PDA

View Full Version : 11 months ago yesterday, I had a baby...

walterSCAN
December 17th, 2013, 10:22 AM
...and I've largely been ignoring my hair since. It's longer than it's ever been before, now, which is nice. It's HL braided, and I'm guessing about TBL unbraided, but I never get to have my hair loose long enough anymore to be certain of that. Could be longer for all I know. I didn't get the way-thicker-hair-'cause-no-shedding-while-you're-pregnant thing, so I didn't have a massive shed after I had LO (the Booger) either. That was nice, because I had kinda been dreading that.

I've also managed to meet my longtime goal of stretching washes to once a week. (Heh, not that I really had a choice about that for the first ~4 months, although the Booger's big enough to come with me when I shower now instead of screaming blue murder at whoever has the misfortune of watching him for me THE ENTIRE TIME.) Unfortunately, other than those positives, benign neglect has largely edged over into plain old neglect in the last 6 months or so, and it's making me sad about my hair. I've even thought seriously a couple of times about chopping it to my chin! DH would be very sad if I did that though, and so would I, I think.

My main issues right now are tangles, horrible horrible tangles, and (due to taking care of the Booger/ DH's and my opposite schedules/ Booger's burning desire to wrap himself in my hair and eat it) keeping it in the same braid for 5-6 days at a time. The tangles and the same-braid-all-week are connected, of course, and I feel like I'm getting a lot of damage from it. :(

SO, the reason I've made this thread is that I'm looking for encouragement to keep my hair and not chop it, and maybe ideas of cheap (read: free or nearly free) things I might be able to do to keep from continuing to damage it horribly as I'm afraid the one-braid-all-week issue won't be going away for quite some time. I made myself a silky pillowcase to use, that does seem to be helping already. Most of my tangles are happening at night-- Booger and I cosleep because we're still breastfeeding, and he makes me roll over a LOT more than I ever used to at night so he can get to the other boob. The cosleeping is another reason my hair is always braided-- don't wanna end up with it wrapped around him in his sleep! I generally just stuff the end of my braid under the top of my pillow so it's out of the way. During the day, it's braided and up in a stick, usually.

I also tried my first SMT this weekend, which I think I will be continuing as soon as I get some better conditioner for it (didn't really like the Suave I used). Actually, I don't know if it's the water here or what, but I've been having a hard time with conditioner *period* lately. It all seems to make my hair sticky/ more tangly no matter how long I rinse.

I've ordered some Nature's Gate conditioner (the aloe one and the jojoba one) and Yes to Blueberries conditioner that I'm hoping will be good/ better. I also use a blend of coconut oil and aloe post-wash, as a leave-in. Any suggestions for getting added slip somehow? My hair has always HATED cones, so I can't do it that way.

...well that post turned out WAY longer than I expected. Kudos to those of you who stuck through my rambling! As a reward ;) I leave you with this adorable baby to look at:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/beautiful2.jpg (1 day old)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/ornery.jpg
(11 months)

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/DIRT.jpg
(10 months)

and beg you to HELP ME PLEASE??!?

(...didn't the forum used to let us resize images? I didn't mean for them to be so big!)

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Aww, he's so cute.
Can you spritz your braid? There is such a thing as braid sprays, there are recipes online for them and you spritz the braid and maybe just lightly oil the braid tassel to keep the moisture in.

TiaKitty
December 17th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Awww... what an adorable Booger you've got in your hair!

He's old enough to sit up and eat in a highchair now, so he's old enough to entertain himself while you take care of your hair, even if you have to do it in front of him while you make goofy faces! Gently detangle and either re-braid or bun it each day. Make it part of your routine... maybe get yourself a hair-treat, like a new brush/comb, or a new stick or two.

I'll be no luck with slip suggestions, because i have to have cones to get slip. Even then, not much slip, because of my hair type, I guess.

It is good to see you back to posting here the past couple of days... maybe just coming to browse the bun thread/braid thread and the hairtoy addict's threads will be enough to stimulate you toward giving more attention to your mane.

walterSCAN
December 17th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Aww, he's so cute.
Can you spritz your braid? There is such a thing as braid sprays, there are recipes online for them and you spritz the braid and maybe just lightly oil the braid tassel to keep the moisture in.

