PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite winter hair oil?

DancingQueen
December 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
So, winter is upon us, and I don't know about you guys, but my hair is going crazy! And I mean scary-crazy. I just put some olive oil in my hair, and I am planning on leaving it on all night, and wash it out in the morning. I never tried olive oil before, since I was afraid it would weigh my hair down, but right now, it might be just what I need.

So, what are your favorite hair oil for the wintertime? :)

Sharysa
December 11th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Well, I'm sticking with my usual sweet-almond and sweetgrass oil mix. Although the cold, rain, and wind mean that I just need more of it than in the summer/autumn.

prettyinpink
December 11th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Argan with lavendar

Tia2010
December 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I've been loving Macadamia oil lately. It soaks in well and leaves my hair so soft and shiny and it smells SO good!!:crush: I also like Olive oil as a pre-wash oil.

Long_hair_bear
December 11th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Coconut oil as a prewash, Nightblooming oil as a leave in.

Aingeal
December 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Argan as a leave in, coconut and evoo as a heavy oiling prewash once a week.

YamaMaya
December 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'm fairly new to oils, but I'm going to try using grapeseed as a leave in with some watered down conditioner, and olive as a deep conditioning treatment, as winter has left my hair extremely "thirsty" :P.

Mayflower
December 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I've been using coconut oil as a pre-wash lately, two times per week, mostly massaging it into my scalp because it's unbelievably dry. I dampen the rest of my hair and soak it in my conditioner, and let it all sit in a shower cap for 2-6 hours. After washing it out (conditioning once or twice as well), I'll put some leave-in in and let it air dry. This whole procedure seems to be the only thing that gets rid of the ridiculous static that's haunting my hair every winter;

Valkyriejae
December 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Well, I'm sticking with my usual sweet-almond and sweetgrass oil mix. Although the cold, rain, and wind mean that I just need more of it than in the summer/autumn.

Sharysa, where do you get sweetgrass oil??? I love the smell of sweetgrass, but I've never seen it as an oil before

Scarlet_Heart
December 12th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Olive oil and petroleum jelly are working nicely for me. But instead of putting a lot of oil in your hair and washing it out, maybe try just putting a little in your hair after the wash and comb it through. I have really coarse hair that's prone to dryness and that works well for me.

Anje
December 12th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I've been using a sesame-coconut mixture that stays soft at my room temperature, and my hair seems cool with it. I also know there's a small contingent that love mustard oil in the winter, but you have to be a little careful with that stuff (don't get it in your eyes, etc.).

That said, I'm the weirdo with the scalp that reacts to winter dryness and forced-air heating by increasing oil output. My ends still get oiled, but I find I have to was more frequently and more aggressively in the winter because my scalp greases up quickly.

ositarosita
December 12th, 2013, 08:01 AM
My hair pretty much likes anything ... not the biggest fan of pure coconut oil ( so I have it in a serum) but I absolutely love jojoba, macadamia, argan and grape seed.

BambooBeauty
December 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Where do you get your sweet grass? Ive looked everywhere

Sillage
December 12th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I like watermelon seed oil for keeping my ends soft and pliant :rolling:

tbonita
December 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
I've been loving my new black raven oil from henna Sooq that contains argan, jojoba, and camellia along with an EO. It's light and lovely smelling and a tiny drop will do for my fine short hair. I can't believe that at one point I was buying that super super expensive argan oil brand from sephora... Is it processed in solid gold or something?

Lilelfen1
December 13th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Right now I am using Almond, Sweet Orange eo, and Cinnamon Eo. Smells like Christmas, and my hair is drinking it in...

Sillage
December 13th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I can't believe that at one point I was buying that super super expensive argan oil brand from sephora... Is it processed in solid gold or something?

No, it's just a plain old everyday rip off :laugh:

DweamGoiL
December 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I've tried a few oils over time and having really mixed results and wasting lots of money, I tend to not steer away from my tried and true duo; Monoi Oil and Jojoba.

