PDA

View Full Version : Hey there! I'm new!

Orcasprt
September 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to this place, I've been a lurker for a bit and am coming out now, haha. I've always had short hair, and wish to have long, flowing fairy tale locks and ain't gonna stop trying until I get them!

Would someone mind telling me what hair type I would be? I assume each type needs slightly different care/likes different things? Thanks for any help/tips any of you can give me. I'll be bugging you all a lot :p

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/5316/hairehbe2.jpg

I've been using olive oil on my ends as my hair gets really dry (we're talking straw dry, here!) but am thinking about trying Jojoba. Would also like to henna soon, but one thing at a time, haha...

I'm really new to all of this, so thanks for any info you can give! :pray:

invisiblebabe
September 8th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hey :wave: Welcome!

I'm no hairtyping expert, but I'd guess you to be 2a/M/ii/iii. You have some definite wave, it looks like it's in between fine and coarse, and it looks relatively thick.

I bet henna would be pretty on you!

Shanarana
September 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I think I would agree with 2a/M/ii/iii. One thing at a time is a good thing so you will know what works for your hair. :) Not to sure about olive oil if it absorbs or just sits on the top of the hair....someone more informed about that oil may be able to help. I know that jojoba sits on the top, and coconut oil absorbs into the hair.

I can tell you what I do....I use coconut oil on my whole head (not to much) and a bit more on my ends, than use jojoba on the ends to seal in the coconut oil. Hope that makes some sense....just woke up here. ;)

By the way, welcome to the boards.

Fillette
September 8th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Welcome to The Long Hair Community!!! You will love it here.

Arctic_Mama
September 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I would say the jojoba is a good bet for you - lighter in feeling than the olive oil and I find it works better, in general. Coconut is still my personal favorite, but jojoba is definitely second. Your hair reminds me of my own - it's thick because I have a lot of it, but the individual strands are very slippery and fine. It tangles easily because it's quite wavy, but not wavy enough to look 'nice', just messy all the time. The ends are REALLY prone to dryness and then they snag on themselves, so I have to be VERY careful to keep them moisturized.

I have had very good luck with conditioner-only cleansing on my scalp and extra conditioning on my ends, combing through while damp and then just doing detangling with fingers/comb when dry (the brush snags my hair and breaks it/frizzes it out). I oil heavily before washing and lightly on the ends every day, smoothing a little oil down the length, as needed.

I have ditched ANY products with alcohol - my hair just can't take it and it makes it much more prone to damage when it is so dry. I am also careful not to overcleanse, hence why I avoid shampoo. My hair does seem to like cones but I am trying to go cone free and see how it goes. I also take Fish oil and Flax Seed oil caplets for general skin/hair health and that has helped my new growth be MUCH shinier, stronger, and more resilient than I've seen it be in the past.

It's at a weird length right now (maybe two inches shorter than yours) so I have a hard time keeping it up, but that would also benefit your hair. You can oil it more liberally when you do an updo and it protects it and moisturizes it very well.

Hope this helps! Everyone has different things that work for them, it's mostly trial and error. Welcome and good luck to you in your growing journey :flower:

Orcasprt
September 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone, so much!

invisiblebabe: Thanks for helping with the hair type. Sometimes my hair has more curl in it, this photo is my hair brushed out. But usually it settles like this and is just messy :rolleyes:

Shanarana: I never knew that about oils, thank you! I tried coconut a few times and never could tell if it was actually doing anything or not. It was the solid kind in the cooking section of walmart that melts with your body heat- is there an already liquid type that would be better to use?

Fillette: Thank you so much, I'm glad I decided to come out of lurkdom! :cheese:

Arctic_Mama: Yup, you're hair sounds a lot like mine, haha. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of sticking with Jojoba for awhile and seeing how I like it. How long is a good trial period for an oil before you know it's a yay for nay?

Thanks again for all the help, everyone. I'm off to read every article on here I can find, haha...:p

JessTheMess
September 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi:flower: welcome to the boards!!

