PDA

View Full Version : My scalp hurts.

getoffmyskittle
December 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM
For 90% of the year, I use and unabashedly love Head and Shoulders shampoo. But when the temperature plunges into single digits (for the HIGH! -- let's not even talk about the low), my scalp gets incredibly dry, tight, and hurty. I'm pretty sure that when it's *this* dry, the H&S, which is one of the harsher shampoos out there, is just too too. I tried coconut oiling it today, which is usually my holy grail, but even that wasn't very soothing.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it? I have dandruff (obviously) so that is why I use the H&S; I'm afraid that switching shampoos will cause it to flare up, which is equally unpleasant.

turtlelover
December 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Could you could try using it every 2nd or 3rd wash instead of every wash?

leilasahhar
December 15th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I use to have this same problem! I use redwood roots hair mist for scalp..before I found this I made my own spray with oils and water but this stuff is way better. I think its just that your scalp needs more moisture in the cold weather and coconut oil might not be the best to use in the cold because it hardens.

PixxieStix
December 15th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Any chance an aloe vera rinse after washing might help? I'm sorry to hear your scalp is not in love with the weather, and hope it stops hurting soon!

Demi-Plum
December 15th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I second the use it every other or every third wash and see if that helps. If you want to try a lighter oil you can try argan oil. I have fine/thin hair and I almost always prefer it over coconut oil because coconut oil makes my hair super greasy. Since coconut oil doesn't make your hair look super greasy you might be able to use the argan oil instead (since I haven't heard or experienced it hardening the way coconut does). I use the leftover oil on my hands to massage my face and hands. It makes you skin super silky and soft. Sometimes I'll just use it on my skin if I want to give it an extra boost - and I have super sensitive skin.

rainfortheend
December 16th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Stretch your washes! I use a homemade dry shampoo (arrowroot, cocoa, activated charcoal) that I've made to match my hair color.

And when you do wash, dilute your shampoo! I use one squirt (less than a teaspoon's worth) mixed with 1.5 oz vinegar (pH balance) and 4.5 oz water. I'll squirt it on my dry hair using a color applicator bottle (you can get them at Sally's) and rinse. It'll still foam up nicely. You'll be surprised at how little shampoo you actually need!

eshta
December 16th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I recently found a hair blog with interesting topics, this (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/04/calp-matters-treating-dandruff-and.html) topic might be useful. In the comments she says the anti fungal properties of most natural oils including coconut are not strong enough for dandruff, and the fungus that causes dandruff thrives on the fatty acids. I would stay away from natural oils on your scalp if you have dandruff, maybe mineral oil would work. I have mild dandruff and I have been thinking about using garlic mixed with a gentle shampoo, it's a strong anti fungal but I worry about the smell lingering. Doesn't henna also have anti fungal properties? If you like the color you could try a henna gloss.

getoffmyskittle
December 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Could you could try using it every 2nd or 3rd wash instead of every wash?

Yeah, but then what to use in the interim? I guess a sulfate-free shampoo?

I use to have this same problem! I use redwood roots hair mist for scalp..before I found this I made my own spray with oils and water but this stuff is way better. I think its just that your scalp needs more moisture in the cold weather and coconut oil might not be the best to use in the cold because it hardens.

Yes, I think this is what's happening. I need to find something else for my scalp.

Any chance an aloe vera rinse after washing might help? I'm sorry to hear your scalp is not in love with the weather, and hope it stops hurting soon!

Intriguing. Aloe vera usually turns my hair into a big fuzzy mess, but it would be worth it for a comfy scalp.

I second the use it every other or every third wash and see if that helps. If you want to try a lighter oil you can try argan oil. I have fine/thin hair and I almost always prefer it over coconut oil because coconut oil makes my hair super greasy. Since coconut oil doesn't make your hair look super greasy you might be able to use the argan oil instead (since I haven't heard or experienced it hardening the way coconut does). I use the leftover oil on my hands to massage my face and hands. It makes you skin super silky and soft. Sometimes I'll just use it on my skin if I want to give it an extra boost - and I have super sensitive skin.

Yeah! I was actually thinking argan oil.

Stretch your washes! I use a homemade dry shampoo (arrowroot, cocoa, activated charcoal) that I've made to match my hair color.

I can't, unfortunately. Stretching washes = more dandruff = discomfort and shedding.

And when you do wash, dilute your shampoo! I use one squirt (less than a teaspoon's worth) mixed with 1.5 oz vinegar (pH balance) and 4.5 oz water. I'll squirt it on my dry hair using a color applicator bottle (you can get them at Sally's) and rinse. It'll still foam up nicely. You'll be surprised at how little shampoo you actually need!

