PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a wig to work every day?

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hello all,
I just began my new job as a cashier for CVS, but I have had plans to return to my blue hair in January or February. The thing is, I highly doubt my manager will be accepting of my pretty fairy hair. My stylist thought of possibly wearing a wig or a head scarf/wrap to work every day (such as the abbey cap in navy blue, which would match the uniform, but there is also a no hat policy. Does this count as a hat?), but that may also be seen as unprofessional. Right now I'm only part time. Sometimes I wish I didn't have that craving for blue hair! Everything would be much more simple...

Anyways, has anyone had experience with wearing a wig to work every day? Do wigs last very long when wearing them so much? Or would the headscarf be accepted in the workplace? (This is my first job, so I don't really know what is acceptable...) :confused:

breezefaerie
December 18th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Maybe you should ask your manager about the hair or hat.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Thank you. I plan to ask her on my next day in (being part time, I'm only there a couple days per week). :)

breezefaerie
December 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Can you call?
Have the conversation go something to the effect that you want to remain professional, but was thinking of making a change to your hair and wanted the offical guidelines as to what's allowed.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Ah! That's a great way to ask. I wasn't sure of how I'd do the asking, but that was helpful! Thank you. :) I'll call them right now!

cheetahfast
December 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
CVS managers are not allowed to say anything about your hair if it is blue.

I worked at one and it's allowed by corporate. I know hats are not allowed.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I just called, and was told by the assistant manager that she doesn't see what the problem would be with me having blue hair (as they are fine with nose piercings and such), and that I'd just have to check with the store manager when he's back.

Unofficial_Rose
December 18th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Actually a friend's friend's sister did this in her programming job! She wore a brown wig for 4 years. Underneath the wig, her own hair was a really bright artificial red (like a Manic Panic or Directions colour). She told no-one at work, and apparently they didn't know. Must have been a very good wig, though...

Edit - I see we've posted at the same time. Looks like you can rock the blue hair, then :)

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
CVS managers are not allowed to say anything about your hair if it is blue.

I worked at one and it's allowed by corporate. I know hats are not allowed.

Thank you for the response! :) That's great to know! Ah, loopholes are wonderful.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Actually a friend's friend's sister did this in her programming job! She wore a brown wig for 4 years. Underneath the wig, her own hair was a really bright artificial red (like a Manic Panic or Directions colour). She told no-one at work, and apparently they didn't know. Must have been a very good wig, though...

Edit - I see we've posted at the same time. Looks like you can rock the blue hair, then :)

You wouldn't happen to know what kind of wig she had, would you? Probably a human hair one? I'm just paranoid about getting a wig that will have that creepy shine to it! Haha...But hopefully the store manager will be like, "Yes! Please dye your hair blue! We love you!" -fantasizes about it-

Fluffmitten
December 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I wore a wig to work for about two years and the only people who knew where the ones who had seen my hair beforehand - new people didn't realise :)

My wig was "Robin" by Noriko, fibre not real hair and I had it for about ten years (although only wore it daily for about two). I used to take it off when I got home from work and handwash it once a week.

I'd be tempted to do it again as to be honest it was far nicer than my own hair!

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I wore a wig to work for about two years and the only people who knew where the ones who had seen my hair beforehand - new people didn't realise :)

My wig was "Robin" by Noriko, fibre not real hair and I had it for about ten years (although only wore it daily for about two). I used to take it off when I got home from work and handwash it once a week.

I'd be tempted to do it again as to be honest it was far nicer than my own hair!

Wow! I had no idea that a wig could last so long! Everything I've read so far has pegged synthetics at 4-6 weeks, but I suppose that would be for mega cheap synthetics. I was looking at a Noriko wig earlier today, I believe it was called Reese. What did you wash it with? Is there a special soap?

breezefaerie
December 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'm in Ohio and if I see someone at my CVS with blue hair, I'll be sure to say hello!:D

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm in Ohio and if I see someone at my CVS with blue hair, I'll be sure to say hello!:D

Haha, great! :) That would be quite the coincidence. It is a small world, though!

Fluffmitten
December 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Wow! I had no idea that a wig could last so long! Everything I've read so far has pegged synthetics at 4-6 weeks, but I suppose that would be for mega cheap synthetics. I was looking at a Noriko wig earlier today, I believe it was called Reese. What did you wash it with? Is there a special soap?

Yes, you're absolutely right - I wore a cheap one every day and would say 4-6 weeks was about right. The Noriko one I had was beautiful but I think the full retail price was over £200 (USD 300 ish). You can get some fantastic deals online though, especially in the US. (I have given up importing them as I had problems with UK import taxes.)

