PDA

View Full Version : Short chunk of hair - do you have these too?

MaryMarx
December 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Today I just happened to find a chunk of hair that's like 4 inches long, or should I say short.
My hair is almost APL, and this chunk was hidden under 'normal' hair and I saw it only because I had a deeper part than normal.

I feel kind of worried... do you have these chunks too? The ends seem tapered, and I just can't think of what could have damaged my hair like that.
If it's just new hairs, isn't it weird that they all have the same growth schedule?

Pic:
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/schakt/DSC00623_zps48dbc905.jpg

Anje
December 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Do you wear ponytails frequently? Check where your chunk ends relative to where you usually secure your hair.

Sad to say, I had a big chunk just like that and ended up swearing off ponytails entirely, when I realized that they were causing it. Joined LHC not so long afterward.

spidermom
December 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
This has happened to me when I had an accident (like my hair catching up in the hinge of something) and ripped out a number of hairs all at once.

Firefox7275
December 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Today I just happened to find a chunk of hair that's like 4 inches long, or should I say short.
My hair is almost APL, and this chunk was hidden under 'normal' hair and I saw it only because I had a deeper part than normal.

I feel kind of worried... do you have these chunks too? The ends seem tapered, and I just can't think of what could have damaged my hair like that.
If it's just new hairs, isn't it weird that they all have the same growth schedule?

Pic:
http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t399/schakt/DSC00623_zps48dbc905.jpg

I have them but smaller than yours and hey originate at the crow or slightly lower down: I suspect they are related to hair either being pulled out at the roots or breaking off when doing up dos. I used to have loads more hairs sticking out at the back when I wore a ponytail 24/ 7. Even with LHC approved secures you can still have the weight of the hair focussing the strain on certain sections.

MaryMarx
December 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Anje and Firefox7275, I do wear ponytails but lower down, so that hair shouldn't be affected! Although I try to wear claw clips instead of ponies (but I use soft ones when I do).
I don't wear any accesories that could have snagged the hair in that place... an occasional bobby pin though.
I feel something weird is going on with my hair. :(

Spidermom, yes, that would be a logic explanation, but that just has not happened to me. I kind of wish it had though, so that I would know what was going on.

JessicaAnn
December 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I have a short layer starting at my part thanks to the "stylist" who cut my hair a couple of months ago. Earlier this week I noticed that one little chunk of it had a ton of splits and white dots. All I can figure is that I caught that bit in a clip or something recently. If it had been under another layer I doubt I would have noticed it before all the splits broke off and resulted in shorter hair. The only other spot in my hair that has any splits is the bit that grows directly over my right ear because I am always playing with it and tucking it behind my ear.

jacqueline101
December 19th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I had that happen due to breakage. I was wearing the same hair do over and over. The french I wore constantly broke my hair off. You could dust the ends off and practice extra tlc.

gingerclip
December 19th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I have one of those right where my sideburns would be if I was a man. At first I thought it was just baby hair that always looks like way there (like how I always have some short, whispy hair at my temples) but that's not what it is. I've been slowly watching it grow. It's about 4 inches long now and it a solid chunk of hair like yours. IT's gotten long enough to go back in a twist, but I pulled it out to show you.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5515/11455826424_fdf7b0c75a.jpg

Since I've been watching it grow since it looked like baby hair, I really don't think mine is caused by any damage. I can't even think what I would be doing to my hair that would cause damage right above my ear??

koolkittychick
December 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I have them also, but for different reasons. Because I relax my normally kinky hair and only 4 times a year, I often have two very different textures on my head--the straightened hair, and anywhere from 1 to 2 inches of kinky hair. If I'm not careful when I style my hair, the hair can break off as the point where the two textures meet, usually where I wear my ponytail if I style my hair like that too often. In the last year or so, I have resorted to wearing loose bun styles like 90% of the time to avoid stressing out my hair in any way. Eventually with the proper care and protection, those short bits will just blend back into your hair as those strands continue on their individual growth schedules, so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

