PDA

View Full Version : Post Surgery Shed

red-again
December 20th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Just a grumble really, I had spinal surgery (neck disc replacement) last Saturday. On weds I started to lose hair. The tangle teezer is turned black when I have brushed my hair. If I comb, same happens.
i have read that judge reason this happens is that general anaesthetic stops your body, I effect and this obviously stops your hair growth phase. When the ga wears off, your body gets back to normal and also your hair starts growing again but sheds the hairs that have stopped before new ones push through the follicles.

i hadn't shed much for a pn awfully long time prior to my op. Something like 30 hairs a week so I reckon I will lose a fair bit in the foreseeable.

getting my stitches out later on then I can take my collar off and wash my hair. I will use some indian herbs I reckon and see if I can halt this a bit!

anyone else had a massive post op shed?

MandyBeth
December 20th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Yup! As for why - meh. You're messing around with your body in some not nice ways. I figure shedding is just a part and the least of my worries.

However - massive, massive shed without regrowth post spay. And I like it. Ok, not the hair tantrums. But everything post spay - I'm far more medically stable and feel a million times better. If I had to lose all my hair, I'd still love everything about it.

pogo0685
December 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
My husband spent a month in the hospital this summer. Had 3 major surgeries in 10 days, 3 months later his hair started falling out in clumps. We measured by the handful he lost a lot of hair. It has mellowed out now though, hopefully will be back to normal soon.

julee
December 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hi red-again, hope you recover speedily and feel better soon :blossom: it's not a nice feeling to be losing heaps of hair on top of having to recover from surgery.

I had thyroid surgery 1 1/2 years ago and lost quite a lot of hair after that :( But it is finally thickening up now :)