PDA

View Full Version : People with dark red hair unite

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Do you have dark red hair? Or do you dream about having one? Was/is Ariel you favourite princess?
Whether your hair is dyed or your natural hair colour you are free to come to talk here.

As some of you might know I recently made my dream come true with Manic Panic Infra Red. I loved the results. As some of you might know I had some problems covering all my hair but after four tries I finally did it. Now I'm going to enjoy my Ariel hair and keep growing. This has definitely inspired ke to keep growing and taking care of my hair.

What do you use to dye your hair? Box dye, manic panic, henna or other methods? Tell me all about it ;)

Kaelee
December 11th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Me! Me! My hair has been off and on some shade of red since I was a teenager. I used box dyes then, went back to natural for a few years and several years ago started hennaing. I can't see stopping anytime soon. My natural haircolor is medium brown, but I never liked it that much. I love henna!

tigereye
December 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
:) I have always had fairly reddish hair naturally, but its dark brunette, so the natural red (coppery-red, rather than plum-red) only really stood out in bright sun or when you held it up next to a normal dark brown. I started henna-ing it to bring out the red, and I'm quite happy with it. It actually looks lighter when the red is more prominent, but I think its a trick of the light more than anything else. I'm definitely not a read dark-burdundy-red type colour, but its just a bit more coppery than my natural reddish-brown always was. I considered myself lucky that I had fairly red hair naturally, though it wasn't your regular lighter "ginger"

Almendra
December 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
BowTie you look awesome in red :D
In the past I wanted a red vibrant color but since my hair is really dark if I didn't bleach, I only achieve a dark red, but it was very pretty. Then I bleach my hair to achieve my dream color, but it goes pretty damaged. Now I'm going for an ''auburn''. I don't want to bleach. I use box dye (Loreal professional). I think I'm very close, but I'm trying to stretch the dyes.

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Kaelee: My real hair colour is ashy dark blonde and I've never fancied it. I was a bottle blonde for a few years and kinda got bored with it. Blonde haur looks great but bleaching is so drying. I find manic panic didn't hurt my hair at all. I'd love to try henna but I'm scared of using it :D
tigereye: Your hair sounds great!!

ETA:

BowTie you look awesome in red :D
In the past I wanted a red vibrant color but since my hair is really dark if I didn't bleach, I only achieve a dark red, but it was very pretty. Then I bleach my hair to achieve my dream color, but it goes pretty damaged. Now I'm going for an ''auburn''. I don't want to bleach. I use box dye (Loreal professional). I think I'm very close, but I'm trying to stretch the dyes.

Thank you. There are basically 3 colours that suit me platinium blonde, copper red and dark red :D I've tried blacks and browns but it has to be either red or blonde :D
I love auburn hair too , I think it's gorgeous! Good luck!

truepeacenik
December 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Wow. Only dyed reds allowed?

I think unite is the absolute wrong word to use here.
The post creates division, singling out a statistical minority.

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Wow. Only dyed reds allowed?

I think unite is the absolute wrong word to use here.
The post creates division, singling out a statistical minority.

Sorry I forgot to write that also people with real red hair are allowed. I'm sorry. I will fix it.

truepeacenik
December 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks.
So I can answer your question.
My hair is communist. (Or so I was told all through school) :bigtongue:

I'm curious where dark red starts, in people's minds.
Obviously not strawberry, but what about my tones?

FWIW, I will henna as it goes sandy. I'll stop when it reaches silver.
Then I have a demarcation line....

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks.
So I can answer your question.
My hair is communist. (Or so I was told all through school) :bigtongue:

I'm curious where dark red starts, in people's minds.
Obviously not strawberry, but what about my tones?

FWIW, I will henna as it goes sandy. I'll stop when it reaches silver.
Then I have a demarcation line....

