PDA

View Full Version : I Took a risk!

Lilybeany
December 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM
;). Hi all. So I'm waist length. I was bleached blonde.Had some roots showing. Was planning on growing bleach out. I got fed up seeing my new brown roots with the bleach. I didn't want to cut any off either. I spent hours searching the web for ideas. I got a literal excellence creme in 5.3 golden brown. I did two boxes. It's come out perfect. I'm happy. It's not far off my natural colour either. The condition is ok and I got no breakage. Now I can concentrate on growing my natural colour through and my few Grey's without such a contrast. I'm going to micro trim only and baby the ends. Colour suits me with my new glasses too.when I can post pics I will. Happy hair days are good days!

cranberrymoonz
December 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Good for you:)

Kaelee
December 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Yay! Congrats!!!!

You might find in time you have to trim more than you would otherwise, because of old damage. Make sure you condition well and pay attention to if your hair needs protein or not.

I'm happy for you! :D I'm already thinking what I'm going to do when I start going grey, whether I'm going to want to grow out the henna and let the gray come in or keep dying it. That's a long way off but I'm already thinking about it.

Lilybeany
December 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for reply. When you say protein..what do you mean?

Lilybeany
December 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Protein?...what would that be? I just got a tresseme colour protect conditioner. I will SD more, as well as micro trim. I'm not fiddling and fussing with it so much now since I coloured as I'm happy with it. I was a blonde dye hard, but I'm smitten with brown.I can't imagine being lighter now.I needed the boost and change.Are leave in sprays any good?

joflakes
December 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Yay well done! Protein in conditioners would be like keratin. :)

Naiadryade
December 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Congrats on your decision! And good luck on your journey to grow out your natural hair. :cheer:

Your hair is comprised primarily of protein (with some lipids/fats and water). So are your muscles, and the muscles of other animals--ie, meat--and plenty of other parts of living things everywhere.

To apply protein topically to your hair, you need hydrolyzed proteins. These can come from silk, soy, wheat, keratin, or other things. Some hair products have added proteins. Check the ingredients for keratin, "hydrolized ______ protein,""hydrolyzed ______," "_____ protein" etc. You can also DIY protein for hair using gelatin or low-sodium soy sauce/liquid aminos.

Pay attention to how your hair reacts to these products. Some people need to use protein every wash or as a leave-in. Some people do better with periodic protein treatments. Some people's hair feels like straw if they use protein at all. Color treated hair often needs some amount of protein, to replace what has been stripped away by harsh chemicals. But the balance between protein, moisture (water, and how it is retained in the hair), and conditioning/emollients (lipids such as oils and butters) is important. Too much protein can dry hair out. Balance protein with deep conditioning and moisture treatments.