maintain at APL? Just asking, because maybe you need a different care routine? :)

As for the chop - if you think it'll make you enjoy your hair more, go for it! No point clinging to the length, if it doesn't make you happy.

NuclearApple
December 21st, 2013, 02:04 AM
First,thanks to everyone for the support :o what a lovely community!

Last year I asked my hairdresser for highlights and they start at chin-collarbone length and the bigger colored strands are right in bsl-waist area,plus,when i started growing,around shoulder length,I was 11 years old and i didn't know brushing every single moment was damaging,so it was full of baby broken hairs floating everywhere,so imagine some thin,frizzy,dryed ends and color them. :(
I've been extremely stupid with this,but what is done is done.
I'm not going to maintain because it will take too much time and patience (which i absolutely do not have :p).
I prefer doing this now than slowly with trims.
and yes i'm going to grow it again to bcl :) really excited about imagineing my hair as healthy as it has never been at that length :o
What about the updos...that's one of the main problems,but I've learnt lots of nice styles for medium length hair and it's a good occasion to practise them!

hope to have answered to all of your questions,this weekend i'm going to play and practise some new styles for my shorter hair I really hope it is the best decision :D

ladyfey
December 21st, 2013, 04:17 AM
I did the same years ago and never regretted it. I loved having healthy hair and getting rid of all the dye damage and starting over with my natural color. I had fun with the shorter hair and when I was tired of it, grew it out again! I think you will be very happy, have fun with it!

lapushka
December 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM
I agree with those who've said that maybe you should try going to BSL first. It's going to be quite a shock going so short from so long in *one* go. Maybe go slower, and get it cut in stages. Who knows, maybe at BSL it will be manageable enough for you and will still be long enough to style with sticks and forks - which will be more difficult at APL (which might make you need to style it using heat tools).

Peggy E.
December 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM
I'm happy to know that :) The problem is I have a huge chunk of super damaged hair in bsl-waist area,it breaks even with fingercombing...I'm really undecided though,fortunately still have the whole weekend to think about it.

Maybe your hairdresser will be able to give you some advice on this issue? Lucky you have one you trust and can depend upon doing what's best for you. Therefore, s/he should be able to provide honest and expert advice on where the best length would be to optimize growing out healthier hair for you.

Good luck and I'm sure your hair will be beautiful regardless the length you finally decide upon! Will look forward to the before/after pics!

spidermom
December 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
APL is a nice length. As you said, you can put it up but can also wear it down easily. Enjoy!

NuclearApple
December 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
lapushka I've been thinking about it and I really don't know :confused:,maybe i'll ask the hairdresser since she's a good one fortunately!I've found a picture here that represents perfectly the whole cut I want but i think i'll be completely decided when i'll be at the salon.
Thanks to everyone again :)

NuclearApple
December 23rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
There it is!
http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r722/NuclearApple/CAM00249_zps9316ab0c.jpg
It feels AWESOME,poofy,bouncy and adgafsg xD
Thank you again for all the help,i decided to cut to armpit finally :) (it looks longer but it isn't)
Sorry for the size but with the phone is diffcoult to deal with this stuff

truepeacenik
December 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Wow. It looks great. Do you think this is all virgin hair now?
And it's great that your attitude is bouncy!

NuclearApple
December 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Wow. It looks great. Do you think this is all virgin hair now?
And it's great that your attitude is bouncy!

unfortunately it's not all virgin,there are still some blond streaks in (not so damaged though) and thank you! :D

AmyBeth
December 23rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
It still looks long to me! I like APL and it is fun to still have it long, yet bouncy and swingy! Congratulations!

LauraLongLocks
December 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Looks great. It'll be so nice not to have all that damage to deal with.

DinaAG
December 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
just had a bad experiment, was having a healthy shiny hair that reached bsl but suddenly it was as if is burned, breakage like hell every where, falls like crazy almost my whole length got damaged and lost about 50% of its density i made blood tests and all is fine they said mostly its stress, so i cut it all now it's ear length, cant say how sad im enough..

NuclearApple
December 23rd, 2013, 10:48 AM
thanks to everyone :) the frizzy frizz calmed finally down and now it looks so shiny and soft...never regret it!and can still do buns and a pretty thick braid!

DinaAG I'm so sorry :( I bet your hair will grow faster and stronger if you take care of it with an added ton of attention :)
I'm not an expert in these kind of things and i suggest you to open a new thread since your post here is quite hidden.

butterflybutton
December 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
It looks great! Very healthy.

HintOfMint
December 24th, 2013, 12:05 AM
It looks great! Very healthy, and frankly, still noticeably long in my book!

I had to do a drastic cut years ago to get rid of damage--up to my collarbone--and I also didn't regret it. I made a promise to grow it out healthy and I managed to do just that.

NuclearApple
December 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks!I consider this "medium length",but that's not a problem :) another 2 years and I'm back (i hope) to bcl :D

gillybeanxo3921
December 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I chopped about six inches on Saturday! I asked for three, but you know how it goes. Anyways, I went from just short of waist to apl. I haven't been able to measure it yet, so I'm not sure exactly how much length was lost, but I plan on growing back out to waist asap.

Karme
December 24th, 2013, 06:01 AM
If u really need to fix it then do it. I know it can be sooo hard at first... I always cry a little and whine then i move on lol. Waah! My hair was exactly 46 inches two weeks ago but I had to cut the 6 inches coz it was thin and unhealthy. uugh! :(

NuclearApple
December 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I chopped about six inches on Saturday! I asked for three, but you know how it goes. Anyways, I went from just short of waist to apl. I haven't been able to measure it yet, so I'm not sure exactly how much length was lost, but I plan on growing back out to waist asap.

Man my hd is the only one who shows me how much is she going to cut and let me decide? D: anyway,hope it will grow soon and healthier! :)

If u really need to fix it then do it. I know it can be sooo hard at first... I always cry a little and whine then i move on lol. Waah! My hair was exactly 46 inches two weeks ago but I had to cut the 6 inches coz it was thin and unhealthy. uugh! :(

6 is the number of the day today!XD just think that you made the best for your hair!Last week i trimmed 5 cm of ends,they were so thin and so bad you couldn't even notice that much.Then,yesterday the big chop and now it looks like i have twice more hair mass!cheer up sis ;) i bet your hair looks lovely now.

DinaAG
December 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
thanks a lot dear NuclearApple i will try to care about it again yet i feel so disappointed because i did a lot before and just it all was gone