PDA

View Full Version : Why are you for or against heat?

kganihanova
December 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Hi all! I was just wondering why some of you were for or against heat. I guess I'll start.

I'm against heat because high temps do tend to damage hair. I'm aware that there are better blowdry techniques- quick passes, low heat, cool air but the whole thing just seems time consuming. I'm a student with barely any time to deal with this hair and it's just easier to air dry. Not to mention my waves (or former waves- bye bye layers) don't deal well with heat.

I'm excited to hear your responses!:)

snakes&stuff
December 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I used to blow dry & flat iron every single day. The problem is that my hair is coarse, thick, curly, & dry in its natural state, so I always had ratty, straw-like hair with severe splitting. I had a big chop to remove all my damage over a year ago and i haven't used heat since. Some types of hair can handle heat better than others. My mom (who has thinner, pin straight hair) uses a blow dryer & flat iron daily, but hers looks & feels perfectly healthy.

neko_kawaii
December 14th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Heat sounds like work to me.

Madora
December 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Natural air drying is the gentlest way to dry.

Marbid
December 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I blow dry my hair every time i wash it. I blow dry on cool setting and only until my hair is slightly damp.

I dont want my curls to form, its not that i dislike them, i just cant brush them. I wear my hair up every day, and i need to brush out the curls for braids and some buns. It looks neater. So i braid it damp to get braid waves which are much easier to handle than my hair in its natural state.

The only time i air dry is when i am going to be wearing my hair down. Which i don't do often at all. The curls, and the wind, and shirt friction... Leads to damage. I'm trying to grow out to term. Really don't want any damage.

So there. I am against heat thou. It damages hair. But i myself do style my hair as i just said.

NaClH2O
December 14th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I stopped getting split ends after giving up the flat iron and blow dryer almost immediately. Heat is terrible for my wavy hair.

YamaMaya
December 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
For my own personal hair I'm 100% against heat. It dries out the ends faster than anything and they get all tatty and velcro like. I wouldn't tell others what to do with their hair, and I'd hope they return the favor :).

meteor
December 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I don't blow-dry because it's damaging, time-consuming, loud and even causes tangles the same way wind does.

I certainly would never flat iron or use a heat curler, because it can cause "bubble hair", permanently change the structure of hair keratin, and it would take forever on my thick hair anyway.

As for using heat to deep condition, it looks like your body temperature is enough for optimal conditioning: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-everything-you-need.html
It looks like even using steamers may not be good for hair: during an experiment hair strands were stretched over steam and permanently kept the stretch after drying, suggesting permanent structural change.

Anje
December 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I'd rather not risk the damage most of the time, and my fine hair isn't particularly tough. However, I mostly don't use heat because it takes a lot more effort on my part to blow dry my hair than to not blow dry my hair.

amme0414
December 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'm against because I'm growing out a pixie, therefor not wanting hair breakage AT ALL.

Arete
December 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM
My hair tends to the dry and porous side, so heat would only hurt it. I did straighten it once for kicks and giggles (not very fond of the result), and it took 45 minutes, so also it would take too much time.

LadyCelestina
December 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I'm for gentle heat.I think it is less damaging to blow dry with warm air than it is to sleep with or go out in winter with wet hair.

jeanniet
December 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not for or against anything. I think people should do what makes them happy with their hair, even if I wouldn't. I use a blow dryer with diffuser if for some reason I have to wash my hair in the morning and have it look good fast. It just takes too long to dry otherwise. Otherwise it dries overnight. I would never flat iron, though. I just don't care for the look. To me it doesn't look natural, and the damage wouldn't be worth it anyway.

spidermom
December 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Right now, I am for it. I was against for a long-long time, but I still had thousands of split ends and other evidence of damage even though I did very little with my hair that could be considered damaging.

Now if I get thousands of split ends, I'll at least have a reason for it. I'm tired of always feeling plain jane and frumpy. I want to look and feel somewhat pretty, and if that takes heat styling, so be it.

LauraLongLocks
December 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
When my hair was at chin length and shorter, I needed to use a blow dryer to have any body at all to my hair. I knew heat was bad for my hair, but I used high heat and high wind speed on my blowfryer. I wasn't sure if I was going to grow it out. Between that length and where I am now (MBL) I always air dried. But this winter, it is taking a lot longer to get my hair fully dry (about 2-3 hours), and with the freezing temperatures, I can't stand to have a wet head. I also can't leave my hair loose for hours while I wait for it to dry, because I have livestock that must be cared for, and young children. My long hair cannot be down or it gets tangled and caught in everything, and might actually be dangerous. So, I fan my strands as Madora taught me, and I combine that effort with my blow dryer on the cool setting. I blow dry it until it is mostly dry, which takes me about 30 minutes. At that point, I can put it up and it's out of the way, and it won't rot/sour on my head from being constantly wet. The trade-off of damage from being caught and tangled while in a wet state, vs the damage from being dried with my blow dryer on cool is worth it to me. I choose the blow dryer. It's more comfortable to have dry hair, put up and neat, than to have wet hair in my way for hours. I think when it's summertime again, I'll stop using the blow dryer, and just do Madora's fanning technique outside in the sun (unless it's terribly windy, because that would cause a bunch of tangles for me)... or maybe just use a fan on low inside the house.

