PDA

View Full Version : The LOC/LCO method

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

lapushka
December 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
L = leave-in or liquid
O = oil
C = cream

This is a styling method for dry periods, such as wintertime.

Here's a YT video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH3T6fD1Cv4

I use 2 out of the three after my hair gets washed, and that is a leave-in and a serum/oil. I don't use cream after, but a gel. Just with the two I use it is magical for frizzy hair.

Firefox7275
December 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I understood the L stood for liquid not leave in, ie. the moisture (= water) one is aiming to seal in. I notice a lot of people on NC and Facebook hair groups using LOC but there seems to be a huge amount of variation in what the letters/ names stand for - some seem to be using occlusives (oils and butters) for all three steps which I strongly suspect misses the point of layering different ingredients. At some point there ought to be something rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) for it to be truly conditioning and balanced.

Kaelee
December 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
I understood the L stood for liquid not leave in, ie. the moisture (= water) one is aiming to seal in.<snip>

Maybe THIS is why my hair behaves, looks and feels much better when I go to bed with it wet. When I go to bed with dry hair I'm almost guaranteed a bad hair day.

meteor
December 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Yes, this method is very popular among curlies, especially in the natural hair care community, but it's overwhelming for my fine hair. I like some creams/butters, but I prefer not to layer that on top of oils, or I get waxy build-up.
I always do the first 2 steps of the LOC method though.
To be honest, I've never seen any explanation of why putting creamy/buttery product on top of oil is recommended... Why exactly is it good for hair? Maybe they just mean the "C" to work as a styling gel to tame extra-curly hair?

Aingeal
December 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Yes, this method is very popular among curlies, especially in the natural hair care community, but it's overwhelming for my fine hair. I like some creams/butters, but I prefer not to layer that on top of oils, or I get waxy build-up.
To be honest, I've never seen any explanation of why putting creamy/buttery product on top of oil is recommended... Why exactly is it good for hair? Maybe they just mean the "C" to work as a styling gel to tame extra-curly hair?

I could be wrong, but from what I understand you want the moisture, then use the oil to seal the moisture in, and then use a cream to style it. HTH

lapushka
December 17th, 2013, 12:21 PM

I also stick to the first two steps, well 3 if you substitute the cream for gel.

ErinLeigh
December 17th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I did something similar last night and my hair is silk right now.
Damp hair.
Cone free leave in conditioner
Avocado Oil

I could not go in public like this with my fine hair but it seems great for just chilling around the house to get a ton of moisture into hair

Firefox7275
December 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM

That is the thing, what some are using for the C step is not what I would describe as a cream, traditionally a cream is an oil in water or water in oil emulsion with an emulsifier - think cold cream for skin. Modern creams often contain fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants as the emulsifier, like a thick and rich conditioner.

Some doing LOC are using straight whipped shea butter which is not a cream to me, it's basically a repetition of the O step since both are occlusives/ anti humectants.

Magalo
December 17th, 2013, 01:07 PM
There's no way I'm putting so much stuff in my hair! I want my hair to feel light and soft, not caked. :/

lapushka
December 17th, 2013, 01:32 PM
There's no way I'm putting so much stuff in my hair! I want my hair to feel light and soft, not caked. :/

It doesn't actually feel caked, not to me it doesn't, and I have hair that easily gets weighed down (F).

Katrine
December 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I have never heard of this method but have been doing part of it on my own in an effort to keep my hair hydrated and help prevent tangles. I haven't come across the right balance yet, though. The info in the video does make sense but because my hair is fine I could never put that much product in it. She manages her hair very well, her curls are gorgeous.

Hootenanny
December 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I use a leave-in and then a jelly-type product (e.g. Kinky-Curly Custard, or Uncle Funky's Curly Magic, or Spiral Solutions jelly). This has been my routine since I went CG (one year anniversary last month, woot!), and it works wonderfully for me, so I'm hesitant to change things up too much, but my hair has been feeling drier with the extremely low dew points here (and the dryness of heating). I'm considering adding a very light coating of oil as a second step, to seal the moisture in. If I try it, I'll report back to this thread. :)

ErinLeigh
December 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Doesn't feel caked. Hard to explain. It just feels very very smooth and moisturized.
If you can do oils this is really no different as far a looks. Feel is about the same weight as a good oiling as well, but smoother.
I couldn't go out of the house like this, but i can't do oils in public either as i look greasy too easily.

Rio040113
December 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I've been doing this since Winter started really, I don't use a Leave In, so for me it's damp hair + 2 drops of avocado oil + 2 drops of vitamin e oil + shea butter. Leaves my hair soft, shiny, tangle free and surprisingly not weighed down or limp looking, I love it!

askan
December 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Her hair is gorgeous! My hair would probably not take anywhere near as much products, but I definitely need to protect it more if the weather gets colder. Frost temperatures makes absolute chaos with my skin, and I'd rather look a little greasy than crunchy dry..

jeanniet
December 17th, 2013, 08:18 PM
It's not caked, because you don't glob stuff on. You use the amounts that are appropriate for your hair, which could be just a dab or quite a lot. I generally use a leave in (conditioner) adnt then a bit of a curling milk or cream as a semi-sealer, but not the O part of the combo per se.

ExpectoPatronum
December 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I use this method! It works magic for my hair.

I use kinky curly knot today as a leave-in, either baby oil or something else to seal it in, but I use a gel instead of a cream to style. As long as I don't mess with my hair while it's drying, this method works very well for my hair.

lapushka
December 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM
It's not caked, because you don't glob stuff on. You use the amounts that are appropriate for your hair, which could be just a dab or quite a lot. I generally use a leave in (conditioner) adnt then a bit of a curling milk or cream as a semi-sealer, but not the O part of the combo per se.

This, exactly! ^^ You use as much or as little as you want. Leave-in for me is just three small pumps of product. Then gel is a small little glob, and then serum or oil is just a tiny bit, but it all gets spread out from ear to tip, so not just the very very ends of the hair!

sarahthegemini
December 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM
When I look on NC, a lot of people were using a leave-in condish, then an oil to seal and then a butter to seal again. I don't understand why someone would need 2 products to seal in the moisture of one product.

lapushka
December 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
When I look on NC, a lot of people were using a leave-in condish, then an oil to seal and then a butter to seal again. I don't understand why someone would need 2 products to seal in the moisture of one product.

Maybe try substituting the last cream for gel. To my understanding it is a styling cream that is comparable to gel, mainly used for styling the hair and keeping it more frizz-free.

sarahthegemini
December 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Maybe try substituting the last cream for gel. To my understanding it is a styling cream that is comparable to gel, mainly used for styling the hair and keeping it more frizz-free.

Ah that makes more sense.

Maktub
December 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Tried this today. Curls seem to like it.

Wet + leave-in condish + homemade oil mix (very little) + homemade flax seed gel + air dry. Pics is with and without flash, almost dry.

http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2013/12/18/131218072728113507.jpg

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/12/18/131218072507140331.jpg

starlamelissa
December 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't loc, but think the method is sound.

I wash, condition, leave in oil based product

Next day I spray all over with a leave in conditioner spray, aussie hair insurance, which adds moisture to my dry hair.

By the next day my scalp is talking to me, and I wash and condition again.

lapushka
December 18th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Tried this today. Curls seem to like it.

Wet + leave-in condish + homemade oil mix (very little) + homemade flax seed gel + air dry. Pics is with and without flash, almost dry.

http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2013/12/18/131218072728113507.jpg

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/12/18/131218072507140331.jpg

That is absolutely gorgeous, Maktub!
Wow, look at those nicely defined curls!!!

Wildcat Diva
December 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Maktub, wow! I was just coming in here to ask where flaxseed gel might fit into this routine, and you just answered it! I did it this way tonight on instinct before coming in here, and I've still got wet hair now. The flaxseed gel feels hard now, but I know when my hair dries, it will be so soft. Probably tomorrow. It will likely be 85 % dry when I head to bed, which works well if I can trust history to repeat itself.

Almendra
December 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Never heard about this mehod before. That girl's curls are gorgeous!
I don't think it will work for me, I can't leave oils on my hair without rinse them, because they give me greasy look :/
BTW, what kind of product is a cream? It's like a balm?

lapushka
January 13th, 2014, 03:21 AM
So has anyone else tried this method yet? I'm impatient, and dying to know. :D

Firefox7275
January 13th, 2014, 06:46 AM

If you check the ingredients of their leave in they are often using oil or butter rich products there too. Often it is misunderstanding of what the LOC method actually entails, what different ingredient families do, what moisturising (adding or increasing water) actually is.

Frequently on hair forums/ communities people mean conditioning or emollience (softness, slip, perhaps shine) when they say moisturising.

Kiwiwi
January 13th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I would add something and call it LOCS.

Liquid, oil, cream/gel, scrunch.
Especially if you're a curly.
Cos this is basicly The Curly Girl Method.
But the KEY to making it LOOK good next to having moisturized hair is scrunching the hair when it is dry, so that any hard cast is scrunched out and the hair is softer and there's more volume.

Catladyintown
January 13th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I willing to give this a try. I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer I would appreciate it . What would be a natural leave-in? And do you use LOC near your scalp or from your ears down? My hair is waist length so I am not sure if you use LOC near your ears down or near your scalp down. Thank you

Arwenlily
January 13th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Is all of this done while the hair is soaking wet, damp, or dry?

lapushka
January 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I would add something and call it LOCS.

Liquid, oil, cream/gel, scrunch.
Especially if you're a curly.
Cos this is basicly The Curly Girl Method.
But the KEY to making it LOOK good next to having moisturized hair is scrunching the hair when it is dry, so that any hard cast is scrunched out and the hair is softer and there's more volume.

All my styling products are scrunched in as well, but that's the method and application, not the products. So...

I willing to give this a try. I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer I would appreciate it . What would be a natural leave-in? And do you use LOC near your scalp or from your ears down? My hair is waist length so I am not sure if you use LOC near your ears down or near your scalp down. Thank you

From the ears down only. For me, at least. For many (heavy) curlies maybe from the scalp down.

Is all of this done while the hair is soaking wet, damp, or dry?

Damp in my case.

There's a video I've linked in the first message. Maybe that will help clarify things? :)

Catladyintown
January 13th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Thank you Lapushka. By chance do you know of a natural recipe for a leave in. I tried using search with the keywords as leave-in or leave-in conditioner, and nothing comes up.
P.S. I know the L stand for leave-in or liquid. Can the liquid be water? I use only natural products on my hair. I have plenty of oils and butters, but nothing for the first step. Thank you for the help.

lapushka
January 13th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Thank you Lapushka. By chance do you know of a natural recipe for a leave in. I tried using search with the keywords as leave-in or leave-in conditioner, and nothing comes up.
P.S. I know the L stand for leave-in or liquid. Can the liquid be water? I use only natural products on my hair. I have plenty of oils and butters, but nothing for the first step. Thank you for the help.

Yes it's either leave-in or liquid (water).

