PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys wear your hair when wearing a beanie?

Flournoy
December 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Last year I just wore it loose under the cap, but with a years extra growth now if its windy then it gets quite tangled as i found out recently. Just curious what others do.

Anje
December 14th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I keep mine braided or bunned, same as normal. I do tend to stick to shorter sticks/forks or to clips like Ficcares so that the shape underneath isn't quite as strange.

.Amanaka.
December 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I tend to keep mine either braided (I have been braiding at night and adding tons of coconut oil, so the braids stay nice and sleek looking thorough the next day), or simply bunned. Double duty protection.

YamaMaya
December 14th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Be careful with wool caps, as wool is notoriously moisture sapping. maybe put a silk cap under your hat, and oil generously.

GoddesJourney
December 14th, 2013, 07:36 PM
One braid at the nape or two braids.

Applegirl84
December 14th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I just lined my favorite wool hat with pieces of an old silk scarf. I twist my hair into a bun and then put my hat on, so my hair is loose inside (pretty much what I do with my sleep cap too). I always have shiny waves when I take it off, but I guess it does look a bit weird not having any hair sticking out. Sometimes I pull a few short hairs loose in the front to soften the look.

Vanilla
December 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I normally do a single English braid when wearing a beanie.

MandyBeth
December 15th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Get a Scoodie instead :D

More as I wear ear covering gear. Because I have enough piercings to strain pasta, all with titanium, which gets painfully cold in no time at all.

Quixii
December 15th, 2013, 02:06 AM
I tend to not wear beanies, because it looks weird with my hair bunned (awkward lump in the back) and I won't wear my hair down. Sometimes I do try to do a high, flat bun, or sometimes I do a braid or two, and sometimes I do a ponytail if I'm feeling like dealing with that kind of hair for the day.

Misschilly
December 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM
I just bun it like always, but I try to not use my biggest sticks!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I just bun mine in a flat type of bun underneath.

Flournoy
December 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the tips. I don't really like how my ponytail looks coming out, so Ill try the braid. Just gotta get the courage up to wear something other than a ponytail around.

kitemera15
December 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I usually try a flat bun, secured with crimped hairpins.

bmcfarland
December 18th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I usually leave my hair loose under the beanie, or coconut oil the ends and pull it all up with a claw clip. I don't really have the weird bump issue if my hat is large enough. Kind of like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2mIxmM2Vmio/Tkx4GaJAu2I/AAAAAAAACVk/AYOdJsmxQto/s1600/clawclip.jpg

Chromis
December 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I prefer more of a tam shape, which gives me space for an updo underneath. Beanies (or toques as they are known here) are too tight or if they are loose enough for my hair to fit in them, they are too loose around the ears and let in cold air. Slouchy beanies work too, but I find the tam is best. With the space my bun takes up, they just look like a beanie from the front and maybe a little bumpy in back. I use a log roll held with a large Ficcare Maximus as my winter updo since it compresses well and doesn't get caught in things. I love my sticks and forks, but only wear them when it is not hat weather. I've made many posts in knitted hat and winter hat threads with pictures showing how well this works for me and the hat styles I prefer.

I wear wool all winter and my hats are not lined (or if they are, it's more wool in a second layer!). I don't have any problems with dryness and think that is all an old wives tale. Lining my hat with silk would lose the stretch I need for it to fit over my bun and still be snug on the ears so heat doesn't escape. If it is windy or really, really cold I need a toque plus my jacket's hood.

makeminea99
December 18th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I tend to wear one or two braids or a flattish bun under a hat, although I will usually go for a slouchy beret so there's plenty of room! Never usually loose under a hat though, if I try to stuff it into a hat loose it either all falls out again in minutes or just becomes a vicious cold blooded tangly beast.