I've been doing something like that-- put some of my leave-in on my hands and run 'em down the braid as kind of a stop-gap measure. I've also been S&Ding like mad while Booger naps the last couple of days. Seems like every third strand is split. :(

And thank you! :)

Awww... what an adorable Booger you've got in your hair!

He's old enough to sit up and eat in a highchair now, so he's old enough to entertain himself while you take care of your hair, even if you have to do it in front of him while you make goofy faces! Gently detangle and either re-braid or bun it each day. Make it part of your routine... maybe get yourself a hair-treat, like a new brush/comb, or a new stick or two.

I'll be no luck with slip suggestions, because i have to have cones to get slip. Even then, not much slip, because of my hair type, I guess.

It is good to see you back to posting here the past couple of days... maybe just coming to browse the bun thread/braid thread and the hairtoy addict's threads will be enough to stimulate you toward giving more attention to your mane.

:waving: I'm surprised anyone remembered me! And thank you, I think he's a rather darling little Booger, myself. ;)

You are absolutely right about that. Unfortunately, that high chair is at my mom's house (she watches him for me while I'm at work). We're still working on getting one for here. Instead, he's generally at large in the living room, spreading terror and destruction wherever he can. It's ridiculous, actually. He'll be sitting quietly on the floor playing, contentedly ignoring me, but as soon as I pull off the hair tie and start combing my ends, he's screeching and clawing to be held/ pulling my pants down if I'm standing/ generally hindering me however he can. Hair gets re-braided, and he's back to ignoring me. :mad: Sometimes I can comb it while he's sleeping, but sometimes it wakes him up. *sigh*

That is pretty much why I'm back/ why I remembered that I'm a member here-- to re-motivate me to take better care of my hair! I asked for one of these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/170208025/evolatree-elegant-natural-handcrafted?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=horn+comb+purpleheart&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=horn+comb+purpleheart) for Christmas, and I'm really hoping I get it because my current comb is on its last legs. It used to be fairly nice (saw cut plastic), but Booger likes to bang it on things and has broken a few tines. Oi. He'll get the old one to play with and no touching of mommy's new comb! He does like to pretend to comb his hair with it, though, which is very cute.

Question for the thread at large: Could hard water/ other weirdness in the water be causing my conditioner issues? If so, is there anything not super-expensive I can do about it? We rent and don't have a softener (and I'm not buying one for my landlord, either).

Thanks for the replies, guys!!

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 01:19 PM
He's a cutie your little boy. If suggest for your braid tassel to try a little oil. I'd try maybe a little mineral oil or your preferred oil. If you're wanting a cone product for slip I'd recommend tressemee shine spray it's cheap priced and a little goes a long ways. Of course if detangle your bun or braid daily with a wide tooth comb or finger comb out the tangles, spray shine spray cones on, redo your hair for the day. Then I'd add if needed if your hair is extra dry add a little mineral oil to the tassel. Is it possible to do a deep oil treatment? I mean an over night one.

pogo0685
December 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
My little boy is turning 1 year in 2 weeks, so I feel your pain with not having time. Make sure you brush your hair once a day, even if you just rebraid it after. I would also try oil on your ends. I think your problem with conditioner would be build up. I would try a swimmers shampoo to clairify and hopefully that will help. As for split ends I have them also. I trim 50 a night, it's quick and I can usually get that 5 minutes by handing my baby something that he never gets to touch.... Like his dad's hairbrush, or one of my leather hair slides. He sure is a cutie! Good luck!

sumidha
December 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Usually when I'm planning on leaving my hair in a braid for days and days I'll oil it really heavily first, and even throw extra on the braid length as needed throughout the following days. That, plus french braiding to help keep the shorter hairs at my crown from tangling is usually enough.

bunzfan
December 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I remember. That. Stage well when my youngest was that age it had to be up or he would eat it too breastfed Too bad Think I Brushed once a day and braided It to this day he still likes to grab. On to my hair strands if he can and he's Four. Now,. My mummy tip is to brush and braid or bun first thing whilst getting dressed and oil lightly before bed . Have found that really Stops the splits just recently have you tried evoo. My hair prefers it for softness.

TiaKitty
December 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Maybe he goes nuts when you comb because he thinks your comb belongs to him, since he gets to play with it sometimes? Do you have one of those soft bristled baby brushes for him? What if you give him a little brush or comb for him to play brush with while you brush your hair?

