PDA

View Full Version : More curls when damaged hair?

Lockoptimisten
December 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
My hair used to have a lot of damage from bleach and bad habits but for the last 18 months I have taking god care of my hair with moister deep conditions and SLS-free schampo but my curls desnt like it that much. It looks healthy but it is not as wavy/curly as it used to be. I thought the curls would be even better if i took god care of my hair but nono :(
When i tried a poo-bar my hair got really dry but the curls were awesome. I couldnt keep up with the bars because of lots of white dots and splits from using it... Does anybody have the same problem? Tips for me or should i accept the waves as more or less gone?

goldenlady
December 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
This is the case with a lot of people. It's like how when you have swam in the sea your hair goes really curly, the salt dries hair out. I find when I deep condition my hair goes to about a 1b.. It depends what you want.. Really curly hair or really conditioned hair.

kiezel
December 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I have the same problem and would like some advice as well..

Firefox7275
December 19th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Hair being slightly drier can tighten some of the structural bonds in hair: that is partly how magnesium sulphate (epsom salts), sodium chloride (sea/ table salt) and hydrolysed protein boost curl. Conversely hair being wet or overly conditioned can weigh hair down. Work with your hair properties (porosity, elasticity, coarseness) when choosing ingredients and products.

The appropriate treatment for colour damaged hair is better conditioning (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) and targeted patch repairing (ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol, hydrolysed protein), reduced porosity and increased elasticity (coconut oil) not more moisture (= water). In fact too much water can be harmful to the hair (hygral fatigue).

Ingredients that can build up and weigh hair down include many silicones, waxes and butters, excessive use of the major humectants (eg. glycerin, propylene glycol) especially in humid weather. Ingredients that may boost curl include salts, hydrolysed proteins, certain polyquats, xanthan gum, honey, coconut oil.

Vampyria
December 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
My hair has gotten a lot straighter when I stopped dyeing and heat styling. I thought that my hair type changed and went from wavy to straight, but it didn't. Mine is also less stiff and frizzy now, so I don't mind it that much. Something like water or conditioner only washing might work - I discovered my hair did not just straighten after swimming in the lake.

Avital88
December 19th, 2013, 09:24 PM
yes this is mine aswel! i really love my curls, and sometimes feel like cutting it to shoulder and go a little crazy w the bleach..
They used to call me Shakira, but now its nowhere close.. i love my shine now though

restless
December 20th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I can think of three things that straighten out my waves/wurls (well, apart from heat) ; hair dye, heavy products and longer lenghts. Maybe some of them can be applied to your hair as well?

afu
December 20th, 2013, 04:09 AM
I find that the best way for me to get the best of both worlds is to let my hair dry curly, and then once it, is dry add the conditioning leave is. I usually let the curls dry and then get my hands damp under the tap, rub a thin conditioner through my hands and then scrunch upwards into my hair until it feels soft and conditioned

misspage
January 18th, 2020, 09:53 PM
That's crazy. Heat, bleach and dye destroyed my curls completely. If I wanted them back I'd have to cut my hair to a bob :( I envy you!