PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair/scalp + styling my hair.

RootsOfMyHair
December 14th, 2013, 02:11 AM
Hello all.
I've got 1b\m\i hair, armpit length.
I used to wash it daily (I know, I know), I'm using shampoo and conditioner that are SLS free and taking Biotin.
Problem is, it's winter now, and it's too cold to wash it often, so I try to avoid it as much as I can. And it gets oily, and it ain't pretty.
What can I do? I truly prefer to wash it much less.

Also, I've got motor dyspraxia, which means, if I simplify it, that's I'm very clumsy. I can't even braid my own hair. Any tips for clumsy hands?

Thanks in advance. :D

MeowScat
December 14th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Have you tried dry shampoo? How about a scalp wash? Bun the length into a shower cap held with an elastic, but pull the bun away from your scalp, so you can get the shampoo and your fingers through the first few inches of hair. I swear by scalp washes, they have saved my length a lot of damage from everyday washes. My hair gets oily in less than a day. :(

Almendra
December 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I have a oily scalp too. Dry shampoo is a good option for most of people, but you can also try alternative methods of wash, like CO (Conditioner only) or WO (Water only) to strech your washes. There's a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56574&highlight=streching) for people who want wash their hair not so often. I'm currently trying CO and I feel an adjust in my scalp (you have to be very patient).
To style your hair when it's greasy, I highly recommend you french braids. I have clumsy hands too but you'll need a little of practice and patience.

YamaMaya
December 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cinnibun is just about the easiest bun, just twist the hair till it twists on itself, secure with a spin pin or two and it will hold all day :D

Firefox7275
December 15th, 2013, 06:16 AM
SLS is only one of a number of surfactants that can strip or irritate the scalp and cause excess sebum production. All the sulphates can be irritant, as well as many other anionics especially the olefin sulfonates, anything neutral to alkaline in pH.

Dry shampoo is definitely a good option, as is reviewing your diet to help reduce sebum production and balance hormones.

RootsOfMyHair
December 15th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Thank you all. I will try water only. I just have a question- what is a "dry shampoo"?

Naiadryade
December 15th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Here are some ways I style my hair when it's been several days since wash day and I want to keep pushing it, but the greasies are taking over:

-Braids. I know you said you can't do them, but do you have anyone who could braid your hair for you? You really can't tell if hair in a braid is greasy, for me it just makes my braids less fuzzy. :p Sometimes I will wear a cute hat with my braids.
-Heatless curls! I don't know about you, but my greasy hair has a tendency to "clump," which on straight or slightly-wavy hair just looks dirty, but is a good thing for the appearance of curls.
-Buns. Just hide it away. Smooth the crown/canopy hair down well and it just looks sleek. Or again, pair a cute hat with a low bun.

LauraLongLocks
December 15th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Dry shampoo comes in an aerosol can and sprays a powder that absorbs oil. You point it at your roots and spray so that they aren't oily.

katiebeans
December 17th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Dry shampoo comes in an aerosol can and sprays a powder that absorbs oil. You point it at your roots and spray so that they aren't oily.

This :) you can find em at any drug store. I like to make my own using a mixture of cornstarch and coco powder. Get a little on your fingers, flip your head upside down, then apply to the roots and finger comb through the ends.

I've never tried this, but I know some people stretch their washes by diluting their shampoo, a capful or two in a bottle full of water. If you have hard water you might want to use distilled or pre-boiled when diluting your shampoo.

PorcelainHorror
December 17th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Also using white rice flower makes a wonderful dry shampoo. Better than any actual dry shampoo I have purchased.

RootsOfMyHair
December 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I don't think we have a dry shampoo in my country, but I'll look for it, thanks.

starlamelissa
December 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Just wash it as often as it gets overly oily. Lots of long hairs wash each day, it's not necessarily bad for hair.

Another option is just washing your scalp, and keeping your hair out of the stream of water.

heidi w.
December 18th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I recommend washing every third day AND conditioning the length ONLY. From the earlobes on down. This is possible even in winter. When you've got too much gunk built up on the hair, then clarify. Clarify as needed, not on schedule.

For styling the hair, my biggest tip is: watch the fingers, especially the thumbs. It's not what your whole hand is doing, it's what individual fingers/thumbs are doing when.

heidi w.