PDA

View Full Version : The pain of growing out A-line cuts...

4C4rly4
December 19th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I've been growing out an A-line cut from chin to shoulder for a year now. It took that long to grow it 3 flippin inches because I kept having to trim it to gradually even it out.
Thankfully, I recently evened out all my hair (but got some layers which I love) so now I don't have to keep trying to even out the bottom.

Lesson learned...A-line cut never again.

Dragon
December 19th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Happy growing :) It's sucks having to learn things the hard way :( But at least we learn to not do it again :)

joflakes
December 19th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Aww, that sounds horrible but at least you can grow without worry of hemline weirdness now! Well done :)

Lyv
December 19th, 2013, 04:59 AM
I know that feeling! I had an A-line then got layers in the back to make it an inverted bob and it is definitely a pain to grow out, I'm close to waist now with it evened out on the bottom except some layers I got early this year. Now that you're evened out you'll get long hair in no time :)

MissAlida
December 19th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I got an A line cut at the end of august. It was about chin length in the back and a bit longer in the front. I haven't had any trims since then. Today I checked it in the mirror, and it seems to be shoulder length, almost all one length (except for the layers - I have curly hair). So this is my theory: my hair in the back/nape area grows faster than my hair in the crown and front. So no trimming for me for another couple of months. I'm dreading APL. It's the worst milestone. It takes a long time to get there, and an eternity to finally reach BSL. At least that's my experience from last time. But then again, I trimmed it a lot. No scissors for me. Happy growing 4C4rly4. :D We'll be longhairs in no time.

joesgirl2011
December 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I ruined my hair by August (bleaching/dyeing) and I went in to get an "A-line" cut but walked out in the middle because she cut it about 2 inches longer on my right side and thought it looked fine :confused: I had her fix the un-eveness and said "ok, enough, I'm done". I didn't get the layers put into it and I am glad. I have ton's of breakage but thank goodness I didn't let her chop anymore off. I am starting over at below chin/shoulder. I have a "dying/bleaching" emotional issue..but that's another story.

4C4rly4
December 19th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I know that feeling! I had an A-line then got layers in the back to make it an inverted bob and it is definitely a pain to grow out, I'm close to waist now with it evened out on the bottom except some layers I got early this year. Now that you're evened out you'll get long hair in no time :)

I didn't know what an inverted bob was so I had to look it up. Turns out I actually had an inverted bob, not an A-line cut (because I had the layers in the back as well). It's such a hassle to grow out, but I gotta admit I don't regret cutting it that short. It was a completely new hairstyle for me, and I actually got lots of compliments on it! lol, but I'm pretty certain going that short was a once in a lifetime thing for me. I've been told longer hair suits me better anyway, and I agree with that.
That's cool that you're almost at waist now. I think waist is such a fun length cuz that's when your hair gets really flowy and princessy haha :D

4C4rly4
December 19th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I ruined my hair by August (bleaching/dyeing) and I went in to get an "A-line" cut but walked out in the middle because she cut it about 2 inches longer on my right side and thought it looked fine :confused: I had her fix the un-eveness and said "ok, enough, I'm done". I didn't get the layers put into it and I am glad. I have ton's of breakage but thank goodness I didn't let her chop anymore off. I am starting over at below chin/shoulder. I have a "dying/bleaching" emotional issue..but that's another story.

Eek, not a good experience. But I was thinking, maybe your stylist was trying to cut an asymmetrical bob (although she should have asked you first)? Those are longer on one side - Rihanna's hair is a good example:

http://hairstyles.thehairstyler.com/hairstyle_views/front_view_images/983/original/8039_Rihanna.jpg

And also, if anybody's interested, here is where I found the difference between the different types of bobs, including A-line: http://holleewoodhair.com/2012/06/21/different-types-of-bobs/

bunnylake
December 19th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I *just* cut my hair into an inverted bob. It's layered and angled but not too much, so I am hoping that it'll look okay as it's growing out. I don't plan on keeping this cut because it's actually harder to maintain than longer hair. It turns out the ends of my hair really want to flip outward so I have to blow dry them under with a round brush. Really annoying and I'm worried about causing damage... but I just can't walk around looking like Mrs. Brady. I'm hoping to get to shoulder length in 6 months... or am I crazy?

fritillary
December 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I had a long pixie that I'm growing out, and I had sort of the same problem - I styled the ends SO MUCH with heat because I could keep cutting them off as I maintained the cut. Now, though, I'm realizing that the extent of the damage was worse than just those ends. It's all kind of chin length now and the front bits are so fried. I'm going for a trim in January, but I think it will be at least another year before I even reach shoulder length because of all the trims I'll need. :\ Never again.