Sadly, no recipe here. Maybe some others can chime in with that. I only have coney leave-ins. Nothing natural about them. ;)

Catladyintown
January 13th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thank you Lapushka.;) Until I can find a natural recipe for a leave-in I will use plain water.

Kiwiwi
January 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM
All my styling products are scrunched in as well, but that's the method and application, not the products. So...

Oh, no, I don't mean scrunched IN (application). I mean scrunched OUT (once completely dry).

But yes, I understand what you about that being a method, not the products used.

lapushka
January 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Oh, no, I don't mean scrunched IN (application). I mean scrunched OUT (once completely dry).

But yes, I understand what you about that being a method, not the products used.

Oh ok, gotcha! :) ;)

meteor
January 14th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I would like to experiment with scrunch out the gel and the dryness. But I wonder: is it damaging to the cuticle at all, if you do this after every wash?

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Giovanni Weightless Moisture Leave In conditioner has a lot of natural ingredients but I am not sure if it is natural enough for what you need.
If you can advise what exactly you are looking for I can find some recipes that may work.

Here is giovannis list.
Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Giovanni Weightless Moisture Leave In conditioner has a lot of natural ingredients but I am not sure if it is natural enough for what you need.
If you can advise what exactly you are looking for I can find some recipes that may work. Maybe just some aloe, water, glycerin, fenugreek?

Here is giovannis list.
Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived).

or take some ingredient ideas from Fnndamental Earth conditioner and make your own. You can pick and choose from these, I guess the honey would need not be added right?
Ingredients: Purified Water, *Aloe Vera Gel, Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Lavender Oil, *Hops Extract (Humulus lupulus), Balm Mint Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Honey, * Moroccan Argan Oil, Vitamin E (Tocopherol), Olive Leaf Extract, *Chamomile Extract, *Comfrey Root Extract, Lemon Grass Oil, *Grape Seed Extract, d-Biotin.

OR use an all natural conditioning detangler instead of conditioner? there are a few on market. I would suggest Aubry Organics but I think they use fragrance. :/

Catladyintown
January 14th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Thank you ErinLeigh:D I will buy a small sample and try it out. I notice all the ingredients are fine but I might have only one problem with Giovanni Weightless Moisture Leave In it's the protein. My hair does not like protein. But what I was planning on doing with the Giovanni leave in is dilute the leave in. I also check out Aubry Organics by chance do you know of a kitchen recipe leave in that is very easy to do? Thanks again

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 10:40 PM
I don't like protein for leave ins but the Giovanni is so light and it actually helps. I think diluting a 50/50 mix with water would help you not to get too much protein but you would have to test and see how hair reacts.

I haven't found a kitchen recipe yet that uses only at home items but it could be done. I was actually looking into making my own conditioner so when I am done researching I will PM you if it turns out.

right now though i kinda do the condition and seal steps together in a way
in a mister..2oz water, quarter size amount of Giovanni, spritz of the Aubry detangler, a few drops of Grapeseed, avocado and argan oil each, an emulsifier to blend the oils with water (currently using polysorbate 80 but there are more conditioning ones that are better but i need to use this up), squirt of aloe gel, drop of glycerin, little bit of citric acid so it will last for the week.

I am saving a ton of product doing it this way and hair is coming out nicely. My hair is really fine so it helped me with the weighed down feeling I got from using everything separate. There are so many fun ways to experiment but this is my current favorite. After hair is dry I run a drop of hemp seed oil over hair since hemp is said to have natural ceramides and my hair needs those.

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 10:46 PM
maybe darcy botanicals leave in? no protein

Distilled Water (Aqua) with Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil (and) Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Leaf Extract (and) Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (and) Lavandula Angustfolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Vegetable Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower), Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, MSM, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride (cationic guar gum), paraben-free preservative and Fragrance.

lapushka
January 15th, 2014, 04:54 AM
I would like to experiment with scrunch out the gel and the dryness. But I wonder: is it damaging to the cuticle at all, if you do this after every wash?

Curlies "scrunch out the crunch" after every wash, so I doubt it's damaging at all. My hair gets scrunched with leave-in, serum, and gel after every wash, so every week, and this for... gosh, years already. Never have crunch at all, though... But the scrunching part, haven't seen damage from it yet!

Catladyintown
January 16th, 2014, 12:57 AM
ErinLeigh thanks for links.;) Looking at Darcy botanicals it has give me ideas about water and tea infusions for the L part of LOC.

lapushka
January 17th, 2014, 02:22 AM
No other fellow wavies using this method? I know some curlies are, but I also know this method isn't restricted. It can be used by people of every texture: straight, wavy, curly! Try it, you guys, it's awesome!

MultiCultiCurly
January 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I'm a curly who uses this method, especially in the cold months. However, I'm probably the only one who uses cholesterol as my cream, with coconut oil as the oil and water as the leave in. I balance the cholesterol with protein, so it seems fine :shrug:, but the heavy stuff is good for my hair to weigh it down (need that), keep my curls clumped, and my ends sealed. I just can't seem to find anyone else really who leaves cholesterol in their hair--oddly enough, doesn't cause my hair to have any more of a producty feel than when I use any other "actual styler".

Weewah
March 12th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'll do this after my next wash, I'll call it the LOG method!(leave in oil gel). Right now I've just been doing leave-in and gel, but I've got a bunch of argan oil I can use.

I'm on the hunt for a styling gel(or lightweight cream?) that will allow me to run my fingers through my hair after I SOTC, does such a thing exist? I don't like having my hair all glued together with product.

lapushka
March 13th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I'm on the hunt for a styling gel(or lightweight cream?) that will allow me to run my fingers through my hair after I SOTC, does such a thing exist? I don't like having my hair all glued together with product.

I have Eco Styler gel (the olive oil version). It's got a pretty strong hold, like "mega", but we don't use that much (a very flat 2 eurocoin worth for hair from ear to hip - scrunched in). It's not that I can run my fingers through my waves after though.

Hairitic
March 14th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I did something similar last night and my hair is silk right now.
Damp hair.
Cone free leave in conditioner
Avocado Oil

I could not go in public like this with my fine hair but it seems great for just chilling around the house to get a ton of moisture into hair

my routine is similar. After cleansing and herbal tea/ACV rinse, I follow up with a Cone-free Leave-In conditioner, then oil the length with Argan Oil. Even with my fine hair, I still have a nice wave on the bottom.

meteor
March 14th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Hmm, it looks like different people have different ideas of what LOC method really means. Some use gels, some don't. Some reverse the order of LOC.
I just saw a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD4wsDrrN5c), where the girl with awesome long hair just oils and uses a creamy leave-in conditioner after a wash (her "liquid" stage), and calls it LOC, too. If that counts, many of us probably use some variation on the theme.

Weewah
March 18th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I'm still tinkering with this method, and I'm wondering which lightweight oils you guys have found to be the best at preventing frizz when used in this method?

Aingeal
March 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I use argan oil and macadamia oil.

Rio040113
March 19th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I'm still tinkering with this method, and I'm wondering which lightweight oils you guys have found to be the best at preventing frizz when used in this method?

For me, avocado oil :)

lapushka
March 19th, 2014, 08:27 AM

Mineral oil (just a few drops though, for hair from ear down to hip). I find it is about the same as my lightweight serum from IC Fantasia (those are just *lovely*).

CremeTron
March 30th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Tried this for two days and the cream will not absorb in under 3 hours over the oil and water or leave-in. So I will leave the cream out and just use water or leave-in with oil on top. Maybe some gel over that.

Weewah
March 30th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Tried this for two days and the cream will not absorb in under 3 hours over the oil and water or leave-in.

I kinda flipped the method around and have been doing cream first with a sealer on top of that because I think the cream absorbs better that way. I started leaving out oil because all my products pretty much have oil in them anyways and my fine strands can get weighed down easily. I don't think I can call what I've been doing the loc method anymore. :x

Also thanks everyone for the oil recommendations :)

CremeTron
March 31st, 2014, 05:01 AM
I stand corrected! Today I woke up with lovely soft hair! Except on my ends which are bleached and they were dry feeling and looked very frizzy.

However this will not work for me if it takes all day and sleeping on it before it looks and feels semi right.

Weewah, I actually tweaked it today like yourself and used cream first and like yours it absorbed much better! Hair feels and looks nice if a little greasy so am further tweaking and am going to leave the cream out unless maybe occasionally on dry hair but my hair is rarely completely dry and I wash and air dry it daily. Instead I will just put oil on wet hair and then a little bit of gel.

When I have a long run of days off or quiet weekends when I don't wash my hair I will certainly do it as a sort of treatment as my hair was so soft and nice looking.

lapushka
March 31st, 2014, 06:31 AM
The key for me, is not using too much product. Use tiny, tiny amounts, really, I'm telling you! Use far less than you think you need for all products used in this method. Unless you're very curly, then you need the extra oil/moisture in the stylers.

CremeTron
March 31st, 2014, 11:09 AM
I may have been overzealous. I used a huge amount of product. I will try again on Wednesday with smaller amounts of cream and oil

mrs_coffee
March 31st, 2014, 01:49 PM
I do this, I just didn't know it had a name.

lapushka
March 31st, 2014, 03:15 PM
I do this, I just didn't know it had a name.

Did this too, as part of the curly girl routine, didn't know it had a separate following either. :D

Wosie
April 10th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Can I use my favourite conditioner as a leave in or do I have to buy something specifically made to be a leave in conditioner? ...+ coconut oil + aloe vera gel when trying out this method? I'll test it after my WCC in two days when I wash my hair next. :D

torrilin
April 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Wosie, a lot of conditioners work fine as leave in conditioners. Not all... If you already use a conditioner you know you like as a leave in, or you know you're ok with experimenting, go for it. If you're the sort of person who prefers tried and true, do that.

Wosie
April 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM
torrilin} I have honestly never used a leave in conditioner before in my life. :o I really like how my favourite conditioner feels like when my hair's covered in it and sopping wet before I rinse it out, so I thought that it might work as a leave in... On the other hand, it might feel totally different once it's dry in my hair.
Nothing too bad could happen if my conditioner didn't work out as a leave in, could it?

BonnieU
April 22nd, 2014, 07:36 AM
I'm so glad I found this thread! I've been fighting the "halo" and maybe this is the answer. I'll have to post some after pics upon my next wash :D

ErinLeigh
April 22nd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I guess I do it backwards most times.
This method is a bit heavy..II do it when hanging around at home to get moisture to hold in hair.
Liquid (water from damp hair)
Creme (creamy leave in conditioner)
Oil

Other times it is done
Liquid (spray liquid conditioner)
Oil
Creme (panacea, but this is done after drying so may not count)

I think there is a lot of debate for what products count as the L and C. I still don't know if mine are correct.

lapushka
April 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
I think there is a lot of debate for what products count as the L and C. I still don't know if mine are correct.

It is whatever you want it to be, at least that's my take on it. Personally, I use a leave-in on damp (towel dry) hair, then a serum (sometimes an oil), then a gel instead of a styling cream. So it's not that strict either.

