PDA

View Full Version : Travel

kganihanova
December 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hello! I will be going on vacation next monday and I need some advice. I want to take coconut oil but I'm worried that the TSA will take my jar. We're only taking carry ons.......which I'm not happy about. I want to take some deep treatment as well, how would I go about doing that?
I don't want my stuff taken.............

JessicaAnn
December 16th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I stopped in the salon at the local Walmart because they were having a product sale and I saw up by the register they had a whole rack of small bottles specifically sized to be TSA friendly. Maybe check a salon or supply store and see if they've got anything that would work for you?

Madora
December 16th, 2013, 03:21 PM
If you're going to take something, make sure it is in its original container. There's no guarantee that the TSA won't confiscate it, however, so be prepared.

kganihanova
December 16th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I stopped in the salon at the local Walmart because they were having a product sale and I saw up by the register they had a whole rack of small bottles specifically sized to be TSA friendly. Maybe check a salon or supply store and see if they've got anything that would work for you?
I'm already planning to drop by there to get spray bottles for my back up leave in and some s and c. I'm gonna drop by sally's too though........

farmlass
December 17th, 2013, 03:24 AM
If it's in checked baggage, no problems, I took a small jar and had no trouble. If it's in hand luggage, then it has to be 100ml or less and in a clear baggie with your other liquids, creams and gels. You 'might' get away with it if it's solid, but I think it might still be classed as a cream.

kganihanova
December 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM
My thing is, I don't wanna take my expensive jar of coconut oil only to get it taken away. Didn't Curlycap get her oils and butters taken?

Kaelee
December 17th, 2013, 07:34 AM
If you're going to take something, make sure it is in its original container. There's no guarantee that the TSA won't confiscate it, however, so be prepared.

Actually, if the original container is too big, it is a guarantee that it will be confiscated. 3 oz or less, in carry on. They sell "travel bottles" for the purpose of decanting things into TSA friendly bottles. You can pick them up at the grocery store. I use these bottles and have never had anything confiscated, but it depends on where you're traveling I suppose. I've only traveled domestically.

Just be aware that coconut oil will leak all over the place in pretty much any container. :lol:

Kaelee
December 17th, 2013, 07:35 AM
My thing is, I don't wanna take my expensive jar of coconut oil only to get it taken away. Didn't Curlycap get her oils and butters taken?

If the jar is larger than 3 ounces it WILL be taken away. It will be thrown out right in front of you, if you bring it in carry on. 3ounces or less, in a 1 quart ziploc bag.

I've never had a problem following those rules.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I just put all my oils, shampoos etc in my check in luggage and have never had any problem. And in the original large containers too. But I did have to undo my bun completely and have a full pat down by security when my barrette set off the metal detector off. I wasn't happy about having to undo my updo....

Nini
December 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
If you can go a few days without oil then you can just leave it at home. Otherwise I'd transfer a small amount to a small jar, and double bag it. You can always pick up travel size s and c, either locally, at the airport or at your destination.

Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about your hair:)

truepeacenik
December 17th, 2013, 02:59 PM
CurlyCap had repackaged oils and butters in her checked bag. Not carry on.

Since I consider check=lost! I don't do that aside from paint.

Where are you going that won't have oils?
How long is the trip?

meteor
December 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
It's OK to bring your products in tiny sample bottles in the carry-on (not checked baggage - if they see something unlabelled, they tend to confiscate), just make sure you don't bring too many - or they might confiscate. Also, you can always use travel as an opportunity to try WO or NW/SO or try local products.

Just be aware that coconut oil will leak all over the place in pretty much any container. :lol:
This^ :lol:
No matter how tightly the cap sits on the bottle, always cover it in a plastic bag or two!

Anje
December 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Given CurlyCap's recent experience, I'm inclined to suggest that you melt some coconut oil and put it in a standard 3oz travel squeeze bottle, at least as a backup. If it looks normal, they're probably less likely to toss it, right?

Oh, I suggest putting liquids/oils/etc in ziplock bags even if you're checking it (gotta do it for carry-on). If it leaks in the pressure changes, you'll be glad to have a barrier between the bottle and your clothes.

torrilin
December 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't bother taking anything where you'll fuss if the TSA pitches it. Assume that whether it's in a checked bag or a carry on, they're planning on pitching it if they can come up with an excuse. After all, by TSA logic, your solid stick deodorant is a liquid! So is your lipstick, and the tin of massage balm and your powder compact. (TSA logic bears basically no resemblance to any actual logic, so just assume they're planning to toss all the stuff in your Ziplock bag)

So. That means the problem is not "how do I get them to not pitch it?" but "what stuff can I get at my destination that works and will not result in a crazy epic shopping trip?" If you're me and sensitive to fragrances, the answer may be "not bloody much." But chances are you can use a fairly wide range of products, even if some options aren't your favorites.

This is also an area where those of us who stretch washes have something of an advantage. If you only wash once or twice a week, it's a lot easier to deal with the TSA's stupid restrictions.

