PDA

View Full Version : Baby Fine Hair and Tangle Teezer

UP Lisa
December 11th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Wondering if you use the Tangle Teezer, and if so, do you use it on wet or dry hair, or both?

lapushka
December 11th, 2013, 02:00 PM
I have one, and it's used on dry hair (before a wash) here. It's absolutely great, doesn't snag (the sound is something else entirely, of course) and doesn't pull on the scalp - not one bit. All in all great product.

I seem to remember a TT thread for finy's though!

midbackorbust
December 12th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I have pretty fine hair and use mine when it's dry too :)

metricfuture
December 12th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have an original tangle teezer that I keep at the house, and I keep one of the newer "compact" versions in my purse just in case. I use it on both dry and damp hair (I do use a coney detangler on damp hair first) with no complaints. I don't even remember the last time I used a standard brush or comb.

MandyBeth
December 12th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Dry only. The sound effects are freaky, but no damage.

I can't brush or really even comb wet, guaranteed snappy snappy breaky breaky.

UP Lisa
December 12th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Thank you all. I do hate the sound, and I haven't really been able to tell if it is causing damage or not. I have trouble getting through my hair with anything. A comb is the worst. A very soft brush seems to be the best, but hard to even find. I have tried the brushes made for babies, but they are nylon and create so much static that I have tangles from that.

I'll have to try the teezer again, I guess.

TheWhiteRabbit
December 12th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I have very fine, thin hair and I just bought the TT. I have used a regular paddle brush that just ripped through my hair for well over 10 years now. It recently dawned on me that my hair has so much damage due to my brushing habits. I haven't used the TT very much but I like it and it does not appear to be eating my hair like my paddle brush used to :doh: :doh: I brush my hair when it is dry.

animetor7
December 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I use a seamless wide tooth comb when my hair is wet or damp and I use my tangle teezer on dry hair.

Amapola
December 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I've got a tangle teaser, but recently got a very fine and soft BBB. I have switched to the BBB. I don't know that the TT was doing any damage, but... I don't feel any snags or pulls with the BBB. In the meantime I have the TT for a backup, if I am trying to do something particular with my hair (like braid it) I use the BBB first, then the TT.

I only use it dry, never wet.

0xalis
December 13th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I just found that I have a brush that works very similar to a tangle teaser, and upon using it I've figured out that I should probably only use it before a wash :p
It definitely detangles... and also distributes sebum throughout the hair! :lol: Reminds me of what people say a BBB does.

midbackorbust
December 13th, 2013, 01:27 AM
If it helps any, you could try using different tools in combination. I like to get the big tangles out with a TT then go throughout with a comb :shrug:

Stray_mind
December 13th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I use TT on dry or allmost dry hair. I never comb or brush wet hair. I like TT, i get much less breakage than with any other brush.

YamaMaya
December 13th, 2013, 04:03 AM
I only use mine on dry or almost dry hair. I wouldn't brush my hair wet with any kind of brush, no matter how gentle. It seems that the TT was designed with fineys in mind, my husband uses one (on orders from me :p) on his baby fine hair and he said it definitely hurts less than a normal brush, and there's less broken hairs from it.

UP Lisa
December 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Wondering where you found the soft BBB? I have an old one that I use, but it would be nice to have a backup. I have ordered a couple that were supposedly soft, but they are not.

I've got a tangle teaser, but recently got a very fine and soft BBB. I have switched to the BBB. I don't know that the TT was doing any damage, but... I don't feel any snags or pulls with the BBB. In the meantime I have the TT for a backup, if I am trying to do something particular with my hair (like braid it) I use the BBB first, then the TT.

I only use it dry, never wet.

mariazelie
December 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I use TT on dry or allmost dry hair. I never comb or brush wet hair. I like TT, i get much less breakage than with any other brush.

I have noticed other people say they never comb or brush wet hair. I have always been afraid to try that, not knowing what sort of nightmare of tangles I would have when it is dry. Any comments on how it works?

