PDA

View Full Version : From layers to blunt with 3 to 3 month trims?

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Hello there!

I just checked the amount of "blunting" I will have with my next trim, that I'll have next week, and I finally got to the conclusion that it will be almost none. I have this huge V on my ends yet, mostly because my front and upper hair haven't got to waist yet, or anywhere near it.
So my question is, for those who went from layered hair to blunt, straight ends, with a trim from 3 to 3 months or so, how much time did it take and if the result was satisfying after such a long time...

I must have about a year worth of growth between the first shortest and the longest layer so cutting it all at once is a big no no, I will do it with trims. At first I was thinking about a trim every 4 months but now I am really considering every 3 months. Tailbone is a goal I really want to accomplish, but I feel I am not enjoying my ends anymore, they are keeping me from liking my hair on a 100%.

So, any tips on this matter? :flower:

spidermom
September 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think the shape of your hem looks really good, just for the record. It sounds like you have a good plan to get from where you are to where you want to be, though. Enjoy the journey.

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, it's strange... somehow I manage to make my hem look good when I take hair pictures.

I am not sure if the main reason it gets strange are the braid waves or the way I comb. It's not like I really hate it but I can't wait for that feeling of freshly cut ends. Eventually I will get there so I'm pretty relaxed. After all, I've stressed enough about my hair already, I'm just enjoying it and taking care of it.

Either ways, it surprises me that out of 100 people that saw the thread, only Spidermom replied... Noone else has trimming experiences to share?

:flower:

Oh and by the way Spidermom, thank's for always being in my threads encouraging my to love my hair :) That is so sweet and inspiring. I do love it and accept it in all it's forms. Hope you do that do :flower:

Aronomy
September 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM
What do you mean by 4 to 4 months? Or 3 to 3 months? That doesn't make sense to me.

spidermom
September 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
What do you mean by 4 to 4 months? Or 3 to 3 months? That doesn't make sense to me.

Haha; yeh, that kind of confused me, too. I decided they must be typing errors. Can you shed some light, LB?

Little_Bird
September 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
LOL

I'm sorry, I tought I was making myself clear... That's what you get when your mother language is not english hehe...

What I mean is, trimming hair from 3 to 3 months, that being, every three months (like January, April, July and October)...

:p Silly me... I always said it like this here on the forum and I always tought people understood. lol

Sorry and thank's for clearing it up for me guys :flower: Maybe now I'll have more replies hehe!!

spidermom
September 8th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Ah. The same as: I am trimming my hair every 3 months.

brok3nwings
September 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Little Bird i did understand you perfectly lol your english is great i have to stop and think eheh not the best english student myself. I have to read the subtitles at most of the films ;)
I personally like your hair the way it is, i like to see thick hair with u or v shapes rather than a blunt straight thing. but i think that your plan is good for what you´re looking for

JessTheMess
September 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hi Little Bird. I am doing the same thing as you. I am growing out fringe and shag layers. I most recently cut off about a years growth and I do regret it, as I am missing my length terribly right now. I think the every 3 months trim is a great idea.

P.S. I think your hem looks amazing as is...I wish mine was as thick and long

MsBubbles
September 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM
That's the reason I didn't respond too. I thought '4 to 4 months' was special hair terminology that I didn't know yet since I've only been here 5 months :). I am on the same path as you, trying to get from V to blunt, albeit with a whole lot less hair than you!! I think your V ends look great since your hair is so thick! I had to blog a 'hair plan' for myself to get it clear in my head what the best thing would be for me. E.g. Would I rather feel long length of hair for the most time or could I stand to cut it all up to those shorter layers? How long should it take all those layers to reach my maintenance length and what might they look like once they're there (fried?!)? I had to do this so I wouldn't be tempted to be either a 'trimmer' or a 'non-trimmer' based on whomever's hair I happened to idolize or be jealous of at the time.

I decided on something somewhere in the middle between the 2 extremes - playing it safe, I guess!

I don't have any tips on how to be happy with what I've got until I get the blunt hemline :).

Good luck with your decision - but your hair is beautifully thick and looks awesome.

SweetPea88
September 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I also have to say that I think your hemline looks great! Since you are trying to grow out layers I think your plan sounds like a great one. I would suggest doing the first trim and then 3 months later just assess how things look and trim if you think you need to.

I'm continuing to grow out my layers as well and my plan is just to maintain at waist for a little while by trimming 1/2" each month. Everyone has a different method that works for them! :)

harpgal
September 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Little_Bird, I have had great luck trimming every 3 months, but only a very little. Very small, frequent trims helps a lot. I do not know how long it will take you to achieve your goal if you do that, but your hair is magnificent and enjoying your longhair journey should be a pleasure. :)

utdesertrunner
September 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I agree you have beautiful thick hair and a gream hemline. I'm also on the every 3 month plan. How much are you going to trim? The feel of fresh cut ends is nice. I agree that your English is great too.

birthmarkie
September 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It depends how much you plan to cut with each trim...the best way to figure out how long it will take to get a blunt cut is to measure your hair to the shortest layer and subtract that from your longest layer's length. Let's say there is a 3-inch difference. If you cut an inch every three months, you should have a blunt cut in nine months.

AnneAdeline
September 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I'm currently trying to get my layered hair to a blunt hemline. I've been asking my hairdresser to take more off the bottom layers and just a little off the shorter ones.
That way I still have the length, but am working towards a blunt hemline.

Little_Bird
September 9th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hey, thank you so much for all the comments about my hemline! It actually surprises me that it looks pretty to you guys, it's really on an anoying stage because it's very irregular. It looks like a soft U shape on my latest pictures but it is not like that everyday, maybe from the braid waves or something...

My trimming won't be very drastic because I am loving the lenght, even tough the ends sometimes bother, it does pay. I am probably triming half an inch every 3 months, so I will still be growing while I get the ends blunt.
I also love U shapes but my goal is classic, blunt and straight. After that, if I miss the old shape on my ends, I'll trim it to a U shape, which I find so beautyfull too.

Anyways, I still have a lot of time to go with a U shape untill I can trim everything to a blunt straight hemline. I will do things slowly. I think my hair is in great shape, specially after the salty/chlorinated vacations I had, so I am very happy. And now that university is starting again it's the perfect opurtunity to not pay atention to my hair while it grows :p

Thank's so much for all the input. I feel confident about my plan now :D

You're all too sweet :flowers:

Curlsgirl
September 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I like blunt and straight too so I understand. I did get rid of layers when I came here for like 2 years and finally have it all the same length. I was haphazard in the way I trimmed it off but not all at once for sure!!! Now I am liking the every 3 or so months trimming.

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I like your current hemline, too.

Another option for changing it into something that pleases you more is to do small trims every 3 months to change the shape into a blunter U, then go to every 4 months so that your growth is a little faster. From your other posts, I know your end goal is longer with a straighter hem. Just a thought, though; it depends on your personal preference on how straight your hemline is, and how long your hair is getting.