FWIW, I have had the TSA insist I was trying to smuggle drugs because I packed a hostess gift from Penzey's Spices. Because clearly bay leaves and pot contain the same chemical components... I've also gotten special sauce for braided hair, wearing socks, and wearing an undershirt. So yeah, no matter how harmless and ordinary it is, at this point I assume they're going to get creative. And not believably creative either. It's a way to harass anyone they can. They are not here to help. They're here to make your trip as difficult and unpleasant as possible.

(the same goes for US Customs, plus a few bonus points... do not ask how many times they've done a full search because clearly I must be a drug mule. I can't imagine how much more fun it must be if you're taking Ritalin for your ADD instead of Strattera.)

duchess67
December 17th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I have traveled internationally as well as domestically. Never had a problem with TSA. They have a website with pictures and detail information on how to pack liquids. Follow their guidelines and you should be okay. Enjoy your holidays!

Kaelee
December 17th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I have traveled internationally as well as domestically. Never had a problem with TSA. They have a website with pictures and detail information on how to pack liquids. Follow their guidelines and you should be okay. Enjoy your holidays!

This is my experience as well though I haven't traveled internationally in years. I fly at least once, often twice a year and have not had issues of any kind, even taking coconut oil in a baby food jar to Hawaii.

kganihanova
December 17th, 2013, 06:44 PM

I think the 14 oz container is too big :(

kganihanova
December 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I think I'm gonna take the chance to use up my SAO. I got some 3 oz containers and will probably label it. I'm not thrilled because SAO doesn't play as well with my hair but it'll have to do. I can stand to lose the SAO, not the coconut.

kganihanova
December 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
CurlyCap had repackaged oils and butters in her checked bag. Not carry on.

Since I consider check=lost! I don't do that aside from paint.

Where are you going that won't have oils?
How long is the trip?

I'm going to California for a week. I usually wash 2 or 3 times a week and coconut oil is my main leave in- which is problematic because I have no way of taking it. I'll be taking SAO instead, hopefully.

Kaelee
December 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Put some coconut oil in a smaller jar, and take that. If they take it you're out what, a couple dollars? If they don't, you have your coconut oil! :) That's what I did. They won't think twice about it if it's in one of those travel jars that they sell for that purpose, I'm guessing.

Where are you flying from? I've flown from Scranton PA, Philadelphia PA, SF California, Honolulu Hawaii and never had anything confiscated from carry on OR checked luggage.

kganihanova
December 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Put some coconut oil in a smaller jar, and take that. If they take it you're out what, a couple dollars? If they don't, you have your coconut oil! :) That's what I did. They won't think twice about it if it's in one of those travel jars that they sell for that purpose, I'm guessing.

Where are you flying from? I've flown from Scranton PA, Philadelphia PA, SF California, Honolulu Hawaii and never had anything confiscated from carry on OR checked luggage.

I'm going from Philly to LAX. I usually go to JFK and I've always had my toiletries taken there. Apparently, my deodorant is dangerous -.-

Kaelee
December 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I'm going from Philly to LAX. I usually go to JFK and I've always had my toiletries taken there. Apparently, my deodorant is dangerous -.-

You shouldn't have a problem.

It's weird that some people have issues and some don't...are some people just like...TSA magnets or something? :laugh: Or are some airports worse than others?

kganihanova
December 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
You shouldn't have a problem.

It's weird that some people have issues and some don't...are some people just like...TSA magnets or something? :laugh: Or are some airports worse than others?

I'm central asian/middle eastern. That might be it. Ever since we came here in '97, every single airport, we've been searched. They always claim ''random'' but EVERY TIME???

Ferryl
December 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
My flying rule is to follow the specific airline's online guide and to never bring any liquid/cream that I will potentially cry over if TSA tosses out. I usually go to the travel section of a store and pick out a cheap bottle of hairspray, deodorant, etc. Maybe you could pick up some cheaper coconut oil in the cooking isle and then place it in a travel sized squeeze bottle. Double bag it of course like others have said.

Kaelee
December 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I'm central asian/middle eastern. That might be it. Ever since we came here in '97, every single airport, we've been searched. They always claim ''random'' but EVERY TIME???

And that's just wrong. :( Racial profiling is NOT OK.

kganihanova
December 18th, 2013, 10:21 AM
You could call that racial profiling, but I think its more the fear of brown. It's gotten better since we got citizenship but its still not a good situation. I'm hoping this time around the american passport thing helps.

Kaelee
December 18th, 2013, 10:28 AM
You could call that racial profiling, but I think its more the fear of brown. It's gotten better since we got citizenship but its still not a good situation. I'm hoping this time around the american passport thing helps.

Whatever you call it, it's just wrong.

truepeacenik
December 18th, 2013, 10:55 PM
That's why a couple of my buddies have shirts reading, " harmless brown man."

Another was pulled off a plane for flying while black and educated. He was reading a book on WWI aircraft.
The woman who had complained demanded to be reseated when he returned to the plane.

I was searched every time for a few years. Lost the tie dyes, lost the strip search.

Kaelee
December 18th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I was searched every time for a few years. Lost the tie dyes, lost the strip search.

Those darn hippies are going to blow up the plane with their special brownies!!! :p

Just kidding...but really...tie dye? That makes NO sense. They've gotten really ridiculous.