PDA

View Full Version : I made my first herb-infused hair oil!

tbonita
December 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I took half jojoba, half EVOO (just the oils I had on hand) and took a vast quantity of amla, bhringraj, and brahmi powders and mixed them up. They probably took up like half the container. I left in a cool dark place for over a week, shaking occasionally.

Then I rigged up a nylon stocking draining system where I took a large plastic take-out container and attached the foot of a panty hose over, poured the oil/herb mix in the foot of the stocking, and let it drip out for a few days. The sludge left in the stocking had NO oil left in; I squeezed to make sure. I discarded the sludge. What's left is a slightly darkish herbally potent oil. I can't wait to use it on my scalp and hair as an overnight treatment! I wanted an oil with these things in but all of the ones I found mostly contained mineral oil, which my hair does not like. So I did it myself - with 2 of my favorite oils! I'm not worried about it darkening my hair as it's already dark red.

I hope I was clear. If anyone has any critiques or input to my method feel free... I didn't make all that much and have herbs left over so I plan on making it again! My family was making fun of my 'science project' ... Especially the panty hose/black sludge portion ;)

Shatam1
December 12th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Good for you:) I bet it is going to be wonderful for your hair..I made many different concoctions resembling yours and they all work really well on skin and hair. In the summer I collect lavender flowers from my garden and dip it in almond oil for at least three weeks, in a cool dark place then when it is ready I squeeze the oil out and use it however I want. You can also try adding henna to your Amla and mix them in mustard oil put them in a warm place or even heat it up in a double boiler then after a few weeks do the squeezing process and use it on your hair. This is actually excellent for hair growth and it leaves a nice red color on hair..enjoy :hifive

Sillage
December 12th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Glad you had success Tbonita! I would rec leaving the herbs in the oil even longer and maybe consider using heat. Crock pots are fantastic for making infused oils but double boilers work too, like Shatam1 mentioned. Hope you keep the thread updated with how your oil works!

tbonita
December 13th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Thanks ladies! I can't wait to toy with more recipes. I have a crock pot, too. I'll keep you updated on how the oil works out! :)