Aingeal
April 22nd, 2014, 06:36 PM
I use leave in, oil or serum, cream, and sometimes will add a touch of watered down gel to help with hold.

TrapperCreekD
April 22nd, 2014, 08:32 PM
I've tweaked my routine again and I'm sort of doing this method.

On towel-dried hair:
dab of cone-free conditioner
Fox's conditioning cream (butter? oil? cream???)
Flax Seed Gel

I've only done this a couple times so far but my hair seems more moisturized. Combed out braidwaves actually look nice enough to wear down, not quick-hide-that-frizz-in-an-updo bad, and my weird frizz section seems to have disappeared. :cheese:

lapushka
April 23rd, 2014, 10:21 AM
Awesome, TrapperCreekD!

eva888
May 11th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I used this method today! I left my ACV rinse in (L) and then used Argan Oil (O) and then unrefined shea butter (C). My waves were soft and frizz free which was great, but my hair has too much oil in it and it's very stringy. It might be that my coconut oil pre-poo was too heavy. Or my new shampoo bar isn't getting all the oil out.... or it could be any of the other steps! :hmm:

This seems like a great method, but I need to keep tweaking it a little bit until I get it right :)

lapushka
May 11th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I used this method today! I left my ACV rinse in (L) and then used Argan Oil (O) and then unrefined shea butter (C). My waves were soft and frizz free which was great, but my hair has too much oil in it and it's very stringy. It might be that my coconut oil pre-poo was too heavy. Or my new shampoo bar isn't getting all the oil out.... or it could be any of the other steps! :hmm:

This seems like a great method, but I need to keep tweaking it a little bit until I get it right :)

Personally, I wouldn't leave an ACV rinse in for the first step, but maybe that's just me...

Hope you get it tweaked. :flower:

curlsgalore
May 11th, 2014, 01:23 PM
This works for me all year 'round. I usually use a leave-in or my regular conditioner, seal with oil (sometimes a butter), and then top with a gel. I want to try this with a cream but haven't found one yet that I think would work. I pretty much use the same products all year long. Since our dews are usually 40 and under on average, they pretty much work all the time. I was using a thicker/richer/heavier leave-in In the winter and a lighter/medium one in the summer but I find that either works all the time, so that makes me happy. Sealing with oil/butter definitely makes a huge difference for me.

eva888
May 11th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Personally, I wouldn't leave an ACV rinse in for the first step, but maybe that's just me...

Hope you get it tweaked. :flower:

Thanks for the help! I will try not leaving the ACV rinse on next time, and see what happens :)

browneyedsusan
May 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I haven't read all the posts, but just gave this a try--sort of.
I scrunched in AVG at the end, because that's all I had for a "gel or cream", and left out the oil. (I just read that I could have used my regular conditioner as a leave in? Too late now!) Will stay away from the comb and brush until next wash.
What sort of products are you all using? Is anyone else a "bargain basement" fan? (I'm a Suave or VO5 girl. The cheaper and dirtier, the better!)

meteor
May 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM

My guess would be that you used too much argan oil + shea butter after your wash. It's technically oil + oil (rather than oil + cream) as shea butter is pure triglycerides unlike a standard cream, which would be lighter as it involves "oil-in-water" emulsion. Have you used unrefined shea butter on hair before? It can be pretty heavy and applying it mixed with another oil (argan can definitely work) may bring better results.

ErinLeigh
May 12th, 2014, 02:43 AM
I am about to try it this way
Liquid (water)
Oil (argan, avocado, olive or coconut)
Creme (Alba creamy leave in conditioner)
Dab of Panacea once dry

On days I use jojoba as my oil I will do old routine but...

I am really curious how hair will look and feel trying the oil under the conditioner.

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2014, 08:14 AM
A wavy girl's day three pick me up:

Mini LOC styling:
A few pumps of water in mister bottle
Spread on two drops olive oil
Administer a smear of Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie spread on palms

Upside down head, and scrunch scrunch scrunch

lapushka
May 12th, 2014, 08:51 AM
A wavy girl's day three pick me up:

Mini LOC styling:
A few pumps of water in mister bottle
Spread on two drops olive oil
Administer a smear of Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie spread on palms

Upside down head, and scrunch scrunch scrunch

That's good to know! :D :thumbsup:

Personally, my waves are left alone for the entire week after LOC, until the next wash, but this might be very useful for some other wavies or curlies out there who do refresh their waves, and wurls!

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I did it just for fun, then bunned it up. It might be nice to increase moisture in between washings. Sometimes my ends feel really dry as the week progresses.

I remember reading that many of the super-duper longhairs have an affinity with damp bunning. Not sure if that might be a good long term strategy or not.

Weewah
May 13th, 2014, 01:44 PM
I've been leaving oil out of my routine for a while, but then I started getting cursed with wiry halo frizz at the top of my head... so I started smearing a drop of Argan oil on the top half of my hair where frizz happens, before applying gel, and it did the trick. So I guess you could say I am back to doing the LOC method now!

Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today. Light and slippery, I love it!
Oil: Argan
Cream: actually, gel. Kinky Curly Curling Custard is my favorite so far(and it works well with my leave in!)

I keep moisture in my hair by making sure I don't rinse out my moisturizing rinse-out conditioner too thoroughly after squeezing it in. When I try to use a moisturizing/thick leave-in or styling cream, my hair just gets weighed down and gunky.

two_wheels
May 26th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Hello! I decided to try LOC after the multitexture thread made me think about accepting my waves rather than damp-bunning them semi-straight every day and ending up with a flyaway canopy...

I did it on dripping wet hair, upside down scrunching through small sections. Washed with regular SLS shampoo (Pantene ice shine) and cone-free conditioner (Superdrug coconut & almond intensive), then a small blob of Tresemme Naturals conditioner as a leave in, a fingertip of Nightblooming Freya (Winter) for the oil bit, and a small blob of Kinky Curly custard for the gel bit.

That is all of the products I own apart from coconut oil, so I was pretty worried about weighing my hair down, but I shouldn't have worried, it bounced up into waves straightaway and stayed there.

Waited 3.5h for it to dry and it did clump pretty well, but in very small sections. It was kind of crunchy so I scrunched that out when dry. It was almost wearable, but I wasn't happy because where I had flipped my head back up after scrunching, I had a big part at the back and it had gone all fuzzy and bushy there. The sides looked quite nice though! I ended up fingercombing and bunning it because the back was really not ok. The best bit is that the coarse and fine hairs seemed to behave the same- the fact that they usually don't is why I damp bun normally.

So a semi success, and I'll try again next time I wash. I really am quite impressed by the LOC thing- was expecting greasies/weighed down but no, it feels soft and nice and smooth and very voluminous. I'd like it to dry in slightly larger/less stringy clumps but I think that's just my hair type. I think I can get it more regular, though. The flipping did seem to help the waves to form higher up, though, so not sure how to keep that without getting a parting at the back?

lapushka
May 26th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I have no idea how you got that "part" at the back. The LOC method is done in the same way here (upside down scrunching) and there's no bushy parts in my case. Might be something you need to practice a bit, maybe? Maybe turn your head in really far (really curl it up onto your chest), so you can reach underneath the back better (how can I explain this right)?

Great that you're trying it next time!

two_wheels
May 26th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your continued help lapushka! I think the part happened because my hair tipped forward from the sides as I leant down. I guess I need to lean my head more forward like you say, so it doesn't part at the back. I suspected it might dry weirdly but decided to wing it this time. Hooray for having enough length to put it up and pretend that the experiment never happened :)

I still can't believe it doesn't feel producty- I tried oil shampoo once and that was a complete disaster so have been nervous about trying any other methods where product gets left in hair. It's really soft & the halo reduction is good even after fingercombing.

Will update with pics when I get to something presentable!

ExpectoPatronum
May 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I've been following the LOC routine for quite some time and I still love it. Only, in the summer I change it to just LO because I don't really wear my hair down in it's natural state. It doesn't make sense for me to style it as wavy if I'm just going to throw it up in a braid.

Also,to save money, I've been squeezing some of my leave in conditioner into a spray bottle then adding water and using it that way and so far, it's been working really nice. I've noticed that using it that way has also helped bring out my waves. It'll be interesting to see how it works in the winter. Again, I also like that it makes my bottle of Kinky Curly Knot today last even longer.

eadwine
May 26th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Ahh.. gotta try that still, the upside down scrunching. Good for body movement as well *giggles*

lapushka
May 26th, 2014, 02:27 PM
You're welcome two_wheels! I hope you succeed next time, even though you could call this one a success also. At least you know the method works and is solid. :D

Fericera
June 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I have completely fallen in love with this method. I tried it yesterday and my ends feel so soft! I live in a year round dry climate so this is going to be incredibly helpful.

Crumpet
June 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I'm surprised I never posted on this thread. Oops!

I essentially follow this method for my wavy hair. I use Giovanni direct leave-in followed by argan oil. I don't really use styling gels. Instead, I'll use AVG or coconut oil later on. I really do think this method works well for fine hair and its helped my dry ends where my layers are.

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised I never posted on this thread. Oops!

I essentially follow this method for my wavy hair. I use Giovanni direct leave-in followed by argan oil. I don't really use styling gels. Instead, I'll use AVG or coconut oil later on. I really do think this method works well for fine hair and its helped my dry ends where my layers are.

I have F hair as well. As long as I use minimal product, I'm fine, and my hair is not weighed down (even if it's conditioned twice prior to this method). :D

Crumpet
June 5th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I have F hair as well. As long as I use minimal product, I'm fine, and my hair is not weighed down (even if it's conditioned twice prior to this method). :D

Actually, it looks like we have similar hair types, although yours is much thicker. No wonder why we both like it!

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Actually, it looks like we have similar hair types, although yours is much thicker. No wonder why we both like it!

:D It is nice, isn't it? I actually love the way it makes my hair feel, all soft to the very tippy tips. And best of all: no tangles!

FallingDarkness
June 5th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Soo I'm considering this method. And I'm wondering if you guys think it'll work for me, how much leave in/oil/cream do you guys use, what brands and what oils have you guys invested in, etc. Thanks! :P

lapushka
June 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Soo I'm considering this method. And I'm wondering if you guys think it'll work for me, how much leave in/oil/cream do you guys use, what brands and what oils have you guys invested in, etc. Thanks! :P

I use about a (flat) 2 eurocoin worth of each, no more (for hip+ length hair, 2 inches from TBL).

For leave-in, I have got2b smooth operator (silicones).
For serum (sometimes 2 drops of mineral oil instead), I have IC Fantasia serums.
For gel, I have EcoStyler (the one with olive oil).

Start with tiny amounts, then build your way up. It's easier that way. If you're not sure about the method, start with a leave-in alone first, then try and add on next washes.

twiglet
June 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
This is the latest addition to my hair care routine and I *love* it :heartbeat

I've been doing LCO (rather than LOC) using a spray leave-in followed by my conditioner (Giovanni Smooth as Silk :heartbeat:) then sealed with some coconut oil. My hair has been divine on my non-wash days since starting this method and it has enabled me to stretch washes!