Saldana
December 13th, 2013, 09:20 AM
My all season 'go-to' oil for my hair is jojoba. Occasionally I'll use a TINY bit of coconut oil to smooth down my canopy, but my hair objects to coconut as a heavier leave in.

Other oils I've tried for my hair:
Olive - hates it. Crunchy time.
Almond - weighs it down. Greasy.
Sesame - indifferent
Gardenia - no effect, was like putting nothing on my hair
Castor - big mistake. Nothing more to say about that.

meteor
December 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Definitely mustard oil is king for winter TLC!
In Ayurveda, it is clearly a "winter oil", as it gives a warming, sometimes tingly feeling to skin and scalp.
It is traditionally used in India to prevent hair loss and stimulate hair growth, but I don't think any research has been done to prove its potency.

I also like sesame oil, avocado oil, olive oil in winter, because they seem to be heavy enough to help combat winter dryness.
Argan oil always works for me, regardless of the season. And mineral oil does, too. It's the most occlusive of all oils, apparently.

I am not a huge fan of coconut oil in harsh winters as it solidifies and stiffens my hair in sub-zero temperatures. Too bad, because I have a few bottles of CO that I can't touch right now.

tbonita
December 13th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I am not a huge fan of coconut oil in harsh winters as it solidifies and stiffens my hair in sub-zero temperatures. Too bad, because I have a few bottles of CO that I can't touch right now.

Can you use it for facial cleansing/moisturizing or body moisturizing? I can't use it in my hair right now either and like you have 2 tubs of it, so I started removing makeup with it at night and leaving some residue as a yummy moisturizer. I also made a homemade sugar scrub with it, and I even recently put some in my eye and it fixed a stye!

sumidha
December 13th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm really loving olive oil as a pre-wash treatment this winter. :)

TrapperCreekD
December 13th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I recently started pre-wash oiling with EVOO - my hair is so silky and I have more slip. I also put a dab on the tassel of my sleep braid every night and my ends are loving it!

kidari
December 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM
coconut oil as a pre-wash, argan oil to finish, but i realized that mineral oil has been helping loads with the winter related dryness and static

sapphire-o
December 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
My favorite is a blend of emu oil, rosehip oil and camellia oil. Although I recently discovered that extra virgin olive oil works almost as well as my blend. Wish I didn't spend all that money. :D I don't do heavy oiling, just a few drops at a time.

meteor
December 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Can you use it for facial cleansing/moisturizing or body moisturizing? I can't use it in my hair right now either and like you have 2 tubs of it, so I started removing makeup with it at night and leaving some residue as a yummy moisturizer. I also made a homemade sugar scrub with it, and I even recently put some in my eye and it fixed a stye!
Oh yes, definitely! :) I actually particularly enjoy oils rich saturated fatty acids (like coconut) on my skin in winter. It's a great suggestion for dry skin! Awesome under eyes, on chapped lips, on cracked cuticles, and all over body.
Coconut oil has a reputation for being comedogenic though, so some people won't be able to use it on face successfully.

stinkyfeet
December 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I love Henna Sooq's Cocoveda Oil. It's coconut oil infused with a bunch of Indian Herbs. I have Vatika oil, but the Cocoveda oil is SO much better!

stinkyfeet
December 14th, 2013, 08:05 PM

I have started removing my makeup with it too. I follow with a facial cleanser, and it does leave my skin nicely moisturized. I should try making a scrub with it too!

endlessly
December 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I've been using macadamia oil for about 4 years now, but started to recently dabble with coconut, argan, and monoi oils. Macadamia is definitely still my favorite, though.

Diamond.Eyes
December 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I use virgin coconut oil or macadamia oil as pre-wash and Nightblooming's winter panacea, plumeria monoi oil, or maracuja oil as a leave-in (depending on how thirsty my hair is). :flower:

ErinLeigh
December 17th, 2013, 06:52 PM
coconut pre shampoo. and avocado is my new favorite

Sil
December 18th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Coconut for pre-wash. Camellia or jojoba as a leave-in.