I'd say that dark red means different things to different people. Currently I have Ariel hair and I don't think anyone have this kind of colour naturally . However I think there are lots of dark red shades both natural and unnatural. If you feel your hair is dark red, welcome! I'm not going to judge anyone=) To me your hair looks pretty dark and absolutely beautiful :)

ETA:

Feel free to post pictures also. Here is one from me
http://i42.tinypic.com/28wgpi1.jpg

anitacs9101
December 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Meee :) I'm dyed with Manic Panic Vampire Red. And yes, Ariel is my favorite princess, if it wasn't obvious already hahaha.

Here's a recent before/after photo from September 29th. The pic on the left is the faded Manic Panic:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/Hair/manicpanic.jpg

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Meee :) I'm dyed with Manic Panic Vampire Red. And yes, Ariel is my favorite princess, if it wasn't obvious already hahaha.

Here's a recent before/after photo from September 29th. The pic on the left is the faded Manic Panic:

Wow amazing! It was so hard choose between Infra red and Vampire red. I love them both :)

joflakes
December 11th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hellew! Fellow redhead here. I lighten my hair ever so slightly then put veggie dyes on it. I currently have a pink based dye on, by Crazy Colour. It's in my avatar :D

door72067
December 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I am a former Red (and I miss it terribly!!)

I gave up the dye 26 months ago and nearly virgin now...won't be going back...no matter how much I want to

and anitacs9101...seeing your hair makes it VERY difficult for me to keep my resolve!! wow!!

chen bao jun
December 11th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Bowtie, I have seen natural hair that is the color of yours (but the face looks completely different, of course Fair and freckled). I have never seen natural hair the color of anitacs9101. both are pretty. I think red hair looks very nice, though there is some prejudice against where I live, I'm not sure why. It's considered to be 'hillbilly'. Maybe a lot of mountain people are from Scots or Irish background where you get the various shades of red hair?

swearnsue
December 11th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I was natural red head when I was very young and my hair darkened into a medium brown with some red highlights. I henna now. I like how it looks in the sunlight.

kerbear
December 11th, 2013, 02:54 PM
natural dark blonde (but going lighter as I age) now henna head here! I absolutely LOVE vibrant red hair! My hair has been pretty much every color of the rainbow LOL and this color is the only one that I repeatedly get compliments on :) I think you're right I also either look good as platinum blonde or red! :blossom:

Aingeal
December 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Me me me! I used to have auburn hair, but it faded to brown. I henna now and love it!

Here I am shortly after my first henna.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/thevictorious6/Mobile%20Uploads/1385299275_zpsfbf76afd.jpg

And heres my hair playing in the sun after a clarifying/acv rinse and no product.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/thevictorious6/Mobile%20Uploads/1385742474_zps9a193a29.jpg

BowTie
December 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
So many replies and beautiful hairs :)
joflakes: Love your colour!
door72067: Good luck with growing. I bet it looks amazing. Maybe in the future I will grow my real hair colour out
chen bao jun: Thank you =) My hair seems tl be difficult to photograph and in pics it tends to look a lot lighter. I'd currently describe it as cherry red. I think my sig pic shows the colour the best. I'm jealous of people who have this hair naturally. I've never understood why so many people dislike redheads.. I find it soo beautiful :)
swernsue: your colour is beautiful!
kerbear: I bet your hair is beautiful!:)
Aingeal: Such a beautiful colour. Love your curls :)

makeminea99
December 11th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I am naturally a medium cool brown, but have been using Lush henna on and off for the past 2 or 3 years. However I have recently tried using Adore hair dye, after someone on here recommended it. It's temparory, 8-10 washes, no ammonia, alcohol or peroxide, and I used the Wild Cherry colour over month-old Lush cacas rouge. The resulting colour is a gorgeous garnet/red wine shade. If I can get a good photo in daylight I will put one on here! But I'd definitely recommend it - for both natural and dyed redheads! Be warned, though - it stains like anything . . .

ETA:

Excuse me if I'm being a bit of a numpty here, but is the shade you've used in the photo on the right Vampire Red? It's lovely!

maborosi
December 11th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Wow. Your hair looks amazing!! It is so healthy and shiny and beautiful!

I've thought of going candy-red, as I call it, but I don't know that it would look right on me.
I really like the bright, blazing reds. But I guess just not on me...