Amapola
December 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM
@UP Lisa: Mine is very old, it's a vintage celluloid hair brush. I have no idea if they are all like that. Maybe go to antique stores and try them out? From what I have seen, they are not real expensive - less than $20.00, usually, sometimes a little more if they are real fancy. I've seen them for sale on Etsy too.

@mariazelie: Hair is a protein fiber, and like all protein fibers, it gets weaker when it is wet. Cellulose fibers (like cotton, or linen) become stronger when they are wet. That's why you will never see a wool sail on a sailing ship... the wool, being a protein fiber, would get weaker from getting wet in the seawater, whereas cotton (for example) gets stronger. You can ask a weaver about this too: when you are weaving with a wool warp, you can leave it tensioned all the time. If you are weaving with a linen warp (for example) you keep a bottle of water nearby and spray the warp all the time, and take the tension off when you are done weaving. If you do not do this, when you come back in the morning you just may find snapped warp threads. Very aggravating to repair. Well, your hair works the same way. It's at it's weakest when it is wet; that is not the best time to put pressure on it by combing or brushing it.

LauraLongLocks
December 14th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I detangle with my TT, then check to see if all the tangles are gone with my wide-tooth bone comb. Then I brush with my BBB. After I do that, I CO or CWC wash, using cones on the length, but never on the canopy. I wrap a regular cotton terry cloth towel around my head in a turban style, but don't rub my hair at all with it. After the towel is wet from my hair, I switch to my turbie twist and wear my hair in it until I get dressed and I'm ready to deal with my hair. I let my hair down from the turbie twist and spray a leave-in coney conditioner/detangler into my hair and detangle with the TT. I check with the wide tooth bone comb to be sure I have all the tangles out, and then I proceed to dry my hair using Madora's fanning technique combined with my blow dryer on low speed / cool air. I blow dry it until it's halfway dry and then I add some coconut or jojoba oil to the length and ends. I'm experimenting with some other leave-in serums and stuff, too. Then I continue to blow dry until it's mostly dry, at which point I use the TT again, and put my hair up for the day (if it's morning), or into a sleep cap (if it is night). I don't take it down or out of the sleep cap until I am ready to put it up or wash again. My hair never gets very tangly keeping this routine.

Sorry if that was too much detail.

biogirl87
December 14th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I have noticed other people say they never comb or brush wet hair. I have always been afraid to try that, not knowing what sort of nightmare of tangles I would have when it is dry. Any comments on how it works?mariazelie, I also tend to have many tangles in my hair if I do not comb my hair when it is damp. My typical routine on wash days is brush my hair when it is dry before washing, wash with shampoo (I do not use conditioner in my hair), during wintertime I wrap my hair in turbie twist for 10-15 minutes to speed up the drying time (it's likely that in the summer I will stop using the turbie twist), take my hair out of the turbie twist and let it air dry the rest of the way without touching it. While this routine on wash days gives me quite a few tangles by the time my hair is dry, I find that running my fingers through my hair gets most of the tangles out. The ones that are left my brush goes through without many problems.

UP Lisa
December 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thank you for the ideas.

@UP Lisa: Mine is very old, it's a vintage celluloid hair brush. I have no idea if they are all like that. Maybe go to antique stores and try them out? From what I have seen, they are not real expensive - less than $20.00, usually, sometimes a little more if they are real fancy. I've seen them for sale on Etsy too.

@mariazelie: Hair is a protein fiber, and like all protein fibers, it gets weaker when it is wet. Cellulose fibers (like cotton, or linen) become stronger when they are wet. That's why you will never see a wool sail on a sailing ship... the wool, being a protein fiber, would get weaker from getting wet in the seawater, whereas cotton (for example) gets stronger. You can ask a weaver about this too: when you are weaving with a wool warp, you can leave it tensioned all the time. If you are weaving with a linen warp (for example) you keep a bottle of water nearby and spray the warp all the time, and take the tension off when you are done weaving. If you do not do this, when you come back in the morning you just may find snapped warp threads. Very aggravating to repair. Well, your hair works the same way. It's at it's weakest when it is wet; that is not the best time to put pressure on it by combing or brushing it.