PDA

View Full Version : so annoyed with layers

ErinLeigh
December 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I officially hate my layers. I can tell they are not even. They air dry horribly. If I wear my hair up when I take it back down nothing stops the ends on the left side from flipping out. I know my stylist cut it trendy so the layers all flick out but I hate it. Makes hair look thin and shorter and it only "flip" on one side.

My longer bit of hair is CBL. I am wondering how to go about growing these back out.
Should I go get the layers trimmed to get them more blended? Will that stop the flippies? And do blunt layers look choppy or smooth when done?
Should I maintain length until the shortest layer hits shoulder or should I just grow and microtrim? If I maintain it will take forever to get to APL or BSL. Any suggestions so I at least have a game plan?
I am feeling quite annoyed right now.

I want layers in my hair, don't get me wrong. I need them to give some body and not make my head look like a triangle..but I do not want severe layers like I have now. I only got them like this to cut out damage. I am finding tho that these wispy flicky layers aren't good for hair since there are so many hairs that are alone if that makes sense. They don't have the strength of being in a group of hair. The ends are so textured that there are parts where only 5 hairs make a tip. I hope that makes sense. The last inch of every tip is textured which in my opinion only serves to make my fine hair look damaged and broken (which it isn't) instead of the intended effect of "style." I feel the hair is much more vulnerable as hair acts as single strands and not a unit. There isn't the protection of lots of strands around each other.

Should I have one inch cleaned up all over? I would have to cut an inch from length also make it match however. These layers are ruining my chances of growing out nicely as is.

I need to find a way to get back to the long layers I had before this hair disaster. I just don't know how to grow out layers while still wanting layers. I am worried about what if the cut to correct makes it worse. Has anyone ever grown out really severe uneven layers? If I round brush/blowdry hair it looks ok but I don't want to have to do this every single time. Knowing it can look ok when blown out is the only reason I haven't fixed them yet. That plus I was trying to get some growth first.

Isn't there a grow out layers thread? I cant find it. I need help before I go mad. Sorry this is so long but I had to vent this one out.

bmcfarland
December 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I totally understand your predicament. I feel like I am stuck in the sort of layer-loop...I'll go to get a trim, and that means more layers added onto the mess! -cries- I have also tried to look for the growing out layers thread, but can't find it. Do you also find it difficult to style your hair when all of the little 'single' hairs try to get in the way?

Ferryl
December 19th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I had my hair layered once because of all of the frequent "You have long hair; therefore you should layer it!" comments. I truly loved the way layered hair looked but could never obtain a non-horrible look without the assistance of a blow dryer. ..and I hate blow dryers. I eventually gave up and had it chopped off. If you trust the stylist that did this, you could call her and explain to her the situation. Maybe you can work together to figure out an appropriate solution. If it requires more cutting, maybe she can give you a discount or could do it for free since you are so dissatisfied with it. Being open and honest is the best policy. If you don't trust this stylist, then you probably should go elsewhere for the expert consultation. Whatever you choose, best of luck to you and your hair journey.

JessicaAnn
December 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I'm in the same hot mess right now. When I got my hair cut I asked for just a couple of long, blended layers and long bangs so I had a little bit of movement while my length grew back out. That's not what I got. I have a lopsided "soccer mom bump" going on toward the back and to the right of my crown, so if I'm not careful that layer poofs up and looks like I'm just missing a chunk of hair from that side of my head. Did I mention it is also over the top of a giant cowlick I've not had to deal with since I was a toddler? I seriously called my mom on how to handle it. She suggested dual pigtails with bows. Thanks, Mom.

The first layer up from the bottom is also terribly uneven. The left side looks good, but the right side is a good 1 - 1.5 inches higher than that. So the bottom on that side likes to flip out all crazy and I have to curl the whole thing under if I want to wear it down. The stylist who cut it also cut my fringe really deep on the right side. It has grown to where its almost covering my ear at this point (yes, that far back that it is over the top of my ear) and I'm waiting until it gets to chin length before I get the fringe trimmed in just the front to be about cheek length so it looks like intentional face framing layers.