Larki
June 6th, 2014, 11:08 AM
What's the difference between leave-in conditioner and "cream"? I'm almost positive that cream isn't necessary for me, leave-in+oil works perfectly fine, but I'm curious.

lapushka
June 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM
What's the difference between leave-in conditioner and "cream"? I'm almost positive that cream isn't necessary for me, leave-in+oil works perfectly fine, but I'm curious.

They aren't comparable. Styling cream is in place of a gel, so not of a leave-in.

Larki
June 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Oh, so then it's completely unnecessary for me then. My hair doesn't need any styling products. Thanks!

FallingDarkness
June 6th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Ooh okay, great thanks. :D

IAgal
June 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I'll do this after my next wash, I'll call it the LOG method!(leave in oil gel). Right now I've just been doing leave-in and gel, but I've got a bunch of argan oil I can use.

try tresemme extra hold gel. it doesn't leave hair crunchy or product-y(can't stand that)..you can run your hands through your hair just fine...it has a water soluable cone and some emolliants I think -which probably help not make it crunchy or all glued together. I highly recommend it!

pixldust
June 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Dumb question alert (and apologies if it's been asked already): with the C part, is this purely for styling, i.e if you're planning on wearing your hair down? Would there be any point in using cream if you were going to put it in a bun as soon as it's dry? Or does it add another layer of moisture too?

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Dumb question alert (and apologies if it's been asked already): with the C part, is this purely for styling, i.e if you're planning on wearing your hair down? Would there be any point in using cream if you were going to put it in a bun as soon as it's dry? Or does it add another layer of moisture too?

C = cream, aka styling cream. Some use a gel, so yes this is part of the styling - but so is all the rest.

I use the LOC method, and my hair is up in a half-up as soon as it's dry. The next morning it goes up, and it is up 6,5 days out of 7!

Wildcat Diva
June 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I have been dialing in my routine, trying to get a better result. I think that the flaxseed gel is the real winner for me at the end. Pity it's such trouble to have to make it up each week.

I think it adds some kind of oil or moisture. My ends look happier with it. When up or down.

ErinLeigh
June 7th, 2014, 04:12 PM

It is for moisture but the final step can be pulling double duty for styling A lot of people I have read about or watched videos on use buttery cremes (shea butter blends) or creamy leave in conditioners.
If L is water
If O is oil to seal the water
C could be be a creamy leave in conditioner or butter based one. This would be the final step to loc in that moisture.

A lot of times I reverse and do LCO and use the oil on top. I once asked someone here why they used the oil before Creme and they said it kept their hair from looking greasy. I find it works both ways.

lapushka
June 7th, 2014, 04:23 PM
A lot of times I reverse and do LCO and use the oil on top. I once asked someone here why they used the oil before Creme and they said it kept their hair from looking greasy. I find it works both ways.

My gel (or the C in LOC) is always added before last. My serum (or the O in LOC) goes over it all lastly. It's a bit odd, maybe, but it does the trick!

pixldust
June 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Thanks Lapushka and ErinLeigh! This seems such a good routine and I'm going to try it at next wash. My hair is a thirsty beast and loves all things moisture so hopefully this'll make it happy!

lapushka
June 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks Lapushka and ErinLeigh! This seems such a good routine and I'm going to try it at next wash. My hair is a thirsty beast and loves all things moisture so hopefully this'll make it happy!

I hope it works, but if it doesn't, hey at least you tried and it's something to take off the list of things to try in that case. :D

ErinLeigh
June 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I hope it works, but if it doesn't, hey at least you tried and it's something to take off the list of things to try in that case. :D

Thats how I see it too. Always worth a try. I give experiments a go and I feel happy they work, but if it doesn't I don't force it. I simply add on to my list of what doesn't work for me and move on with no guilt.

I will say this though... LOC has so many variances this one can take a little more trial and error to find your perfect routine. This is one of the few experiments I stuck out longer than usual to tweak and play around with. The concept struck me as something that made sense, but it took several attempts to parlay that into positive effect. I had quite a few greasy/bad hair days in the beginning trying to figure out what products and what amounts. I tried several leave ins, oils, butters, cremes, and finishers in different amounts before finding my LOC (or LCO) routine. Was worth it in the end but I do admit this one can take some time to get just right.

Pixiedust I wish you the best in finding a way you enjoy. If its moisture retention you are after this one can be golden!

It gets confusing though. L can be leave in, liquid, water. O can be oil, silicone, mineral oil. C can be gel, shea butter, pomade, styling Creme, creamy conditioner, whipped concoctions etc etc. There are so many ways to play around with this. My head was spinning at first trying them all :)

pixldust
June 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Thats how I see it too. Always worth a try. I give experiments a go and I feel happy they work, but if it doesn't I don't force it. I simply add on to my list of what doesn't work for me and move on with no guilt.

I will say this though... LOC has so many variances this one can take a little more trial and error to find your perfect routine. This is one of the few experiments I stuck out longer than usual to tweak and play around with. The concept struck me as something that made sense, but it took several attempts to parlay that into positive effect. I had quite a few greasy/bad hair days in the beginning trying to figure out what products and what amounts. I tried several leave ins, oils, butters, cremes, and finishers in different amounts before finding my LOC routine. Was worth it in the end but I do admit this one can take some time to get just right.

I think the variances mean that anyone could customise this routine to suit their particular hairtype, even though it may require some experimentation first. It's kind of exciting too, figuring out a new routine :D

Brattina88
June 8th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I think I've finally got a routine for myself now :) I've been experimenting with different combos of this method and today has been ah-mazing :D for me, less is more and it works really well!

L - just a smidge of my own watered down conditioner as a leave in
O - coconut oil
C - the smalles amount of tresemme gel

lapushka
June 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I think I've finally got a routine for myself now :) I've been experimenting with different combos of this method and today has been ah-mazing :D for me, less is more and it works really well!

L - just a smidge of my own watered down conditioner as a leave in
O - coconut oil
C - the smalles amount of tresemme gel

Less is definitely more. I can't stress that enough. The amounts of each that we use are teeny tiny!

TrapperCreekD
June 8th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Out of curiosity, would you consider Fox's Shea conditioning creme a sealer (being 3/5 oil) or a styler?

KittyBird
June 9th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I've been skeptical about trying this method, because putting oil on wet hair has always been a greasy-looking disaster for me in the past, but I decided to try it after my last wash on Friday. I put my own twist on it, as I've seen many others do too. I CWC'ed as usual, gently squeezed out most of the water, put on coney leave-in conditioner, wrapped it in a towel while I dried myself off and got dressed, then unwrapped and added oil+cream. I used a small amount of Nightblooming's Freya salve and 3 drops of Anointing Oil (I remembered Lapushka stressing that using small amounts worked for best her), and I figured that mixing them together would make application easier.

The result was pretty darn amazing. My hair was very soft when it dried, and it was even softer and silkier when I took it down in the evening after wearing damp braided buns to work. I usually have to put on a bit of panacea every day or every other day, but not this time. My hair has been soft and perfect from roots to tips all weekend, and detangling has never been so easy. The texture reminded me of a soft, little kitten. :kitten: Did I mention that my hair was soft?? I'm so used to dry, unruly hair that has to be panacea'ed into submission every day! :lol:
I'm still stunned by how effective this method was. I'll use it again tomorrow, and I hope it wasn't just a fluke.

lapushka
June 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Out of curiosity, would you consider Fox's Shea conditioning creme a sealer (being 3/5 oil) or a styler?

I wouldn't know, TBH. Maybe it doubles as both, meaning you would only need to use one product for both uses.

lapushka
June 9th, 2014, 05:08 PM
I've been skeptical about trying this method, because putting oil on wet hair has always been a greasy-looking disaster for me in the past, but I decided to try it after my last wash on Friday. I put my own twist on it, as I've seen many others do too. I CWC'ed as usual, gently squeezed out most of the water, put on coney leave-in conditioner, wrapped it in a towel while I dried myself off and got dressed, then unwrapped and added oil+cream. I used a small amount of Nightblooming's Freya salve and 3 drops of Anointing Oil (I remembered Lapushka stressing that using small amounts worked for best her), and I figured that mixing them together would make application easier.

Yes, less is more! So, so true, and can't stress it enough. Glad it worked out for you, KittyBird! I hope you continue to have success with it!!!

ErinLeigh
June 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Yea Kittybird. Hope its not a fluke. I imagine it wont be though :)
I use Alba leave in conditioner, jojoba oil and Panacea (any of the 3) as my 3 products so I totally get what you mean about the kitten soft hair. It makes you unable to stop petting it.
I bet your hair looked gorgeous!

slynr
June 9th, 2014, 05:24 PM
This method has been the answer to getting my previously highlighted ends to look good and blend in with the rest of my hair. Before my ends were very dry and tangle prone. Thanks Lapuska for recommending it!

lapushka
June 9th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks Lapuska for recommending it!

Glad I kept "promoting" it, and didn't give up on it, 'cause at first it wasn't popular (to say the least). :lol:

Come on, you guys, everybody try, I promise you it's worth it ;) :D, and even if it doesn't work out in the end, at least you gave it a try. :shrug:

slynr
June 9th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I think the reason I hesitated at first is because I thought it would be too much for my fine hair. Your right though the key is the right product and for me just a wee amount.

KittyBird
June 10th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Thank you, Lapushka and ErinLeigh! I forgot to mention that it was incredibly shiny too, even in the shade. :D Today was wash day and I tried it again, and it seems like it wasn't just a fluke last time. I didn't have time to dry it completely because I'm going out soon, so I detangled and bunned while it was still slightly damp. It's very soft again, and it took about 5 minutes to detangle all of my hair with my TT. Detangling after washing usually takes between 10-30 minutes, so that's a really big difference. I'm so happy! :cheer:

I'm really glad you kept promoting the LOC method, Lapushka, or else I probably would never had tried it. :blossom:

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 06:15 AM
KittyBird the softness is lovely isn't it? And very unexpected. I agree it's good that Lapushka​ stuck to her guns in promoting it.

I'm trying just the L-O part today, because for some reason it takes many more hours to dry when I use gel (I have Kinky Curly gel and don't like owning multiple types of the same product, so I will use it up before trying another one.) Anyone else get that? And does it depend on what gel you use?

Crumpet
June 10th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Kittybird -- congratulations! I'm so glad it worked well for you!

lapushka
June 10th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Ooh, it wasn't a fluke, yay!!! And you've tried it as well, in the mean time, two_wheels? Awesome!

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Hmm... not totally dry yet, but it looks like I definitely need the gel! Frizztacular. Will see if I can get a pic when it's actually dry. I might actually use the blog facility on here to record my experiments.

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Ok, so it dried. First 2 pics are unmanipulated, third is after a little scrunching to make it less crunchy/stringy.

