PDA

View Full Version : Ruined my hair, need help

moniquerenaud
December 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Major problem!! So the other day my mom brought me home this shampoo bar. I used it and after my hair felt like crap..it was so odd feeling hard to explain but almost like gunky and filmy? I did the vinegar rinse though! I had to wash my hair soo many different times today to make it manageable but it's still not back to my normal, silky smooth hair and I don't know what to do :( I even used my Nioxin shampoo which is strong so I kinda use it as a clarifyer! What do I do???? And what did I do wrong? Could this be because I had coconut oil in as a overnight prewash? I just want my hair back to normal again.

Here are the ingredients of the bar: OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE OIL), AQUA (WATER), ELAEIS GUINEENSIS (PALM OIL), SODIUM HYDROXIDE (LYE), PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO OIL), BUTYSPERMUM PARKI (SHEA BUTTER) FRUIT, EGG YOLK, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF OIL, MELALEUCA ALTERNIFOLIA ( TEA TREE) OIL, CITRUS PARADIS (GRAPEFRUIT) OIL, SILK (TUSSAH)

Madora
December 14th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Sounds like way too much stuff on your hair. Use a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti Residue has gotten good reviews here) and follow up with a conditioning treatment.

Ditch the shampoo bar.

Find a gentle shampoo and use it. Follow with a conditioner. Try diluting each (a little) when you use them.

Lay off the coconut oil as an overnight prewash UNTIL after you see the results from using ONLY shampoo and conditioner and are satisfied with them.

Too many products (not to mention too much hair washing in one day) is bound to play havoc with your mane. Good luck!

spidermom
December 14th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Sounds like way too much stuff on your hair. Use a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti Residue has gotten good reviews here) and follow up with a conditioning treatment.

Ditch the shampoo bar.

Find a gentle shampoo and use it. Follow with a conditioner. Try diluting each (a little) when you use them.

Lay off the coconut oil as an overnight prewash UNTIL after you see the results from using ONLY shampoo and conditioner and are satisfied with them.

Too many products (not to mention too much hair washing in one day) is bound to play havoc with your mane. Good luck!

This would be my advice, too.

Weemomma
December 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM
I agree. My first thought was too much oil looking at ingredients plus coconut. This has been my experience with just using the coconut oil one time. It's frustrating! But know that eventually it will all come out and your hair will return to normal.

Kaelee
December 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Shea butter doesn't play nice with my hair at all.

Sounds like too much oil I think, as well. I agree with the others.

kganihanova
December 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Shea butter doesn't play nice with my hair at all.

Sounds like too much oil I think, as well. I agree with the others.

My hair HATES butters. Bring on the oils but butters? Nah, it gets sticky and tangly.

patienceneeded
December 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM
That's how my hair reacts to shampoo bars too, even with a vinegar rinse. Shea Butter is also problematic for me.

Clarify and deep condition. If still icky, do it again on your next wash. Shampoo Bars and Butters are not for everyone.

meteor
December 14th, 2013, 09:35 AM
I agree with previous posts.

Also, just try to switch back to your usual products, the recovery may take some time, but don't wash too much right now - hydral fatigue and SLS overload are no fun for hair.

And after every wash, do a diluted lemon rinse or diluted vinegar rinse. The lye and the oils probably overloaded your hair, and acidic rinses are great for that.

snakes&stuff
December 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM
My hair can't stand olive oil. Have you ever used straight evoo before? I had that same gunky filmy texture when I used it.

moniquerenaud
December 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Your posts were all helpful! I think Ill wait till tomorrow to shower again to give my hair a chance to relax, and then Ill use a clarifying shampoo and deep condition