As for the rest of it I'm going to wait until mid to late January and have about an inch taken off the bottom and the longer side of that uneven layer cut up to match the shorter one. I don't think there's much I can do for the bump, but the longer it gets the better it looks/easier it is to hide. The same goes for the shorter layers. They're just going to have to grow to the point where I'm comfortable getting them re-cut.

You might ask a stylist about blending the layers. I went a few weeks after this wretched cut to another stylist who is a genius with layers and she was able to debulk the top layer and blend them all in a little better. It wasn't perfect, but it was a vast improvement. We also discussed a plan to get my hair to the shape I want it at (which unfortunately involves several months of just letting it grow so she has more to work with). So finding someone you are comfortable with who can help you with your hair goals might be a good first step.

Casey50
December 19th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I feel so comforted reading your posts. I hope that doesn't sound too crazy but I've been suffering and obsessing over my layers. I got a horrible haircut last summer. She cut layers everywhere on my BSL hair. It totally traumatized me. My longtime hairstylist had quit. I always had a few below chin length layers by my face and no where else. I was worried and thought with the new hairstylist "how bad could she be?" Hah!! My back layers are only now at the base of my neck. My front wisps are finally hitting below my chin.

I went to a talented hairstylist in Las Vegas who despaired at my layers, tried to fix my hair and told me not to cut my hair for 3 months. It's now December and I haven't let anyone cut my hair. It's nearing bra strap length again.

this so upset me I'm afraid to go to anyone to cut my hair. I trim my long bangs (very small section) and just keep growing it. I'm scared they will cut more layers! I'm worried they will cut off all my hard won growth! I told my dh I'm growing my hair to mid back again, maybe waist length. I do natural treatments and use shampoo bars etc. (When i was younger i had my hair below my butt in two braids)

i can't believe how much this upset me but I'm comforted that you all feel the same as I do. It makes me feel less alone. Sigh.

spidermom
December 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I recently got a V-cut with blended layers and love it. My best advice is to find pictures of layered hair that you like in a length similar to what you have and take it to your stylist. I think that blunt-cut layers always look bad, like stair steps up your head. Bleh!

Of course find a stylist you can trust first. Sometimes you have to lurk at a salon, pretending to look at styling books and products while you observe stylists and their work. I have done that, telling anybody who asks that I'm thinking of a change but haven't decided yet.

Scarlet_Celt
December 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Layers are such a pain in the butt. They are so annoying to grow out and are not for those whose hair likes to misbehave. Personally, I find my hair behaves itself a lot better when it is all the same length. I'd advise being patient with your layers for now. Wait until they've grown to a length you can stand and then maybe consider getting a trim to cut them out. It took me years to outgrow my layers.

Liz_park
December 19th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I am wondering how to go about growing these back out.

I wonder if it would be helpful for you to just trim from the bottom of the hair and leave the layers alone. Perhaps grow for 3-4 months, and then trim 1 inch off the bottom, and repeat until the layers are a bit longer and blend in with the rest of your hair. With this method, you'll still feel like your hair is getting longer, but the layers will become progressively less annoying.

You may find that after 4 months they have grown a bit and fall nicer and no longer flip up. I have been growing out layers that were super annoying at first (very much as you described) but as I grow them out, they look so much nicer now.

Can I also encourage you to self-trim? I personally got stuck in a terrible cycle of layers by going to a hair salon rather than trimming my own hair. I would grow it out and then go in to trim the bottom and "blend the layers" and I always came out with MORE layers! No matter what I said, even when I had a photo of a blunt cut, they would add more short layers. I wasted so much time and money. I self-trim now and honestly, it's the best my hair has ever looked. Try it! :D

ErinLeigh
December 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM
You guys have made me feel much better. I felt really alone on this one. I see page after page of beautiful hair and I sit here with my short, flippy layers.
It helps to have support. As you all have said I am worried about fixing them as we all know that means ending up with more layers. I do trust my stylist but there is only so much she can do. I am the idiot that requested this cut (with pics) to cut out the keratin damage.

Spidermom, so blended do look like stacks huh? I though so but hoped not. I just looked at some pic and I agree. sigh
I want YOUR type of layers. I have to grow first but you know what I mean. Layers that help, not hinder the look. I love you cut and do prefer to your previous one length. See I like layers. That make me a danger to myself because I request them! Note to self never advise my stylist how I want hair. She works best when left to her own ideas.