In the last half hour of drying most of the frizz went away, weird! But I think I overdid it on the panacea, used about half a tsp and it looks a bit gross at the front. Oh well, I am putting it up anyway! And it is loads better than if I just shampoo and condition.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140610_combine_zps19b3e416.png

lapushka
June 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Ok, so it dried. First 2 pics are unmanipulated, third is after a little scrunching to make it less crunchy/stringy.

In the last half hour of drying most of the frizz went away, weird! But I think I overdid it on the panacea, used about half a tsp and it looks a bit gross at the front. Oh well, I am putting it up anyway! And it is loads better than if I just shampoo and condition.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140610_combine_zps19b3e416.png

Half a teaspoon is a lot for your length (I'd use it from hip to ear). I would take a finger (or your pinky) and dip it in to extract that much only.

Your hair looks pretty, though! :)

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Yep, I have learnt my lesson! I was conservative about leave in for exactly the reason you describe- the amounts you listed are for hip-length iii hair. But I accidentally scooped too much panacea and just decided to roll with it today. I hope the pics help others to learn from my error too!

Oh well, I figure it can't hurt to try all the possible variations; my hair likes oil and I'm not working at the moment, so it's not going to do any damage to have the odd oilslick oopsie :D

Leeloo
June 10th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Thank you Lapushka for starting this thread! I've heard about loc method before but always assumed that it was for curly hair only :doh: but after reading this thread I thought I should try it. I use my regular cone free conditioner as a leave in and seal it with coconut and some other oil mix I had left over. I've got to say, it's a lot less frizzy, it's softer and lot easier to brush! :joy: the easier to brush part is awesome because I'm still learning how to brush without ripping through the hair.

I just looked up the products I'm using: leave in - dermorganic masque hair repair, oil - giovanni ultra sleek hair and body super position

arr
June 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Hello, i have a question about this method. First, this is what i do: after washing, i apply a small glob of generic Matrix biolage conditioning balm mixed with a few drops coconut/olive oil. Once that is worked in, i comb my hair out and finish with one drop mineral oil to seal everything in. From what ive read, i believe im mostly doing the LOC method, except im mixing the first two steps. Is that ok or would it be better to separate them? I guess i like to save time.

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 09:22 AM
You don't have to brush, Leeloo, you could come over to the daaaark side of non-brushers :twisted:

actually I do brush at night sometimes

PiXiEmandy
June 10th, 2014, 10:01 AM
how do you not brush????

Leeloo
June 10th, 2014, 10:02 AM
You don't have to brush, Leeloo, you could come over to the daaaark side of non-brushers :twisted:

actually I do brush at night sometimes

I thought about not brushing (hahaha :grin: :luke: the dark side) but I get a lot of 90 degree bend hairs if I don't brush (it's a type of a split hair, right? You know the ones that look like they were ironed bend at the end). Maybe if I strengthen the ends out by hand when doing the up dos I can avoid the splits and join the dark side :demon:

two_wheels
June 10th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Hehehehe sounds like a plan!

PiXiEmandy plenty of wavies/curlies don't brush. Brushing breaks up waves/curls and makes them fluffy. Personally I detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb, then comb it with my fingers the rest of the time. I wear it up every day so I don't get tangles.

eadwine
June 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I don't brush.. I don't even comb. ;) Fingers is all hee hee.

I am so happy to see this working for so many, it wasn't for me unfortunately (but then my hair takes after me anyway, and I'm weird hehe), but I am really glad to see others benefit :D

Drosmand7
June 10th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I love Giovanni and coconut oil and it works with my 1c/2a hair. Really makes all the difference when you use the right products with the right methods.

ErinLeigh
June 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Hello, i have a question about this method. First, this is what i do: after washing, i apply a small glob of generic Matrix biolage conditioning balm mixed with a few drops coconut/olive oil. Once that is worked in, i comb my hair out and finish with one drop mineral oil to seal everything in. From what ive read, i believe im mostly doing the LOC method, except im mixing the first two steps. Is that ok or would it be better to separate them? I guess i like to save time.

I mix my steps sometimes. I haven't noticed a difference on moisture loss so I assume its just fine. I think it's whatever works for you.
The way to be sure if it is working at best potential is do it a week one way, then the next try it separate. You will know pretty quickly if results are same or different and then you can choose.

Bitstuff
June 11th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I am super excited about trying this tonight. I'll do a WCC first, to keep with best practice ;) and then I think I'll use the Tresemme Naturals, or whatever it is called now, conditioner as a leave-in conditioner, wrap my hair in a towel while it's still warm because my hair is not very porous. Then apply Aussie Dual Personality curl serum and maybe a tiny, imperceptible amount of argan oil because anything above that amount makes my hair stringy. I'll see about gel afterwards. I have a Naked Style Divine Curls serum that is really more like hair gel than anything else but I've hardly used it because it's not spectacular for me on its own.

lapushka
June 11th, 2014, 09:57 AM

I think it's OK to do if your hair thinks it's okay to do. :D Whatever works. Whether it be a styling cream, a sealing oil or a gel. It's all good.

ErinLeigh
June 11th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I thought about not brushing (hahaha :grin: :luke: the dark side) but I get a lot of 90 degree bend hairs if I don't brush (it's a type of a split hair, right? You know the ones that look like they were ironed bend at the end). Maybe if I strengthen the ends out by hand when doing the up dos I can avoid the splits and join the dark side :demon:

LOC should eventually help with the 90 degree bends. My hair used to do those when it lacked moisture or was protein heavy. As you start retaining moisture thru LOC the bends hopefully will start to fall naturally.

allycat
June 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Oh wow, I'm so grateful to lapushka for starting this thread! And also to ErinLeigh for recommending Alba leave-in conditioner.

I've had a pretty good routine for years now, but I came here via the thread "Ineffective ways to moisturize hair" and found that this method has really taken it up a notch. My perpetually dry ends are so much silkier now. Thanks a million!

lapushka
June 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Oh wow, I'm so grateful to lapushka for starting this thread! And also to ErinLeigh for recommending Alba leave-in conditioner.

I've had a pretty good routine for years now, but I came here via the thread "Ineffective ways to moisturize hair" and found that this method has really taken it up a notch. My perpetually dry ends are so much silkier now. Thanks a million!

You're welcome. I'm so glad your hair benefits from this method!!!

ravenheather
June 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I tried camellia oil with panacea over it, and I really like it. I am going to try out some leave in conditioners too. Hair is very soft.

Vanilla
June 11th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Tonight's wash day and I'm trying this method.

L: water (damp hair from the shower)
O: mineral oil (a few drops)
C: panacea (a fingernail's worth)

I am praying I am not a stringy greaseball by morning. I'm working from home tomorrow, so it shouldn't matter even if I am.

Vivalagina
June 11th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Loving this method. Works great with CO or WCC. I am using Alba leave in conditioner then Freya then coconut oil. My hair has been super dry since moving to Utah but it's finally starting to feel better.

TrapperCreekD
June 11th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Did a mini modified LOC yesterday - skipped the gel because it was going in a braid anyway - on the last bottom few inches of length that was feeling thirsty, and when I took down to braid for bed, holy shiny, soft, super silky, practically zero frizz braidwaves. :joy:

The biggest surprise came in the morning when I woke up and realized my hair was loose and everywhere because the hairtie fell off during the night! :agape:

ErinLeigh
June 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I posted these in other thread but decided to move them here since it was LOC related.

I am proud of what LOC method can do. I wish I could explain the difference in moisture retention. My hair used to be so incredibly dry. It would lose moisture instantly, it was stringy yet frizzy and not soft. Had a dull appearance and tangled quite easily. I remember someone who saw the first photo in real life telling me my hair looked very dry and I was embarrassed by the comment.
Hair is styled same way (blow dry) in both pics.. Only difference is one is pre-LOC and one is after learning the method. I swear I can see my hair crying for moisture in the first. The after finally looks and feels like normal hair should.

before DRY
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/41d96fa0-c6e5-44e9-ab47-f5536f1a02cb_zps2366e15e.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/41d96fa0-c6e5-44e9-ab47-f5536f1a02cb_zps2366e15e.jpg.html)

after LOC
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/4e4881f6-088b-48d4-a920-1f038a0cb702_zps14ea41e8.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/4e4881f6-088b-48d4-a920-1f038a0cb702_zps14ea41e8.jpg.html)

Bitstuff
June 12th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Oh noes, I used too much of something. Must have been the Naked Style curl gel/serum. I have lots of taper and the ends got overloaded; it's bun day today.

This is maybe a really dumb question, but how do you spread a small amount of product evenly in damp hair? How long is it supposed to take?

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 07:35 AM
This is maybe a really dumb question, but how do you spread a small amount of product evenly in damp hair? How long is it supposed to take?

You take it in the palm of your hand, and then rub your palms together, smearing the little bit of product over both palms. Then you scrunch it in, only scrunching! Then rub the remainder on the very tips. The scrunching together with the dampness of your hair should make it blend in smoothly!

You will barely get the feeling that there's product in there, but trust me... it's in there. Don't add to it!

Bitstuff
June 12th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks a mill!

ErinLeigh
June 12th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Yes. That's what I do. Add product in palm, rub palms together warm, scrunch product in, then Use praying hands down the ends to tips
I use less than dime size of leave in, one drop of jojoba and a pinky scrape ostera salve.
If you emulsify into palms first it spreads easy and evenly and will cover all the hair well.

Leeloo
June 12th, 2014, 08:43 AM
LOC should eventually help with the 90 degree bends. My hair used to do those when it lacked moisture or was protein heavy. As you start retaining moisture thru LOC the bends hopefully will start to fall naturally.

I didn't even think about the loc method helping with splits :bigeyes::doh: I'm even more excited about this method now :joy:

MissHoney
June 12th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Is this method useful to someone who does not shampoo but conditioner washes frequently? Or will it cause too much buildup?

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Is this method useful to someone who does not shampoo but conditioner washes frequently? Or will it cause too much buildup?

I have no idea, as I don't use CO as a method myself (doesn't work on me). You can only try, right? What's the harm in trying? Hope you do try and report your findings. :)

I do have to say that LOC is actually part of the curly girl routine, so it deals with CO. It should be all right for it!

Brattina88
June 12th, 2014, 02:37 PM
^ I think it depends on your hair. You could always try it, and tweak it to fit your needs ;)
For me, that would be too much. But my hair will get greasy looking if I CO only for more than one "wash day"

I have to say, I feel like the 'LOC method' is saving my hair right now. My swimming cap for the pool has been a total fail - either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't fit right. But my hair is still nice and shiny and healthy looking - not dry and frizzy mess. THANK GOODNESS! :)

arelrios
June 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Subscribing to this thread... i would like to find the right way to style my hair so it looks shiny and soft.

This is what I use:

CO: VO5 kiwi lime
LI: Suave Coconut Conditioner
O: Africa's best herbal oil
G: testing at the moment LA Looks (blue one) and AVG...

I still haven't found the right combination/quantity ratio but will continue experimenting :)

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM
G: testing at the moment LA Looks (blue one) and AVG...