I agree, it could be you need a clarifying wash if you've got build-up from the water, or if it has just been a while since you've done one...

Wow! I like your taste in combs; that one is really nice. :D

walterSCAN
December 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM
My little boy is turning 1 year in 2 weeks, so I feel your pain with not having time. Make sure you brush your hair once a day, even if you just rebraid it after. I would also try oil on your ends. I think your problem with conditioner would be build up. I would try a swimmers shampoo to clairify and hopefully that will help. As for split ends I have them also. I trim 50 a night, it's quick and I can usually get that 5 minutes by handing my baby something that he never gets to touch.... Like his dad's hairbrush, or one of my leather hair slides. He sure is a cutie! Good luck!

It's not so much not having time as I get accosted when I try to comb it. :/ Are you thinking conditioner/ product build up or build up from the water? Since I had issues with it, I haven't really used conditioner in months (other than the SMT I mentioned)-- I've just been relying on my leave-in.

I remember. That. Stage well when my youngest was that age it had to be up or he would eat it too breastfed Too bad Think I Brushed once a day and braided It to this day he still likes to grab. On to my hair strands if he can and he's Four. Now,. My mummy tip is to brush and braid or bun first thing whilst getting dressed and oil lightly before bed . Have found that really Stops the splits just recently have you tried evoo. My hair prefers it for softness.

I tried EVOO a couple times and it was... weird for me. Felt really heavy and kinda crunchy(?) somehow. I don't like the smell very much either.

Maybe he goes nuts when you comb because he thinks your comb belongs to him, since he gets to play with it sometimes? Do you have one of those soft bristled baby brushes for him? What if you give him a little brush or comb for him to play brush with while you brush your hair?

I agree, it could be you need a clarifying wash if you've got build-up from the water, or if it has just been a while since you've done one...

Wow! I like your taste in combs; that one is really nice. :D

Yeah, I thought that might be it, so I gave him DH's brush to play with. No go. :rolleyes: I think it's more that I'm not paying as much/ the right kind of attention to him, or that he knows I can't pick him up right then, so of course he must be picked up, NOW. He does the same thing to DH when he's trying to lace and put on his boots.

I've done a clarify fairly recently, though I'm not sure if it would help to do it again or not. I feel certain we have pretty hard water. >< Yeah, I think that comb is gorgeous... really hope it's under the tree!

Since I've already got a thread going, I might as well put this here: I got someone to take a length shot for me with my braid! Turns out it's longer than I had thought.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o87/shecriesatnight/braidedlengthlines.jpg
(Sorry it's blurry, she's got kinda shaky hands and was using my crappy, ancient cell phone)

TiaKitty
December 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I see... just that stage, I guess. Don't worry... it will only last 18 to 40 more years! :rollin:

walterSCAN
December 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I see... just that stage, I guess. Don't worry... it will only last 18 to 40 more years! :rollin:

Oh, is that all??!? :justy:

pogo0685
December 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I mean from the water. We have all kinds of gunk in our water that builds up on my hair.

Vanilla
December 17th, 2013, 07:44 PM
For the hard water, you can get a shower filter at your local Lowes or Home Depot. It really made a difference in the condition of my hair when I was living in an area with hard water.

Your booger is adorable! Congrats on reaching a great hair milestone as well.

LauraLongLocks
December 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Firstly, this stage will pass with your little one, kudos to you for being in-tune with your baby's needs and being available for nursing through the night. You are an awesome mom!

As to the hair, at night, since you are having to roll over several times a night, try putting it in a sleep cap. That will keep it from so much friction through the night. For the same braid all week, my hair is shorter, so maybe I don't understand fully. Could you undo, comb, and redo the braid, or is that too cumbersome?

walterSCAN
December 20th, 2013, 06:43 AM
:bounce: Holy crap, guys, I think I've figured out the tangly-braid problem: I discovered the parandi thread!!!!!! This awesome! :bounce: I'm currently wearing my first ever crown braid with no pins/ hairties/ anything! Eeeee!! (This is what I get for taking an LHC hiatus... I missed out on at least a year of parandi-wearing.)

I mean from the water. We have all kinds of gunk in our water that builds up on my hair.

Ugh, yeah, I think this has to be part of my problem, too. :(

For the hard water, you can get a shower filter at your local Lowes or Home Depot. It really made a difference in the condition of my hair when I was living in an area with hard water.