Layers done right are gorgeous. The do incredible things for hair. The problem is when done wrong (or not to your preference) it is so hard to grow back out. My hair looks so think on the bottom. I have all this weight around the chin...then just 2 clumps of "length" that just hang straight below. it loks yuck and you can see what I mean from the signature pic.

oh JessicaAnn thanks for the laugh. I am off to get bows for my pigtails hehe

Has anyone found the grow out layers thread yet? I swear it disappeared :(

Thank you agani everyone. I am going to follow the advise here and try and get thru this.

LaurelSpring
December 20th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Oh the lure of layers. I have succumbed to it several times now and regret it every time, at least on the back. I do like a little fringe around the front but that doesn't really affect anything. I ended up cutting back up to just below bsl to get rid of some of them and now of course I am back to waiting patiently for it to grow back out and desperately reminding myself to never do that again. It always sounds like a good idea but layers mean I have to actually do something with the layers to make them look right which means heat which means damage. Its a terrible cycle. I want my avatar hair back! What was I thinking? What crazy mood got into me to cut my beautiful hair into something thin and stringy looking. It is thick and almost layer free now, I just have to patiently wait for another year to get the length back. It seems so long to wait for such an impulsive moment but that is all that can be done. Patience.

UltraBella
December 21st, 2013, 12:53 AM
I'm so sorry you're unhappy. I love my layers and won't give them up EVER, but I've got a very trusted stylist who blends them perfectly. A lot of people compliment me on my layers and ask me who cuts them, so I send them her way. Maybe you should start keeping an eye out for people with layers like you desire, you can always compliment them & inquire if their stylist is local.

sakuraemily
December 21st, 2013, 06:44 AM
Ok I suppose this is not going to be very helpful but it is related so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLFBhCOVx4E

You guys did say something about layers flicking out on only one side so...

jacqueline101
December 21st, 2013, 07:37 AM
I had layers and I kept trimming them out as my hair grew. That's the only way to get rid of them. If you are not wanting to trim them out you could get them evened up so they grow out evenly stay in your up dos. Other then that I have no advice.

alimc
December 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Hey! The only thing which stopped my shorter layers flipping up was to grow them. The length gave them weight which in turn made them behave... My hair flipped up until lit was well on the way to APL. VERY frustrating!! Maybe you just have to ignore it for a while until you gain more length?

Anabell
December 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Don't worry! It nothing you can't fix. I grow out my layers from like... midback-waist length. I mean- it was all layered from like shoulders to the very ends. It was very nice as long as I come to the hairdresser to refresh and add some new layers. But at some point I start to want thick ends so I just stopped. I just do a blunt self trims until it was (almost) all gone. I still have two last layers that I microtrim to get rid of. If your hair is at CBL it won't take so long! The length differences between your layers isn't that big like mine was, for example. Your shortest layer will catch up within a year or two (at max) and then you will able to do the type of layers that you want. I thing it will be a better strategy than try to mix it up with a new layers...It will be better to try one thing at a time. In the mean time you can research and see what exactly do you want. You can see a self layered cut tutorials in youtube (I thing that here in LHC they found a link to a really good one. Try to search it).

If I will find an old picture of my layers I will add it. It was heavy layered, and my hair almost in blunt hemline right now, so maybe it will motivate you.

EDIT:
I see someone already add the tutorial. I'm pretty sure this is the same one I saw in some other thread.

ErinLeigh
December 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I'm so sorry you're unhappy. I love my layers and won't give them up EVER, but I've got a very trusted stylist who blends them perfectly. A lot of people compliment me on my layers and ask me who cuts them, so I send them her way. Maybe you should start keeping an eye out for people with layers like you desire, you can always compliment them & inquire if their stylist is local.