I still haven't found the right combination/quantity ratio but will continue experimenting :)

I find that LA Looks can get a bit crunchy and stiff if applied too much - it gets that rather quickly, so less is definitely more, especially with that gel. Eco Styler is much better for my hair (I have the one with olive oil).

arelrios
June 12th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I find that LA Looks can get a bit crunchy and stiff if applied too much - it gets that rather quickly, so less is definitely more, especially with that gel. Eco Styler is much better for my hair (I have the one with olive oil).

Thanks! I will try it... i love that is super cheap... :D

Clytemnestra
June 12th, 2014, 05:25 PM
I picked up the Just For Me Hair Milk to use as a leave-in before my Camellia oil, and so far so good. It's actually targeted for curly children, and it's got honey, shea butter, and soymilk for the moisture. I was a little worried about the protein but I just use a dab and my hair seems softer, and definitely tames the frizz. It's also got cones, but since I am no-cone on my two CO's, I like a little cones as leave-in so I cut down on fairy knots. It was a good price and smells nice too.

Kelikea
June 12th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Sorry if I missed it (this thread is pretty long) but does anyone use Dr. Bronner's hair creme as part of LOC? I tried VO5 coconut mixed with water (L), jojoba or Africa's best (O) and then a bit of the Dr. B's (C) but was wondering if it could multitask? I like the idea of gel or mousse, but the "hold" seems to =matting on the underside of my hair. I also tried Samy Get Curls (L) and Big Curls (C?). Has anyone tried those? I wasn't sure which product to use in which order, lol. My hair is Classic length, 2b/2c, and ii thickness (around 4" circumference).

lapushka
June 12th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Sorry if I missed it (this thread is pretty long) but does anyone use Dr. Bronner's hair creme as part of LOC? I tried VO5 coconut mixed with water (L), jojoba or Africa's best (O) and then a bit of the Dr. B's (C) but was wondering if it could multitask? I like the idea of gel or mousse, but the "hold" seems to =matting on the underside of my hair. I also tried Samy Get Curls (L) and Big Curls (C?). Has anyone tried those? I wasn't sure which product to use in which order, lol. My hair is Classic length, 2b/2c, and ii thickness (around 4" circumference).

Have you tried a gel (just a *tiny* bit) to seal instead of a cream? That might help.

Vanilla
June 12th, 2014, 07:10 PM
My hair feels awesome today since it dried. Not greasy or stringy at all, and it feels softer from root to tip. I would love if it reduced my split ends. I can't wait to find out!

I might be making LOC a permanent part of my routine! I have so many different combinations of leave in/liquid, oil and creams to try.

rags
June 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I just tried the first two steps today - coney leave in and argan oil. I'm actually too terrified to out a cream or gel over it! And the only one I own would be Panacea, does that count? I would count it more as an oil I think........

I'm more of a 1c these days; do I even need the cream? My hair is super baby fine and thin. It takes very little to weigh it down.

Larki
June 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM
I just tried the first two steps today - coney leave in and argan oil. I'm actually too terrified to out a cream or gel over it! And the only one I own would be Panacea, does that count? I would count it more as an oil I think........

I'm more of a 1c these days; do I even need the cream? My hair is super baby fine and thin. It takes very little to weigh it down.
We have similar hair types and I certainly don't need the cream! LO works perfectly fine for me. :)

Nadine <3
June 12th, 2014, 07:55 PM
We have similar hair types and I certainly don't need the cream! LO works perfectly fine for me. :)

Same. I don't bother with any styling products anymore since my hair eventually just does what it wants anyways lol I spray in my leave in condish and seal with either coconut or olive oil. Works well for me!

Kelikea
June 12th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Have you tried a gel (just a *tiny* bit) to seal instead of a cream? That might help.

Do you think the gel might work over the Dr. B cream?
And, just to clarify, this is for wearing hair down, right?

roseomalley
June 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I use a product called Rosalie's Wonder Spray from the Indulgent Apothecary on Etsy. The ingredients are: distilled water, aloe vera juice, sweet almond oil, essential orange oil and essential geranium rose oil. Would this be considered a leave in or just an oil? So confused.

ravenheather
June 12th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I would think that would function as a leave in.

roseomalley
June 12th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Thank you, Ravenheather!

roseomalley
June 12th, 2014, 09:49 PM
My hair is baby fine. Here is my routine

I shampoo, and then condition just the ends every second day.

L Rosalie's Wonder Spray. ( I posted the ingredients three posts up.)

O a tiny, tiny drop of Camellia oil on the length.

C. Panacea, once again, the tiniest amount on the length.

I have not tried gel. My hair is pretty straight.

KittyBird
June 12th, 2014, 10:08 PM

I use Panacea as my cream, and I mix the panacea and oil before applying. It works well for me. :)

lapushka
June 13th, 2014, 05:12 AM

You could try a pea size of it maybe, next time. Just spread over the palms evenly then apply. Butters/creams count as sealants, IMO.

Do you think the gel might work over the Dr. B cream?
And, just to clarify, this is for wearing hair down, right?

I'd do one or the other. But that's just me.
Personally, I wear my hair half up, half down on wash day (and the ends feel great that day), but as of the next day, it's up until next wash. The ends continue to feel good, but I just prefer my hair up and out of the way.

I use a product called Rosalie's Wonder Spray from the Indulgent Apothecary on Etsy. The ingredients are: distilled water, aloe vera juice, sweet almond oil, essential orange oil and essential geranium rose oil. Would this be considered a leave in or just an oil? So confused.

I'd say leave-in / liquid as well.

I use Panacea as my cream, and I mix the panacea and oil before applying. It works well for me. :)

Butters or creams can be quite the same, except butters may be quite a bit richer (too rich?) for sealing. It really depends on the person.

Marika
June 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I've always used more than just one leave-in conditioner but I consider panacea as both O and C. First I use a leave-in conditioner (Alba Botanica/Redken Anti-Snap/Desert Essence Coconut Hair Lotion) and then just a little bit of panacea when my hair is almost dry. Although I might try mixing oil with panacea...(thank you KittyBird for an idea :flower:)

two_wheels
June 13th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Latest LOC update & I'm happy! This time I used a bit of coconut oil instead of Panacea, but usual Tresemme Naturals leave-in and Kinky Curly gel (I only wanted to change one thing). And in the correct (small) quantities this time.

Even after dry scrunching I have loose curls at the front and waves in the back and no frizz, woohoo! So I think this routine's a keeper.
Pre-scrunch // post scrunch front // post scrunch back
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/20140613_zpse7ef24ce.jpg

lapushka
June 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Woohoo, I'm glad it went well, two_wheels! Looks great!

rags
June 13th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks all! I may try Kittybird's idea of mixing just a drop or two of oil in with the panacea and see how that goes. Mine is actually a bit "clumpy" today, which I dislike. I know that is the goal for most, but my hair is so fine and thin that when it clumps I end up with strings of wurls - and spaces between. :rolleyes: NOT pretty. On the plus side, it was nice to see my waves again - I'm not a 1c after all, if handled correctly. Back to a 2a/2b. I prefer it combed out though, and my waves comb out quite easily, so that I end up looking 1c or so.

Nadine <3
June 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Why I eve stopped using this method I'll never know. My hair is AMMMMAZING today. I washed last night, used my leave in and sealed with olive oil. Let it dry, then up into a sock bun it went for bed. Today my hair is soft, shiny and full with pretty soft curls. Love it.

ravenheather
June 13th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Ok I am a convert to this method. My hair feels lovely. My waves are defined and not frizzy. I love my hair again. I used all products that I had and have used before. I also tried using just oil and panacea on wet hair first. That was good but not as spectacular as with leave in first. My products are toadstool leave in, camellia oil, and panacea. When I am wearing my hair down I will experiment with flaxseed instead of panacea. I think using a tiny amount is key for fine thin hair. There is something about the layering that makes all the products work better. If you haven't tried it with all three, give it a go. I never thought I could use 3 leave in products on my hair, but I can. Thank you lapushka.

slynr
June 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Glad to hear it worked for you Ravenheather! I love it too!

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but if you guys use regular conditioner, do you also do a leave in conditioner after that? For those who use ACV to close their cuticles and restore ph balance after washing, how do you incorporate ACV into this?

I've tried this with monumental success: shampoo on scalp with conditioner on ends, warm rinse, conditioner again, warm rinse, ACV, rinse w/ ice cold water, squeeze all water out several times, light toweling, light oil scrunching to seal in moisture, then followed by a light final spritz of ACV for extra cuticle shutting. My hair never felt so amazing on the ends.

Final dumb question: for those of you who have no hair styling creams or gels because they don't use styling products, what then?

ravenheather
June 13th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but if you guys use regular conditioner, do you also do a leave in conditioner after that? For those who use ACV to close their cuticles and restore ph balance after washing, how do you incorporate ACV into this?

I've tried this with monumental success: shampoo on scalp with conditioner on ends, warm rinse, conditioner again, warm rinse, ACV, rinse w/ ice cold water, squeeze all water out several times, light toweling, light oil scrunching to seal in moisture, then followed by a light final spritz of ACV for extra cuticle shutting. My hair never felt so amazing on the ends.

Final dumb question: for those of you who have no hair styling creams or gels because they don't use styling products, what then?

I used acv after my wash with african black soap, then a rinse out conditioner, then used the leave in after shower, followed by oil and cream.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I sometimes wash with african black soap too! :)

lapushka
June 13th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Ok I am a convert to this method. My hair feels lovely. My waves are defined and not frizzy. I love my hair again. I used all products that I had and have used before. I also tried using just oil and panacea on wet hair first. That was good but not as spectacular as with leave in first. My products are toadstool leave in, camellia oil, and panacea. When I am wearing my hair down I will experiment with flaxseed instead of panacea. I think using a tiny amount is key for fine thin hair. There is something about the layering that makes all the products work better. If you haven't tried it with all three, give it a go. I never thought I could use 3 leave in products on my hair, but I can. Thank you lapushka.

You're welcome!!!

My hair gets washed, then conditioned (rinse out) twice, then there's the LOC method, so again: leave-in, serum, gel. So yes, actually it gets conditioned 3 times.

And to answer your final question. You can easily leave out the gel or styling cream. It's not a must. You can just as easily seal by using a butter or two drops of mineral oil.

roseomalley
June 13th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Is the gel mostly used by folks with curls or waves? My hair is pretty straight, and I do not think gel and scrunching would do much, though I would like to try. I would have to buy a light gel first for my fine/thin hair.

two_wheels
June 13th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Is the gel mostly used by folks with curls or waves? My hair is pretty straight, and I do not think gel and scrunching would do much, though I would like to try. I would have to buy a light gel first for my fine/thin hair.

The gel really helps cut down the frizz in my barely-wavy hair- I miss it when I don't use it.

roseomalley
June 13th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks, two_wheels. I will have to find a light gel.

