PDA

View Full Version : How do I use thick hair sticks?

VixenWolfMare
December 11th, 2013, 04:55 PM
So i just purchased this

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/167395091?ref=fb2_tnx_title

What kinds of buns would look good with it? how is best to use it?

dreamingstar
December 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I would recommend buns that don't have to be very tight, like disc or nautilus buns. Anything too tight will pull too badly. :(

Kaelee
December 11th, 2013, 10:13 PM
I've found that any stick, but especially thick ones, hold more comfortably when they're twisted in, like it were a screw. It seems to push the hair out of the way more gently and doesn't dislodge it in a way that pulls, unlike if you push it straight through (you also go slower that way, which also reduces pulling.)

Bagginslover
December 12th, 2013, 04:28 AM
I use thicker sticks in lazy wrap buns. I find they hold the bun better for me than a thin stick :)

Scarlet_Heart
December 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I've found that any stick, but especially thick ones, hold more comfortably when they're twisted in, like it were a screw. It seems to push the hair out of the way more gently and doesn't dislodge it in a way that pulls, unlike if you push it straight through (you also go slower that way, which also reduces pulling.)

This is true! For whatever reason, screwing it in seems to work really well. I like using thick sticks for a disc bun. Here's mine with a really thick hair stake (in tulipwood).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/eelaynuh/8C7A963E-5CDE-4DEE-8B31-70D974FA26AF_zps9ykyjslu.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/eelaynuh/media/8C7A963E-5CDE-4DEE-8B31-70D974FA26AF_zps9ykyjslu.jpg.html)

Helpful Hint: With a thicker stick, wind the bun just a little less tightly than normal. Don't make it loose, but just a little more relaxed than you would with a thin stick.

PS- I love that stick, enjoy!

TiaKitty
December 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Wow, that shop has some beauties! The stick will hold really well, I'm sure, because of the wave in the shaft and the thickness. I agree with the above posters, who say to not wind the bun as tight as usual. I have several thick sticks, and that does help prevent that face-lift tight feeling I get from something pulling super tightly.

Kaelee
December 12th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Also, try the variation of the disc bun (link in my signature)- it doesn't pull as tightly with thicker sticks. :)

chen bao jun
December 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM
That shop has beautiful sticks.
You are 24 inches, I'm only 23 and I find that suddenly I can use thicker sticks, because I can bun a little less tightly now that there is a tiny bit more length. You should be able to make the disc bun and even a lazy wrap bun with the thick sticks easily.

VixenWolfMare
December 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I can not wait to give some of those buns a try!the I really love this sick when i saw it i was like "that ones mine"!!!! :)

jessj48
December 14th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Wow, those sticks are gorgeous. Etsy store favourited. I may need to get myself a treat after Christmas! :)