PDA

View Full Version : Thick hair and waist length - Bun suggestions?

Almendra
December 13th, 2013, 02:01 PM
My hair is very thick (5.1 in / 12 cm thickness of ponytail) and not very long (29 in / 75 cm, waist lenght).
I've been practicing many types of buns and some of them seem to work, but I only can get them really tight and they give me headaches. I can do a disc, an orchid and a pha bun, but all of them look kinda messy (I have a deep V hemline).
The only one I could achieve very well is a cinnabun. I tried a top braided cinnabun and it work more or less, but I would like to do a nautilus bun o things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ruZQ8FNAw), and I can't. For people with thick hair... at what lenght were you able to do things like that? What could you suggest me to avoid the boredom about my hair, since I'm a newbie in updos?

Thank you :)

kganihanova
December 13th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Disc buns! :)

Madora
December 13th, 2013, 03:26 PM
The secret to wearing thick hair is to section it. Here's how to do a simple braided bun:

1. Detangle all your hair gently with a wide tooth comb.
2. Comb it back from your forehead so that there is no part.
3. Using your comb, make a horizontal part from the tip of your right ear, across the back of your head, to the top of your left ear.
4. Take all the hair ABOVE the part and comb it out so that there are no tangles
5. Then take the combed out hair and braid it loosely to the end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
6. Take the braid, and holding it flat against your scalp, make a coil. Pin with hairpins (not bobby pins) around the bun. Tuck in tassel under bun.
7. Take remaining hair, detangle, then braid loosely and tie off with elastic.
8. Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made. Tuck in tassel. Voila...one double braided bun.

Special note for step # 7...In order to start the braid as close to the bun as possible, you might want to bend down and braid the hair instead of standing erect.

Be sure not to braid tightly. You should be able to put a finger between where the braid starts and your scalp.

This sectioning procedure can be done with rope braids, twists, twists with accents and can be used as the basis for the Cameo bun.

Alemendra, as far as the bun in your link, the lady has hair that looks longer than waist. If you find that your thick hair prohibits you from doing the style, why don't you compromise thus:

Put your hair in a ponytail (do not pull it tightly!)
Part the ponytail near the top (say a third or so) and pin it up on top of your head so it is out of the way
Take the remaining hair and create the style in the video (pinning with hairpins or hairsticks)
Take the hair that is pinned on top of your head and comb it out.
Make two sections and gently rope (twist) them together.
Take the roped hair and wind around bun around made.

Hope this helps. Please be sure to detangle before creating your buns...and for the sake of your hair, never have tight buns.

Charybdis
December 13th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Hi, Almendra, I'm a iii with less hair than you (pony circ. about 4.25"), and my hair is currently at around 30". It wasn't until a few months ago that I could do a nautilus bun without sectioning off some of the hair at the nape of my neck and then winding that around the base of the bun after I made a bun with the rest of the hair. I'm guessing my hair was at least 27", maybe 28", before I could do a nautilus with all of my hair at once. I can still tell that it will be easier to make a nice-looking nautilus when I have a few more inches of length. You may find that another 2"-3" of length is enough to make the nautilus work without sectioning.

Almendra
December 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Disc buns! :)

I tried the disc bun already. It looks very messy in my hair, though.

The secret to wearing thick hair is to section it. Here's how to do a simple braided bun:

1. Detangle all your hair gently with a wide tooth comb.
2. Comb it back from your forehead so that there is no part.
3. Using your comb, make a horizontal part from the tip of your right ear, across the back of your head, to the top of your left ear.
4. Take all the hair ABOVE the part and comb it out so that there are no tangles
5. Then take the combed out hair and braid it loosely to the end. Fasten with hair friendly elastic.
6. Take the braid, and holding it flat against your scalp, make a coil. Pin with hairpins (not bobby pins) around the bun. Tuck in tassel under bun.
7. Take remaining hair, detangle, then braid loosely and tie off with elastic.
8. Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made. Tuck in tassel. Voila...one double braided bun.

Special note for step # 7...In order to start the braid as close to the bun as possible, you might want to bend down and braid the hair instead of standing erect.

Be sure not to braid tightly. You should be able to put a finger between where the braid starts and your scalp.

This sectioning procedure can be done with rope braids, twists, twists with accents and can be used as the basis for the Cameo bun.

Alemendra, as far as the bun in your link, the lady has hair that looks longer than waist. If you find that your thick hair prohibits you from doing the style, why don't you compromise thus:

Put your hair in a ponytail (do not pull it tightly!)
Part the ponytail near the top (say a third or so) and pin it up on top of your head so it is out of the way
Take the remaining hair and create the style in the video (pinning with hairpins or hairsticks)
Take the hair that is pinned on top of your head and comb it out.
Make two sections and gently rope (twist) them together.
Take the roped hair and wind around bun around made.

Hope this helps. Please be sure to detangle before creating your buns...and for the sake of your hair, never have tight buns.

Thank you so much Madora, I'll try this for sure. My scalp was getting tired of all those tight buns I've tried last week.
I start to use my hair up more often to protect it and I really prefer buns more than braids. I love the thickness of my hair, but, is really hard to deal with it. At this lenght my braids are very thick and APL, and it looks very weird :p

Hi, Almendra, I'm a iii with less hair than you (pony circ. about 4.25"), and my hair is currently at around 30". It wasn't until a few months ago that I could do a nautilus bun without sectioning off some of the hair at the nape of my neck and then winding that around the base of the bun after I made a bun with the rest of the hair. I'm guessing my hair was at least 27", maybe 28", before I could do a nautilus with all of my hair at once. I can still tell that it will be easier to make a nice-looking nautilus when I have a few more inches of length. You may find that another 2"-3" of length is enough to make the nautilus work without sectioning.

