PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels dry after using my normal leave in

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM
My hair feels dry after using my normal leave in conditioner. It's not the entire head just the ends. I read other post that suggested checking for splits I found none. When I used my olive oil sheen spray my hair soaked it up so I did it a few more times. When I say I used oil sheen spray a few times I used it on my ends and it was used very moderately and I used the flats of my hand to rub it in. My hair was fine after I did this but today when I did my normal routine my hair was rough after my normal vo5 keep me strong leave in. I don't think I need to clarify due to it being only my ends. I noticed when it tangles I can finger comb them out easily. It's not a bad tangle issue. Could it be from a lack of something? My sheen spray has olive oil in it. My sheen spray is isoplus brand. I use a satin pillow case too and I wear it in a low pony to sleep in held by a satin scrunchi.

Firefox7275
December 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Clarify and chelate, it's quite possible for build up to be concentrated on the ends.

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Where do you live? It could be the weather. check what the dew point is, under 30 will make your hair dry and if there are humectants in whatever you use, instead of your hair taking moisture from the air, the air will take moisture from your hair.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Clarify and chelate, it's quite possible for build up to be concentrated on the ends.

I will clarify my hair thanks.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Where do you live? It could be the weather. check what the dew point is, under 30 will make your hair dry and if there are humectants in whatever you use, instead of your hair taking moisture from the air, the air will take moisture from your hair.

I have no idea what the dew point is in my area. My products don't say that they're humectants.

Firefox7275
December 17th, 2013, 10:40 AM
The free Curls on the Go app tells you dew points if you have a smartphone. Humectants are water attracting ingredients like honey, glycerin, propylene glycol, aloe vera and hydrolysed proteins.

meteor
December 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I strongly suspect winter weather as a culprit, too.
I've stopped using all leave-ins recently for this reason, but I use tons of rinse-out conditioner and oils afterwards as they seem to help seal in moisture better in winter than standard leave-in products. Pretty much all leave-ins I've tried (except oil-based stuff) had some humectant action, which is super drying at low dew points.

ositarosita
December 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Completely agree ... when I need to chelate or clarify the only place I feel it is on my ends because they start to feel dry get a lil Velcroy but I can finger comb them out

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
The ends will show most what the whole hair is doing, because they are in old age.
I've switched up my routine to be full of oils rather than humectants because the dew point is just so low at the moment where I live and likely to stay that way all winter.
I'm using coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter cocoa butter and other oils in various ways (pre-poo, wash and leave in) as well as spritzing rose water for moisture and my hair is staying pretty soft. I stopped breaking off at the ends (a problem a couple of weeks ago) and am back to my usual SSKs. It does seem preferable to hair breaking off, to be cutting SSKs, though if I had my druthers, neither would be happening....

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
The ends will show most what the whole hair is doing, because they are in old age.
I've switched up my routine to be full of oils rather than humectants because the dew point is just so low at the moment where I live and likely to stay that way all winter.
I'm using coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter cocoa butter and other oils in various ways (pre-poo, wash and leave in) as well as spritzing rose water for moisture and my hair is staying pretty soft. I stopped breaking off at the ends (a problem a couple of weeks ago) and am back to my usual SSKs. It does seem preferable to hair breaking off, to be cutting SSKs, though if I had my druthers, neither would be happening....

Well I used my oil sheen spray on my ends they feel better. I didn't use the leave in today. Maybe I need to add oils back into my routine. I didn't need them this summer. My hair was perfect for it. I had silkiness, shine, and good growth. I was proud of my new found hair. I switched my routine big time. I cut out daily oiling, monistat, and cones except for two products. The one I used weekly every Monday and the other monthly Aussie 3 minute miracle. I think this summer routine is a good one I just need an oil for the winter. I did start bbb a week ago I forgot to mention would that make ends dry or tangly.

meteor
December 17th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Maybe I need to add oils back into my routine. I didn't need them this summer.
... I think this summer routine is a good one I just need an oil for the winter. I did start bbb a week ago I forgot to mention would that make ends dry or tangly.
Definitely! The biggest change to my routine in winter is adding (or increasing) use of oils. One needs more hydrophobic/occlusive agents and less humectants in cold, dry winter.
Another thing that I do in winter is stretching washes more (my scalp gets dry in winter) and definitely covering hair with silk and watching out for flannel, wool and all static-producing materials.

Sorry to hear about the BBB experience. If your hair gets dry and tangly with a BBB, maybe it's not good for your hair type? My hair is similar to yours in that it's fine, thick and wavy, and BBBs don't work for me.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Definitely! The biggest change to my routine in winter is adding (or increasing) use of oils. One needs more hydrophobic/occlusive agents and less humectants in cold, dry winter.
Another thing that I do in winter is stretching washes more (my scalp gets dry in winter) and definitely covering hair with silk and watching out for flannel, wool and all static-producing materials.

Sorry to hear about the BBB experience. If your hair gets dry and tangly with a BBB, maybe it's not good for your hair type? My hair is similar to yours in that it's fine, thick and wavy, and BBBs don't work for me.

My hair isn't naturally wavy. Maybe I should give up bbb, oil more, and see if that helps. I don't have a silk scarf. I do wear flannel shirts I never thought of that as a culprit.

meteor
December 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Yep, flannel and wool shed little balls of fibre which stick to hair and create tangles. They stick even more if there's something in your hair (oil, leave-ins).
Once I removed or covered flannel / wool wherever I sit and sleep, I noticed a dramatic improvement in silkiness of my hair. It feels like my hair manages to retain more moisture this way.

jacqueline101
December 17th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yep, flannel and wool shed little balls of fibre which stick to hair and create tangles. They stick even more if there's something in your hair (oil, leave-ins).
Once I removed or covered flannel / wool wherever I sit and sleep, I noticed a dramatic improvement in silkiness of my hair. It feels like my hair manages to retain more moisture this way.

I might try a silk scarf to counter act the flannel shirt. I never knew they shed fiber balls.