PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk

Avital88
December 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I recently added buttermilk in my diet as some old lady told me it is very good for the hair and skin.
She also told me to make a scalpmask w buttermilk,yoghurt,eggyolk and some olive once a week to stop hair fall and speed up growth..
For now i just started drnking half a liter a day of buttermilk, im too scared to do this mask yet(mess and smell) but will try it out soon.
I do remember after having my DD the nurse told me to drink buttermilk and i did for one month, it made my nails very strong..

Just wanted to share this tips, as i know they would be appreciated around here and hopefully someone will benefit from it.

cheetahfast
December 15th, 2013, 08:35 AM
This sounds interesting.

I used to drink buttermilk in smoothies. I think I'll try to add it back in.
As for the mask...IDK, I tried an onion/garlic one for growth that worked well, but the smell!!!! I'm not sure I want to risk another smelly mask.

TiaKitty
December 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Yick! I use it to make biscuits and bread and for a marinade, but I cannot bring myself to drink it. I may be able to use it as a mask, though.

I know it is incredibly good for you, though...

windyballoons
December 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Yick! I use it to make biscuits and bread and for a marinade, but I cannot bring myself to drink it. I may be able to use it as a mask, though.

I know it is incredibly good for you, though...

Agreed! The taste of buttermilk is not something that I can manage- I'll stick with regular milk and the buttermilk can stay in pancakes.

I don't think that hair mask sounds bad at all though! I bet it makes your hair really soft.

Avital88
December 15th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Haha yes the taste is quite different . Im used to it though as my mom used to give it to me as a young child, to me it's like liquid yoghurt :-))
It also seems to be easier to digest than regular milk and can help w weightloss.
Never knew it was so good. I will keep on drinking it and post back my results in a few months :))

sally_neuf
December 15th, 2013, 10:04 AM
eeek! Yes... I can't bring myself to drink buttermilk!

However if it is because of the probiotics, I eat a load of kefir :)

sumidha
December 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Heh, this makes me think of a story a family friend used to tell about her grandpa and his dislike of buttermilk. To avoid drinking it as much as possible he would tout it as a folk remedy for literally anything and everything. Stump keeps sending up new shoots? Pour buttermilk on it. Got a wart? Put buttermilk on it. Unexpected pregnancy? Put buttermilk on it! Didn't do anything about the baby, but supposedly his daughter/niece/whatever had amazingly smooth skin and no stretch marks afterwards, so I say go for it. :)

cranberrymoonz
December 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
This is funny because in the Netherlands, drinking buttermilk is so engrained in the culture (like eating peanut butter;) ) that it is not thought of as particularly healthy. On the other hand, putting is in pancakes or cookies is unheard of:rolling:

I drink it because I like the taste(yeah, like liquid yoghurt:) ), because it's low calorie and has calcium and protein. Never heard it was good for skin and hair. great:)

truepeacenik
December 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Tia, this might make you giggle.
My mom is so very southern.
While she never has buttermilk as a staple, on the weeks she made cornbread, she'd get a small container.
To crumble the cornbread into the next day. Eaten with a spoon.

But she won't eat plain yogurt, only sweetened. Or sour cream.
I won't eat presweetened, or sour cream.

meteor
December 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I think kefir is tastier and even better for digestion and other health benefits.
As for applying this stuff to hair... Milk and milk products (e.g. kefir, yogurt, sour cream) are used quite a lot as natural straighteners and to impart shine in natural hair care tradition. I think it's the lactic acid that helps the hair lay straighter, with a flatter cuticle and shinier.
I have tried yogurt and sour cream as deep treatments, and they both work very well alone or mixed in conditioners, oils, but you need to remember to warm it up, not to apply straight from the fridge, and keep the mixture wet in the hair, as it can dry out very quickly.
Even sweetened yogurts work, because the sugar/honey added (check the ingredients) are good humectants.
The smell definitely goes away if you use shampoo or conditioner after.

TiaKitty
December 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Oh, no, cranberrymoonz, not cookies! Biscuits! Which definitely aren't cookies, if you live here... http://southern.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110 It's more like a fluffy, soft scone, but without any flavors in it.

That is funny, truepeacenik! I have lots of family that does that, too... but I can't get into it in the buttermilk...

When I was little Mamaw asked me to get her the milk. I brought her the milk. She said, no that's the "Sweet Milk." I got confused and went back to the fridge. It took someone helping me before I knew what she wanted... I wasn't even sure what buttermilk was, let alone sweet milk, which I could only imagine would be flavored chocolate or strawberry. The old timers here drank a small glass of buttermilk each day, and they lived into their late 80's, so it must be good for you!

cranberrymoonz
December 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Oh, I got confused with british biscuits! Language is difficult;) And those biscuits look very nice!

askan
December 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I looked up buttermilk on Wikipedia and it says that what is originally meant by the term is the liquid you get after beating cream into butter..But as I understand it there are other dairy products sold as buttermilk? The stuff you get when you make butter is sweet to me and pretty tasty, if I remember correctly.. Interesting that you have Kefir as well, that's similar to the Swedish "filmjölk" which is...soured milk with the consistency of yoghurt, don't know how best to bescribe it. It tastes sour. Never tried it on my hair though! I tried yoghurt mixed with a bit of honey, conditioner and aloe as a treatment. It looked sooo tasty, like custard, but it didn't have any special effect on my hair.

cranberrymoonz
December 17th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, buttermilk is traditionally the by-product from churning milk to make butter. Nowadays it is often made by simply adding lactic acid bacteria to milk. The part I don't get is what the diffence is between the latter and yoghurt. (exept for it being liquid, obviously)

Thinthondiel
December 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, buttermilk is traditionally the by-product from churning milk to make butter. Nowadays it is often made by simply adding lactic acid bacteria to milk. The part I don't get is what the diffence is between the latter and yoghurt. (exept for it being liquid, obviously)

Real buttermilk isn't sold in Norway, and I've never even heard any Norwegians talk about buttermilk, but it seems to me that what is sold as cultured milk (and is colloquially called sour milk, along with Kefir) here in Norway is pretty much the same thing as what you mentioned - the type of "buttermilk" that's made by adding lactic acid bacteria to milk. And I know it can replace buttermilk in recipes.

truepeacenik
December 17th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Different bacteria culture differently.
In the states there are regional differences in sourdough. I live in the San Francisco area.
I made sourdough in the Rocky Mountains, and I've had breads made with Alaskan starters. I can almost the them apart blindfolded, which says two things: the bacteria taste different and I eat way too much bread. ;)

When I make yogurt, I use some of the last batch, if it was ok, or fresh "starter" from a single serving container of plain yogurt.