MaryMarx
December 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Thank you everyone for your answers!
I guess I'll just have to accept that it's weird and I'll never know what caused it. Mostly I think I'm afraid it will spread across my head... chunks breaking off/stop growing.
I just can't figure out what would cause the damage, but either way it's there now, and there's nothing I can do about it. :D

tetisheri72
December 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've got a little little chunk in the back of my head llike that. I'm not sure where it came from. It's not where any hair style would be, so it's odd. It's growing I think, because I didn't notice it until a few days ago.

spidermom
December 19th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I think it's entirely possible that you have a cluster of hairs that are on the same growth cycle. They probably all shed out at the same time and now are regrowing at the same time.

blue_eyes
December 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM
About half my hair is like this right now thanks to a bleaching attempt gone wrong. The rest of my hair is at APL. Before that I'd never had short chunks of hair, so it was definitely breakage in my case. At least it grows back! :P

PrincessIdril
December 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I have a chunk like that! Mine is a bit smaller than yours and a bit further forward on my head. I always assumed it was a weird chunk of new growth since it's not a part of hair that would be obviously affected/damaged by my daily styles (loose, bun, braid or braided bun normally)

lapushka
December 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I typically have them (not as thick as yours though) on the sides of my head, all the way around my forehead and towards both ears. And on the underside, at the nape. So... all around. But they're whispy. All in all when added they amount to a pretty big chunk of hair. But I think in this case it's just normal. They're fringy bits.

Your hair "chunk" is in the middle somewhere. If it's not from obvious breakage or from a damaging process (like bleach or dye, or heat or from layers having been cut in the past), then I'm guessing it's just new growth. Hmm. :hmm: Are you sure a hairdresser wasn't in there with thinning shears?

vindo
December 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I have that on each side of my face and it is regrowth from hair loss. I lost most of my hair at my temples at some point and hair that was formerly classic length disappeared and turned into this chunk...:( I can add some longer layers to it but the front looks like I have layers.

(PS: It is not the bangs in the picture, I actually just grew my bangs out ;))

MaryMarx
December 20th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the answers! I don't have the time to answer separately, but I read everyone. :)
I hope it's new growth, of course, but I don't like the idea of having hair at that area that fell out at the same time.

And no, no hairdresser for yeeears. Unless someone has been really mean to me. ;)

Taisyun
December 20th, 2013, 04:22 AM
the whole area around my face is like that. if i wear a ponytail the bits at the front will not go up because theyre too short. even though i have never ever cut them and never had bangs ever. and theyre not babyhairs, they're about 6 inches long and they go about 1.5 inches backwards around the whole front of face. i dont know why they are like this but i'm glad im not the only one. (oh i should mention they've been this short for about 3 years now and never get any longer, but before that they were much longer)

cranberrymoonz
December 20th, 2013, 04:51 AM
I have those baby hairs around my face, and nape hairs too. But this looks different. The ponytail explanation sounds most plausible to me.

MaryMarx
December 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Taisyun, it's so weird! I feel kind of glad too I'm not the only one...

cranberrymoonz, yes, I wish it was just normal baby hairs. :(

mamaherrera
December 20th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I have that too around my face, that goes back about like 1.5 inches inwards, so from my temples (which start further back to begin with) and then I have short hairs starting from 2 inches going to 6 inches, and they they get normal length. Obviously that must just be normal for my hair cycle growth, because I shed those short hairs, (varied lengths) so it's not from damage, they only grow so long and they shed out. My ponytails always start farther back.

Sharysa
December 24th, 2013, 01:23 PM
You're perfectly fine--I have at least three or four chunks of short hair hidden around, even though I've been braiding my hair and treating it well for nearly two years. Hair actually shouldn't grow in perfectly even, because once your hair starts shedding for the year (usually winter), it means you'd be bald or at least a few inches shorter than normal for the next few months.