PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about leave-ins!

ejking2
December 13th, 2013, 06:01 PM
What do you use as a leave-in? A natural oil or butter? A man-made product? Your regular conditioner? Something else altogether?

What have you used and didn't like? What do you want to try?

I've used argan oil, camellia oil, and mineral oil. They work okay at sealing moisture in and making my hair manageable. I've used normal wash-out conditioner a few times but I don't really like it. Lately I'm liking Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion. I bought a small sample size bottle on a whim. I use a pea-sized amount on damp hair after a wash and it makes my hair really smooth, soft, shiny and easy to detangle.

The next thing I'll try will be Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk. I bought a bottle when Sally had a BOGO hair products sale.

Rio040113
December 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Usually just a couple of drops of avocado oil and vitamin e oil smoothed over while my hair is still damp but with the cold winter air drying my hair out lately, I've been layering a tiny bit of shea butter over the top as well :) good results so far!

I used to use coconut oil, I did like it but I prefer it as a pre-wash nowadays. I'm pretty happy with my current routine, nothing I want to try urgently I don't think...

ETA - I've also tried mineral oil and it was alright, didn't love it, didn't hate it.

Mayflower
December 13th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Either a bit of coconut oil when my hair's still damp, and/or R&B leave-in from Lush when it's damp or dry, mainly because it smells heavenly.

ejking2
December 13th, 2013, 06:32 PM
A bit of shea butter over the top does seem like a good way to combat winter dryness. I like coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment too. I'll often use a tiny bit between washes on dry hair, like one would use a serum, but I don't put it on wet or damp hair.

Mayflower, I looked up the R&B leave-in ingredients and I bet it does smell fantastic. I simply adore jasmine!

Rio040113
December 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
A bit of shea butter over the top does seem like a good way to combat winter dryness. I like coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment too. I'll often use a tiny bit between washes on dry hair, like one would use a serum, but I don't put it on wet or damp hair.

It's been doing a great job so far and it smells awesome, it's angel food cake 'flavor' :D I'm curious to see if it'll become too heavy for my fine hair come summer though, it's meant to be a good natural UV protector, (I think anyway), so I'd love to use it for that too. I'm pretty fair skinned and last summer I went for a walk around town one day with DBF and his friend, in the space of less than 2 hours (in and out of shops as well) my scalp burnt pretty badly and a sore, bright red, peeling scalp is no ones friend! :lol:

I used to quite like coconut oil on damp hair but I love it on dry hair as a pre-wash and like you said in between washes sometimes as well. I usually do my pre-wash soak overnight with it :)

tbonita
December 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Since my hair has no length and can only handle a miniscule drop of oil, I've been using a dove argan spray whose ingredients aren't too bad. It's light and easy and gives the right amount of moisture to my pixie. I usually just oil pre-shampoo at night.

BlueGold
December 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I use mega growth protein enriched break free leave in. I love it! It has shea, avocado and olive oil and follow it up with a little bit of coconut oil. I'm happy with this routine except when I go outside with my hair still damp and this stuff in my hair freezes together in clumps.:doh: So now I stay away from the outside while my hair's drying. Other than that it's amazing.

snakes&stuff
December 13th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I use my CO conditioner (suave naturals tropical coconut) as a leave in. I also use vitamin e oil & Shea moisture reconstructive finishing elixir. I'm thinking about switching to a different conditioner when the bottle I have runs out, because I'm pretty sure my hair is protein sensitive.

lunalocks
December 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM
I have stopped using conditioner after washing (I use it on the ends prior to washing) and soak ends and rinse all with catnip tea, and leave it in. Then 2 drops of mineral oil on the ends. This really, truly, prevents split ends.

ejking2
December 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I use mega growth protein enriched break free leave in. I love it! It has shea, avocado and olive oil and follow it up with a little bit of coconut oil. I'm happy with this routine except when I go outside with my hair still damp and this stuff in my hair freezes together in clumps.:doh: So now I stay away from the outside while my hair's drying. Other than that it's amazing.

I might have to try a leave-in with protein sometime.
I've gone out in the cold with damp hair and had it freeze before. That was before I found LHC. Now I would never let my hair freeze since I imagine it could do quite a bit of damage.

I noticed a couple of you mentioned vitamin E oil, so does anyone know the benefit of this for hair? I've heard it's good for skin but don't know why.

lunalocks, I'm glad that is working so well for you. Sadly my hair hates catnip with a passion.

hanne jensen
December 14th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I use Phyto protein treatment. I also use shea butter in the winter and coconut oil in the summer. I'll use L'oreal total repair leave in spray if I notice a few splits.

sarahthegemini
December 14th, 2013, 04:38 AM
After a brief spell of not using a leave-in, i'm back to using one again. I use Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume as it has a fair bit of protein and my fine hair loves protein.

Lyv
December 15th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Sometimes I use my regular conditioner (suave naturals) or I use my toadstool leave in which I don't actually like but I keep hoping it'll work since it smells wonderful. I really need to find something else asap. I've tried oils but my hair doesn't like them unless it's a prewash treatment.

lapushka
December 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM
2 things, a regular leave-in lotion and a coney serum.

For regular (lotiony) leave-in:

- got2b smooth operator (in the past, can't get this anymore where I live)
- Pantene Naturefusion leave-ins (2 varieties, which I both have)

For serum:

- IC Fantasia (green one with olive oil, one for frizzy hair, regular (white) one)
- Chi Silk Infusion serum (gets goopy after a while -> not something I'd recommend, plus: pricy)

kganihanova
December 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
coconut oil :) its all I need!