4C4rly4
December 19th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I had a long pixie that I'm growing out, and I had sort of the same problem - I styled the ends SO MUCH with heat because I could keep cutting them off as I maintained the cut. Now, though, I'm realizing that the extent of the damage was worse than just those ends. It's all kind of chin length now and the front bits are so fried. I'm going for a trim in January, but I think it will be at least another year before I even reach shoulder length because of all the trims I'll need. :\ Never again.

Yup, I straighten my hair with an iron almost every day. The whole point of cutting it short was to get rid of all the damage. But usually, the only way to maintain short hair is to straighten - in other words, damage - it. So basically, we chopped off our hair for no reason. yayyy -___-

fritillary
December 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yup, I straighten my hair with an iron almost every day. The whole point of cutting it short was to get rid of all the damage. But usually, the only way to maintain short hair is to straighten - in other words, damage - it. So basically, we chopped off our hair for no reason. yayyy -___-

YES! Exactly! I cut my hair short because those front bits kept breaking and I felt like I just had " bad hair. Well, they were breaking because I was heat styling them. But like I said, since you keep cutting short hair to maintain the short length it never looked bad. Now that I'm growing it back out it's all dawned on me. Crap. Well, now we know better, right? I totally have broken up with my hair dryer and flat iron.

bunnylake
December 19th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I wish I could break up with my blow dryer! These weird flippies are so unattractive. I am hoping another henna application or two will straighten them out. Before I cut my hair, it took the wave right out of most of my length. That's what I'm assuming is causing my hair to flip up. I dunno. :/

turtlelover
December 19th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I am in love with my blowdyer. Without it, my hair gets VERY flat right at the roots and has NO lift and turns into a weird pyramid shape. I wish it were otherwise, but for the time being, it is reality.

Also, growing out inverted bobs is quite a formidable task. Not as bad as growing out pixies, but CLOSE ENOUGH!

Agnieszka
December 20th, 2013, 05:01 AM
growing out pixie must be the worst thing, next is a-line. I'm in this process right now. I agree that blow drying is sometimes necessary. If I don't blow dry my healthy new growth is sitting flat on my head and the bottom is puffy and dry. When I blow dry them on low heat I look decent. I don't think I will ever give up blow drying my hair anyway. But who knows.

fritillary
December 20th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Man, I hear you guys. I do feel like my hair looks much better when it's been blow dried, but for the sake of trying to grow it out, I've sworn it off. And, well, I'm honestly tired of the effort and time it takes. I'm just glad it's winter - I can cover it up with a hat when it looks bad! Honestly, I'm not very optimistic about my hair growing well, growing long, or looking good if it does get long. I got tons of compliments on my hair when it was short, but never once when it's been longer. So at least if I hate it or it doesn't behave, I know I can hack it all off again. But I do so want to be an old lady with feet of hair that gets braided and piled on top of my head. <3 So beautiful.

Addy
December 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM
BunnyLake, My hair flips regardless of how it's cut! If it's shoulder length or shorter, it's going to flip on one side! I'm growing out a pixie and currently have a wing on one side! lol If I blow dry it on low, finger combing, I don't have it but natural, it's a flipper offer. I've been trimming my hair since June to grow out and my only length is above my ears. I can't wait to be a solid shoulder length! ugh... never again.

Agnes Hannah
December 23rd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Hi I grew mine out from an inverted bob, it took a while, but is doable. I didn't have layers in mine though, but it was cut very short into the V at the nape. Now my hemline is a straight line. Good luck, don't get disheartened, you will get there quicker than you think.