Do you have suggestion on howto take flipply choppy layers and turn them into blended layers without losing too much length? I made my stylist do these not realizing how they would wear in day to day life. I feel bad telling her I do not like them especially when she didn't want to do them in the first place. I had perfect layers before this cut. I need to be really careful what I ask for next time as she will give me what I want, so I must be literal. What terminology should I use to get the layers I seek? The ones that blend together and look almost invisible but add volume and swing?

ositarosita
December 26th, 2013, 09:45 AM
My current layers are uneven and create a "step" so what I've done is grown them out for the past 5 months ish ... and now I'm just going in to trim my layers even them up so as they grow they aren't "wonky" and they lay better. This will be the first time I will be trimming my layers since they have been cut so they are closer in length to the length of my hair.

ositarosita
December 26th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Do you have suggestion on howto take flipply choppy layers and turn them into blended layers without losing too much length? I made my stylist do these not realizing how they would wear in day to day life. I feel bad telling her I do not like them especially when she didn't want to do them in the first place. I had perfect layers before this cut. I need to be really careful what I ask for next time as she will give me what I want, so I must be literal. What terminology should I use to get the layers I seek? The ones that blend together and look almost invisible but add volume and swing?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Bring in a picture of what you want, what you like, explain what you like THEN bring in a picture of what you DON'T want and explain why.

ositarosita
December 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2mGymUVwY&list=FLdOqTWdKbSGUWciwxI4tu5w ... this I show I will be trimming my layers as they grow out so I don't have a huge mess on my hands ( my hair is only slightly past collarbone so it will only take a couple more months for my layers to be gone)

butterflybutton
December 26th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Was it the same stylist that did your perfect layers before? If so just let her know you'd like to get them back. She might suggest to leave it longer between cuts or blend the exterior lengths to let the top layers grow out.

PinkyCat
December 27th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Hey - just an idea - remember those banana clips from the 80's? Well you can still get them (more modern) & they make an awesome updo with layers.
Just a thought.

Snoofie
December 27th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I wonder if it would be helpful for you to just trim from the bottom of the hair and leave the layers alone. Perhaps grow for 3-4 months, and then trim 1 inch off the bottom, and repeat until the layers are a bit longer and blend in with the rest of your hair. With this method, you'll still feel like your hair is getting longer, but the layers will become progressively less annoying.

I second this. I had a really, really horrible blunt cut done in August (when all I had gone in for was a 1/2 inch trim on the back) and I despaired of how to grow out those damn layers. What I finally decided to do was just let it go, and go in for a 1/2 inch trim on the back only every eight weeks (I've only had one so far and am due for my next one on January 24.) It's amazing how much of a difference half an inch can make; it lets me gain length without getting too much of a mullet going on. Plus, as time goes by, I'm noticing that my layers are getting longer. (Now, mind you, they're now at the length you're talking about, with the flippy crap going on, but I know that given another eight weeks, that will pass.)

glittergloss
December 28th, 2013, 05:29 AM
I've been trimming my ends every 2 months to get rid of my layers and now my hair is all even.

ErinLeigh
December 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM
I would be fine with my layers if they weren't so deeply choppy. They are so textured unfortunately I will have to trim those. I have to even up the texture just a little bit or it will look raggedy as it grows. I have to get them more blended. I will post a pic of them at their worst tonight when I get to my laptop. Now they look fine if if I dry and leave them alone, but if I put my hair up..whenI take it down thet layers literally stand out at a 90 degree angle in varying lengths. That's how crazy choppy they are.

I am getting them trimmed on Tuesday. I would rather lose an inch then deal with hair that sticks out. I also don't like the way they make hair look ratty. The deep texturing makes it look like breakage. Its sad too as I have zero split ends nor any visible damage. I hate having to cut off good hair but I just cannot walk around looking sloppy another week! ... *gives evil side eye to layers* I am going to ask for layers that can be grown out without frequent trims. Then I can go back to microtrimming again. Setbacks..blah, oh well at the end of the day..it will grow back, albeit nicer this time. I am going to to get my roots done and a few highlights tossed in..and maybe add some bangs so I can enjoy the hair while it grows out. I want it to look good now, not later. My self esteem plummets when I am in the "in-between stage" I would be little past BSL by now had I not ruined my hair in October so I just have to find a way to make hair look good enough to live with for now so I don't get down about it :(

I will be starting the New Year with shorter hair, but this time next year I should be getting back to where I want to be, hopefully.

Pinkycat...they still make banana clips? off to google :)