PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for interview hair style

whylime13
December 17th, 2013, 05:07 PM
So I have a big job interview on Thursday, and I'm not sure what to do with my hair. My usual go-tos are a cinnamon bun held with spin pins, or a french twist for a business formal look. However as I approached BSL I lost my ability to keep my ends in a french twist, and earlier this week I managed to misplace 3 of my 4 spin pins. (either I hid them from the cats (and myself) or the cats got them). The only other buns I can manage are a lazy wrap bun or a disc bun. I know my hair stick sets are not the right style for a job interview, but do you think if I held a bun with a simple two prong wood fork (I have cedar or crepe myrtle) it would look ok?

Are there other bun styles I should try to learn?

TrapperCreekD
December 17th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I haven't interviewed yet, but I think simple hairtoys are probably the best way to go. If you can french braid, what about a tucked under french braid(or pin up the tail in a simple bun with a few bobby pins)? Good luck with your interview! :)

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM
For a job interview, I would splurge on a new set of spin pins. If you feel most professional that way, it is worth it. You don't want to have any doubts.

DH just shaved his beard for a job interview. He didn't get the job, but there were tons of young guys interviewing and he didn't want to show off the grey in his beard. I am of the mind that you don't want anything standing out but your personality and abilities. Hair toys (even subtle ones) are unusual in the wild, and might be a distraction.

longNred
December 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
What kind of job are you interviewing for? If it's a position that requires your hair be up and tidy, then yes, a tucked braid or a bun would be nice. But if not, maybe a simple, pretty side braid? I interviewed earlier this year (got the job) for an office position, and wore my hair down, in soft waves, but it was spring and the weather here was decent, no rain/wind, so it looked nice. I do think you should invest in some new spin pins if you decide to pin it up in some way.

ETA... Good luck!

anitacs9101
December 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Do you have hair ties, and any kind of hair pin? If you do a two-strand ponytailed cinnabun (wrapping one piece around once, pinning it down as you go, wrapping the other piece around once, etc until you get to the end. I think some people call it a vortex bun, but that might be three or more strands) you can pin the strands securely with pretty much any kind of pin. Holds best with 3 inch pins but but bobbies or 2 inch pins work just fine, and are both very cheap, if you don't already own them.

If I could I would give you some spin pins. I have like 20 of them and I don't even use them anymore lol.

HintOfMint
December 17th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Whatever it is, I recommend hairspray, Hairspray, HAIRSPRAY. No whispies or flyaways, whatever the hairstyle is. Good luck!

Chromis
December 17th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Somewhere after BSL I was able to do a log roll. It looks very similar to a French twist (only a lot easier!) and is my go-to style for such things. Well, actually it is pretty much always my go-to but I do tend to wear a more plain Ficcare for interviews. I think a not-to-flashy wooden hairfork would be fine too in a cinnabun. I find forks seem to be less distracting for people, perhaps because they can't mistake them for chopsticks.

I have not needed to use hairspray, but I do smooth in a bit of aloe gel or coconut oil. No one expects you to look like a hair commercial, just neat and tidy so that has always been enough for me even in more formal work environments.

Ferryl
December 17th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I agree with HintOfMint in that hairspray is a good idea when interviewing. Keep your hair up, neat, and tidy and you will give off a more professional look. My personal favorite is the french twist for interviews and I also have BSL hair. Here's a youtube video of a girl doing a french twist with waist length hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obg8mT08804 You'll need bobbypins but they are cheap.
Whatever you choose, good luck at your interview!

whylime13
December 17th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! The good news is that shortly after I posted this, I remembered that the night I lost the spin pins I was wearing a hoodie - and I found them in the laundry in its front pocket. Otherwise I was probably going to go out and buy more since the spin pin cinnabun with some pomade and hairspray is the only style I can reliably get to look sleek with no bits poking out. I will look into the vortex bun and the log roll so I have a bit more variety in the future.

Ashlbee
December 18th, 2013, 01:15 AM
I think the cinnabun with spin pins is a great way to go. That's the style I wore for a job interview I had about a year ago and the interviewer complimented me on the bun (she was going over company dress code and got to the part about hair and very much endorsed the sleek bun look.) I also got that job so I think of that hair style fondly as the interview look.