truepeacenik
December 14th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Personally against heat as it is a waste of resources.
That said, I've done plenty to capture my own body heat in conditioning.

ositarosita
December 14th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I'm not for or against heat, I think people should do what makes them happy in this case... Much like spidermom I do use heat (occasionally) so I don't feel frumpy as my hair is not at an attractive length for me at the moment so I style it so I can feel good about me when going out..... I also want to note that I don't use heat daily as I am aware of the damage but I know the temperature to which my hair can handle so I use heat fully knowing the consequences.

Aingeal
December 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I go both ways. ;) I used to flat iron my hair every other day when it was short. Since July, I can say I've flat ironed maybe three times. Unfortunatly, I'm growing out years of damage from flat ironing and using conventional hair dye, so I have constant splits and breaks in my hair. So for me, right now, no heat. It would only make things worse. Once I'm st the length I want to be and have cut off a lot of the damage, I'll be more comfortable using heat a bit more often.n

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm a tubie towel and air dry person. I've used the blow dryer on cool with a heat protector and that's only in the wintertime when I'm sick.

Lyv
December 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I'm not really for or against it. I used to blow dry (high heat) and straighten my hair almost everyday and now I only blow dry maybe once a month (cool shot taped down) and I've only straightened it twice this year. I stopped because I bleached my hair a few times and I don't want to damage it anymore but once that grows out I'll probably straighten every month or so and blow dry a little more often.

Scarlet_Celt
December 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm not totally against heat, but I only use it on rare occasions. I used to straighten my hair when I was younger, but I've grown to appreciate that my hair's natural straight but slightly wavy texture.

SouthernSweetie
December 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Quick question, can anyone tell me why blowdrying on a low and cool setting is damaging? When I put my blowdryer on cool, its just room temp air coming out. As long as its not on high so that your hair is whipping around, why is it bad?

lapushka
December 14th, 2013, 02:21 PM
My hair is put in a turbie towel for 15-20 min. after washing. It comes out of the towel basically damp (no longer soaking). Then it's left to airdry for about an hour to an hour and a half. Then a diffuser is used for about 5 min. (yes 5 min.!) for the whole head, on warm (if you can have your hand in the airstream comfortably without it burning you, then it's just *fine*). That's it.

Lyv
December 14th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Quick question, can anyone tell me why blowdrying on a low and cool setting is damaging? When I put my blowdryer on cool, its just room temp air coming out. As long as its not on high so that your hair is whipping around, why is it bad?

I don't think it is as long as you're gentle. I'd do it more often but it takes forever and I'm too lazy haha.

Isilme
December 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I'm mostly against heat as it makes me warm, blowdrying my hair would result in me having to take a shower again! However I sometimes make a few ringlets for a special occasion.

Kaelee
December 14th, 2013, 02:44 PM
a) it damages hair
b) I'm lazy
c) blowdryers are loud
d) flat irons and curling irons get hot enough to do serious damage, and pretty much everyone I know personally who uses them has at some point burned themselves (sometimes badly) with one of them. Not to mention what they're capable of doing to your hair.

excentricat
December 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I'm anti heat due to sheer laziness. That sounds like a lot of work.

Sterlyn
December 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I use the blowdryer on cool/warm on occasion, it doesn't seem to cause any damage. I never straightened my hair but in the past I did use curling irons, and it turned my ends into crispy critters. After I read that hot tools can sometimes burn silver hair and cause a permanent yellowing, I gave all my curling irons away. If I want curls I'll use the heat free methods.

thirstylocks
December 14th, 2013, 03:23 PM
After bleaching my hair and flat ironing it every time i washed it, my hair got really damaged. I thought it was the heat. 3 years of no bleach and no heat later, my hair is STILL damaged, dry, and unhealthy as ever. Conclusion? My hair just sucks and I might as well straighten it and make it appear nice, because it will be damaged whether or not I use heat.

chen bao jun
December 14th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Not for or against anything. It's your hair, do what you want, its not a crime.
I don't put heat on MY hair anymore because I want to grow it long and bra strap is my limit when I've been flat-ironing/blowdrying, or having a hairdresser do so. Also, my coarse hair starts feeling really rough, over time. I thought my hair was naturally rough because its coarse adn that my terminal length was bra strap, when I was ignorant. but now I have soft curls longer than that. So not going back.