I washed it with wig shampoo and conditioner and I think part of the reason I could get away with doing it once a week was 1) it was nothing like as oily as my own scalp gets and 2) because it was already set in a style I wasn't using a lot of product on it. I'd just wash it in the sink and hang it up - much easier than my own hair too :D By the end of the two years it was looking a little straggly and then I only really wore it for the odd night out.

I've just seen the Reese, it's a really nice cut! I like the Noriko wigs because they aren't super-shiny in a wiggy way (although a bit of dry shampoo is good for matting down over-shiny wigs) and the fibres they use are fine and natural-looking (imho).

eithne
December 18th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hi, wear some of those pretty Israeli tichels that have many colors and cover your hair with them. Anyhow for them to have a no hat/scarf policy, that is going against the 1st amendment. Tell them that you wear that scarf for religious reasons. I know a woman in CO who works for the DoD (Dept of Defense) and when she went to wearing a plain black scarf/bandana to work, she was questioned about it by her supervisor, she told them she wore it for religious reasons and there was nothing they could do about it. But a wig is a good idea if you can find a decently priced one. The better made ones cost a bit more and custom made ones are in the thousands of $$$. Beauty Trends have nice ones and reasonably priced. I used to have gobs of wigs.:)

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Ohhh, that makes sense. Well, then the Reese wig will be my backup if my manager gives the thumbs down to blue hair! Take that, system!! It's nice to hear back from someone regarding the Noriko wigs - I have no clue what I'm doing! Haha... o.o

spidermom
December 18th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I find wigs to be hot and itchy, wouldn't wear one every day even for awesome blue hair.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hi, wear some of those pretty Israeli tichels that have many colors and cover your hair with them. Anyhow for them to have a no hat/scarf policy, that is going against the 1st amendment. Tell them that you wear that scarf for religious reasons. I know a woman in CO who works for the DoD (Dept of Defense) and when she went to wearing a plain black scarf/bandana to work, she was questioned about it by her supervisor, she told them she wore it for religious reasons and there was nothing they could do about it. But a wig is a good idea if you can find a decently priced one. The better made ones cost a bit more and custom made ones are in the thousands of $$$. Beauty Trends have nice ones and reasonably priced. I used to have gobs of wigs.:)

Ohhh, tichels are lovely! I don't know if they would believe me if I said it is for religious reasons, it would only take one little blue hair poking out from underneath the scarf for them to catch on. Haha...those stinkers... I get the feeling that they would investigate me or something, and find out that I am not affiliated with the religion. o.o They're so delicate andbeautiful, though!! Ahhh!

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I find wigs to be hot and itchy, wouldn't wear one every day even for awesome blue hair.

The itch was also something I was worried about. But I don't think that the heat would be an issue if I find one that is short enough? (Is that how it works?) Unfortunately, I'm like a dog with its jaw locked around its favorite chew toy...

Ferryl
December 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM
If you are still considering wearing a wig all day at work, I'd recommend wearing one while your hair is still a natural color. If it's itchy and uncomfortable, you'll have more information to work with when talking to your manager prior to the dying. Otherwise you may be pushed into making promises that you won't be able to keep. Just some food for thought.

bmcfarland
December 19th, 2013, 10:07 AM
So, I got a no from the store manager. BLEH. I'm going to have my blue hair one way or another. Maybe I'll do a thing where I have kind of neutral colorful bits in my hair. I'll post a picture later, it really isn't anythimng extreme.

breezefaerie
December 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
If you want a pop of color, maybe clip in extensions of wild colors that you can take in and out when needed?

Stinks not to be allowed to express youself. I have to keep my tattoos covered where I work.

bmcfarland
December 19th, 2013, 10:09 AM
If you are still considering wearing a wig all day at work, I'd recommend wearing one while your hair is still a natural color. If it's itchy and uncomfortable, you'll have more information to work with when talking to your manager prior to the dying. Otherwise you may be pushed into making promises that you won't be able to keep. Just some food for thought.

That is a very good thought. Thank you for keeping me grounded. haha. I do tend to jump into things head first!

bmcfarland
December 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
If you want a pop of color, maybe clip in extensions of wild colors that you can take in and out when needed?

Stinks not to be allowed to express youself. I have to keep my tattoos covered where I work.

It does stink not being able to express myself! Unfortunately, I really get a kick out of painting my hair. That's what the big deal is. My hair is my favorite canvas.

bmcfarland
December 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
So, here is that picture I was talking about.
I think this is pretty, too. I could hide the colors, and have this iridescent dragonfly wing coloration going on...
http://s24.postimg.org/xdh2jvfb9/Earthy.jpg