Your booger is adorable! Congrats on reaching a great hair milestone as well.

Thank you! :D Also, he started walking this week!! I'm a proud mama.

Do you remember about how much your filter was? Was it hard to install? We have a removable showerhead-attachment-thingy (invaluable for washing the Booger), and I'm wondering if it would be compatible with that...

Firstly, this stage will pass with your little one, kudos to you for being in-tune with your baby's needs and being available for nursing through the night. You are an awesome mom!

As to the hair, at night, since you are having to roll over several times a night, try putting it in a sleep cap. That will keep it from so much friction through the night. For the same braid all week, my hair is shorter, so maybe I don't understand fully. Could you undo, comb, and redo the braid, or is that too cumbersome?

Awww, thank you. :gabigrin: I <3 being a momma.

My silky pillowcase does seem to be helping a lot with the rolling over issue-- I haven't really considered sleep caps because of Booger's vendetta against hats. If he sees you have one on, he WILL rip it off at the first opportunity. *sigh* DH has a very hard time getting ready for work now that it's cold out, heh. He'll grow out of that too, I hope.

Most of the time, yes, it does end up being too cumbersome to get it down, detangled, and rebraided unless I have someone to distract the Booger for a while (not always an option). Sometimes I have time to do it at work, but that's only 3 days/ week. My parandi + the silky pillowcase does seem to be helping quite a bit at the moment, so I guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies/ trying to help me get this figured out! You guys are awesome, and I'm never taking such a long LHC hiatus again!

TiaKitty
December 20th, 2013, 06:55 AM
If you find your paranda is drying, or if you might not be able to take it out for a few days, you can try putting some oil or conditioner on the paranda. I like to soak mine in a sink with water and conditioner and hang it to dry. Then it's imbedded with conditioner, makes my hair smell good, and keeps it moisturized!!!

walterSCAN
December 20th, 2013, 08:02 AM
If you find your paranda is drying, or if you might not be able to take it out for a few days, you can try putting some oil or conditioner on the paranda. I like to soak mine in a sink with water and conditioner and hang it to dry. Then it's imbedded with conditioner, makes my hair smell good, and keeps it moisturized!!!

I oiled the crap out of my ends before I put it in (I've never had to worry about my scalp hair getting dry, thankfully), and they seem to be alright on day 2 thus far. I'll definitely keep it in mind if it becomes a problem though.

I am SO excited about my parandi!! I'm making at least 3 more... I'm a knitter/ crocheter/ fiber addict, and now I have a great use for all the leftover bits and one-off balls of expensive yarn in my stash!

Naiadryade
December 20th, 2013, 08:08 AM
I thought I responded to this thread the other day... but that's when the stupid satellite internet crapped out, and apparently it didn't go through. :justy:

Here was basically what I meant to say:

0. He is adorable!! I especially like the 2nd pic, so much personality.

1. Heavily oil your hair before braiding. You can't tell visually if braids are oily, and it will reduce tangles. Plus then you've got a several-day oil treatment going on, which will be good for your hair! Sounds like now you've found parandi to be helping, but I still think adding oil to the mix can only improve things more.

2. For the hard water, I've heard a final ACV rinse after every shower is good to keep minerals from sticking. It's more of a maintenance thing though, not a chelating treatment. A cheap, natural way to chelate is with club soda. Sometimes I just rinse with it after shampooing, and sometimes I dilute my shampoo with it. A heavy coconut oiling 24 hours before you wash is a good thing to do along with this, as apparently the coconut oil binds to different minerals than the club soda does. Or so I remember reading on LHC a while back, and it seems to work for me! :grnbiggri

3. If you can afford it, I really suggest hiring a babysitter and/or mother's helper at some point. Of course, only you can know when your Booger will be ready for this--could be now, or it could be in 6 months. Find someone who is good with kids and who Booger will like enough to be content playing with her/him while you leave the room for a while to tend to your hair, and for that matter any other self-care you've been neglecting. At the very least! Then comes being able to leave the house... Imagine going on a date with DH again! As someone who provides childcare, I've seen how much it helps parents of babies and toddlers (which you have now--congratulations on Booger walking!!) to be able to get away for a little while. Just something to consider.

Hope that helps! Good luck!