PDA

View Full Version : whaaaaat? oily ends

bekahleigh
December 19th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I used castor oil overnight on my ends and roots last night. My hair is finally almost dry from my wash. Aaaaand the ends are still oily -_- but my roots and the bulk of my length look and feel fabulous, so I don't want to do another wash. My next scheduled wash is two to three days away though. Would it hurt to just leave them oily? I'm not really going anyway soecial and it doesn't look bad, just feels funky. I just really dislike washing two days in a row.

Yozhik
December 19th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Gah! :justy:

This happened to me last wash because I left in a pre-shampoo avocado butter mask... My ends were all piecey and weird, but I kept it in a braid, and some of the oil reabsorbed. I did end up washing a day earlier than I usually would have, though, because I wanted to be 'socially acceptable.' :silly:

kaydana
December 19th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I'd just leave it and put it up. Can't tell how oily your hair is if it's in a bun or braid.

biogirl87
December 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
bekahleigh, I know some people on here like to use conditioner to get the oil out. I remember the one time that I tried coconut oil, I overoiled my hair and used cone-free conditioner to get it out. I remember putting the conditioner on the length of my hair after getting into the shower and before turning the water on and then rinsing out the oil and the conditioner when I was done showering, right before getting out the shower. You could try this and if some reason conditioner does not get the castor oil out, you could putting your hair into an updo until your next wash day.

Also, this is my personal opinion, but it seems there some here on LHC who share this opinion (heidi w., Madora, and TorrinPaige come to mind) but I think that putting oil on your roots/scalp is an overkill. Your scalp produces its own oils and does not need the help of extra oiling. If you are using castor oil because you think it will help with the growth, it has not been scientifically proven that castor oil helps with the growth of your hair (for people who claim that castor oil increased growth for them it is far more likely that the scalp massages they are doing while oiling their scalp are doing the trick).

spidermom
December 19th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I would just massage conditioner through the ends, bag them for half an hour or so, then massage it out while rinsing ends only under warm water.

I agree with keeping oil away from the scalp.

bekahleigh
December 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Conditioner almost always does the trick for me when im using oil. I don't think I put enough on my length and ends when I conditioned. I used the castor on my roots because it's way easier for me to do a massage if I lubricate my scalp with oil first, and I love the smell and added softness.I'm probably going to bun it until the next wash lol I don't like washing it again so soon when I'm trying to stretch washes.

Anje
December 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Let me guess, you washed your scalp, but didn't particularly shampoo your ends? Been there, done that, though I think castor oil is particularly good at making hair appear oily when it's there even in small amounts. As has been suggested, you could speak the ends in conditioner for a while and rinse it out, or just leave the oil in and wait for it to come out in the wash. No harm to either, unless your hair really dislikes getting wet.

Naiadryade
December 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I leave my hair oily all the time. It's always a lot softer and nicer after I wash it when it's been oily for a while, than if it hasn't been. No harm in bunning it till your next wash.

Maybe next time, just use the castor oil on your roots and use a lighter oil on your ends.

As for folks saying not to oil the scalp... to each their own, and YMMV! I don't think castor oil on my scalp has particularly sped my growth, but it has significantly helped my chronically itchy/flaky scalp more than anything else ever has, and it has decreased my average shed amount. I know it causes bad effects in some... but bekahleigh, if you like what it does for you and it doesn't make you shed a whole lot more than usual, IMO there is no reason to stop.

bekahleigh
December 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Let me guess, you washed your scalp, but didn't particularly shampoo your ends? Been there, done that, though I think castor oil is particularly good at making hair appear oily when it's there even in small amounts. As has been suggested, you could speak the ends in conditioner for a while and rinse it out, or just leave the oil in and wait for it to come out in the wash. No harm to either, unless your hair really dislikes getting wet.
That's exactly what I did lol I forgot i'd put oil on my ends as well as roots. And since I never actualy shampoo the length.... hahaha guess I should remember when I pit things in my hair.

I leave my hair oily all the time. It's always a lot softer and nicer after I wash it when it's been oily for a while, than if it hasn't been. No harm in bunning it till your next wash.

Maybe next time, just use the castor oil on your roots and use a lighter oil on your ends.

As for folks saying not to oil the scalp... to each their own, and YMMV! I don't think castor oil on my scalp has particularly sped my growth, but it has significantly helped my chronically itchy/flaky scalp more than anything else ever has, and it has decreased my average shed amount. I know it causes bad effects in some... but bekahleigh, if you like what it does for you and it doesn't make you shed a whole lot more than usual, IMO there is no reason to stop.

I've really been enjoying the results I have from the castor oil. And before castor oil I used my coconut oil on my roots as well. Right now it's usually a mixture of half and half that I use, but I felt like just using castor oil this time. It's a tricky business i've noticed. Whenever I use undiluted castor oil I end up not washing it out properly. But it still doesn't look bad and it smells amazing, so I dont mind bunning it. I usuallly have my hair up anyways because if I don't I lay on it or it gets stuck behind me wherever I sit.