PDA

View Full Version : fine/thin hair always looking stringy!

bryana
December 12th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Help!!! I wash about 2x per week with Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo and Aveda Damage Remedy Conditioner (or sometimes Morrocan Oil conditioner). I usually do a CO and Panaceas Hair Salve mask about 2 hours prior to washing to let it absorb. Even on a wash day, after drying my hair seems pretty stringy. To me, its becoming discouraging the longer my hair gets (I am about 2 inches past BSL). I haven't heat styled my hair in over 2 years. I must be doing something wrong. Help!!!

neko_kawaii
December 12th, 2013, 10:44 AM
My hair will look stringy if all the product isn't quite rinsed out.

Also, I love your avatar picture. I have that in my rotating desktop art show queue.

Elanadi
December 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM
My hair used to be stringy, until I switched to organic and silicone and sulphate free shampoo and conditioner. The detergents in regular shampoos were too harsh on my hair, and I had to add so much heavy conditioning conditioner just so I could comb my hair out, and the combination was making my hair miserable, stringy, and static-y. After I switched, my hair is so much softer, and not at all stringy, unless I've been handling it a lot without brushing it. You might experiment with different products and techniques to see if there is a better hair care option for your hair. It such an individual thing.

swearnsue
December 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
My hair gets stringy if I use to strong of a conditioner every shampoo. I use a cheapo Suave or VO5 most of the time and don't put it on my scalp.

dancingrain91
December 12th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I get stringy hair with too much oil or conditioner. In fact, my hair gets so stringy with too much conditioner that I have cut back to a gentler shampoo and only condition once a week. I simply don't wash my hair as often. I also brush gently with a BBB to help prevent stringyness and not touching my hair hardly ever is probably the most important bit.

indiana
December 12th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I have the same issue - too much conditioner, stringy. But, i have to put SOMETHING on the length or I get tangles. Terrible knots of misery that I spend way too much time combing out in the evenings.

My solution to stringy-ness is a dry, texturizing spray. Wash, dry as normal but then add some spray to give the fine texture hair some life.

Not everyone can skip a day washing or use oils to their fine hair benefit!

MsBubbles
December 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Indiana, what is a 'dry, texturizing spray'?

sarahthegemini
December 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM
My first thought was, perhaps the CO and panacea pre-wash is too much for your hair?

Jennielee88
December 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I always had this problem until I bleached it- it's a little drier and less silky than it was before. I think fine, silky hair types do have that tendency. Dry shampoo to make it more 'matte' maybe?

bryana
December 12th, 2013, 05:49 PM
thank you all for the tips, I really do appreciate it!

neko_kawaii - yes!!! thats awesome! i love her art work~

dancingrain91 - does you hair get stringy after say 5 days of no washing? my gets even stringier as it gets oilier. maybe im not managing that properly either :|

sarahthegemini - you very well could be right. i only use panacea pre-wash in the very ends but i tend to overdose on the CO.

jennielee88 - ive got naturally dark hair, can you recommend a type that might blend well?

biogirl87
December 12th, 2013, 06:00 PM
bryana, I find that my hair does get stringyer as it gets oilier (starting on about day 4 or 5 after washing). I tend to brush my hair more often and as it gets oiler I tend to brush my hair upside down to break up the clumps and force my hair into looking like it has a bit more volume. The last time I did this and used dry shampoo, even on day 6 after washing my hair it was looking okay and I probably could have gone a few more days before washing my hair if I really wanted to. I personally think the wavies who have finer or thinner hair need to brush their hair more so that it appears to have more volume in it. Nothing hides the greasies and make my hair appear to have more volume in it more than more frequent (usually 3 or 4 times a day) brushing.

Jennielee88
December 13th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Batiste do one thats dark in colour which is especially for dark hair. Then again I think a lot of shops' own brands do them now. It'll do a similar job to texturising spray by mattifying and 'poofing' up the hair :)

jacqueline101
December 13th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I had that issue until I used dry shampoo on my scalp to get rid of the oil.