PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing Confirmation

Valkyriejae
December 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Alright, so I've finally gotten around to letting my hair air dry without combing it at all (which means it'll hate me for the next 2 days) and this is the result

http://i.imgur.com/zSLEzue.jpg

That makes me a 1c, right?

lapushka
December 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Looks 1c/2a, possibly 2a to me.

leslissocool
December 11th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I'd say 1C/2a actually.

Valkyriejae
December 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks lapushka and leslissocool. But 2a, really? I'm hesitant to go that far, especially since the second I touch it with a comb the waves vanish except at the very ends.

Tini'sNewHair
December 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I need to do this to... eventually. Sorry i cant help tho. Beautiful hair!

leslissocool
December 11th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Well I've always though 2a was amanda seyfried like hair, wavy. My hair at 2B/2C lost most of the curl at about the same length as you, if I use my TT it looks rather straight. 1C doesn't have as much volume as yours has IMO naturally.

biogirl87
December 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Valkyriejae, I would say that your hair is on the border of 1c and 2a, so 1c/2a is probably right. Your hair looks a lot like mine does when it is above shoulder length.

Dandelion6
December 12th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Gorgeous hair. From this photo alone I would say 2a. But since you say it quickly loses the wave then probably 1c/2a is more accurate.

red-again
December 12th, 2013, 01:10 AM
2a for me.

torrilin
December 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
What I'm seeing is a fairly big chunk of hair that is definitely wavy. Not a little wavy, but just plain defined S waves. That chunk is 2a. I'm not seeing any chunks where the waves are really any shorter in wavelength. I'm not seeing any ringlets or hints of corkscrews. So while they're probably there, 2b and up strands of hair aren't bringing a bunch to the party. The rest of your hair all looks to be 1b or 1c, with no visible wave pattern or ginormous s waves.

You've probably got strands of hair that are 4 something in terms of wave pattern. I do :) and I'm a pretty obvious 1. Most type 4 folks have a strand or two that acts like it's 1a. Natural stuff varies. It's fairly common for women with naturally curly hair to have a "real" type that's 3 or more different types. And they're not necessarily uniform!

If you've always assumed your hair was stick straight, even with air drying, even with minimal handling (in my case with bonus history of CO washing), then yeah, 2a may feel kinda weird. But even a 3a or 3b can often get their hair to act stick straight. Curls are super duper delicate. It really doesn't take much to disrupt your curl pattern. Just the movement of turning your head one way or another can be enough. So you're definitely somewhere in the 1c/2a range. Your hair definitely has some of each. Whether you decide that 2a or 1c or a mixed type best describes your hair is (somewhat) up to you.

(for myself, while I do have defined S waves, they're really big and super duper orderly and uniform over my whole head. So 2a would make people think the wave pattern is denser or more visible. 1c better expresses the level of wave... it's there, but the overall impression even in full out I did everything for my waves mode is still "straight". people will seriously ask me on days where I went all out curly girl what I did to my hair to get it to look so straight.)