Arwenlily
June 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM
So I am trying out this method but I think I might need a little bit of help. After my shampoo, I do an acv rinse, apply a little leave in conditioner, comb my hair, scrunch, and then add an olive/coconut oil mixture, no cream. In my opinion, I use a very tiny amount of each but maybe this is not true? Anyway, my hair seemed to be the curliest when I let my hair dry without anything in it, followed by olive oil when dry. After using L= leave in, O= olive/coconut oil, my hair is less frizzy at first and curly, but less curly than when I put nothing in it. However, my hair feels very soft which is lovely. But after a few hours of my hair feeling pretty good, it gets puffy :( Also, my hair feels pretty stretchy, like more than usual. Why is this? When I apply only oil without the leave in this doesn't happen.

Totty
June 14th, 2014, 04:14 AM
My hair doesn't like gel and absolutely hates scrunching.
It behaves itself much more when I use a homemade cream from shea butter, olive oil and jojoba oil.

ravenheather
June 14th, 2014, 05:31 AM
My hair doesn't like gel and absolutely hates scrunching.
It behaves itself much more when I use a homemade cream from shea butter, olive oil and jojoba oil.

You don't have to use gel. Original method calls for cream or a hair butter. Also you don't have to scrunch to apply.

ErinLeigh
June 14th, 2014, 05:42 AM
yea. this thread is finally getting lots of action :)

I use panacea for my creme. All of my products are questionable or multi-taskers in a way but it still works.
Alba leave in is my leave in (but can be a creme)
Jojoba is my oil
Panacea is my creme (could be an oil)

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 07:05 AM

I'd go without the gel, if your hair is straight. Try a sealing oil (a few drops of mineral oil) or a cream/butter instead. Tiiiny amounts, remember!

So I am trying out this method but I think I might need a little bit of help. After my shampoo, I do an acv rinse, apply a little leave in conditioner, comb my hair, scrunch, and then add an olive/coconut oil mixture, no cream. In my opinion, I use a very tiny amount of each but maybe this is not true? Anyway, my hair seemed to be the curliest when I let my hair dry without anything in it, followed by olive oil when dry. After using L= leave in, O= olive/coconut oil, my hair is less frizzy at first and curly, but less curly than when I put nothing in it. However, my hair feels very soft which is lovely. But after a few hours of my hair feeling pretty good, it gets puffy :( Also, my hair feels pretty stretchy, like more than usual. Why is this? When I apply only oil without the leave in this doesn't happen.

Maybe try the classic method without the ACV in between (those rinses are generally only *really* necessary if you wash with shampoo bars). That's what I would do, IMMHO.

meteor
June 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Hard to tell without knowing what's in your leave-in. Maybe replace this leave-in or skip the leave-in or use it differently? For example, you could use it diluted with water in a refresher mist or as a light rinse-out conditioner?
Stretchy ends often result from tipping the moisture-protein balance too much to the moisture side. Might be "overconditioning" with that leave-in.

rags
June 14th, 2014, 08:11 AM
What are people using for leave-ins? I have Redken Anti-Snap - but I generally only use it every two to three washes. The others I hadn't been using a leave-in.

My second day hair (I used the Redken leave-in and two drops of Argan oil, no butter), my hair is just the same as normal - no added moisture retention. The FIRST day, however, it was too product-heavy. Hmmm. Maybe I need to add a butter (Panacea? It's all I have, and I don't need a gel.)

Larki
June 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM
I'm using my watermelon leave-in from Etsy.

Brattina88
June 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I'm using my watermelon leave-in from Etsy.
Is this the one I've seen linked here before? I really want to try this! :)

Totty
June 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
You don't have to use gel. Original method calls for cream or a hair butter. Also you don't have to scrunch to apply.

I gave it up already using gel...

This was taken a few months ago, my hair loves a bit of rain.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/tottyspics/Hair%202013/DSC_4396.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/tottyspics/media/Hair%202013/DSC_4396.jpg.html)

This was taken today, but hubby said it looks better irl. I think darn postpartum hair
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/tottyspics/hair%202014/DSC_5293.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/tottyspics/media/hair%202014/DSC_5293.jpg.html)

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 10:34 AM
What are people using for leave-ins? I have Redken Anti-Snap - but I generally only use it every two to three washes. The others I hadn't been using a leave-in.

My second day hair (I used the Redken leave-in and two drops of Argan oil, no butter), my hair is just the same as normal - no added moisture retention. The FIRST day, however, it was too product-heavy. Hmmm. Maybe I need to add a butter (Panacea? It's all I have, and I don't need a gel.)

I only use the LOC method on wash days, never for second or third... day hair. It's washed, LOC'd and left alone. I have the got2b smooth operator as my leave in.

Larki
June 14th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Is this the one I've seen linked here before? I really want to try this! :)

Probably, if I linked to it! I love it! It's not too heavy for my hair (3 pumps is perfect, maybe like a dime-sized amount) and it's the only leave-in I've used that doesn't make my hair feel waxy!

rags
June 14th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Ah, I wasn't clear! I meant that I used those products on wash day, and now on the second day, I can see no difference from layering the oil to when I just use leave-in or just use oil. No added moisture retention or detangling help after second day. So perhaps I need to add a cream.............

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Ah, I wasn't clear! I meant that I used those products on wash day, and now on the second day, I can see no difference from layering the oil to when I just use leave-in or just use oil. No added moisture retention or detangling help after second day. So perhaps I need to add a cream.............

Maybe... You can't but try. I hope it works!

allycat
June 14th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I'm using Alba Botanica as my leave-in. Followed by camellia oil. I was stopping there, since I don't usually style my hair, and just doing the LO part has been great for me. But today I experimented and ended with Phyto 7 cream, and it very nice. Perhaps even a bit more silky.

This method is fantastic for me.

roseomalley
June 14th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I spritz Rosalie's Wonder Spray from Indulgent Apothecary on Etsy for my leave in. It is basically distilled water with some great oils added. Very light for my fine hair. I am going to make up my own version after this bottle is gone.
Today, I rinsed out the white vinegar rinse after, pouring it over my hair. I think I prefer it rinsed out.
I have decided not to gel my straight, fine hair. Sometimes, less is more for my baby hair. I wear it up all the time anyway.

KittyBird
June 14th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I'm popping in with more praise of this method! ;) My hair is normally a beast that manages to make crazy tangles even when it's bunned. I've had to brush at least once a day to keep it under control, or deal with a very long detangling session on wash day. I've been working a lot lately and I've been very tired, so I hadn't detangled my hair for the last 2-3 days. I took it down to brush it before washing, and there were hardly any tangles at all! My nape hair almost always tangle a bit, but that was pretty much it. :cool:

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I'm popping in with more praise of this method! ;) My hair is normally a beast that manages to make crazy tangles even when it's bunned. I've had to brush at least once a day to keep it under control, or deal with a very long detangling session on wash day. I've been working a lot lately and I've been very tired, so I hadn't detangled my hair for the last 2-3 days. I took it down to brush it before washing, and there were hardly any tangles at all! My nape hair almost always tangle a bit, but that was pretty much it. :cool:

Glad you had that experience!!!

That's what's amazing for me as well. My hair is brushed once a week, right before a wash, combed with a wide tooth comb, then brushed with a Tangle Teezer. No tangles - at all. Comb & brush just slide through. I think it's the conditioning twice and LOC method that add to the luxury of zero tangles. I *love* it!

Vanilla
June 14th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I used the LOC method today with the same ingredients (water, 2 drops mineral oil, tiny bit of panacea), and I ended up a bit stringy, but definitely very soft and tangle free.

I put my hair in a braid, hopefully all of the good stuff will absorb into my hair.

lapushka
June 14th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I used the LOC method today with the same ingredients (water, 2 drops mineral oil, tiny bit of panacea), and I ended up a bit stringy, but definitely very soft and tangle free.

I put my hair in a braid, hopefully all of the good stuff will absorb into my hair.

There's plenty of room for you to tweak the method to your liking. It's a bit difficult experimenting with it, I know, but it will be rewarding in the end, I'm sure. :)

Nadine <3
June 14th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Tried out this method for the 2nd time today with "okay" results. The last wash my hair was light, soft, shiny, with no tangles. This time my hair seemed weighted down and stringy. I put it in a braid for now, but I think this method has promise so I'm going to keep at it.

browneyedsusan
June 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I used water--after a shower--, finger combed in a dime-sized blob of cheap Suave conditioner, put in my top-knot and slept with it damp.
Boy! The ends are nice today!

Who knew?

Vanilla
June 15th, 2014, 07:37 PM
There's plenty of room for you to tweak the method to your liking. It's a bit difficult experimenting with it, I know, but it will be rewarding in the end, I'm sure. :)

Thanks! I am going to have to try this again after my next wash. I had to wash again after yesterday; the oil hasn't absorbed and I was sweating inside my motorcycle helmet a bit today. I did a light protein treatment and didn't use any leave in, as my hair was really greasy. I don't think I've found the perfect LOC combo for my hair yet.

Andeee
June 16th, 2014, 12:29 AM
So, with the LOC method, would it work to use a bit of leave-in (I sometimes just use regular conditioner as a leave-in) conditioner on damp ends and then coconut oil? I ask only because I thought coconut oil was best on dry hair...

ErinLeigh
June 16th, 2014, 01:51 AM
I don't know if its right or wrong as far as what is best for coconut oil application...but if I use on damp/wet hair when I LOC and it makes my hair end up soft and moisturized..
When I prepoo on dry hair I do not get that same lovely effect ( i get other effects, but not that moisture locked shine applying on damp gives if that makes sense)

I have a leave in conditioner that is heavy on the coconut oil also (2nd ingredient) and that one too makes hair feel great. I think coconut works well on damp hair personally.

Bitstuff
June 16th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Why is it necessary to rinse with vinegar after using shampoo bars, and is it necessary to do it even when using conditioner afterwards? I've ordered a few bars from Anita Grant to try out instead of liquid shampoo. I could mix some pure lactic acid into the last round of conditioner, I suppose. ACV isn't easy to find here. Would that work as well?

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 05:12 AM
So, with the LOC method, would it work to use a bit of leave-in (I sometimes just use regular conditioner as a leave-in) conditioner on damp ends and then coconut oil? I ask only because I thought coconut oil was best on dry hair...

Why not. You'll just do LO, and forego the C (cream/gel) part.

Why is it necessary to rinse with vinegar after using shampoo bars, and is it necessary to do it even when using conditioner afterwards? I've ordered a few bars from Anita Grant to try out instead of liquid shampoo. I could mix some pure lactic acid into the last round of conditioner, I suppose. ACV isn't easy to find here. Would that work as well?

Because bars are alkaline, and need something acidic to balance the pH again. With shampoo this isn't necessary, although some still do it because they claim/think it provides shine to the hair.

Andeee
June 16th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Why not. You'll just do LO, and forego the C (cream/gel) part.

Because bars are alkaline, and need something acidic to balance the pH again. With shampoo this isn't necessary, although some still do it because they claim/think it provides shine to the hair.