Merkaba
September 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Welcome! Don't forget to read the articles to get even more great hints

Curlsgirl
September 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Be sure to use THIS (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954) hairtyping guide to type your hair. It's hard to go by just pics for thickness and type. :D

And WELCOME!! I look forward to seeing your progress!

bunnii
September 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hello!! Welcome to LHC!! :D:D :cheese: :D:D

I use EVOO too it penetrates much the same as coconut. I use a load before washing alot of the time and a bit after washinga and between washings, EVOO is my best chum haha!!!

Orcasprt
September 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone! :blossom:

Deborah
September 8th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Welcome! I hope you like it here.

Since you have not done it yet, I vote - don't do the henna. Your natural color looks just right. Your hair is soft and shiny looking, and the color compliments your feminine features perfectly.

Many of our members have fiddled with their hair color, but now wish they had virgin hair, and are working towards slowly getting rid of the phony colors. You are already there - where they want to be. You can grow your hair as long as you like without any thought or worry about roots or demarcation lines or messy treatments.

If you need some change, how about new updos or new hairtoys or new conditioning treatments? You will find nearly endless discussions on these topics, and lots more here on LHC. There is no need to be bored.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, and I know that some on the list color and perm and do other things to change their hair, and are happy that way. I do not look down on them at all. I just think natural is beautiful and natural is best.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy LHC and the wide diversity of people and ideas represented here.

Orcasprt
September 8th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Deborah: Thank you! I just (i think!) cut the rest of the damaged dye hair out a few days ago (3 inches GONE!). Hopefully I won't have crappy ends if I cut it wrong, but the ends look even, so I can't complain too much. I dyed my hair black last year, tried to fix it, turned out horrible, and had it fixed by a wonderful woman. Now I'm back to my natural color, and even though the henna is temping, I'm going to agree with you. I'm just going to focus on getting it as healthy as I can and leave the color alone, haha.

I am going to try that Monistat for growth, though, as I'm getting married in May and reaaallly want long hair for the wedding. ::sigh:: Was hilarious when I told my SO about it ("Why would you put that on your head?!"). I'm starting from the beginning with clarifying shampoo on Wed (gonna wash only 2ce a week and see how it goes) to figure out where to go with my hair and its needs. Oh, man.

The worst part is, I'm so immpatient and want results right now! :p I spent the last year growing out practically orange hair, almost had it halfway down my back only to chop it off. I loved it long and am excited to now be growing it healthy and long!

I'm pumped, people! :luke:

Thanks for making me feel so welcome!

Xandergrammy
September 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Your hair is very pretty and it should be a nice length by the time of your wedding. Welcome!

Orcasprt
September 9th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Xandergrammy: Awww, thanks! You all make me feel my hair is nicer than it actually is, hahaha. :D

Deborah
September 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
You're marrying in May? That's great! You have loads of time to treat your hair like fine lace, and generally just let it grow. You will be a beautiful bride.

sahiba
September 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Hi and welcome.:flowers:

Orcasprt
September 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Awww, thank you! :o Makin' me blush :p:D

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Welcome!

I was going to chime in with 2a, also, but after reading that you brushed, all bets are off. The hairtyping link is a good place to start. If you want second (and third and fourth) opinions on hairtyping, you'll need to take a picture with air-dried, untouched (no combing, no brushing) hair.

Regardless of what it's exact type may be, it's lovely.

Hue
September 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Shanarana: I never knew that about oils, thank you! I tried coconut a few times and never could tell if it was actually doing anything or not. It was the solid kind in the cooking section of walmart that melts with your body heat- is there an already liquid type that would be better to use?

Hello, and welcome. :flowers:

I think pure coconut oil always has a melting point of around 74F/23C, but it can be readily warmed in the hands. I've also accidentally spilled it on hot days! :)

You might find this article on oils helpful:

heidi w.'s Oiling Tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71)