PDA

View Full Version : Article on hair vlogger.

tetisheri72
December 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/11/kids-preposterous-updos-are-youtube-senstations.html

sumidha
December 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM
What a snide article.

koolkittychick
December 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have watched this channel before, and she is very creative with the styles that she comes up with. While many of the styles do not work with my hair texture, I have found a few that I managed to adapt with good success, so it is a good resource if you want to find a cute protective or decorative style to switch it up once in a while. :)

tetisheri72
December 15th, 2013, 11:07 AM
My mom sent it to me because of she knows that I watch hair vids to get ideas. She thought it was funny that I was already following her.

CurlMonster
December 16th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I don't understand the snarky tone of the article. It's a mum braiding her kids' hair and teaching everyone how to do hairstyles, it's about as innocent as you can get. Youtube is full of instructional videos, just like people want to learn how to do make-up and play guitar from Youtube, they also want to learn to braid. Why make fun of that?

tetisheri72
December 16th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Probably because it's easy to do. Hair is just a funny thing to them.

Ayjay
December 16th, 2013, 05:40 AM
What a pointless article. I follow that channel and most of the styles I probably will never do but Mindy does a great job of explaining things in a clear way and whats wrong with wanting your kids to look nice every day? Reminds me of when I had to stay with a friend on a school night and mom came to get me after school and she about cried at the state my hair was in, she was always very careful to make sure I looked nice and me being young didn't know any better that day.

PrincessIdril
December 16th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Well I looked at the homepage of that website and based on the tone of the titles of other articles I'm honestly not surprised.

This was probably written by a member of the group that believes long hair is ugly/dirty/aging/unprofessional etc. (circle the appropriate option) so of course they will think that instructional videos for long hair is weird.

tetisheri72
December 16th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Back when I was in 7th grade my hair was in between waist and hip. I had gym every day. I didn't know good hair practices, and didn't use conditioner. My fine hair tangled like crazy. My mom got up early every school day to french braid my hair. I would have loved for her to do some of those styles to my hair.

I've followed her for a few months. I like watching her do her daughters' hair. I'm not good at adapting styles that I see other people doing to other heads to being able to do them on my own, but I enjoy the techniques.

Demi-Plum
December 16th, 2013, 06:32 AM
They can shove off. I watch over 30 minutes of ONE hairstyle because I LIKE TO. I hate people who look down on things. As long as it's harmless and not trying to offend or morally wrong who cares what people like to do and what their hobbies are? People are so judgmental. I'd tell em to shove off and walk away with my chin held high!

verenikiscoma
December 16th, 2013, 06:45 AM
It's likely that the author attempted some of the hairstyles and failed and instead of doing the grown up thing of trying again, or admiring it without holding grudges, went passive aggressive instead. It's a shame because it is such a petty response. On the plus side I just discovered this vlogger and her hairstyles look amazing so silver lining!

Almendra
December 16th, 2013, 06:53 AM
When I saw this kind of articles I feel better with myself and then I realize I'm very hypocrit. Always picture this people like full-of-nothing in their heads, fashions victims, or Jersey Shore watchers. I realize I make fun of them too, for their moral values. Today I saw a girl in the bus with bleached hair and she said to her friend "It just doesn't grow", I thought to myself "If you take care of it properly, it will grow". I'm an ******* sometimes, and very judgmental too. I feel ashamed for it.
So I realize there are "hair snobs" in both sides.

alabaster
December 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Why is the tone of the article so condescending? I mean, what is wrong with hair braiding tutorials and why is that something to make fun of? People are sill sometimes!

Night_Kitten
December 16th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Eh, haters gonna hate... I have no idea what was the reason behind such a condescending and bashing writing style (jealousy? dislike of long hair? bashing everything different? an attempt to get more fame in such strange way? just plain stupidity?), whatever it was that article came out absolutely disgusting...

However, two good things came out of it - her wonderful channel and amazing hairstyling skills got more advertisement, and judging from the comments to the article there are a lot of people who think like we do and not like that writer :)

truepeacenik
December 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Why is the tone of the article so condescending? I mean, what is wrong with hair braiding tutorials and why is that something to make fun of? People are sill sometimes!

I got "hating on mommy bloggers," more than just hair hate.

Even I think one million views is a lot of people.

And 30 minutes? I like Torrin! and I pause and walk away multiple times. That's a long time on tiny screens.
Or I have the attention span of a cracked out squirrel. Which is likely.

Arete
December 18th, 2013, 11:17 PM
CGH was what got me into to experimenting with more than just basic french/dutch/english braids.

She's extremely clear, and if you know most basic braiding techniques (french, dutch, regular, lace, waterfall, fishtail, rope) you can just look at her pictures (which are always very nice in showing everything) and figure it out for yourself. If there's something you don't get, the videos are great tools.

Besides, the family is awesome. The kids seem to enjoy having their hair done, and the dad even shows how to do styles sometimes. I think it's super cool that Mindy was able to turn something she liked to do into a such a big success.