I don't know if its right or wrong as far as what is best for coconut oil application...but if I use on damp/wet hair when I LOC and it makes my hair end up soft and moisturized..
When I prepoo on dry hair I do not get that same lovely effect ( i get other effects, but not that moisture locked shine applying on damp gives if that makes sense)

I have a leave in conditioner that is heavy on the coconut oil also (2nd ingredient) and that one too makes hair feel great. I think coconut works well on damp hair personally.
Thanks ladies, I will give it a try!

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Hm, Going to try using coconut oil instead of olive at my next wash...Maybe that won't weigh my hair down as much as olive seems to be...

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Hm, Going to try using coconut oil instead of olive at my next wash...Maybe that won't weigh my hair down as much as olive seems to be...

How much of it are you using? You really need the tiniest amount!

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 03:57 PM
How much of it are you using? You really need the tiniest amount!

A pea sized amount, possibly smaller. Maybe I should go even smaller, since I have very fine, thin hair... I'll try a bit of coconut next time and it's it still ends up stringy I'll just work on using less. I don't mind experimenting with it, it's kinda fun! Plus stringy hair makes very pretty braids :)

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 04:28 PM
A pea sized amount, possibly smaller. Maybe I should go even smaller, since I have very fine, thin hair... I'll try a bit of coconut next time and it's it still ends up stringy I'll just work on using less. I don't mind experimenting with it, it's kinda fun! Plus stringy hair makes very pretty braids :)

Well, that's not a lot... Hope the coconut oil is lighter for you! Olive oil can be a bit much. Maybe even measure it out with a dropper (pipette) next time. I know I only need 2 drops of mineral oil for hip+ length hair, so...

Larki
June 16th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Jojoba is a very light oil as well! I don't like to use oil much, but when I do it's either jojoba or argan, and they're both very light.

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I just took an empty eye drop container and mixed olive/coconut half and half. I'm not ready to give up on olive just yet because I love what it does for my hair when I get the right amount. Now I have a hopefully lighter mixture that I can drop out in tiny amounts! :)

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I just took an empty eye drop container and mixed olive/coconut half and half. I'm not ready to give up on olive just yet because I love what it does for my hair when I get the right amount. Now I have a hopefully lighter mixture that I can drop out in tiny amounts! :)

I'm eager to see what that does! :) Hope it works out!

Arwenlily
June 16th, 2014, 06:25 PM
lapushka I'm going to try this soon but I just love my acv rinses. I have hard water and I used acv in hopes of counteracting mineral deposits. Also, the acv makes my hair tangle free and smooth without having to use conditioner which is great for me because my hair is easily over-conditioned.
meteor I just started using Shea Moisture restorative conditioner because it is protein-free and I thought the ingredients sounded heavenly. Also, I love the smell! The first time I used it my hair was wonderful. Here are the ingredients:

Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii ( Shea Butter)*, Argan Oil, Coconut Oil*, Behentrimonium Chloride, Essential Oil Blend, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5) Avocado Oil, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica ( Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil

I'm wondering if I should try their Curl and Shine conditioner instead ... but it has protein and my hair is not fond of protein. Here are the ingredients for that conditioner:

Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut ) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Sorbitol Esters, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter*, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive ) Fuit Oil*, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Proprietary Essential Oil Blend, Silk Protein, Aloe Barbedenis Leaf Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Caprylyl Glycol *Certified Organic Ingredients

lapushka
June 16th, 2014, 06:31 PM
lapushka I'm going to try this soon but I just love my acv rinses. I have hard water and I used acv in hopes of counteracting mineral deposits. Also, the acv makes my hair tangle free and smooth without having to use conditioner which is great for me because my hair is easily over-conditioned.

I certainly didn't want to imply that ACV is a bad thing, just that it's not really necessary if you're not using a shampoo bar (and if you're just using regular conditioner). :)

Bitstuff
June 17th, 2014, 03:00 AM
I checked the water hardness in the area where I live and it is apparently between 6.5-9.5, which is not exactly useful but the water in my house is definitely not soft so I'll be buying a bottle of vinegar :)

ErinLeigh
June 17th, 2014, 03:50 AM

Olive makes my hair stringy too, no matter how little I use. Jojoba works well on me though in same amount (1-2 drops.) I love playing around with oils too. :)

ErinLeigh
June 17th, 2014, 03:53 AM

omg I do that too, I have one that is olive/coconut and one avocado/coconut.
I run the bottle under hot water sometimes to apply it warmer and it just melts into hair. Its such a great combo. I think you will really like it :)

Nadine <3
June 17th, 2014, 12:07 PM
YES! I seem to have hit the nail on the head! Last night I washed and applied my olive/coconut mixture over the top of my leave in and WOW. Even though it was humid last night it dried silky and smooth and SOOOO soft, and no tangles at all. I put it up in a sock bun for bed, woke up this morning, took it down and found the prettiest curls, shiny, soft, no flyaways...even though it's 90% humidity today! My hair NEVER behaves when it's humid. I usually have a frizzy tangly awful mess that can only be contained in a braid...and even then, not a pretty one. So happy with this! Hopefully it's consistent. I have issues with things working once and then never again lol

meteor
June 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Those are great results, Nadine <3! :) And don't be afraid to keep tweaking the mix depending on how your hair feels that day and also on humidity.
I'm not surprised that it worked so well in high humidity: the LOC method was developed in the tightly curly community, where fighting frizz in humidity is quite a battle, so LOC is an occlusive method, designed primarily to "LOC"k in and seal moisture till your next wash day.

lapushka
June 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
That's really nice to hear, Nadine! :) Hopefully it isn't just a fluke!

TrapperCreekD
June 17th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Congrats on the success, Nadine! :applause

Mini LOC-ing the bottom several inches on day 3 three seems to be working wonderfully, with really nice braidwaves as a bonus. :D

Kitten1030
June 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I have to tell you, I've had really good luck with this method so far. I really only LO I think. I use a leave in and then a little Panacea (oil?cream?IDK:shrug:) my hair has not been this happy in a long time! But like Nadine, sometimes things seem to work for a little while and my hair rebels. Kind of like when you pet a cat's belly,cat purrs all happy and sh&# then all the sudden tries to bite and tear the flesh off your arm. Yes, my hair is like a psycho kitty!:kitten::crazyq:

Wildcat Diva
June 17th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Great analogy!

Nadine <3
June 18th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I have to tell you, I've had really good luck with this method so far. I really only LO I think. I use a leave in and then a little Panacea (oil?cream?IDK:shrug:) my hair has not been this happy in a long time! But like Nadine, sometimes things seem to work for a little while and my hair rebels. Kind of like when you pet a cat's belly,cat purrs all happy and sh&# then all the sudden tries to bite and tear the flesh off your arm. Yes, my hair is like a psycho kitty!:kitten::crazyq:

Love that analogy! It's so true!

Just washed and used my oil mix for the 2nd time. Hope the results are good!

ErinLeigh
June 18th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Jojoba is a very light oil as well! I don't like to use oil much, but when I do it's either jojoba or argan, and they're both very light.

As much as I love all oils I have found jojoba to be best for me when using LOC.
Its so light and really seals. Great for tangles also. I really enjoy it also. :)
I struggle more to make argan work as its a bit heavier on me when combining with the other products. How much do you use and at what step?

ErinLeigh
June 18th, 2014, 01:24 PM

As much as I love all oils I have found jojoba to be best for me when using LOC.
Its so light and really seals. Great for tangles also. I really enjoy it also. :)
I struggle more to make argan work as its a bit heavier on me when combining with the other products. How much do you use and at what step?

Nadine can't wait to hear how it goes. :)

rags
June 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
All right, this last wash did much better for me when I switched up my leave-in (except that I had some WAVES even after combing! :bigeyes: ). I switched out my Redken Anti-snap, as my hair only likes it occasionally due to all the protein, and used Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in. I had purchased it on a recommendation for a rinse-out conditioner and HATED it - but I love it as a leave in! And then I used two drops of argan oil. Today is day three and tangles are greatly diminished!

Larki
June 18th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Hm, well my bottle has a pump, so it's difficult to measure the exact quantity, but if I had to guess, I'd say maybe 3-4 drops? And I use it after using my leave-in, when my hair is partially dry. The oil is the final step.

rags
June 19th, 2014, 03:48 AM
Hmm, Ihave the same baby fine hair as you two and I prefer argan. Jojoba just sits on top ; no matter how little I use my hair looks oily!

Bitstuff
June 19th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Second time still not lucky :D. I used SoftSheen's Curl Activator as moisturiser but I had no idea how much to use because I just received it. Now I know I need to use less :P. Aside from overloaded ends, my hair is very happy. I have the much-recommended Panacea trio in the mail so that will be my sealer once it arrives. So excite :D

two_wheels
June 19th, 2014, 04:23 AM
It took me a while too, bitstuff. Seems like every wash I use less product and get better results. I tried not doing it as well, and got floofy hair, so the tiny tiny amounts are doing something!

I like that I can comb the products through if I want straight hair, or scrunch if I want waves. 2a hair is annoying in many ways but good for that!

XcaliburGirl
June 19th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I am tempted to try this, but I don't know if I have the requisite products handy. I have coconut oil, olive oil, regular conditioner, "wet look" gel, mousse, spray wax, and another wax goo product. (some are my husband's) I also have some body butter with shea butter and coconut oil, but I don't know if the ingredients are appropriate for hair.

two_wheels
June 19th, 2014, 05:08 AM
XcaliburGirl, you could try it with regular conditioner for L, any oil for O, and gel for C?

lapushka
June 19th, 2014, 07:02 AM
XcaliburGirl, you could try it with regular conditioner for L, any oil for O, and gel for C?

Yep, my thoughts as well. Why not try it? Can't hurt, right? (is what I keep saying :lol:)

Atira
June 19th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I tried this for the first time today. L: Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave In, O: some random argon oil I've had forever, and the C: Deva Curl Styling Creame. I finger combed and then plopped in a t-shirt. We'll see what happens when the tshirt comes off.

Sparklylady82
June 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/haleyemily06/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/DACAB2D7-BB79-4FC8-A095-66927F452CA9_zpsscb4lndn.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/haleyemily06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06/DACAB2D7-BB79-4FC8-A095-66927F452CA9_zpsscb4lndn.jpg.html)

These are my results after trying the LOC method! I'm super happy with the shine an reduced amount of frizz. I also did a pre-shampoo oiling the night before (coconut oil). I did the WCC method but used a deep conditioning treatment for 30 minutes for my second conditioner. I used a leave in followed by coconut oil (very small amount) then deva gel.

Sparklylady82
June 19th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Oh I also used a microfiber towel to scrunch a little then deva fuser along with air drying.

lapushka
June 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
It looks absolutely lovely, Sparklylady82!

two_wheels
June 19th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Gorgeous waves Sparklylady82! :crush:

Sparklylady82
June 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Thankyou!!!

ErinLeigh
June 19th, 2014, 10:10 PM
enviable wurls, waves, curls or whatever they are called. I am bad at hairtyping but it looks fantastic. Love it