~maborosi~

Unzadi
December 11th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Once and future redhead here - natural color was medium brown with reddish highlights as a child, got darker brown with age. I started coloring in college with Jazzing, in a dark burgundy red tone, which I loved, and it's been off and on coloring ever since.

I haven't colored in a while, but the real clincher that I am a redhead for life is when a friend described me to someone who had never met me as "the redhead" and they immediately spotted me, though my hair was, as current, dark brown. Currently planning on re-redding with Manic Panic Vampire Red. I've never used MP before, but I've been looking at this color for literally years, so time to go for it. Probably in January.

askan
December 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Oh wow.. so beautiful red hairs! bowtie, glad you succeeded in getting enough coverage! Your signature pic is so pretty - it makes such a cool contrast to the silver hair piece! Aingeal, your shade looks so natural in the photos! I'm slightly jeaous but mostly admiring :D anitacs9101, awesome red tone. I don't think I'd be able to stop staring if I saw your hair IRL..but the before picture is beautiful too!

I'm no red head myself so I just popped in to admire ;) I dyed my hair ginger/red for a few years and for a little while it was rather dark. The copper tones suited me, but the darker burgundy/auburn tones I tried unfortunately didn't, and being ashy blonde it's too much work for me trying to keep a darker colour fresh and vibrant.

BowTie
December 12th, 2013, 05:29 AM
makeminea: Your hair looks so pretty! Love the colour :) Is Lush Henna good? I've been thinking about trying it as in my country is so hard to find henna. Red raj henna seems amazing too :)
maborosi: Do you have cool,neutral or warm skin? I think it depends on that. If you look good wearing cool reds in your lips you are cool and if you look better with warm red you are probably warm. I'm definitely cool. I need cool hair colours such as cool reds, platiniums... golden tones don't suit me! Maybe you should try dye that is going to wash off?
Unzadi: Red is such a great colour! And pretty sure it will look good on you. And Vampire Red is such an amazing colour.
askan: Thank you, so kind of you :) I'm ash blonde myself so having darker colours is pain in the arse lol!

ETA:

I'm so happy with my colour today :) I'm wearing my hair in Gibson tuck. Haven't worn that style for ages. Do you have to change your make-up when you change your hair colour? When I was blonde I used lots of blues in my eyes. I just tried green in the outer corner of my eyes. It looks amazing. My eyes are hazel. I've noticed blonde hair makes them look more brownish but with red hair I get pretty dark green eyes :) My daytime make-up is a bit of concealer, some bronzer, blush, green eyeshadow in the corner of my eye, mascara and lip balm.
Has anyone tried Garnier Olia? I really love the shade Dark red :)

Here is my gibson tuck :
http://i43.tinypic.com/nvodjl.jpg

SaffronK
December 12th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Red means beautiful! It seems like the quest for the perfect red is neverending journey. I used to use Ion Brilliance burgundy (the semi permanent actually lasted longer for me than the permanent for me) but now use peroxide and henna. All of the reds in this thread are inspiring. Go red!

kerbear
December 12th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I should have posted a pic before, but it's a bit old... however, the color is the same :) but I have gained a lot more length! YAY FOR LHC! :magic:

I have a few of my pics posted in this thread. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112179&p=2435615&viewfull=1#post2435615) I need to take new ones, but I live near Seattle and well... we don't get sun a lot during this time of year LOL

BowTie
December 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM
SaffronK: I'm sure your hair is beautiful. Red is such an amazing colour and it has many beautiful shades:)

kerbear: Wow, your colour is so beautiful and shiny! I'm really interested in red raj :)

walterSCAN
December 13th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Ooo! Me! :waving: :D

I use henna over my natural light brown (and leave it on my hair 12+ hours to get a dark red). I'm going to have to take some newer pictures of it soon-- my avatar and siggy pics are a few years old (from when I was still growing out dark brown dye). There's zero dark brown left, now.

LOOOOVE the reds I'm seeing in this thread-- very nice, ladies!