PDA

View Full Version : S&D with layers--help!

velorutionista
December 18th, 2013, 06:03 PM
So I thought I'd been doing pretty good with S&D (no official trim since July, and I thought I was doing pretty well). And then this afternoon I found a monster split end...a solid 2 inches of splits on one hair (it split 13 times--how is that even possible?!). It was in my shorter layers, toward the back of my head...I don't think I'd have seen it if it weren't for catching a tiny knot running my hand thru my hair. My layers range from chin length to almost BSL, and I have to admit, it hadn't really occurred to me to check my short layers when S&D'ing.

So now my question is, how do you S&D layers that are too short to throw over your shoulder and inspect? Any tips? Tricks? Or should I just suck it up and go for a proper trim (which prettymuch guarantees losing at least an inch allover). Any help would be awesome!!

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Do you have a trustworthy stylist? Maybe you could go in to the salon and try to make it clear as possible that you only want a microtrim? I have the same problem with too short of layers to trim myself. :(

AmyBeth
December 18th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Maybe use a lighted magnifying mirror?

Naiadryade
December 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I get splits like that too sometimes. You are not alone!

For layers I can't easily see--I just don't bother. :shrug: You can't win 'em all. For the rest of it, if I'm being systematic about it I take small sections of hair and loop them over the fingers of my left hand, as high up the hair shaft as I can comfortably see. I sort of gently fluff the loop to get any hairs that end at that length to stick out. If any of those are split, I trim them. Then I slide my hand down the section of hair an inch or two, and repeat until I've reached the ends. If I'm feeling really thorough I'll flip the section over, so the side that was facing my hand is now facing out, and repeat. Repeat on all sections of hair. (Hope that makes sense?)

Some people prefer twisting small sections of hair and looking for hairs that pop out that way.

Oh, also if you're not already doing this... it's easier for me to see more of the sections from the back of my head if I bring them directly over the top, instead of around the sides.

Good luck!

Yozhik
December 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I second twisting hair strands and snipping any splits that pop out. :agree:

Also, I wouldn't sweat it too much if you can't get them all. :)

Thirdly, if there's a George Michael salon nearby, I hear they do S&Ds. :)

browneyedsusan
December 19th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Lurking. :couch:
OP, My hair is very similar, and I have the same challenge. Great thread!
(I haven't managed to find a split as respectable as your monster, though! )

I trimmed a few weeks ago using this method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117777&highlight=compact). I had several small splits and the ends were getting velcroish. It worked really well for me. The top layers, over my ears, came out a bit shorter than I'd have liked, but it solved the problem and my length is about the same as before. --My last trim was February, at the hairdresser.

KellieMai
December 19th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I sometimes do the twisting and snipping, or take a section and put it over my middle find and under the ring and index finge and slide down the hair, and snip of any split ends I see.. For shorter layers at te back I use to ether not bother or take random sections and bring them over my head to the front and have a look, with the help of a mirror. :)

heidi w.
December 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Microtrimming is difficult when the hair is near chin length. It's easier when it's longer. Here are my tips: always work against a backdrop that is opposite the hair color so you can see the hair clearly. Work in strong light, such as sunlight. And make sure your scissors are sharp. Cut straight across and straight down. Splits at any length are somewhat normal, so don't worry about it being 2 inches above the length of your hair. Take it easy on cutting because it does thin the hair out a bit.
heidi w.

velorutionista
December 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I knew you guys would be full of great ideas!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Naiadryade, that bit about looping/twisting is downright genius--I haven't tried that before while S&D'ing before, but that does totally make all my layer ends pop up!! (Now that I'm sitting here at work far from my sharp scissors, I see quite a few that I'll have to track down when I get home!). I hadn't thought of pulling short back layers up over my head, either (you'd think that'd be obvious, but I'm so glad you mentioned it!).

Also have never heard of the compact cut method, Browneyedsusan...definitely checking that out, although it sounds like it might create more layers, so I may wait till my shortest layers are a bit longer to do that!

PraiseCheeses
December 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I sometimes do the twisting and snipping, or take a section and put it over my middle find and under the ring and index finge and slide down the hair, and snip of any split ends I see.. For shorter layers at te back I use to ether not bother or take random sections and bring them over my head to the front and have a look, with the help of a mirror. :)

Bolding mine - this is what I do. My hair is fine (and I see yours is fine as well) and therefore does not hold up well to twisting.

An overall trim won't do anything for your shorter layers; you'll just wind up with shorter hair. Best bet is to be patient, baby them, and wait until they grow enough to be inspected easily. In the meantime, play around with mirrors and lighting. You may also be able to pull shorter layers up over the back of your head rather than around your shoulder.

Naiadryade
December 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I knew you guys would be full of great ideas!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Naiadryade, that bit about looping/twisting is downright genius--I haven't tried that before while S&D'ing before, but that does totally make all my layer ends pop up!! (Now that I'm sitting here at work far from my sharp scissors, I see quite a few that I'll have to track down when I get home!). I hadn't thought of pulling short back layers up over my head, either (you'd think that'd be obvious, but I'm so glad you mentioned it!).

Bolding mine. Yeah, this is a somewhat more eloquent way of describing what I meant by making loops, KellieMai. The loop goes over my middle finger. Velorutionista, I'm glad you like this method! With the twisting, I find it hard to get at right angles with the split hairs and my scissors.

muddblood21
December 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I was just doing my first S&D and was wondering the same exact thing, so I jumped right on here! I love this site, it is such a wealth of information and everyone is always so willing to lend advice :)

lapushka
December 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Can you comb the layers forward, over your forehead to inspect? Or are they too short even for that. Surely not? :)

trolleypup
December 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Another ditto for Naiadryade's technique! With longer hair and fewer splits (well, I guess it is theoretically possible) a longer loop can be shaken a bit to bring the shorter ends out so you can see if they need to be cut.

Those spectacular splits usually are caused by a hair being pulled out of a tangle or around a sharp corner, usually the short splits are mostly on one side.

For those of us whose eyesight isn't what it used to be, reading glasses (or close vision prescription glasses) can be a big help. Shortsighted folks may be able to skip using glasses for S&D.

And, finally, don't worry about missing a few splits...a few splits won't do all that much damage...certainly less than an all over trim.

velorutionista
December 20th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I went thru using the loop method and got a ton of splits out, so I'm feeling much happier about the state of my layers!! Can't wait for these pesky layers to grow out already!!

Naiadryade
December 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hooray, so glad it helped! How long did it take you?

And I so know what you mean. Having finally gotten to a length I feel ok about, I'm microtrimming to get rid of the worst of my old layers. It was worth the wait, though. :D Good luck with yours!

velorutionista
December 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
I spent about an hour & a half doing it, but I was also half watching TV, so it didn't seem that long!