I guess I have to wait then... I wonder if nautilus and this style of buns in general are more easy to do with a blunt hemline, because I'm trying to microtrim more often to achieve that.

Anje
December 13th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Definitely check out the vortex bun -- it'll lie flatter than a cinnamon bun, if nothing else.

Like Madora describes, you can always do a half-up bun, then wrap the bottom half around it. It looks nice, and since you're only working with part of your hair at a time, the thickness doesn't eat up the length so much.

Almendra
December 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Definitely check out the vortex bun -- it'll lie flatter than a cinnamon bun, if nothing else.

Like Madora describes, you can always do a half-up bun, then wrap the bottom half around it. It looks nice, and since you're only working with part of your hair at a time, the thickness doesn't eat up the length so much.

I thought I needed a blunt hemline for a vortex bun :confused: I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I washed my hair yesterday and it isn't in a mood for updos :/

lapushka
December 14th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I have 4.25" circumference and at waist my hair is "just" long enough for a cinnabun, and a lazy wrap bun. Funnily enough a cinnabun (for which I need more hair) is looser than a lazy wrap (for which I have more than enough hair).

I need much more length for a nautilus (at least hip).

Charybdis
December 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I have 4.25" circumference and at waist my hair is "just" long enough for a cinnabun, and a lazy wrap bun. Funnily enough a cinnabun (for which I need more hair) is looser than a lazy wrap (for which I have more than enough hair).

I need much more length for a nautilus (at least hip).

Hmm. Maybe what I think is a nautilus is really a lazy wrap...?

Scarlet_Celt
December 14th, 2013, 02:10 PM
My hair is very thick (5.1 in / 12 cm thickness of ponytail) and not very long (29 in / 75 cm, waist lenght).
I've been practicing many types of buns and some of them seem to work, but I only can get them really tight and they give me headaches. I can do a disc, an orchid and a pha bun, but all of them look kinda messy (I have a deep V hemline).
The only one I could achieve very well is a cinnabun. I tried a top braided cinnabun and it work more or less, but I would like to do a nautilus bun o things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ruZQ8FNAw), and I can't. For people with thick hair... at what lenght were you able to do things like that? What could you suggest me to avoid the boredom about my hair, since I'm a newbie in updos?

Thank you :)

I have the same problem with the thickness of my hair giving me grief with bun styles, but I think it's really just a matter of taking the advice others have suggested in order to achieve these buns. I know Torrin Paige has an excellent video explaining how to work with extremely thick hair. My hair is currently just past tailbone length and I'm still nowhere near long enough to do a nautilus bun. I'm pretty certain the video you linked to is showcasing extremely long hair. If you watch her other videos you can see that her hair is almost knee length. I guess we'll just both have to be patient in the meantime! :)

lapushka
December 14th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hmm. Maybe what I think is a nautilus is really a lazy wrap...?

This is a lazy wrap to me :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24

Charybdis
December 15th, 2013, 04:40 AM
OK, I looked at this and then a nautilus tutorial, and what I'm doing is definitely a nautilus (at least using Habioku's classifications) -- the trick is that I make the loop for the nautilus using only 2 fingers instead of my whole hand, and then I pull just enough additional hair through into the loop that I can spread it out and fasten the whole thing with a stick that holds through the center. Due to my thickness, I can only make just over 1 complete turn around the base of the loop, which makes it easy to pull just enough length through into the loop that I can spread it out and fasten it. If I had enough length to make more turns around the base of the loop, then the hair would be too tightly wound for me to pull more length into the loop and I would have to make the loop bigger to start with (by using my whole hand instead of 2 fingers).

Did any of that make sense? I can get a really secure and comfy bun with this method, but I can already tell that I will have to adjust my technique as my length increases.

lapushka
December 15th, 2013, 08:55 AM
OK, I looked at this and then a nautilus tutorial, and what I'm doing is definitely a nautilus (at least using Habioku's classifications) -- the trick is that I make the loop for the nautilus using only 2 fingers instead of my whole hand, and then I pull just enough additional hair through into the loop that I can spread it out and fasten the whole thing with a stick that holds through the center. Due to my thickness, I can only make just over 1 complete turn around the base of the loop, which makes it easy to pull just enough length through into the loop that I can spread it out and fasten it. If I had enough length to make more turns around the base of the loop, then the hair would be too tightly wound for me to pull more length into the loop and I would have to make the loop bigger to start with (by using my whole hand instead of 2 fingers).

Did any of that make sense? I can get a really secure and comfy bun with this method, but I can already tell that I will have to adjust my technique as my length increases.

That definitely made sense. You can make a nautilus however you want, whether you use your whole hand to loop or a few fingers doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things!

Naiadryade
December 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Well my thickness is only 4", but I'm also only just reaching waist now with my longest scraggly ends. I love the idea of doing a nautilus with 2 fingers, I'm going to try it! I've always been somewhat flabbergasted by trying to do it with a whole hand--that pretty much eats up almost all the length just in the loop.

Since I was just past BSL or so--so you should hopefully be able to do them at waist even with the extra thickness--my go-to buns have been a seashell bun and an infinity bun. Maybe those you won't need to section your hair for!

ETA: Actually, it looks like that might be a seashell bun in your signature, so maybe you already figured that one out.

TiaKitty
December 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Then there's always double buns, one above the other... that looks cool.

I like the LWB and it is my go-to... I'm not as thick as you, though. I do it high on my head, and that seems to help, too.