HintOfMint
December 14th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Pros of high heat: The gold standard in styled hair. Gentler techniques (steam curlers, pin curls, wrapping... etc.) produce perfectly nice results, but blowdryers, flat irons and curling irons produce silky smooth perfectly styled hair.
Cons of high heat: DAMAGE CENTRAL

Pros of low heat: seemingly decent compromise in getting style with minimal to no risk of damage. Helpful in drying hair more quickly which is a necessity in cold weather.
Cons of low heat: Not very effective in getting the silky, perfect hair you get from a salon blowout. I've only had it result in a poofy mess which doesn't make it worth the effort. And it is effort.

Pros of no heat/damp bunning: Smooth, lovely results with very natural looking volume and texture. Easy as hell too.
Cons of no heat/damp bunning: can have unpredictable results if put up too wet or too dry.

VixenWolfMare
December 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM
against heat

your hair has water and oil in the center of it. If it get to hot it will boil and geyser out making holes in your hair. whats the point of putting all this effort into your hair just to mess it up. usually using heat makes damage witch can only be masked by using MORE heat.

SouthernSweetie
December 14th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Lyv: I don't use the blowdryer anymore either, but I was just wondering. Haha. I'm too lazy as well! :D

sourgrl
December 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I'm more against than for. The amount of splits, white dots, and breakage I experience with regular heat is enough for me to not use it. When I finally tried working with my hair's natural waves I discovered I can get very similar results without all the work. I won't rule out heat for special occasions as it gives my hair a polished look that I feel certain occasions warrant (ie job interview). But the other 364 days of the year I'll be heat free

MeowScat
December 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm an 80's girl, so blow drying, crimping/curling iron had to be done every day in Junior High and High School. Not to mention the tons of hairspray, mousse and gel. I even had a mullet, and it looked "totally tubular" when it was as big as possible. My hair was fried, and I wondered why...duh! Unfortunately, I kept up with the blow fryer decades after the 80's because going out with wet hair made my limp hair look like I was a drowned rat.

I stopped using the blow fryer a few years ago to save my hair and it feels a million times better and it kept growing and not breaking off. Now I only use it on my bangs once or twice a year (on low and cool temperature) and I hold it about two feet away.

Nae
December 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM
As my grandfather used to say, "I'm agin it."

VixenWolfMare
December 14th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Quick question, can anyone tell me why blowdrying on a low and cool setting is damaging? When I put my blowdryer on cool, its just room temp air coming out. As long as its not on high so that your hair is whipping around, why is it bad?From what I understand it has to do with drying out the hair. you want moisture to stay in the hair and it is best to let your hair dry at a natural rate.

HintOfMint
December 14th, 2013, 04:44 PM
From what I understand it has to do with drying out the hair. you want moisture to stay in the hair and it is best to let your hair dry at a natural rate.

Generally true, but YMMV of course. If I just let my hair dry without any oil/product and loose without damp bunning or touching, then my hair actually ends up feeling a lot dryer than if I put product in it and put it up in damp bun after letting it dry halfway. I think it has to do with keeping the cuticle down as the water is evaporating. That's just my experience. Obviously airdrying is still more gentle than high heat though.

spidermom
December 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
From what I understand it has to do with drying out the hair. you want moisture to stay in the hair and it is best to let your hair dry at a natural rate.

Although I've also run into convincing arguments that, for those of us with porous hair, getting it dry faster is less damaging than leaving it wet as long as it takes to air dry.

Sillage
December 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM
For myself, I'm definitely in favor of low heat-- I use my Sedu hair dryer on low and get no damage at all but my hair looks smoother and feels silkier. I also love not having to wait around with wet hair! It's great :)

ErinLeigh
December 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Although I've also run into convincing arguments that, for those of us with porous hair, getting it dry faster is less damaging than leaving it wet as long as it takes to air dry.

I never heard of that! Must google
i use heat. I have stopped using curling irons and flat irons but use a round brush and a warm blow dryer with a cool shot after each pass. With my layers and porous fine hair I just don't look good with air dryer hair. If I am not going anywhere special ( like just work) I usually blow dry the face framing parts and air dry the rest from damp turbie towel dried hair. It works for me. But I am also not looking to grow to a super length either so that makes a big difference.

Edit. I did use a curling iron for first time in a long time on Friday night. I have a nice burn on my leg to show for it. :) dropped iron right on my thigh while sitting.

