PDA

View Full Version : Best way possible to keep hair from tangling? Help?

Leslieslsa
December 12th, 2013, 05:31 PM
So my hair is BCL and thick. When I am inside I tend to wear it in a side braid or down to reduce the friction. But I live in the Chicagoland area and the cold weather is not kind here, so I have to wear a coat, hat, and scarf. If I put it in a ponytail underneath, it is always really tangly when I take all the winter clothes off. Even if I braid it underneath, it still rubs and gets knotty. My hair is very healthy but it still gets tangled when its underneath all of my winter clothes. I am trying to find a solution to this so I am not finger combing my hair for like fifteen minutes every time I come back in the house. I am still struggling with bun making, but is that the best route? Will it fit under my hat? I don't want to expose my hair to the cold climate, that is why I tuck it in.

lapushka
December 12th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I think finally learning how to make a bun will help you majorly! Braids sometimes aren't the right way to go about things.

animetor7
December 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
I agree I think that in this case buns are your best bet. Have you tried cinnamon buns? They're pretty and hold well, and if you secure them with pins or mini claw clips then they fit nicely under hats provided the hat has space for more than just your head. :)

Madora
December 12th, 2013, 06:40 PM
No guarantee about tangles but here is how Dr. George Michael wrote about wearing long hair during winter:

Detangle the hair, divide it in two sections. Take the section on the left and bring it around the back of your neck so that it lays down on the right side of your chest.

Take the remaining portion, bring it around the back of your neck, so that it lays flat down the left side of your chest. You are basically crossing your hair in the back, and letting each portion lie on your chest. This style is comfortable, and more importantly, protective. If you are still having tangle troubles, you could band each side with a couple of hair friendly elastics.

Leslieslsa
December 12th, 2013, 07:19 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8196&d=1386900901

I figured out a bun!

Madora
December 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8196&d=1386900901

I figured out a bun!

Very pretty! See, you could do it!

DweamGoiL
December 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Ooooh, pretty bun!

GrowingOut
December 13th, 2013, 04:32 AM
That bun is thick and GORGEOUS!

duchess67
December 13th, 2013, 04:41 AM
That bun is beautiful!

Aingeal
December 13th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Beautiful bun!

jacqueline101
December 13th, 2013, 04:52 AM
No guarantee about tangles but here is how Dr. George Michael wrote about wearing long hair during winter:

Detangle the hair, divide it in two sections. Take the section on the left and bring it around the back of your neck so that it lays down on the right side of your chest.
Take the remaining portion, bring it around the back of your neck, so that it lays flat down the left side of your chest. You are basically crossing your hair in the back, and letting each portion lie on your chest. This style is comfortable, and more importantly, protective. If you are still having tangle troubles, you could band each side with a couple of hair friendly elastics.

This sounds interesting. I'm having tangle troubles myself. I'm only bsl well 2 inches from it.

ladyfey
December 13th, 2013, 06:11 AM
I like newsboy caps or tam caps to go over my bun in the winter time. Both have room for my head and a bun. I also love snoods, which I will wear all day, inside or out!

lapushka
December 13th, 2013, 07:32 AM
That is not bad for a first attempt at bunning the hair! I'm impressed! :D

Anje
December 13th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Nice bun! They're definitely the way to go, too.

Just about any bun you can make with loose hair, you can make starting with a braid. That might help you if you have difficulty handling the hair when it's loose, and it looks more complicated. :D

Leslieslsa
December 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Thank you everyone!:o

rohna99
December 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I usually go for a braid or a bun too.

Remember not to detangle your hair when it is wet. Hair is more likely to break when it is wet because it is swollen with water.

I actually sleep with my hair in braids, so that it doesn't get tangled when I wake up in the morning.

meteor
December 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I love your bun! Is that a braided bun? I find those to be the most protective buns with the best hold. They are very simple and yet they look sophisticated and elegant.

I really sympathize with your winter tangles situation. I am having the exact same problem.
I find it critical to be picky about leave-ins and oils, as some of them build up, some solidify, most attract dust and lint which cause tangles.
I also recommend being careful with wool and flannel around your hair: from blankets to sweaters and scarves... try to cover your hair with silk/satin before letting it touch any fluffy or linty materials.
Also wooden tools help prevent static, which is typical for harsh winters, so try using a wooden wide-tooth comb, if you aren't doing so already.
Since you've started wearing buns, you'll find that some hats won't fit and others are too tight. What works well for me instead of a winter hat is a scarf + hood combination.

Best of luck! :) And I hope your hair will get over this winter in the best condition!