PDA

View Full Version : people with straight hair, having thicker ponytails?

mamaherrera
December 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I just wonder if anyone else has observed this. Besides my measurement, which for ponytail is 3.75 and seems to never change, whether I shed 200 hairs a day for months or 20 hairs per day for months, pregnant, not pregnant, you name it, that is my number. which I guess I shouldn't complain, I should be happy it doesn't get smaller. but I have wavy/2C hair texture, M/C thickness in strands, but I notice straight haired ladies, their ponytails always look so much more thick/glassy looking, like more coarse and I don't know if it has to do with the difference in texture, or having our hair be in clumps, and theirs all separated, but if you look at the base of mine, not only is it much smaller, but it just looks so much more miniscule (is that a word?) and straight haired ladies ponytails look so much more meatier. Just wondering if others have noticed this. Since we all seem to have that tendency to check out other people's hair, right?

1nuitblanche
December 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
This is funny, since I always think the opposite! My guess is that it is due to the greater contrast between the width of the length of the ponytail with wavy and curly hair - with straight hair, the circumference isn't too much different where the hair is tied and where the hair is loose.

mamaherrera
December 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM
That could be, it's just when I see others with the same measurement of pony tail (like in the pics on here), there's look so much more thicker, yes the "poof" looks bigger, but the base looks small, maybe it's the optical illusion.

chen bao jun
December 11th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I think its the opposite also. I know people with very thick straight hair that have trouble convincing people it is thick because the straightness disguises that.
I actually DO have very thick hair (somewhere around 4.75-5.25 without counting my bangs, I measure different at different times) but it looks even more crazy thick than that because of the curls. (good sometimes, bad sometimes, like anything else)

Anje
December 11th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I always thought the opposite, that curlier hair tended to not get compacted as tightly when ponytailed, so even when two people have the same thickness technically, the curly would probably have a fatter ponytail at the band (and also after it, since it would fluff out). But maybe you're comparing the ratio of the band to the fluff and that makes straighties look like they have thicker hair?

I've seen some immensely thick hair, but my hair, despite being halfheartedly wavy at best, certainly doesn't look it when ponytailed. On the contrary, some of us fineys have what I've dubbed "compactible hair" -- it doesn't look particularly thin when it's down, but it makes tiny little ponytails and buns, because it compresses down a lot.

BTW: 3.75" (if that's not a typo) is nowhere near i/ii. You're going to make all of us with measurements that barely make the 2" mark feel like our hair is anemic.

duchess67
December 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I thought the exact opposite....funny how everyone thinks differently :)

jeanniet
December 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM
The other consideration is if someone has hair that's F, it's going to look like less than someone who has the same number of M or C hairs. So you could actually have F hair that's quite dense and doesn't look it.

mamaherrera
December 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM
no and I"m not complaining, my point is my ponytail looks smaller than everyone else's in the world (to me) even with that measurement. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/asset.php?fid=6719&uid=38962&d=1386798488 ANd mine is M/C, so maybe I just have way less pores than you all with fine hair, so it equals out to be about the same, mine compacts pretty darn good man, once you get all the air out of there, it's not big hair at all.

Kaelee
December 11th, 2013, 10:09 PM
It could be how tightly it is ponytailed too. I have seen curly haired people not even wrap the elastic more than once- their hair is floofy/curly enough that the elastic isn't going ANYWHERE. (I have a coworker who frequently does this, she has very curly strawberry blond hair, the sort that goes triangle shaped when let loose (but in a good way, it's gorgeous!). Her hair is about BSL and I see her a lot with the elastic just stuck on their with one loop. ETA for clarification- the hair is only pulled through the elastic once)

I think that, if you do an experiment with several hairtypes and thicknesses doing ponytails with the same number or wraps, you might see pretty mixed results. I think curls disguise thinness as much as straight hair disguises thickness- someone who's hair is curly and poofy, but on the thinner side, might have a skinny ponytail if they tie it tight enough.

mamaherrera
January 11th, 2015, 10:28 PM
reviving this thread, just to say it's true, it depends on what elastic band you use, how many times you wrap, but as you can see mine, when I get it in three wraps, it looks small, at least to me!