PDA

View Full Version : I need advice for wearing my hair down

LauraLongLocks
December 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I can't really remember the last time I wore my hair down (the number of days I have listed on the wear your hair up is only since I started keeping track). I want to wear it down, curled with rag curls on my anniversary date on Tuesday night, since it's a kid-free special occasion. I'm so afraid of getting it tangled into a horrible mess. Hubby is taking me to a restaurant for dinner and then we're supposed to watch a movie together. Ugh. I seriously dislike watching movies in the theater, especially for a date that is supposed to be "fancy" but it was his year to plan, so we're doing it, and I'm going to enjoy it no matter what. Anyway, I'm concerned about the tangles, and I'm worried about getting lice from the movie theater chair (what if the person before me was crawling in lice?). Are there any other things I need to be concerned about? What are some things I can do to make the 'wearing my hair down' experience less tangly, and more enjoyable for me?

ETA: It's our 19th anniversary. :)

Chromis
December 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I'd just put it up afterwards for the movie. Alternatively, pull it in front of you. This gets easier as it is longer for me since now it will neatly sit in my lap but yours might be better behaved than mine was at waist!

askan
December 15th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I would try and relax about it! People wear their hair down all the time without anything horrible happening. Tangles can be untangled, maybe afterward in the shower with a lot of conditioner? :) But I agree with Chromis, put it in front of you if you can so you don't ruin the curls! And lice...I wouldn't think it's a big risk, but if you bring a jacket to the theater I suppose you could put it over the chair's back! Plus, happy anniversary! :D

Kaelee
December 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I pull my hair in front of me when I wear it down, though I only wear it down outside my apartment a few times a year. :) I wear it down for special occasions, dance my butt off and don't worry about it. Just carefully detangle (maybe in the shower with a ton of slippy conditioner) afterwards.

0xalis
December 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I was going to ask something with a similar title, more related on how to avoid damage while wearing hair down. I'll need to think of a more different title! lol.
But yeah, relax, and just have fun! If you're REALLY paranoid about getting lice, have someone check your head thoroughly afterwards. The faster you realize you have them, the faster and easier you can get rid of them. Tangles aren't really something to get too worried about, just be very gentle and patient when detangling. Basically, I second everything everyone else said! Happy anniversary!

Demi-Plum
December 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I have fine/thin hair and I wear it down a lot more than i probably should. I'm not a morning person..... so I don't always feel like putting it up. Even with my hair I rarely get horrible tangles. The best thing to do is to pull it over one or both shoulders. Even with your hair curled you can still do that at your length. Unless you're going to go out into a windstorm or do vigorous activity I'm sure you hair will be just fine. If you are that worried I would suggest bringing a small comb in your bag (or just finger comb every so often). And I've never really heard about anyone getting lice from a movie theater seat. Hair up or down it would be a possibility I guess... but a highly unlikely one. I think you will be ok if you just take a breath and enjoy your anniversary. I hope it's a happy one at that!

ErinLeigh
December 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Lay a silk scarf on the back of the seat and enjoy your evening. Tangles can be brushed out. Hair is tougher than you are giving it credit for. It will survive even if you end up using heat for one night. You may be treating your hair like fine lace so it will keep growing..but it is not fine lace. You have strong, beautiful, healthy hair that can be enjoyed once in a while without worry :)

As far as tangles..pack a one oz spray bottle with leave in (or fav oil) If a tangle starts you can always go to restroom, comb with leave in and quicky detangle and go back to the date.
Dove makes a really light detangler that I adore. Dove Nourishing Oil Detangler with Argan It has a cone but it is one that can be removed with cowash only (Cyclopentasiloxane). It does not make hair weighed down, sticky or oily. You can use multiple times during the day and hair looks the same. It is my go to if I have to keep hair detangled but still styled.

ErinLeigh
December 16th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Congratulations on the anniversary by the way! 19 years and 11 kids is really something to celebrate. You will have a wonderful time with your DH.

Oh..if you are really freaked out about lice. Use NEEM Oil the next day. It is said lice cannot stand that stuff. Do a neem treatment just to be sure. Cant hurt and fear averted.
You can buy on Amazon for $5 for 4oz and probably most health food stores. It smells something fierce but my hair likes it occasionally. Google "Neem for removing lice" and it will help set your fears to rest knowing there are options if lice should ever occur. But for sure lay something on the back of the seat just for a barrier. Silk would be great for hair. You can bring hair over the shoulder and the scarf would be there just in case.

