PDA

View Full Version : how is your hair dealing with the summer weather?

brok3nwings
September 8th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I am in Madeira Island (that belongs to Portugal) and i´ve been dealing with a lot of sun. My hair is beeing washed almost everyday cause almost everyday i go to the sea and i would get even more damage if i didnt washed it at least with conditioner.
What are you doing that really works to protect your hair from all this heat? And what doesnt and would work in cold weather?

Shypii90
September 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
yeah i'd love to see some replies and help too.
I live in a Mediterranean super-sunny country so in summer it's near constant swimming, and in "winter" it's still very sunny!

chrissy-b
September 8th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I've been having to wash my hair more often than I'd like because it's been so hot and humid. I've been using a lot of shea butter lately and my hair has been drinking it up!

The only thing that really changes for me in the winter is I don't have to wash as frequently and I mist much more often because of all the flyaways.

Curlsgirl
September 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Mine has actually been doing very well but I haven't gotten in any chlorine or salt water much lately. I keep it up when outside mostly in the heat and humidity and only wash usually once a week. My hair is very hard to deal with in pool water or ocean water either one!!! :mad:

SweetPea88
September 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I live in the south and my hair is fairing pretty well this year. I apply lots of coconut oil and try to keep my head covered with a hat/shade when I can. It helps to have it in a braid or updo when I can and it definitely helps keep me cool(er).

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hello! And I hope you are being very well recieved in my country!! :D

Madeira is a very beautyfull place and I hope you are enjoying it. As for the Sun, I am in the same boat as you, since I am always really carefull with heat exposure.

There is a very good product I use for sea, chlorine and sun, it does wonders about protecting my hair. It's a spray from Elvive, it comes in a yellow bottle. Maybe you can search it in a supermarket. I went to Cavo Verde in Africa and I caught a lot of Sun, pool and beach, and I really don't notice any damage. Of course the ends are dry but that's also because I don't really trim much.

Another good idea is for you to wet your hair before going to the beach, and in between baths in the sea water, that will help your hair rest from the salt.
You're doing great conditioning it every day that you go to the beach, it's better to protect it and help it recover from the tough day :)

I wish you the best luck and a wonderfull time in the rest of your vacations!

brok3nwings
September 8th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Oh well it seams im not the only one dealing with this problem ;)
chrissy-b well i am in THE humid paradise...today it was raining intensivly cause there was 90 percent of humidity (i dont know if thats the right word). So i have sun AND humid weather that drives my scalp nuts.

Curlsgirl yeah i can imagine, you are a curly and a blondy! that surely makes it even harder...

Sweetpea88 that is probably what i should be doing but i dont cause when i go to the beach well, i leave my hair free to dry, and besides...i only like my hair blonde and so its a difficult situation lol the sun makes it blonder but it does damage hair

Little Bird Hy! I should be talking to you in portuguese... i was born in Madeira and im actually living in Lisbon. I had already contact you by a message about 4 months ago (searching portuguese people) but i dont know if you recieved it. Thank you for your kind words i actually love coming to madeira on vacations. the sea is great, the weather is great for summer lovers. About the elvive product does it have silicones or something that would imply having a shampoo? i normally dont use much shampoo and i´ve been using natural products without silicones. What do you use for your hair here in Portugal? I must say, i truly admire your hair!

Beatnik Guy
September 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What is the "summer weather" of which you speak? I'm still waiting for summer here...

brok3nwings
September 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Beatnik Guy eheh here in Portugal the summer starts at July and ends about the end of September..so im nearly at the end of my summer