As as far as being for or against heat...I am neither. I think it is individual for all. For me though blow drying is a necessity if I want to look styled.

kganihanova
December 15th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Just a little addition :)

I think heat is great for special occasions- no heat methods just aren't the same! I tried no heat curls once and I may have done them wrong but there is something so satisfying about sitting in front of the mirror doing your hair (be it with heat or w/o). I feel like it really adds to the "glam" feeling to be able to heat style.

AmyBeth
December 15th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I stopped blowdrying for about a year and a half and then went to a new stylist for color, and wanted to see the color dried before I left the salon and let her blow it dry. For the next 2-3 months I noticed an incredible increase in splits and white dots. Just not worth it! Now I hendigo and air dry, and when I really want my hair to look "special", I air dry it to about 85% and then damp bun overnight. When I let my hair down, I finger comb it and it looks gorgeous, if I do say so myself, so shiny and full and bouncy. I could never get that kind of look with heat. Between the henna conditioning and all the TLC, I almost never find splits or damage when I S&D.

Bruiser
December 15th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I've never really used it much, I never got the hang of a blow dryer and it just makes my hair texture feel weird and course, and then it would go all frizzy and I would have to used additional heat to flat iron it to smooth it back out. My hair is much softer and shinier when it air dries. I just can't be bothered, not to mention I'm trying to growing out over processed hair so I don't want the damage.

Andeee
December 15th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Other than salon visits (but not recently) I have not used a blow dryer in decades!

lapushka
December 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Agreeing with that. Having it wet longer definitely is a no-go for me. If it takes 5 min. with a blowdryer for it to be dry, then so be it. What harm could there possibly be in that? Besides, as long as you can hold your hand in the airstream without it feeling like it burns, then it's just *fine* for you to blowdry with, and will do no harm to the hair whatsoever. We've used a diffuser here for literally *years* and I have no splits, no white dots. No damage.

ExpectoPatronum
December 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I'm usually against heat, but I've recently moved to a climate where it's cold and really humid. This means my hair takes absolutely forever to dry. I mainly diffuse my hair if I wash later in the night because I don't like sleeping on wet hair. I usually diffuse on the cool setting, but sometimes I start with warm if I'm cold and switch to cool after a couple minutes. I ALWAYS diffuse on low. I do it until my hair is about halfway dry. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes (made fun if you play some music or sing :D) and it cuts a good few hours off of my drying time. My curls look much nicer if I diffuse and my hair doesn't dry as frizzy either. To be honest, I think letting my hair air dry takes more effort on my part. I'm more tempted to touch it and fix it when it's wet and I have to constantly be mindful of where I'm resting my head because I don't want to flatten the wave on the back of my head.

If I shower in the morning or noon and have nowhere to be especially soon, I'll usually let my hair air dry.

One thing is for certain though...I avoid flat irons like the plague. Diffusing is my one "heat vice" :P

Arciela
December 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM
After blow drying and straightening my hair for 3 years it became...well, terrible! It was so thin and split :( I cut it slowly and now its nearly BSL and heat free. After seeing what heat did to my hair I am afraid of it..haha. I gave away my flat iron, blow dryer, etc. Now my hair looks better then it did when I used heat and I barely do anything to it! It took a LOOOOT of patience though...for like a year and a half my hair looked awful. (Understatement)

Also heat is more work for me and I am lazy :flower:

SouthernSweetie
December 15th, 2013, 02:47 PM
From reading all the replies to my question, I think if I am feeling like I want to look "polished," I will probably use the 'cool' or 'warm' setting on my blowdryer for my bangs and to hurry the drying process along for the rest of my hair. Hmm. I'm thinking I need to experiement! :eyebrows:

spidermom
December 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Agreeing with that. Having it wet longer definitely is a no-go for me. If it takes 5 min. with a blowdryer for it to be dry, then so be it. What harm could there possibly be in that? Besides, as long as you can hold your hand in the airstream without it feeling like it burns, then it's just *fine* for you to blowdry with, and will do no harm to the hair whatsoever. We've used a diffuser here for literally *years* and I have no splits, no white dots. No damage.

I was told to direct the air at my neck. If not too hot there, it's fine for hair.

Heat for me means blow-drying or hot rollers. I'm not using a flat iron, except on my bangs occasionally. I'll never use a curling iron again.

Foxylocks
December 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM
To be honest, I have never touched a blowdryer, straightening or curling iron ever before in my life. I am against heat because of the damage (i guess) it could impose.

LadyLongLocks
December 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I like to use the blow dryer, especially in the winter. I only use warm and cool. I personally hate having wet hair and I need to dry it fast. I do 4 to 5 small drying sessions. I never had damage from gentle heat.

RainbowBowser
December 15th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I'm against heat (for the most part, I still use it occasionally) because straightening my hair everyday fried it. My hair would not exceed BSL because it just kept breaking off.