Please dont worry. All is going to be fine and you are going to look stunning. You are growing your hair for a reason, so enjoy it without guilt. This is what all the hard work has been for! To be able to show off your crowning glory and have hubby stare in amazement at your beauty.

ravenreed
December 16th, 2013, 12:35 AM
I wear my hair down from time to time. I just brush the tangles out several times during the day. I have never in my life had lice.

joflakes
December 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM
I do what ravenreed does when I wear my hair down (unless I have braid waves). I can't stand my hair being up at night so I always wear it down then as well, it isn't ever that bad.

Lice are really very unlikely but tbh it doesn't matter if your hair is up or down, they will find a way! I had a lice scare from the school I worked in and I kept my hair up all the time.

Flor
December 16th, 2013, 02:33 AM
It never occurred to me to worry about lice when wearing hair down and/or sitting in movie theater... And tangles =/= damage. If you untangle your hair gently afterwards, you'll be fine.

I'm just not sure about going to movies for a wedding anniversary, if you dislike it so much? Does your hubby not know that you're not a fan of movie theaters?

goldenlady
December 16th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I work as a trainee primary teacher and keep my hair down 60% of the time. I've never ever had lice. You'll be fine :)

spidermom
December 16th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Wear a very smooth fabric, slippery even.

sarahthegemini
December 16th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Tbh I think you're worrying too much, I mean, lice off a theatre chair? Really? :p It sounds as though you wearing it down will be more hassle than it's worth ....

Madora
December 16th, 2013, 08:15 AM
After you've returned home and are ready to detangle, perhaps you could spritz your curls with water to help take some of the bounce out of the curls, and thus make them easier to detangle.

I did rag curls years ago...and detangling was time consuming...moreso than usual.

Happy 19th Anniversary!

LauraLongLocks
December 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Thank you for all the great responses. I really appreciate it.

About lice, yes, I'm paranoid. I have had them twice, in August of 2005, and in May 2008. The last time I had them my hair was maybe 2-3 inches shorter than it is right now. Impulsively, I chopped it to a pixie in desperation since there was no one to pick my head. I had to pick my own head (hubby said he could do it the NEXT day, after work, and I couldn't live with those critters for an additional 24 hours). We've since agreed that if I should ever get lice again, he's going to drop whatever plans he may have and he's going to pick my head for me.

And yes, he knows I'm not big on going to a movie theater. Mainly, I think going to a movie doesn't give you a chance to really enjoy being together. I mean, it's not an experience that makes you grow closer, or gives you a chance to enjoy each other's company. However, we're having dinner out first, so that will give us time to visit, face-to-face. It's not my favorite date, but it's not the worst thing I can think of, either. I'm going to have a good time.

Thank you for the detangling advice, and for encouraging me to just live it up and have fun. These special occasions are the very reason that we grow our hair long and beautiful. If we can't enjoy our hair down for anniversaries, weddings, and other special events, what is the point of having long hair, right? I like the idea of laying a silk scarf down on the theater seat, and wearing silky clothing. This should help prevent the tangles, and help protect against lice, in case there are any bugs crawling around in my seat. An overnight olive oil smothering after I detangle will also slow the critters down, and in the morning, I can have hubby check to see if I've picked up any bugs.

Chromis
December 16th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I think wearing it up for the movie still sounds easier than laying out a silk scarf. After all, the theatre will be dark so no one will be able to see your gorgeous locks anyhow. You'll have gotten to feel special with it down at the restaurant still :blossom:

ErinLeigh
December 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM
ok Laura, can I now diagnose you with Phthiriophobia :)
Chromis has a good point..down for dinner, up for theater. Ahhh the simple things are sometimes the easiest. But if you really do fear lice you will probably want a barrier even just for psychological comfort.

LauraLongLocks
December 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Ha ha! The movie that hubby wanted to see is no longer playing at the theater, so we scrambled and found a live dance recital in the area to watch. And yes, ErinLeigh, you can correctly diagnose me. I even have a special lice comb floating around here somewhere and a book about how to kill lice, ha ha!

bekahleigh
December 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM
On our anniversary date back in October, I wore it half up half down for the dinner and then pulled it up while in the movie because I end up with it stuck between me and the chair back and it gets uncomfortable. My biggest fear wasn't tangles so much as getting my earrings trapped in my hair. Once I stopped worrying though, and started enjoying myself, I had zero issues with tangles or traps of any kind.

ProverbsGirl
December 16th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Oh gosh. I have never thought of the lice/movie theater things before. I will never be able to watch a movie at the theater and not think of that ever again.
I do not have anything to offer. Sorry. My anniversary was a month or so ago..I curled it and wore it down with a section pulled back..and it knotted.I just pulled it up and next day and detangled in the shower.

Happy Anniversary! Hope you guys have a fun date!

leslissocool
December 16th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I always wear my hair in a fancy romantic updo (a bit messy) for dates. I feel a lot more dressed up with my hair up.