PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good way to moisturize the ends of my hair?

Leslieslsa
December 18th, 2013, 02:42 PM
So I just got a trim two months ago. But last night my ends felt a little dry. I inspected them carefully and found ONE split end. Which I cut out. But I don't want anymore. So I put coconut oil on the ends and I am going to wash it out today. If I did this the night before I washed my hair everyday would that help prevent splits? If not, what else can I use? Any ideas?

lapushka
December 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Nothing can help prevent your hair from splitting. You can keep it nice and as moisturized as possible, though and those are ideal circumstances for hair to be healthy. Just one or two drops of oil after washing on damp hair should basically be enough.

makeminea99
December 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I don't know about washing it every day though - unless that's what your hair and scalp likes, of course! It is a bit of trial and error, but most things are common sense really - going gently with it, wear it up (especially when out and about on windy, rainy days!), avoiding using too much heat on your hair, that kind of thing. It's damage limitation I suppose, but anyone would be hard pressed to not get split ends at all! :)

starlamelissa
December 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I get splits from friction, like aggressively rubbing with a coarse towel, or roughly brushing.

Coconut oil can't hurt, but I don't think you can prevent splits entirely. Just trim them as you find them, and try to be gentle with your hair.

Madora
December 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Using catnip to help prevent split ends:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

Leslieslsa
December 18th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I rarely wash my hair. And generally the tips are soft. But last night thy felt a bit dry. I do not brush my hair, haven't in years. Always mostly use my fingers and occasionally my horned comb.

Firefox7275
December 18th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Moisturising means adding or increasing water, no oil alone can do that since they contains no water and generally repel water. Hair feeling rough or dry can be many things from product or mineral build up, to damage to insufficient conditioning. Are you confusing condition with water content?

MeowScat
December 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Do you wear your hair up? It made a huge difference in my hair.

Finding the right conditioner is important, if you use cones you might want to try clarifying then doing a deep conditioning treatment, like an SMT.

MeowScat
December 18th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Do you wear your hair up? It made a huge difference in my hair once I started wearing it in a bun all the time.

Finding the right conditioner is important, if you use cones you might want to try clarifying then doing a deep conditioning treatment, like an SMT.

Leslieslsa
December 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I use both cone and non cone. I actually just tried Aveeno moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and the ends feel silky now. The non cone shampoo/conditioner I use it Tresseme naturals. Haven't tried the shampoo yet because I just bought it (the store was out) but I did try the conditioner and worked pretty well. I also condition my hair twice. Which seems to help. And I do deep conditioning. So I don't know that there is much else to be done.

meteor
December 20th, 2013, 05:45 PM
So I put coconut oil on the ends and I am going to wash it out today. If I did this the night before I washed my hair everyday would that help prevent splits? If not, what else can I use? Any ideas?
Washing ends every day is not a good idea. If your scalp needs to be washed every day, try to at least protect the ends, maybe even keep them dry inside a plastic bag a pony or loose braid while washing your scalp.
Oiling ends is one of the best ways of keeping them in good condition, so I think your game-plan is good.

Other things I'd recommend to save ends are:
- silk scarves, pillowcases, sleep caps;
- buns with ends tucked in;
- catnip soaks;
- brushing less (if at all) and using detangling wide-tooth combs instead.

Leslieslsa
December 20th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Washing ends every day is not a good idea. If your scalp needs to be washed every day, try to at least protect the ends, maybe even keep them dry inside a plastic bag a pony or loose braid while washing your scalp.
Oiling ends is one of the best ways of keeping them in good condition, so I think your game-plan is good.

- catnip soaks;
I am sorry I don't think I worded this well. I don't wash my hair everyday, I just mean't everyday that I wash it

sakuraemily
December 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM

- catnip soaks;

Yes silk pillowcase is a good idea. The basic idea is to not let your hair rub too much while you sleep.

Leslieslsa
December 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
I have had a satin pillowcase for two years now.