Thanks. :)

I recently found a hair blog with interesting topics, this (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/04/calp-matters-treating-dandruff-and.html) topic might be useful. In the comments she says the anti fungal properties of most natural oils including coconut are not strong enough for dandruff, and the fungus that causes dandruff thrives on the fatty acids. I would stay away from natural oils on your scalp if you have dandruff, maybe mineral oil would work. I have mild dandruff and I have been thinking about using garlic mixed with a gentle shampoo, it's a strong anti fungal but I worry about the smell lingering. Doesn't henna also have anti fungal properties? If you like the color you could try a henna gloss.

I've been using coconut oil for many, many years and it has always helped my dandruff. :) I know that others have said coconut oil makes their dandruff worse, but I may not have a severe enough case of it for this to really apply, as long as I only leave it in for a few hours (if I leave it in for a long time, like more than 10 hours, it definitely makes my scalp worse). I think the oil helps break down my sebum, which is what the beasties really love to feast on. Gross enough for ya? LOL.

eshta
December 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I also have no problems with coconut oil, but I don't use it regularly on my scalp, but you never know. Indian herbs are very good for dandruff, if you don't mind the hassle of washing with them.

SleepyTangles
December 16th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I recently experimented mallow tea for another reason (mixing amla, shikakai and similar stuff), but its very soothing. Hydrating and moisturizing. Maybe you can soak your hair and scalp before shampooing and oiling, I think your scalp will like it.

Also, I had a stubborn, persistent dandruff while I was using sulphates, but henna and indian herbs always helped me to keep it at bay...

meteor
December 16th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I really recommend looking into neem oil and tea tree oil. Add a few drops to your shampoo or scalp rinse or scalp oil or whatever you apply to your scalp and you should see very good results. They are highly anti-fungal.

starlamelissa
December 16th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Head and shoulders makes a "dry scalp care" shampoo for this time of year. It's pretty moisturizing.

Mina17
December 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Massaging in Nightblooming's Triple Moon Anointing Oil a few hours before shampooing has soothed my dry itchy scalp.

ErinLeigh
December 16th, 2013, 02:40 PM
maybe some ideas from this link?
http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/9-simple-home-remedies-for-dandruff-that-worked-wonders-for-me/

I am sorry you have a painful scalp. I can't imagine what that must feel like. I am really sorry. Hope one of these things helps.

Just read the article. Neem is on there! That was my first guess. That and Emu I have read often helps with tight dry scalp from dandruff. Neem smells though. Kinda like a bad garlic and astringent. I use it for OCM sometimes. It is supposed to be a wonder oil.

If you can get the dandruff under control in between using head and shoulders maybe you will get a little relief during the cold season or when it is more active.

Has anyone who uses Monosat noticed if it helped with dry scalp and dandruff? I always wondered about the anti fungal benefit.

Sterlyn
December 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM
DH has a problem with itchy scalp that he has tried varies brands of shampoo to combat, what he said works the best is the home brewed concoction I make. I use a sulfate free shampoo and add Neem oil and tea tree oil to it. And yes the neem oil does have a bit of an odor, kinda reminds me of burnt rubber crossed with garlic, I also add a fragrance oil to it, but if you use a shampoo with an fragrance it really isn't that bad and the tea tree is more pleasant and helps mask it.

I don't know if this would be helpful with a scalp that's painful, as DH has only itchiness, but good luck in your search for relief.

Firefox7275
December 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
For 90% of the year, I use and unabashedly love Head and Shoulders shampoo. But when the temperature plunges into single digits (for the HIGH! -- let's not even talk about the low), my scalp gets incredibly dry, tight, and hurty. I'm pretty sure that when it's *this* dry, the H&S, which is one of the harsher shampoos out there, is just too too. I tried coconut oiling it today, which is usually my holy grail, but even that wasn't very soothing.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you deal with it? I have dandruff (obviously) so that is why I use the H&S; I'm afraid that switching shampoos will cause it to flare up, which is equally unpleasant.

Are you eating plenty of oily fish for the vitamin D and long chain omega-3s? A balanced, nutrient dense anti inflammatory diet generally? By dandruff do you meantime have been diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis?

getoffmyskittle
December 16th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Are you eating plenty of oily fish for the vitamin D and long chain omega-3s? A balanced, nutrient dense anti inflammatory diet generally? By dandruff do you meantime have been diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis?

I do not eat plenty of oily fish. :( But I do think my diet is quite good otherwise. I have never been diagnosed with anything but I am pretty sure that I have a mild case of seborrheic dermatitis.