PDA

View Full Version : Tried calculating my ponytail circumference :)

Flame3345
December 14th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Hey everyone ^^ when I washed my hair today, I divided it into two partings and then I measured each part and got 6 cm from each ponytail :) and now I just tried to calculate the circumference of both ponytails put together, and I got:
4.105762331 inches (10.2644058275 cms) Could that be right? or have I miscalculated? :) Please help ^^

I always thought my hair was 9 cms thick (but I have never grown all of my layers long enough to reach the same ponytail before) :)

Eichan
December 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I would think that, as they would just add together if they were all one length, that you could just add up the circumference.

Like, if you have a 5 inch pony, and you remove a section thst measures two inches in circumference, it'd make sense to me that the remaining hair would be 3 inches in circumference.

Buuuut, I always fail at any math regarding curves or circles in general, so...

Anje
December 14th, 2013, 09:28 AM
No, you can't just add them. Sorry. If you want, you can calculate the area of your ponytails, add those, and then calculate the circumference of a circle that diameter.

ETA: I'm getting about 8.5cm (3.3 inches) circumference for you, OP, assuming I'm punching the buttons on an unfamiliar calculator in the right order. :-P

Magalo
December 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I would think that, as they would just add together if they were all one length, that you could just add up the circumference.

Like, if you have a 5 inch pony, and you remove a section thst measures two inches in circumference, it'd make sense to me that the remaining hair would be 3 inches in circumference.

It doesn't work that way. You can add diameters together but not circumferences.

Flame3345
December 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Aha ^^ Thank you :) (I always used to think like that too :) )

No, you can't just add them. Sorry. If you want, you can calculate the area of your ponytails, add those, and then calculate the circumference of a circle that diameter.

ETA: I'm getting about 8.5cm (3.3 inches) circumference for you, OP, assuming I'm punching the buttons on an unfamiliar calculator in the right order. :-P

Thank you ^^ Well I don't know ^^ I can easily reach 9 cms in circumference when I put it in just one ponytail :) So I thought it seemed plausible? :)
When I calculated, I used the areas, pi and everything, so I hope it's correct :) (But I don't know ^^ )

Flournoy
December 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I also calculate around 8.5 or 9 cm but hey your hair will be long enough to measure soon enough anyway

Flame3345
December 14th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I also calculate around 8.5 or 9 cm but hey your hair will be long enough to measure soon enough anyway
That's true :) And I can't wait until I can ^^ (I can easily reach around 8-9 cms and then there's A LOT of layers left :) )

Flame3345
December 14th, 2013, 12:46 PM
That's true :) And I can't wait until I can ^^ (I can easily reach around 8-9 cms and then there's A LOT of layers left :) )

biogirl87
December 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I also calculate around 8.5 or 9 cm but hey your hair will be long enough to measure soon enough anywayFlournoy, I also get about 8.5 cm circumference of ponytail when I do the calculation.

Flame, I do not remember who helped me figure this out, but the easiest way of figuring out the circumference of your ponytail when you have several sections (like when you have the main part of your and bangs) is this:

1. Measure the circumference of each individual section.
2. Square the individual circumferences.
3. Add the results from step #2 together.
4. Take the square root of the number you get in step #3.

In your case this would be:

1. Each of your sections has a circumference of 6 cm.
2. The circumference of each section squared would be 36 cm squared.
3. Adding the numbers we get in step #2 (36 + 36), we get 72 cm squared as the total circumference.
4. Now, if take the square root of the number we get in step #3 (if we take the square root of 72), we get 8.485......, which we can round to 8.5 cm as the circumference of your ponytail when you grow your layers.

YamaMaya
December 14th, 2013, 03:15 PM
uh...I just measure my pony at the back of my head...:p

Flame3345
December 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Flournoy, I also get about 8.5 cm circumference of ponytail when I do the calculation.

Flame, I do not remember who helped me figure this out, but the easiest way of figuring out the circumference of your ponytail when you have several sections (like when you have the main part of your and bangs) is this:

1. Measure the circumference of each individual section.
2. Square the individual circumferences.
3. Add the results from step #2 together.
4. Take the square root of the number you get in step #3.

In your case this would be:

1. Each of your sections has a circumference of 6 cm.
2. The circumference of each section squared would be 36 cm squared.
3. Adding the numbers we get in step #2 (36 + 36), we get 72 cm squared as the total circumference.
4. Now, if take the square root of the number we get in step #3 (if we take the square root of 72), we get 8.485......, which we can round to 8.5 cm as the circumference of your ponytail when you grow your layers.

Thank you so much! :) now i know what to do he next time :) i kept getting that too but then i tried another way and got that calculation :) but i guess it's just because of my layers not reaching the ponytails :)
Thank you so much for showing me how to do the calculation! :)

biogirl87
December 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM
uh...I just measure my pony at the back of my head...:pYamaMaya, that is usually the easiest way to measure the circumference of your ponytail. For those of us who have bangs that cannot go into a ponytail, we have to do two little ponytails (one for bangs, one for the main part of the hair) and measure the circumference of each ponytail separately and then use the method I described to figure out the total circumference.

biogirl87
December 14th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much! :) now i know what to do he next time :) i kept getting that too but then i tried another way and got that calculation :) but i guess it's just because of my layers not reahing the ponytails :)
Thank you so much for showing me how to do the calculation! :)Flame, you are very welcome. As I said, someone on LHC had to should me how to calculate the circumference of my ponytail and even then I had to ask then if they could do the calculation of the ponytail circumference for me.

Flame3345
February 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Now I finally have a picture to show my ponytail ^^ The circumference is 8 cm when I measure behind the hair tie, So the thickness is definitely growing down ^^ (having been at 9-10 cm prior to having my hair cut off ^^)
(Note: I've colored the underneath of my hair with henna ^^)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9141&d=1391900565

Crimgirl
February 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Okay, new here - how do you measure your ponytail circumference?

RedRavenCurls58
February 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM
Hi, Crimgirl! Welcome to LHC! I believe that you measure can measure ponytail circumference by just putting your hair in a ponytail, making it as snug as you can. Then, you can use a tape measure to measure around the hair tie.